Storage Solutions ST3500320AS 7200.11 Dead, Seagate is giving Replacement with DATA RECOVERY.

Had a 7200.11 go kaput on me Thursday! The damn thing does not show up in the BIOS. Switched the drives PCB with another good 7200.11. It shows up but the drive now starts with its clicking.....
Well took it to Stellar ... the chaps do not charge by the amount of data (18 or so GB) but rather by the size of the drive - Rs. 38,000 for recovery.
They say that apart from the firmware it may be due to a head crash (which it does sound like).
Anyone know a good data recover place in Delhi? Max I may spend is about 10K-15K on this.

DarkNight said:
Switched the drives PCB with another good 7200.11.

You shouldnt have changed the PCB. You might've messed up the disk a lot. Each PCB (I heard this from my data recovery guy) is unique. So you just cannot slap another PCB to this drive and start things off.. You just cannot do that :(

i also lost yesterday my ST3500320AS AS due to firmware problem

it was running with SD15,i was planning to update the firmware but before updateing all of sudden its not detecting

now i can't update the firmware,it has warranty till 2013 but what about DATA?

can any one tell me any good data recovery shop at new Delhi

Got the data recovered from Sudheer in Bangalore. Cost 3000/-

they have any branch in delhi?

blackperl said:
i also lost yesterday my ST3500320AS AS due to firmware problem
it was running with SD15,i was planning to update the firmware but before updateing all of sudden its not detecting
now i can't update the firmware,it has warranty till 2013 but what about DATA?
can any one tell me any good data recovery shop at new Delhi

Dude... try the contacts given in this thread first. If they report anything wrong with the drive then get it back as it is and try a local data recovery guy. Mostly its a problem that can be repaired by Seagate within a jiffy...

djmykey said:
You shouldnt have changed the PCB. You might've messed up the disk a lot. Each PCB (I heard this from my data recovery guy) is unique. So you just cannot slap another PCB to this drive and start things off.. You just cannot do that

But I have heard of people trying PCB replacements on their dead hard drives and it's always worked!

:tongue:
djmykey said:
You shouldnt have changed the PCB. You might've messed up the disk a lot. Each PCB (I heard this from my data recovery guy) is unique. So you just cannot slap another PCB to this drive and start things off.. You just cannot do that :(

That's not absolutely correct. Even the guys at Stellar would have done the same. The thing is to use the exact same revision / model! What they also said is that if its a head crash, then they open it up in a clean room and do a head transplant from a known good drive.

guys i have a seagate 300 GB HDD with 8mb cache memory and its blazingly fast than my seagate 500 GB HDD with 32mb cache memory...

Both are SATA HDD and i tried copying a file from DVD on these HDD's to check the performance and i found the 300GB to be fast...

the 500GB is the same 7200.11.. could you guys let me know whether this is a normal behavior or should i update my firmware?

ST3500620AS dead, want data recovery, gave at a place for recovery but need the model logic control card.... can u say where can I find it....

alto said:
ST3500620AS dead, want data recovery, gave at a place for recovery but need the model logic control card.... can u say where can I find it....
WHICH place are u from?? If bangalore.. check out Data Recovery Systems. No is mentioned in the thread ... COntact person: Mr. SUdheer... Quote him my name.. i.e Hemant... He knows me well....

hemant0285 said:
WHICH place are u from?? If bangalore.. check out Data Recovery Systems. No is mentioned in the thread ... COntact person: Mr. SUdheer... Quote him my name.. i.e Hemant... He knows me well....
No I'm from Kolkata, can u say any alternative....

diabloReigns said:
Sudheer does a decent job, if you really want the data recovered, you can ship the drive to me or anyone else in bangalore, and we can get it done.

U can courier (take special care of the packaging) it to someone u know in bangalore.. and get it done by sudheer.. they do it well for 3k...

ok i read the full thread n i found that i faced the same problem like many of u have already

just 3 days ago my drive went dead, its ST3500820AS , Firmware: SD35 ,

n its 460 Gb of games n movies which i dont wanna loose, so i'll see if seagate does anything abt it, also i heard someone saying data recovered in PUNE, guys plzz reply

nikolain said:
..... also i heard someone saying data recovered in PUNE, guys plzz reply

That would be me... let me know if you need details abt my recovery guy...
I would suggest you to try out Seagate first... if they levy charges; check with my guy weigh the options and then decide :)

djmykey said:
That would be me... let me know if you need details abt my recovery guy...

I would suggest you to try out Seagate first... if they levy charges; check with my guy weigh the options and then decide :)

i think u shud give me the no. of ur person , coz seeing that Seagate r not doing any kind of good service , doing it locally will be good

Back