Spice Mi 410 smartphone. 1Ghz snapdragon | 4.1" | Froyo | 5MP | 15K

The phone is finally up at the spice webpage Spice Mobile

@akitosforever --> Yes I meant a decent box at least. Not something like which looks for a 1k phone. The screen is WVGA only but not 16M.

The box did not mention any memory card hence wont be there. Anyway a boxed 2GB memory card is not useful at all anyway nowadays.

St00pfie --> Eagerly waiting for your sample videos. Also since you have used this phone for a few days now perhaps a followup to your review too in terms of battery life, performance, issues, display, touchscreen, internet/market connectivity etc.

Able to root it or not? Tried swype? or any other thing which you can think of which can help more people convinced about buying this phone :)

Check this out: MobileWatch: Spice Mi-410 review
The guy seems to have recently posted some videos showing the mi410 doing stuff. The screen looks satisfactory...I have almost made up my mind to buy this phone, but I am still not sure about its display colors, 262k or 16M. Even if it is 262k, in the the videos it seems ok, although it can be only be truly verified by looking at pics.

manish_bhaumik said:
The phone is finally up at the spice webpage Spice Mobile

@akitosforever --> Yes I meant a decent box at least. Not something like which looks for a 1k phone. The screen is WVGA only but not 16M.

The box did not mention any memory card hence wont be there. Anyway a boxed 2GB memory card is not useful at all anyway nowadays.

St00pfie --> Eagerly waiting for your sample videos. Also since you have used this phone for a few days now perhaps a followup to your review too in terms of battery life, performance, issues, display, touchscreen, internet/market connectivity etc.

Able to root it or not? Tried swype? or any other thing which you can think of which can help more people convinced about buying this phone :)
Grrrrrrrr.......cant we tell the buggers not to short sell their own stuff and put the display as friggin wga and not hvga Screen

and yes Im awaiting a 2nd round of user review as well. This is like waiting for Xmen 2 .....when so many things were left in the Xmen- 1 unanswered :p, weird analogy ...but u can draw the comparison eh

Deathbearer said:
Also Want to know about how well the HDMI out works
u can check this video for HDMI out

btw Huawei/Spice/Olive/Cherry mobile/Wellcom/Viewsonic all re-brands this device, the actual manufacturer is FIH/CMCS (Foxconn). :)

Arnolin said:
Check this out: MobileWatch: Spice Mi-410 review

The guy seems to have recently posted some videos showing the mi410 doing stuff. The screen looks satisfactory...I have almost made up my mind to buy this phone, but I am still not sure about its display colors, 262k or 16M. Even if it is 262k, in the the videos it seems ok, although it can be only be truly verified by looking at pics.
Its should be 16 M only as X6 spec showing the 16 M colour.....(on GSM Arena)

Sorry about the delay,guys. The upload kept failing earlier. So here are the videos for your viewing pleasure !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofRhecTIbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGXiiBe6f-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3yjShlgcqw

The resolution is WVGA (says so in Elixir). Regarding 262K/16m colours, is there a way to tell for sure? When i googled about it, the consensus seemed to be it's not really that obvious ( for a normal user) unless you're looking for it specifically. Feel free correct me if i'm wrong here. Also, links to tools to tell the difference would be appreciated.

I got a Defy for my sis last night. She wanted one like mine but decided against having 2 exact models in the same household (plus i was itching to get my hands on a Defy after having read so much about it lol) i found the touch of the Defy much softer but the mi-410's touch wasn't bad at all. After having used the mi-410 the Defy's screen looked puny !!

Also visited a Spice hotspot. The moment i whipped out my phone they treated me like kin :rofl: They said it was a hot-selling item which could well be true too.

@Deathbearer Random stranger on that page would be yours truly ;) Good find !

I've rooted my phone but got stuck at making a ROM dump. If anyone here knows how, i'd be much obliged. i've scoured xda for info on it but nothing about the errors i've encountered. I'll have to look some more i guess.

suveer said:
u can check this video for HDMI out

btw Huawei/Spice/Olive/Cherry mobile/Wellcom/Viewsonic all re-brands this device, the actual manufacturer is FIH/CMCS (Foxconn). :)

I Have Seen That But Does Spice Provide The Required Cable......... I Think Not Also They Have Not Advertised About The Same
akitosforever said:
I could not spot if the update was gingerbread.......it just said upgrade,without any details...do u have any further details to confirm?

Did u dload the fine and check the contents?

Else I feel could be quite risky

Dude I Dont Have The Phone Was Just Trying To Help:p
For More Info Go here
Install Gingerbread on Spice Mi 410 now [Official build from Huawei X6 variant] | AndroidOS.in

Deathbearer said:
I Have Seen That But Does Spice Provide The Required Cable......... I Think Not Also They Have Not Advertised About The Same
Dude I Dont Have The Phone Was Just Trying To Help:p

For More Info Go here

Install Gingerbread on Spice Mi 410 now [Official build from Huawei X6 variant] | AndroidOS.in

NO worries yaar.

Anyway, I was getting impatient with the choices ( desire /Defy /Mi 410 ) and finally Sunday came and I purchased Mi 410 .

someone had asked if it has spice logo/sticker in front , no it does not , it has one at the back.

Basic questions have been answered by stoopie but still , if anyone has any question u r welcome to ask, and me being a nu bee @ android will probably learn from the silliest of questions.
Final Price for me was 13500/- , saholic gyaan did not work this time, so could not do a 5% discount , but still managed to get Rs500 off . I checked with other hotspot in between , but those guys flatly refused.

Few imp things he told me if I buy from Hotspot is :

1) I dont have to go the spice service center in case of any question, can drop it to Hotspot ( good thing considering , more than the phone Im leery abt the post sales location and quality of service).

2) Hotspot do 7 day unconditional exchange of cell ( same model) in case of any genuine firmware /hardware or manufacturing issues within 7 days of purchase. nt much , prbbly 1 in 100 cases but can make a difference if you are the chosen unlucky one to receive faulty piece. ( happened to me once with SE c905, n Im still suffering).

Add me to the owners club coz yesterday I also picked up the Spice Mi 410 from Spice Hotspot (Somajiguda, Hyderabad) @ 13,300 (Saholic Price) + Chose interest free EMI option with extra 299 from HDFC for the heck of it. Got the card swiped for 15000 which seems to get a 750 bonus rewards points from HDFC (not sure) for Hotspot customers.

Did not buy a SD card because I wanted to pick up a Class 6 8GB one and the only ones he had were Class 4 and costed 250 more than ebay prices. Need time to go through everything and need an SD card to try out anything at all (cant download + cant record pics/videos). Registered for Swype beta but cannot download without the SD card.

Few things i noticed so far:

1) Phone gets slighly warm from the bottom side (hence kept it in pouch upside down for ventilation today morning onwards). I expected this when i was using it, but today morning when I checked it was still a little warm. Figured I stuck it in the pouch @ night while it was warm so probably did not get a chance to cool off. Since morning I do not find it warm but did not use it much as well.

2) The main (home) screen and menu screens do not rotate. Is that an android thing (new to android here) ? Can somebody confirm? Coz Nokia C6 main screen rotates.

3) Its android 2.2.2 (will not upgrade to gingerbread for now till I am sure the phone is perfectly fine. Maybe not even then till Spice comes out with its own). Not rooted it yet as well.

4) Speaker output is not too great. Noise distorts sometimes at full volume (listened to radio and youtube). This will apply to ringtones as well I guess. Yet to try Mp3 ringtones. If felt i may miss calls when I am on road. Maybe keeping it upside down in the pouch will help since the speakers are at the bottom.

5) 1 GB space free is shown on onboard.

6) Touchscreen is good only. Was it my imagination or did i see it a little stubborn while it was charging, that I am not sure. Without charging I also felt the keyboard was a little too sensitive in the landscape mode only. Kept taking multiple keypresses at times. Not too sure about this yet.

7) A decent percent of battery drain overnight. In the morning it was 82% from a full charge + some Wi-Fi from the previous night. The battery bar showed that 42% of the battery usage was from stand by.

8) Call quality loud and clear. Bro said he could hear me perfectly fine.

9) I feel i need a better case. One which I can use the phone without taking it out. Any ideas anyone?

@ St00pfie -> I am sharing the pics of your phone with my family and few friends who are not at techenclave :) Figured they were better than any pic i could take with my camera. Hope you dont mind.

I bought one yesterday too.

Updated to GB v2.3.4 using the Cherry mobile fw.

Initial impressions (mere one hour of use):

Really loving the phone except the crappy battery cover. Stupid thing took me half an hour to put pack and I upgraded to GB in a heart beat!

The LCD has an orangish tinge to it. Specs say its 18bit, well so was the blade ;)

Good enough for me. ymmv

Really snappy phone. Rooted with adb and rageagainstthecage manually.

Who needs CM7 when you have vanilla GB which works reliably.

Waiting eagerly for the oc kernel and custom recovery.

^ u rock buddy, u rooted it almost immediately after purchase..:clap:
can u post detailed review after using it for a while with 2.3.4??:)

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
I bought one yesterday too.

Updated to GB v2.3.4 using the Cherry mobile fw.

Initial impressions (mere one hour of use):

Really loving the phone except the crappy battery cover. Stupid thing took me half an hour to put pack and I upgraded to GB in a heart beat!

The LCD has an orangish tinge to it. Specs say its 18bit, well so was the blade ;)

Good enough for me. ymmv

Really snappy phone. Rooted with adb and rageagainstthecage manually.

Who needs CM7 when you have vanilla GB which works reliably.

Waiting eagerly for the oc kernel and custom recovery.
Damn... you beat me to it !! Was gonna install 2.3 tonight myself. Peel off the sticker on panel's back. It's easier to open without it.

@manish_bhaumik. Welcome to the club !! Regarding the pics usage, thanks for the compliments ! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

abhijitabhijit said:
I got the phone yesterday.. So far so good.. One thing.. it has 900 MB internal memory and not 2GB as advertised on different sites..

The total internal memory is shown as 1.1 gb in mine. What i think is it has a lot of partitions most of which are not accessible to us. The total ought to be 2gb.

Not so fast :(

You lose root access after you wipe data on the GB update.

So here's some advance warning for those updating to GB.

SuperOneClick with RATC / Gingerbreak etc. DO NOT work. Infact I don't know if its possible to root on GB as yet on this phone unless you have rooted on Froyo and not wiped data.

I am returning back to rooted Froyo.

Though yeah, first thing I did was root. next was GB. And now I am back to square one :cry:

is it just me or all owners of Mi410 , that the still cam quality seems below par.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok, calling attention of all android experts here:

Im having these issues , if anyone could provide directions , Id be grateful

1) When I connect my phone MI 410 to PC as well as lappie (both on windows 7), it does not show any phone memory or Micro sd storage device, I simply get a pop up showing the device as cd rom with 0 memory ??? . when I googled this , people with other android sets also seem to be having these problems, but most of the time issue got resolved automatically .....any one else facing this issue or faced in the past????

2) How do I put proxy settings on my phone , it seems there is no direct option by google/os to put proxy in connection/browser settings? If I install opera I can definitely put proxy in the browser, but still the native apps wont have access to connection , unless proxy is specified in the mail cnx settings.

Since I dont have GPRS in my phone plan, wifi is the only way to get my phone connected to the net.

I had given my self 5 hours today to setup my phone.......but cud nt even get started . :(

Any (quick)help would be appreciated,

Back