Suggest phone for 30k

vercetti

Skilled
Hey Guys,

I am plannin on getting a phone but not sure what to get.

i don't want the iphone as I have used it for quite sometime and need a change now

Can you guys suggest me some phones which I can get from here in Melbourne?

• Preferable touchscreen
  • 3G enabled

I can increase the budget if I can get something better.... max budget is 40k

So guys, give me some advices.... Free stuff when i come to India for ppl in Blore:D

Boot_Comp said:
You could also consider the Nexus One from ebay under 30K (unless you are not comfortable getting it from there).
nah the n1 has big time radio problems .. mine failed after 3 months . i sent i back to the us for a replacement ....its has this " no sim " error constantly .. check android forums for the same .

but i do beleive if htc had sorted out the error n1 would be best android phone out there + its now going to be very expensive and rare. 700$ on ebay.com !! and increasing by the day .

the n1 is super fast phone when it comes to browsing with 2.2

sept 15 is date for htc desire hd lauch .. i think u may have a serious apple competitor in the desire hd .

lonelymanav said:
i wonder why people want Iphone 4 . overpriced piece of Shit!!!! htc desire and samsung galaxy s and other smartfones are way better than the Iphone. cost less too...
seems like u didnt read the thread properly.

btw have u used the iiphone 4 with all apps downloaded . ?

khanvis2009 said:
buy samsung galaxy for 28k and sell it the next month .. u get 22-23 max .
buy iphone 4 for 42k and sell it the next month u get 46-48k

not that u would sell it off but there is a reason for that
ROFLMAO!!!! a classic iphone addict talk. use iphone 4 and than talk. iphone 4 selling price is greater than buying price. i used every other phone and nothing beats iphone etc etc. Please dude please.

Did you even read the earlier posts explaining areas where iphone 4 is better and areas where SGS is better?

desiibond said:
ROFLMAO!!!! a classic iphone addict talk. use iphone 4 and than talk. iphone 4 selling price is greater than buying price. i used every other phone and nothing beats iphone etc etc. Please dude please.

Did you even read the earlier posts explaining areas where iphone 4 is better and areas where SGS is better?
as i said and say it agin use the iphone 4 first .. most people have used the 3gs and comment based on that experience ... the 3gs is a piece of junk . most have used the sgs , desire and other androids too .. very few have used the iphone 4 and that too for a week or more .

use the 4 for a week at least , download the apps and come back to this discussion with your comments .

i am not talking about iphones in general .. i am only praising the iphone 4 ... all previous iphone are rubbish, the desire and sgs beat them hands down ... but this gen iphone is fast !

khanvis2009 said:
as i said and say it agin use the iphone 4 first .. most people have used the 3gs and comment based on that experience ... the 3gs is a piece of junk . most have used the sgs , desire and other androids too .. very few have used the iphone 4 and that too for a week or more .

use the 4 for a week at least , download the apps and come back to this discussion with your comments .
i am not talking about iphones in general .. i am only praising the iphone 4 ... all previous iphone are rubbish, the desire and sgs beat them hands down ... but this gen iphone is fast !
iphone 4 over iphone 3GS:

better processor and RAM
better display
front facing camera
better rear camera
three axis gyro

UI side, there is no difference at all. both run the same stale and boring iOS 4.1. In short, iOS is to Android what symbian is to iOS. so, why to spend 42k on a phone just coz it looks good and has truckload of pixels stuck on it's face.

Like I said, I do not fall for aesthetics. It is proven that SGS super AMOLED is an easy match for iphone 4's display (marketing term : retina dipslay, which in essence is just another display with high resolution and pixel density). And the OS that runs on iphone 4 is iOS 4.1 which is running on my ipod touch and also runs on iphone 3GS. The only other extra feature that is visible is the front facing camera. And this is something that non-iOS devices have for a really long time and they don't need wi-fi to make video calls.

@OP, Check this clear cut comparison. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S vs. Apple iPhone 4: Collision course - GSMArena.com

apart from build and construction, iphone 4 is pawned by SGS in every other category. Read it for yourself. Don't fall for fanboy's comments that make one think iphone 4 as magical but sorry, it is not. It's a good phone. I agree but definitely not a phone that you should shell 42k for and not get support when phones with more and better features are avialalbe for half the price. Also check HTC Desire. The Sense UI on this phone is stunningly good and you can customize the UI as per your needs. You don't need to rely on few icons lying in couple of screens. The widgets and the notification bar save hell lot of time and make many things easier.

This videos shows it all: YouTube - HTC Desire Sense Interface Walkthrough (do watch it completely).

desiibond said:
iphone 4 over iphone 3GS:

better processor and RAM

better display

front facing camera

better rear camera

three axis gyro

UI side, there is no difference at all. both run the same stale and boring iOS 4.1. In short, iOS is to Android what symbian is to iOS. so, why to spend 42k on a phone just coz it looks good and has truckload of pixels stuck on it's face.

Like I said, I do not fall for aesthetics. It is proven that SGS super AMOLED is an easy match for iphone 4's display (marketing term : retina dipslay, which in essence is just another display with high resolution and pixel density). And the OS that runs on iphone 4 is iOS 4.1 which is running on my ipod touch and also runs on iphone 3GS. The only other extra feature that is visible is the front facing camera. And this is something that non-iOS devices have for a really long time and they don't need wi-fi to make video calls.

@OP, Check this clear cut comparison. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S vs. Apple iPhone 4: Collision course - GSMArena.com

apart from build and construction, iphone 4 is pawned by SGS in every other category. Read it for yourself. Don't fall for fanboy's comments that make one think iphone 4 as magical but sorry, it is not. It's a good phone. I agree but definitely not a phone that you should shell 42k for and not get support when phones with more and better features are avialalbe for half the price. Also check HTC Desire. The Sense UI on this phone is stunningly good and you can customize the UI as per your needs. You don't need to rely on few icons lying in couple of screens. The widgets and the notification bar save hell lot of time and make many things easier.

This videos shows it all: YouTube - HTC Desire Sense Interface Walkthrough (do watch it completely).
gsmarena reviews are known for their anti apple stance as much as engadget reviews are known for their pro apple stance .. gsm arena is pro nokia and htc .

the only review that matters is you own .. use both the phones and decide for urself u will clearly see the diff .

there r thousands of other sites which can give a pro apple review and thousnads that can do the opp . so the best judge is u alone .. the best way to decide is by using the phone urself . as i said many people have not used the iphone 4 long enough yet and are simply commenting on their experience with the 3gs .

i would appreciate if someone on this forum who has been using a iphone 4 for a week at least would put in some comments .

khanvis2009 said:
gsmarena reviews are known for their anti apple stance as much as engadget reviews are known for their pro apple stance .. gsm arena is pro nokia and htc .

the only review that matters is you own .. use both the phones and decide for urself u will clearly see the diff .

there r thousands of other sites which can give a pro apple review and thousnads that can do the opp . so the best judge is u alone .. the best way to decide is by using the phone urself . as i said many people have not used the iphone 4 long enough yet and are simply commenting on their experience with the 3gs .

i would appreciate if someone on this forum who has been using a iphone 4 for a week at least would put in some comments .
hmm. so, I need to find a site that says well about iphone to know about iphone and I should ignore sites that doesn't give the crown to iphone? Dude, to what extent will you go to support iphone 4? if you think gsmarena is anti-apple, then why did they say this in their reivew?

So, to wrap it all up – we admit we enjoyed the company of Apple’s latest toy and we would like to keep it around. We wouldn’t mind a Samsung Galaxy S either to watch some movies or a Nokia N8 to take some cool pictures and videos. And we wouldn’t say no to a Moto DROID X that gets along with European networks.

No, there isn’t a perfect smartphone out there. There’s always something for anyone to love or hate. What makes the iPhone so special is that it takes love and hate with the loftiness of a royalty.

they should've given very anti conclusion?

and when engadget compared iphone 4's retina display with SGS's Super AMOLED, why didn't they praise iphone 4 and throw SGS in dustbin. They instead said this:

Once again, it's a pretty impossible task to differentiate between the output of the Retina Display and Super AMOLED, though if we have to choose, Samsung will get the nod. This really is a territory where personal preference will determine which the better screen will be, the differences are that minuscule.
You should be mindful, however, that the delta between the two when you stick them right next to your eye is nowhere near as pronounced in real world use. In fact, checking out our giraffe picture comparison, the Super AMOLED seems to exhibit stronger color saturation and sharper definition, in spite of looking pixelated sat next to Apple's smoother curvatures. Stick both at a normal distance away from the user, and it will likely come down to personal preference again. Some of our own staff have found the Galaxy S' display to be oversaturated, whereas this editor felt it was just about spot on

this shows how much Apple PR folks tend to misguide users by wierd marketing gimmicks when in the real world, the difference is not as pointed out by Mr.Jobs and its far from being magical.

I respect gsmarena, phonearea etc coz they go by the reality than by brand name.

Phonearena:

AT&T customers will no longer have to resort to siding with mid-range Android offerings as the Samsung Captivate easily leaves all of its competition in the dust. It definitely has the hardware to make the iPhone 4 sweat in its tracks as the Captivate offers a responsive interface, gorgeous Super AMOLED display, and one battery life that's truly amazing. At the same time, TouchWiz 3.0 overlaying Android 2.1 is a refreshingly new experience for AT&T customers as it's able to provide users with a myriad of useful information directly from one area – plus it just looks so good! However, the iPhone 4 continues to excel in the camera department as both its photo and video capturing prowess are unbeatable. In addition, Apple's finest is still backed by a rich, industry-leading catalog of apps and games.

Some may have believed that Android's presence on AT&T would've been limited due mostly to their partnership with Apple, but the Samsung Captivate breaks down the barriers and easily stares down the iPhone 4 at the same level in a broad range of categories. Priced accordingly at $199.99 for each handset, it'll be one difficult decision for any one to make – but to tell you the truth, both are wonderful solutions that you won't regret.

Cnet's user feedback (voting) iphone 4 vs galaxy S: Apple iPhone 4 vs. Samsung Galaxy S - Smackdown - CNET Asia

when SGS can/has:

1. better audio and video format support
2. bigger and better display, clearer text
3. better CPU and GPU
4. better input with on-screen qwerty and super fast swype
5. faster webpage rendering and flash 10 support with Froyo build
6. better video calling options.
7. better notifications
8. Better UI, supports widgets and user customization
9. tight integration of social networking sites like twitter, facebook in contacts.
10. memory expansion and user replaceable battery
11. no need to rely on shitty itunes for everything.
12. DLNA. share phone's internet connection to other devices through Wi-Fi.
13. tens of customized firmwares (xda, modaco, samdroid etc etc) to use if you do not like the default firmware
14. Bluetooth 3.0
and many more. So, why why why should one go for iphone 4. Is it just coz it looks pretty?

PS: a site giving an apple product non-gagagagagaga review doesn't mean that it is anti-apple. While I am telling about the difference in usability, all you are saying is 'use it to belive it' 'it sells for higher price than buying price' 'use it first' blah blah blah. Please tell me how can iphone 4 at 42k makes a totally worthy buy over galaxy S or Desire that are available for 26k-27k. Please elaborate!

Elaborate. Elaborate and enlighten us how iphone 4 is better than SGS and how it can justify the 16k extra price tag. my n00b friend too uses iphone just to flaunt. Not everyone using a phone is capable of judging it's usability over competition's. So, please Elaborate. Elaborate. Elaborate. Elaborate. Elaborate. Elaborate

Duh cut it guys. The 16k premium may not appeal to some of them. It doesn't make the SGS a better buy. Please help the TS with a suggestion instead of diverting the thread to an iPhone 4 vs the rest flame-war.

mate the op has a budget of 40k .. its not between me and u .. i personally think that iphone 4 rocks and all other previous iphones are rubbish so i am not in a apple vs sgs battle here . nor am i a fanboy .. cause its just the latest gen iphone that i am praising not the previous ones .

if i had a 40k budget i would def buy the 4 as i have personally used it for some time .. i would not depend on some review if i were to spend 40k . i would use it for a while and then decide .

in the end to each his own . u would want to save some money but i see convenience .. some apps on the ios platform are very superior .especially business and finance and news apps which i use very often ..

for me @40k an iphone 4 rocks for u it may be the sgs .. but this is not between u and me but the Op who wants to buy a phone for 40k .. and looking at the price its selling in india the iphone 4 at 42k is a good buy . its upto him to follow that advise or not . peace.

khanvis2009 said:
mate the op has a budget of 40k .. its not between me and u .. i personally think that iphone 4 rocks and all other previous iphones are rubbish so i am not in a apple vs sgs battle here . nor am i a fanboy .. cause its just the latest gen iphone that i am praising not the previous ones .

if i had a 40k budget i would def buy the 4 as i have personally used it for some time .. i would not depend on some review if i were to spend 40k . i would use it for a while and then decide .

in the end to each his own . u would want to save some money but i see convenience .. some apps on the ios platform are very superior .especially business and finance and news apps which i use very often ..

for me @40k an iphone 4 rocks for u it may be the sgs .. but this is not between u and me but the Op who wants to buy a phone for 40k .. and looking at the price its selling in india the iphone 4 at 42k is a good buy . its upto him to follow that advise or not . peace.
still, you haven't told me how iphone 4 is justified buy for 42k ahead of SGS at 26k. you are totally giving a personal opinion while I am trying to expalin to the op why SGS is better buy. It is his money and he asked for advice. That is what I am doing here.

and what convenience? when I get everything in a better way, when I can customize the UI to suit my usage style, important things like multitasking, webpage opening, Audio video are better on SGS, what convenience are you talking about? those who used android says that doing tasks is lot more easier and the way that they get notified of updates is far superior and won't come in the way of current task (like it happens in iphone 4). so, please talk something reasonable.

Stop fighting already.
30k buy sgs
40k buy iPhone 4
If the OT wants to save money he will buy sgs.

If you wanna fight then do it over pm. Everybody has their opinion but the OT must try his options out before buying. His personal experience matters more. Not ours.

@desiibond I understand you like every other phone but iPhone. But please stop pushing your opinions on others. ATM khanvis is just telling you to try it out for a week and form an opinion leaving your prejudices behind. Just tell him you can/can't do it and get this fight over with

@khanvis vica versa goes to you.

mjumrani said:
Stop fighting already.
30k buy sgs
40k buy iPhone 4
If the OT wants to save money he will buy sgs.

If you wanna fight then do it over pm. Everybody has their opinion but the OT must try his options out before buying. His personal experience matters more. Not ours.

@desiibond I understand you like every other phone but iPhone. But please stop pushing your opinions on others
Dude. stop pushing your opinion on me. I did suggest iphone if the price is right. I appreciate device that is worth the price tag. like 42k iphone 4, I also ask buyers to stay away from those sub 20k android devices coz they are not worth the money. That my friend is how I post.

And like i said earlier, the OP asked for suggestion and if you think that me pointing out the things to help the buyer is forcing opinion, then what is the use of having the forum?

just put a big headline saying "you need suggestion, go use the device and find out yourself." and close the forum!

I'm just saying that since the 2 phones are finalised it would be better if he could try them out first.
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Its a different thing if he can't.
As for the things I had said earlier, it's just to stop both of you from fighting over opinions. I can't really do much besides that since you are being so kiddish.
My dialogue with you is over.

desiibond said:
And like i said earlier, the OP asked for suggestion and if you think that me pointing out the things to help the buyer is forcing opinion, then what is the use of having the forum?

just put a big headline saying "you need suggestion, go use the device and find out yourself." and close the forum!
A forum is where one could ask for a collective opinion about some product and is not meant to rant against a particular device because one does not like it. Almost every other post of yours (in this thread and any other thread) suggests that you disregard the iPhone 4 and Android *is* the way to go. It could be for some of them - agreed and it cannot be for the rest. You have put forth your opinion - why don't you move ahead instead of quoting every other post from the other guy and go about beating around the bush like some kid?

Cut it already!

Desecrator said:
A forum is where one could ask for a collective opinion about some product and is not meant to rant against a particular device because one does not like it. Almost every other post of yours (in this thread and any other thread) suggests that you disregard the iPhone 4 and Android *is* the way to go. It could be for some of them - agreed and it cannot be for the rest. You have put forth your opinion - why don't you move ahead instead of quoting every other post from the other guy and go about beating around the bush like some kid?

Cut it already!
rant? hmm. All I have been asking is to provide justifiable comparison on how iphone 4 is a better buy. and providing my reasoning as to why SGS is a better buy. Instead all that I get is

use it to know
it's iphone 4
it's amazing
it has appstore

where is the reasoning?

BTW, Rant is something like this :

iphone 4 sucks. apple sucks. it's overpriced. get SGS. it's the king.
this is what one calls a rant or pointless and kiddish suggestion.

All that I am saying is that the price is not right to buy iphone 4 now and that too without support. so, what's wrong with it? I supported Android. yes. it's currently the best and fastest growing platform. what's the problem in that?

desiibond said:
rant? hmm. All I have been asking is to provide justifiable comparison on how iphone 4 is a better buy. and providing my reasoning as to why SGS is a better buy. Instead all that I get is

use it to know

it's iphone 4

it's amazing

it has appstore

where is the reasoning?

BTW, Rant is something like this :

iphone 4 sucks. apple sucks. it's overpriced. get SGS. it's the king.

this is what one calls a rant or pointless and kiddish suggestion.

All that I am saying is that the price is not right to buy iphone 4 now and that too without support. so, what's wrong with it? I supported Android. yes. it's currently the best and fastest growing platform. what's the problem in that?
dude ur like a kid .. . man i am not steve jobs pr head that i would promote the iphone .. i dont care if apple wins or android .. i made peace on this situation with u in my last comment but just dont seem to wanna stop .. ok u win ,all of us will change our phones to android .. happy !

forget it man its just a damn phone .. ..this suggesttion is becoming like an argument .. anyway end of suggestion from me on apple or android .peace

Verceti dude get a 1100 its the best phone till date .. no complications just call sms super simple and easy .

Ha ha... this is ridiculous.

@desiibond

I feel your drift but chill man we have done our duty. We have given all the logical comparisons but khanvis insists that we use it and feel the magic for ourselves.

However, I have used a 3G and 3GS extensively and I can see the difference in philosophy and that is never going to change.

Sometimes, people want to follow their hearts and its better to let them be.

My cousin did get an iphone 4, just for the bling factor and I will sort the grain from the chaff myself when I go home.

Actually, the OP hasnt given his preferences and khanvis and you are duking it out.

So let him buy an iPhone 4, it seems that he can afford it and most probably will be going in for the iPhone only when the dust settles.

btw, where are you in Bangalore?

Back