Suggest phone for 30k

vercetti

Skilled
Hey Guys,

I am plannin on getting a phone but not sure what to get.

i don't want the iphone as I have used it for quite sometime and need a change now

Can you guys suggest me some phones which I can get from here in Melbourne?

• Preferable touchscreen
  • 3G enabled

I can increase the budget if I can get something better.... max budget is 40k

So guys, give me some advices.... Free stuff when i come to India for ppl in Blore:D

khanvis2009 said:
dude ur like a kid .. . man i am not steve jobs pr head that i would promote the iphone .. i dont care if apple wins or android .. i made peace on this situation with u in my last comment but just dont seem to wanna stop .. ok u win ,all of us will change our phones to android .. happy !

forget it man its just a damn phone .. ..this suggesttion is becoming like an argument .. anyway end of suggestion from me on apple or android .peace

Verceti dude get a 1100 its the best phone till date .. no complications just call sms super simple and easy .
this is ridiculous. all the while I have asked you one thing. To tell how iphone 4 is better as you boasted on using every smartphone available on earth. And all you do is saying totally irrelevant things. and then say this comment! huh! end of suggestion? fine? thank you.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vortex_mak said:
Ha ha... this is ridiculous.

@desiibond

I feel your drift but chill man we have done our duty. We have given all the logical comparisons but khanvis insists that we use it and feel the magic for ourselves.

However, I have used a 3G and 3GS extensively and I can see the difference in philosophy and that is never going to change.

Sometimes, people want to follow their hearts and its better to let them be.

My cousin did get an iphone 4, just for the bling factor and I will sort the grain from the chaff myself when I go home.

Actually, the OP hasnt given his preferences and khanvis and you are duking it out.

So let him buy an iPhone 4, it seems that he can afford it and most probably will be going in for the iPhone only when the dust settles.

btw, where are you in Bangalore?
BTM layout. seems like you are one of the few from Mysore, one of my favourite places :)

Guys...thanks for the response; The debate b/n the SGS v/s iphone4G did bring out strong features of both phones to limelight:)

rajshah said:
And the iPhone doesn't cost 42k. 16gb is close to 33k.
iPhone 16Gb 4G costs close to 36k (859$ @42.5). so its not 33k

mjumrani said:
Well I think it's all because iPhone 4 is the phone to have right now.
I've had an iPhone since November and frankly I've never wanted another phone after the purchase, until iPhone 4 came out that is.

Hope it helps the OT.
Thanks mate. I did feel the same way about the iPhone2G. I remeber when I got it; this was my first cell phone bought by me (all else came to be as my bro was upgrading his phone:mad:)... I really loved the phone and when I gifted this phone to my sister i went and bought another iPhone 2G for myself as I couldn't find any other phone which looked cool, give me the screen space to watch movies and had the touch quality (scroll, multi touch) as the iphone
mjumrani said:
Stop fighting already.
30k buy sgs
40k buy iPhone 4
If the OT wants to save money he will buy SGS.
Actually,Its not about the budget. Its about the better phone and better VFM. I am ready to spend 50k if the kick for the money is worth it:)... @Desibond gave a pretty good technical comparisions giving SGS an upper hand here. I am just blown away by the fact that SGS has amazing video playback capability and same screen resolution as the iPhone 4G
desiibond said:
this is ridiculous. all the while I have asked you one thing. To tell how iphone 4 is better as you boasted on using every smartphone available on earth. And all you do is saying totally irrelevant things. and then say this comment! huh! end of suggestion? fine? thank you.
Dude....ur posts are indeed very informative and technically very satisfying to read. I am indeed now looking at iPhone, SGS, Nexus1 and HTC desire
@Guys, although money is not an issue I would like to take a phone which gives me the most blin for my money. So I have boiled down me options to the below 4
1. iPhone 4G
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. HTC desire
4. Nexus one

I will read some reviews in the net and do some comparisions myself. Personally, I like iPhones just too much but I really liked the features of SGS so wanna give it a try

vercetti said:
Guys...thanks for the response; The debate b/n the SGS v/s iphone4G did bring out strong features of both phones to limelight:)

iPhone 16Gb 4G costs close to 36k (859$ @42.5). so its not 33k

Thanks mate. I did feel the same way about the iPhone2G. I remeber when I got it; this was my first cell phone bought by me (all else came to be as my bro was upgrading his phone:mad:)... I really loved the phone and when I gifted this phone to my sister i went and bought another iPhone 2G for myself as I couldn't find any other phone which looked cool, give me the screen space to watch movies and had the touch quality (scroll, multi touch) as the iphone
Actually,Its not about the budget. Its about the better phone and better VFM. I am ready to spend 50k if the kick for the money is worth it:)... @Desibond gave a pretty good technical comparisions giving SGS an upper hand here. I am just blown away by the fact that SGS has amazing video playback capability and same screen resolution as the iPhone 4G
Dude....ur posts are indeed very informative and technically very satisfying to read. I am indeed now looking at iPhone, SGS, Nexus1 and HTC desire

@Guys, although money is not an issue I would like to take a phone which gives me the most blin for my money. So I have boiled down me options to the below 4

1. iPhone 4G

2. Samsung Galaxy S

3. HTC desire

4. Nexus one

I will read some reviews in the net and do some comparisions myself. Personally, I like iPhones just too much but I really liked the features of SGS so wanna give it a try
Omit Nexus One. it's the same as desire sans the awesome Sense UI and no support here too.

I would omit iphone 4 for the reasons that explained earlier

Desire and SGS are more or less on level. It comes to your liking. try both (sangeetha etc have live pieces that you test). Get one of these and get ipod touch 4G and you will have one hell of a package.

mjumrani said:
Though I haven't used it but I heard Droid 2 is quite good. Nexus one is outdated now I think.
Nexus One is not exactly outdated but me too won't prefer it though. Droid 2 is CDMA.

Desecrator said:
N1 had issues with the speaker as well. Was that resolved? Or was it a hardware issue? Anyways, A2.2 runs fastest on the N1 I've heard.
n1 is the fastest phone if u browse a lot with 2.2 .. sadly its 3g radio issue is really bad .. so avoid n1 it has a hardware fault in the 3g radio . too bad cause i love the n1 almost all androids as it a vanilla android .. vanilla androids are easy to upgrade like the milestone .

my n1 got replaced this week by htc in the US but i will sell it off as soon as it arrives next week ... i dont want to take any chances again . but if u have a n1 thats works well hold on to it cause in the years ahead ur going to get an awesome resale value on it few months from now .. its already at 700+$ on ebay.com

all droids are cdma and so is evo ... thats why htc is lauching the desire hd , which is a 4.3" GSM droid /evo .. cause there is lot of demand for a hd2like android phone .. the desire hd launch is expected on 15th sept .. lets see if htc keeps their word .. i am really looking forward to the desire hd . 4.3" screen is awesome to use like it was on the hd2.

mjumrani said:
^ that's sad. I forgot it's carrier was on CDMA. Are the rest of the droids also CDMA?
all the Droids are Verizon phones and Verizon is CDMA. Their network is on a whole different level when compared to the shitty CDMA networks here. anyways, we can expect Milestone 2 (GSM variant of Droid 2) to be launched worldwide by end of this year.

khanvis2009 said:
audio and video : sgs ???? no way .. iphone audio is way superior .
yes. sir. SGS audio output is neutral just like iphone 4s but here is the advantage:

SGS audio format: MP3/AAC+/OGG/WMA/AMR/WAV/MID/AC3/IMY/FLAC/XMF

iphone 4 audio format: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV (music need to be copied through itunes lost)

SGS video format: DivX, XviD, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, VC-1 format: 3gp(mp4), AVI(divx), MKV, FLV, H.263Sorenson. (copy using bluetooth or download through wifi from favourite download sites or copy using mass storage mode by connecting to pc/laptop/mac)

iphone 4 video format: H.264, MPEG4. (all videos need to be converter and copied through itunes only)

also, if I am right, thanks to better aspect ratio and more real estate and AMOLED display, videos on SGS are more vibrant.

more importantly, you need not install itunes on every pc from which you want to copy music to your phone. connect the phone in 'mass storage' mode, copy music or divx of 720p videos, disconnect the phone and start playing the videos on the phone.

this is why I said SGS is better for audio and video. (similar audio output, more format support, better ways to copy content, no need to convert every single video file. totally hassle free)

desiibond said:
Omit Nexus One. it's the same as desire sans the awesome Sense UI and no support here too.

I would omit iphone 4 for the reasons that explained earlier

Desire and SGS are more or less on level. It comes to your liking. try both (sangeetha etc have live pieces that you test). Get one of these and get ipod touch 4G and you will have one hell of a package.

Nexus One is not exactly outdated but me too won't prefer it though. Droid 2 is CDMA.
If a person owns an SGS/ Desire whats the reason behind getting the i pod touch 4G :S (except they want apple app store games/dont wanna drain phone battery for multimedia which defeats the purpose of owing the SGS/ Desire in the first place)

The IPod touch has inferior screen (quality wise) and also records inferior videos etc compared to Iphone4..

Why are asking a person to spend 15-20k more when recommending another device along with for 27k which does everything much better.

DarkAngel said:
If a person owns an SGS/ Desire whats the reason behind getting the i pod touch 4G :S (except they want apple app store games/dont wanna drain phone battery for multimedia which defeats the purpose of owing the SGS/ Desire in the first place)

The IPod touch has inferior screen (quality wise) and also records inferior videos etc compared to Iphone4..

Why are asking a person to spend 15-20k more when recommending another device along with for 27k which does everything much better.
that is if OP wants to feel the so-call apple awesomeness :)

desiibond said:
that is if OP wants to feel the so-call apple awesomeness :)
Then IMHO he is better off sticking to IPhone4 rather than a Touch+SGS. There is no point getting a SGS+Touch and lugging arnd both(esp. considering the phone(SGS) has better multimedia capabilities than the PMP(IPod Touch 4G)).

Actually,Its not about the budget. Its about the better phone and better VFM. I am ready to spend 50k if the kick for the money is worth it... @Desibond gave a pretty good technical comparisions giving SGS an upper hand here. I am just blown away by the fact that SGS has amazing video playback capability and same screen resolution as the iPhone 4G

50k :O ! Kya lafda kar raha hai isbaar :p

I will suggest to get the Motorola Droid X. At least for me its rock solid and a style statement :D

AmazonWireless: Motorola DROID X Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Ya damn my bad....frgt abt that ! Its quite an good phone otherwise :p.....Droid 2 will still take some more time to release I guess :p

Btw I am also using a Verizon BB 8830 on CDMA...gt it unlocked :p w/o using sim-slot. It was quite a complicated process

@vercetti-> Dude i would say just go buy iPhone 4 (32GB) and rest of the money why don't you get one for you sis too?...and if you still have money you can get me some chocolates..and stuff...

you have nothing good more than that in that range...else we have to ask Apple for any new models..

eBro

Please note: awaiting for you coming home so that i can pick up something from you mate..

Have read through the thread and I have seen that rather then suggestions, couple of people impose the decision.

As said, Go and experience both the phones and decide.

Just one single thought is that after 4 years the SGS might look really dull as the plastic will worn out an other things going out of the line, however I am pretty sure that Iphone will still maintain its flash even though a long amount of time has passed.

Why I say so, well I have all the models of iPhone released till date and believe me, after buying, you never feel like selling an iphone. The first 2G phone is still in use by mu li'l bro even after exactly 4 years of buy, I hardly see the metallic loosing its shine, or the screen missing the slightest sensation of a human touch. My 3G is used by my dad, 3GS is with my wife and am now using an iPhone 4.

Now looking at Sansung Galaxy S, I would firstly say that it is the best bang for the buck at 26K, nothing matches it Super AMOLED screen and the top notch responsive screen that they have come up with. The advance proximity sensor also does a fairly good trick. As I have seen the phone in action, I wanted to buy it for my dad, as he travels a lot and get bored during long flights. And at 59, he's a real geek and can do a better job at IT then what I know of. But when he experience the SGS he said "Can't Samsung charge me a bit more but deliver me with a better furnished and lively feeling phone this this feather weight wonder". So you see, to own a phone of 26K is a good thing, but personally to feel the phone being 26K is the actual reality.

Though 6/10 SGS users would justify that they are happy with the product and its worth 26K, but I am sure that 10/10 iPhone users will justify the cost and would eventually become a fan of Apple and its product.

But beyond my views and satisfaction with the iphone, I would suggest you to visit a store and see it for yourself. Would prefer if you see the SGS first, cause if you check the iPhone prior SGS then I am pretty sure that you will not like the SGS (Personal View; Don't want to annoy/exite SGS users/fans).

GODSPEED

^Sachin, you have an iPhone family :p
A good jist of the whole thread. Something people have been trying to explain for a while.
iPhone is a sort of phone you would want to keep for a long time and not sell it if possible. Like I'm doing, my little brother is getting my 3GS

Nothing Man...just filing my tax returns in Aus...so expecting some cash... 2 lakhs in hand...1 lakh for camera, 40k for phone and 60k for 2 watches
Supra said:
50k :O ! Kya lafda kar raha hai isbaar :p
iyengar said:
Please note: awaiting for you coming home so that i can pick up something from you mate..
Coming in Nov end...how is the Z5500 doing...preety good deal huh;p....

@Guys...the only problem that I see with apple is I am not sure if a iPhone5G is on the cards..Apple is known for thier secrecy and seeing the reception issue with 4G I am pretty sure they might comeup with something soon

the gap b/n 3GS and 4G was not much. I don't wanna get a 4G and find out a 5G 6 months down the line:(

iPhone 5 will come in July as usual. They do have an image to maintain.

And this true with any phone, after 6 months or so every phone seems last gen. At least iPhone maintains its charm.

If you look at the specs, you wouldn't require much more out of a phone. The other issues are OS related anyways, so if 5G has something new, it would be more OS related besides the new hardware(maybe they will push up the camera or a bigger screen, can't think of much besides that) and looks and thus you will automatically get it. At least this is what i'm hoping.

Back