WTB Standalone CD/DVD player or a working old hifi system with Remote, with or without USB

Update
Right so fosi is till with me as it has been given an extended date to be picked.
Received Taishan, (though the item has issues and in present condition it's unusable) but I made sure to test for a few minutes and unfirtunately, it didn't sound better than Google chromecast audio despite using a brand new blurigger optical cable and a new amazon basic 3.5mn cable..

So it's use case Scenario would be restricted with the cd player.. O and btw purchased fairly new LG dvd player as well and yet to hook up Taishan with it (the use case for which it was actually purchased)

I am in process to assemble a preamp with 5532 op amps to be hooked upto the fosi and that's the only thing which upon being successful would stop me from returning the fosi..

My intention is to get a small usable case and in it I wish to fit the A901 5532 preamp (pic below) and add a bluetooth board to it as well and run it with a 12V adaptor... Not finding enough time to procure and assemble the setup as the vase/body vendors are not having the kind of case that I want...

Will update...
@greenhorn and @Black_Hawk
What say..
Screenshot_20230916-235423_(1).png

Last edited:
I have already spoken. -1 for pure tone controls - get a tube buffer which has them built in.
chromecast vs taishan difference imo will need a highly resolving system (1lakh ish). Not going to show up on a class T amp driving sony minicompo speakers (no offense)
or maybe something like a 10K IEM setup and lossless music. And you will notice only if you go hunting for it. During casual listening they will be unnoticeable

Not sure about how good/bad the LG DVD Player is, but it should be noticeable vs the taishan, but again only if you are critically listening and A/B comparing

I have already spoken. -1 for pure tone controls - get a tube buffer which has them built in.
chromecast vs taishan difference imo will need a highly resolving system (1lakh ish). Not going to show up on a class T amp driving sony minicompo speakers (no offense)
or maybe something like a 10K IEM setup and lossless music. And you will notice only if you go hunting for it. During casual listening they will be unnoticeable

Not sure about how good/bad the LG DVD Player is, but it should be noticeable vs the taishan, but again only if you are critically listening and A/B comparing
Well, bottom line is budget.. Wish to first setup something cheap and them gradually replace equipments one by one... The tone control is good, I have taken a demo of it.. An aptx ldac enabled bt board might make it pretty handy..

The difference b/w gca and Taishan was pretty noticeable as gca output straight to amp was very warm, open and with good amount of high reproduction whereas when Taishan was attached to gca via toslink and then ultimately to amp via rca, the audio was muffled with pretty bland response...

But you are right something like the T9 or A3 are a no nonsense choice for a dac amp and a DAC...

I am pretty caught up with a lot of stuff atm, hence just couldn't hook up the dvd player even once properly since buying... Then a coaxial cable is needed for it and have to buy that as well.

Still looking for a decent cd player or may be a cd cum tape player as in hifi system...
If anyone has please contact...
Had purchased a lg dvd player but I am not happy with it.

If possible, get a 2nd hand Pioneer DVD player from OLX. All players manufactured around 2009 onwards have an SNR ratio of 115. Sound very open with Audio CDs, and high bit rate MP3s. Really good stuff.

Thanks.

Still looking for a decent cd player or may be a cd cum tape player as in hifi system...
If anyone has please contact...
Had purchased a lg dvd player but I am not happy with it.

Why weren't you happy with the LG DVD Player? If it's the sound quality part that the LG DVD Player didn't live up to then you absolutely must now invest in an external DAC like a Topping E30. Just spend once, set up a decent chain and you will be happy for years to come.
If possible, get a 2nd hand Pioneer DVD player from OLX. All players manufactured around 2009 onwards have an SNR ratio of 115. Sound very open with Audio CDs, and high bit rate MP3s. Really good stuff.

Thanks.

Have you heard OPPO DVD players? I haven't had an opportunity to hear them but have often read and got views from audiophiles that they are also excellent for playing ACDs and sound lovely.

Last edited:
Why weren't you happy with the LG DVD Player? If it's the sound quality part that the LG DVD Player didn't live up to then you absolutely must now invest in an external DAC like a Topping E30. Just spend once, set up a decent chain and you will be happy for years to come.

Have you heard OPPO DVD players? I haven't had an opportunity to hear them but have often read and got views from audiophiles that they are also excellent for playing ACDs and sound lovely
No, I haven't heard any oppo players. But I had a pioneer dvd player. It sounded excellent. Got it 2010. It stopped working during COVID period because my toddler dropped it. The technician couldn't fixed it citing lack of spare parts.
No, I haven't heard any oppo players. But I had a pioneer dvd player. It sounded excellent. Got it 2010. It stopped working during COVID period because my toddler dropped it. The technician couldn't fixed it citing lack of spare parts.

@Black_Hawk
@greenhorn
Somethibg just came to mind
I have a lg v20, g5 lying around they are both verizon and I think v20 has a quad dac..
Is there a way I can use the v20 as dac but still stream wireless lg from another phone.. I know I am being an idiot in asking this as this isn't possible
Is there is a way to connect the lg dvd with lg v20 (as dac) and then it to the fosi

Otherwise what's there in the sale to grab for a budget a audio freak like me.

@Black_Hawk
@greenhorn
Somethibg just came to mind
I have a lg v20, g5 lying around they are both verizon and I think v20 has a quad dac..
Is there a way I can use the v20 as dac but still stream wireless lg from another phone.. I know I am being an idiot in asking this as this isn't possible
Is there is a way to connect the lg dvd with lg v20 (as dac) and then it to the fosi

Otherwise what's there in the sale to grab for a budget a audio freak like me.
Anyone got any inputs about how can v20 or g5 be used as a DAC, to stream from another phone..

Pair both phones via Bluetooth. Select the LG in your source phone as output
Please don't mind but there is no option after connecting both phones with each other via bt to select source etc..

See what I wish to do is connect fosi to v20 via 3.5mm jack (coz only that ll activate the hi fi quad dac..)
Then I wish to connect v20 via Bluetooth to my iphone and play music on Spotify on iphone and then stream to v20 and from v20 the bt music to be sent to fosi so that dac could come into play.
There is no point installing Spotify or playing music directly on v20 as to control it you ll have to be near the v20 all the time.

Last edited:
You can use "spotify connect" to play on the second phone. You need to install the spotify on both the phones. With "spotify connect" you can control the playlist on one phone and play it on the other phone. Connect icon is in the lower left corner.

Screenshot_20231026-001715_Spotify.jpg

@greenhorn , @Black_Hawk

Could you guys help out..
I am still in quest yo buy a good cd player..
I have two low wattage Sony systems in reach.. One is
tape(mechanical) and cd player which is CMT-EH25 10w in total (cd tuner tape usb sections fully working)
Another is just cd player CMT-CX400 50w and it has cd/dvd, Usb, tuner.. Fully working

Both are reasonably priced but both have phono out, no line out really

I used lg dvd player plus Taishan with fosi, and it was underwhelming.. So was looking for something more robust and with proper circuit and all meant to produce good audio.

Please help and post reply before 6 pm as i may have to confirm to one of those two sellers and collect the systmr that time for either one.

Last edited:
Both look ok to me. I would say it boils down to actual condition. Also if either had spdif out, that's useful to me
None of them has Spdif put.
Eh25 has audio in and phones only
Dx400 has mic, phones and video out audio in
Here is the pic of dx400
Here are specifications of both
Dx400 - https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/audio-systems-cmt-series/cmt-dx400/specifications

EH25

Last edited:
I can make do with some bluray player as well.
Any Sony, philips, pioneer hifi system with tape and cd functionality would also do

Whichever offers I got via olx all turned out to be bogus which didn't have proper functionality.

Last edited:
I am still in need of a cd player if not then dvd player if not then a br player or a mini or micro component music system..

I am not happy with the lg dvd player that I had got a few month back.

Let me know

Anyone else looking to dispose/donatr/get rid of/ their cd player or a micro /mini hifi system..
Speakers not needed though.

Back