Suggest a washing machine within 25k max

No, if you soak clothes in detergent water for a few hours, they start stinking like wet dog or something nasty. I don't know how to describe that smell. It doesn't go away even if you rinse the clothes 3-4 times. It just gets worse. Probably decomposition smell of cotton.
I'm starting to wonder whether this is the reason they got rid of 'rinse hold' in front loaders. It's gone on recent base models :sorry:

It was a very useful feature for ironically allowing a soak in that Dettol product for as long as you want because a regular rinse cycle of five minutes isn't enough dwell time to remove smells.

The thing is I've never experienced this smell problem with soaking in a bucket. Nor in a machine if I left the clothes in the last rinse cycle for a couple of hours.

The thing is I've never experienced this smell problem with soaking in a bucket. Nor in a machine if I left the clothes in the last rinse cycle for a couple of hours.
Happens more in a bucket since the soap is concentrated. Maybe the detergent powder and water used makes a difference. In hot water, I've noticed, the clothes start smelling bad after 3-4 hours.

I'm starting to wonder whether this is the reason they got rid of 'rinse hold' in front loaders. It's gone on recent base models :sorry:
Maybe they're just removing features just to charge more for their higher models. I think they even removed the favourite button or what you call, a custom preset button. The costlier models seem to have that option in the app.

I wanted to ask you a question. i filled the drum to the top of the pulsator to balance the machine and saw the water is higher at back than front. The wm back legs are lower than the front legs due to a slope in the tile since it's close to the drain.

Can I use some flat wooden piece to prop the back legs higher? The front legs are at minimum height and there's a ~4mm slope towards the back.

Happens more in a bucket since the soap is concentrated. Maybe the detergent powder and water used makes a difference. In hot water, I've noticed, the clothes start smelling bad after 3-4 hours.
Soap is not responsible for the smell though. It's when it breaks down that the problem starts.

@lockhrt999 can you tell us your experiences about soaking and bad smells if left too long?

Maybe they're just removing features just to charge more for their higher models. I think they even removed the favourite button or what you call, a custom preset button. The costlier models seem to have that option in the app.
Or it allows them to charge less for people on a budget. I notice the feature is available on @terence_fdes machine and that is a 2012 model
I wanted to ask you a question. i filled the drum to the top of the pulsator to balance the machine and saw the water is higher at back than front. The wm back legs are lower than the front legs due to a slope in the tile since it's close to the drain.

Can I use some flat wooden piece to prop the back legs higher? The front legs are at minimum height and there's a ~4mm slope towards the back.
Why not raise the back legs then? would help if you had a spotter while you did it.

This is important as otherwise left unbalanced it will affect spins and put more stress on the shocks, spindle etc. Have to get it right.

Wood is not a good idea because it is soft and over time will depress. The legs are always the best and make sure you tighten the top nut towards the machine once it is level. This is what it looks like on a front loader

make sure you tighten the top nut towards the machine once it is level. This is what it looks like on a front loader

Once leveled, both the nuts need to be tightened towards the base of the machine - that is upwards. Using double nuts is a pretty common technique to achieve friction locking. Single nut will eventually loosen up due to vibrations.

@lockhrt999 can you tell us your experiences about soaking and bad smells if left too long?
I have left it overnight. No smell.

He has hard water and that's the reason for smell. The heat is causing some chemical reaction in the hard salt. It should smell like rotten egg.

I have left it overnight. No smell.
Right, this has been my experience as well so it was surprising to hear
He has hard water and that's the reason for smell. The heat is causing some chemical reaction in the hard salt. It should smell like rotten egg.
This has been known to happen in geysers say. But that is after leaving the water in them for several weeks to a month.

Does he have hard water? @6pack ?
Just 3-4 hours in hot water is enough in this case

The thing is the water is not hot after 3-4 hours. I've done soaks in Vanish in hot water and left it overnight with no issues. Course the thing with Vanish is it releases hydrogen peroxide when then reacts with the activator to become peracetic acid. This oxygen bleach environment is not conducive to any bacterial growth quite the contrary.

Plain detergent has no oxygen bleach and will be at a disadvantage.

So why not try soaking in Vanish then @6pack ? You're going to need it when cleaning the machine in the future anyway

Whether 1 hour or 6 hours in hot water or not I doubt you will get any smells.

Come to think of it this must have been Vanish's USP in the market when it was introduced years ago.

Last edited:
Does he have hard water? @6pack ?
Yes. I see steel utensils have rust marks on them after washing and drying them.

Edit: i used wooden piece to level the washing machine back and the front side i used the screws. Even though the water level is exactly the same on all sides, the machine seems to vibrate a bit at the top while running the spin cycle. So I'll remove the wooden pieces immediately. Not much confidence in them though they do the job. Do those antivibration pads help or should I just get a new stand?

Last edited:
Yes. I see steel utensils have rust marks on them after washing and drying them.
citric acid in hot water will restore them. Like brand new.
Edit: i used wooden piece to level the washing machine back and the front side i used the screws. Even though the water level is exactly the same on all sides, the machine seems to vibrate a bit at the top while running the spin cycle. So I'll remove the wooden pieces immediately. Not much confidence in them though they do the job.
Because it's not stable. I was going to suggest a tile of some sort. Put some anti-skid tape on it.

Did you get any 3M anti-skid pads with the machine? They are like sandpaper with an adhesive back. One square inch. Get four of those from the LG guy and place the machine on them.

Amazon does not have the pads but tape. This is the wet version. I could use this in my own bathroom come to think of it.

Below is dry. You decide which is appropriate

There are knockoffs for less but 3M's name comes from the quality of its adhesives.

Do those antivibration pads help
I don't think they are good. The machine is not designed to run on them. They are supposed to reduce noise by adding dampening. Fine in theory but hard to achieve in practice. Never saw a review that was convincing. It's not the noise that is the problem but excess vibration caused by out-of-balance spins. Unless the machine is better engineered you will have to live with whatever noise it makes during a spin.
or should I just get a new stand?
I'm not a fan of these stands for washing machines btw.

checklist.jpg

Good to see LG's policy is not to push these stands :)

I've never seen a manual recommend a stand but everyone in this country seems to have one. I don't understand why. The demo guys do a good pressure sales job I guess.

Do you move the machine around often? @terence_fdes

Last edited:
Did you get any 3M anti-skid pads with the machine? They are like sandpaper with an adhesive back. One square inch. Get four of those from the LG guy and place the machine on them.
Nope. Just the user manual in a plastic bag.
The reason I use a stand is the water floods half of the balcony. I use the rinse water to clean dust of the balcony every 3-4 days. The amount of dust in my place is very high.

I have had issues with clothes stinking when left in water for a long time when I was in Delhi. I observed that since the water was treated from Yamuna river which was basically an open drainage. The treatment at Wazirpur would regularly fail when treating water with high ammonia content.

So yes, the quality of water also plays a big role on how good the clothes will get washed.

Ah, so this is why I find so little info on the topic when searching. It has nothing to do with hard water which made no sense to me.

If the water coming out of the tap contains germs, to begin with, due to inadequate municipal water treatment then soaking with that water is going to smell over time. Adding clothes is only helping the process as it provides a medium to multiply the germs. You need to use a disinfectant before soaking.

This is why people use old school Dettol. To first, disinfect the water then add the clothes and detergent. Or you could use Vanish. There are also water purification tablets like Suma tabs which I'm a fan of because their dosage instructions are precise implying this is a pro-level product. They recommend it even for food so perfectly safe for clothes.

Last edited:
This is why people use old school Dettol. To first, disinfect the water then add the clothes and detergent. Or you could use Vanish.
How does this happen in FL? I mean you cannot pre-soak it in FL for longer duration.
Or adding it during the wash cycle could be effective? That is the only option I can see.

How does this happen in FL? I mean you cannot pre-soak it in FL for longer duration.
Or adding it during the wash cycle could be effective? That is the only option I can see.
I've never felt a need to soak anything with my FL. All stains come out within reason.

Pre-wash is how FL substitutes soak. It loosens up the dirt so the detergent is better used in the main cycle. No need to add detergent to the pre-wash drawer. I don't see the point since a pre-wash is not heated therefore detergent does not get enough time and won't be as effective. If your tap water is 30+ then using detergent in the pre-wash will be more effective. My washes never occur at a time when the water is anywhere close to that temperature which does not happen very often anyway.

There is no wash action with soaking, so time is needed. If you agitate then you can reduce soak time.

That LG does not offer a soak option with their FL and Samsung does means LG is more confident of their wash action in the main cycle. They see no point in a soak cycle with heated washes and better wash action.
I have had issues with clothes stinking when left in water for a long time when I was in Delhi. I observed that since the water was treated from Yamuna river which was basically an open drainage. The treatment at Wazirpur would regularly fail when treating water with high ammonia content.
A little thought and I figure this is not the answer. Simply because it would be unacceptable at a city-wide level. Your problem in Delhi was poor maintenance in the building you lived in. You got to do your part as well which was not done in your case.

When was the last time you disinfected your overhead and sump tanks @6pack ?

The general rule is once every two years. The way I do it is empty out the tanks, throw a packet of bleaching powder in there, get a broom and some water and brush the walls as that's where the bacteria are. Rinse out and then fill. This is the old school way done on ships. It's an unpleasant business because the fumes can be overpowering.

Maybe others can suggest better ways.

If you don't disinfect your tanks on a regular enough basis bacteria will grow in the tank and contaminate the water. You cannot blame the water supply company for this.

Since you're in an apartment it is up to the association to take care of the sump storage tank but you can do the overhead tank.

Last edited:
When was the last time you disinfected your overhead and sump tanks @6pack ?
More than a year has passed by. I guess by now there's a good build-up of mud in the inside tank.
I don't know what the society does but looking at the muddy water coming from my tap, i guess they haven't cleaned the underground and overhead tanks in the building. And they don't like anyone telling them what to do so...

More than a year has passed by. I guess by now there's a good build-up of mud in the inside tank.
I don't know what the society does but looking at the muddy water coming from my tap, i guess they haven't cleaned the underground and overhead tanks in the building. And they don't like anyone telling them what to do so...
A year is not too bad. I get mud in my tank too. The toilet cistern always has it.

Anyway its clear you have to disinfect your water if you want to avoid smells when soaking.

Generally it's unavoidable that dust/mud gathering at the bottom of the tanks given the bad quality of water. But you can totally avoid getting that gunk through your pipes and choking your taps. Just don't let tanks go empty more than half. If you do let the water level go down to the bottom, the next filling will muddy the water.

Dip alum stone once in a while to keep your water clear. It forces all the dust to settle at the bottom. You can easily remove that dust from the bottom by siphoning.
And use chlorine drops to disinfect the water.

I wonder what will happen if we add dishwasher salt (which turns hard water to soft water) to overhead tank or to TL detergent powder. It's an experiment worth doing.

Last edited:
Back