Suggest me some GPRS plans

Well Vodafone offers Vodafone Live...in Rs 99/- 60MB per day for 30 days...but Vodafone Live is proxy based and many applications are blocked...you can browse sites and Gmail Push Mail works though...

Ya right, but as said by Konquerror you can't use any application, only browsing web-sites are allowed. While others like Tata Docomo and Airtel allows to use anything. So Vodafone is crap in GPRS.

Hey guys, was debating between Aircel and DOCOMO but cant decide. I live in Andheri, Mumbai - any idea which provider has the best service for EDGE?

Thanks....Will try out Docomo then...one last thing...the Rs.48 GPRS scheme has 2GB for the whole month right? can i use this throughout the day or is that 2GB for only night time?

You can use it throughout the day(anytime). Aircel is only good for those who get a tower near to their house. Speeds of docomo is good too but as I said before, It refuses to connect sometimes may be because of network(At least here in Kolkata). So try it out and write a review here. I suggest Airtel. If docomo solves the conenctivity problem it's best as we'll be getting 2GB for only Rs. 48/- where Airtel charges 98/- for 2GB.

Homer said:
Your right.... I think i'll go for Docomo. I'll update u guys on my experience. thanks :D
Thanks, keep us updated. I found Docomo really crap, as it refuses to connect many times. But sometimes when it got connected, I get really good speeds. May be it's because of Docomo network in kolkata is not good.

We'd like to know about other areas too.

For Kolkata users I suggest Airtel.

Ok, heres the deal. I went to the Docomo gallery today and as it turns out, all their GPRS plans are WAP GPRS and not EDGE GPRS. This means its a no go for me as I cant use it on the iPhone :( 48bucks a month for 2GB EDGE sounded too good to be true :p

Homer said:
Ok, heres the deal. I went to the Docomo gallery today and as it turns out, all their GPRS plans are WAP GPRS and not EDGE GPRS. This means its a no go for me as I cant use it on the iPhone :( 48bucks a month for 2GB EDGE sounded too good to be true :p
Those docomo guys are not aware of their own gprs tariff :p

all those plans work just fine

Profle Name: Anything..

APN: TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET

all other settings default and that should work.

their defaults settings are for WAP with APN = TATA.DOCOMO.DIVE.IN

there is no separate plan and same thing works with dive in over Java phones.

Im using the HTTP GPRS/EDGE over android with same TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET APN :)

Are you positive? what sort of speeds are you getting and how's the service? the thing is on the iPhone I can only configure APN, Username and password so are you sure it will work? and finally what GPRS plan are you on? ... sry for all the questions, I dont want to just take a new connection and waste 50bucks

im using the same 48 rupee 2GB per month plan.

you only need to enter the given APN and nothing else.

im not sure about whether that would work on an iPhone since i have not used it on an iPhone, nether do i know of anyone who has.

service is Okayish.. nothing extra ordinary atleast here in mumbai.. but better than loop mobile for me.

the edge/gprs connectivity drops sometimes and may not be available at some places.

i get ~160kbps on an average... the speeds range from 100kbps to 200kbps depending upon location to location.

if you can gamble with 15bucks then go for it and give it a try.

the SIM card is free but you have to do a talktime recharge of certain amount while buying SIM card.. which can be exhausted by normal calling.. i suppose.

i said bamble with 15bucks because that is how much it costs for 3day 500MB package.. i guess that is more than enough Just for testing :)

the one day Rs.5/- package is too small for testing..

Prepay Offers

may not open over chrome.

Ahh...what the heck ... if its working on Android and you dont need any sort of proxy settings then I doubt it should be an issue on the iPhone. thanks a lot dude... will try it out tomorrow :D

cbotadra said:
Buddy m using idea GPRS and iPhone...amazing speeds..go for idea straight away..
idea's service quality surely is awesome here in mumbai too.

i only had one issue..

their tariff once having exhausted daily FUP limit is Rs.5/- per MB.. Docomo charges Rs.0.50/- per MB.

i had subscribed for Idea's 7day plan with daily 60MB FUP.. i never exhausted 60MBs in 24 Hours.. although i was being charged Rs.5/- per MB.. so i stopped using GPRS for 2days to make sure i do not overlap their time limits anyhow somehow.. guess what, i was still being charged Rs.5/- per MB even on the 4th day usage. i made sure it was not 60MB for 7days instead..

well i cant afford to spend Rs.5/- per MB on data so i have settled for docomo.

i still have the idea SIM with me so i will give it a try again this week and see if things have changed at all..

speeds on idea were again in 120-160kbps range for me.. but network was better overall.

I agree sometimes tht happens in prepaid... I use 98 rs unlimited plan which has FUP of 70 MB per day.. I am quite happy with it.. But yes in prepaid thers always risk of wrong deduction or extra deduction of money.. So we do have to keep a watch..but they refund also if it is their mistake.. I gt refund of arnd 100 rs.. :))

cbotadra said:
I agree sometimes tht happens in prepaid... I use 98 rs unlimited plan which has FUP of 70 MB per day.. I am quite happy with it.. But yes in prepaid thers always risk of wrong deduction or extra deduction of money.. So we do have to keep a watch..but they refund also if it is their mistake.. I gt refund of arnd 100 rs.. :))
the thing is that there is data usage in background and that leads to zero balance without noticing..kind of a situation where it becomes helpless to even make emergency request call to friends for recharging your cell.

yes the 70MB FUP.. i had began to doubt if it was 70MB or 70Mb :p

madnav said:
Those docomo guys are not aware of their own gprs tariff :p

all those plans work just fine

Profle Name: Anything..

APN: TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET

all other settings default and that should work.

their defaults settings are for WAP with APN = TATA.DOCOMO.DIVE.IN

there is no separate plan and same thing works with dive in over Java phones.

Im using the HTTP GPRS/EDGE over android with same TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET APN :)
I went to a retail seller of docomo recharge/topup n did the Rs 95 special recharge n he got a message saying "that this plan cannot be activated on this subscriber" does any1 have any idea, y this issue n where to do the recharge...

Back