Car & Bike Suggestions for a New Bike

I bought my Pulsar on the 22nd of August and it has clocked 2000Km. These are my notes on the bike:-

[1] Getting 55-68 kmpl (depending on my riding and other conditions) consistently

[2] The first free service was at 500 km (Bajaj charged me Rs.300 for the engine oil)

[3] The second paid service was at 1500 km at Castrol Bike Zone just after the monsoons. They charged me Rs.250 for their excellent Premium Gold Service - the entire bike was taken apart, checked and re-assembled. If you have doubts about Castrol Bike Zone don't worry, they routinely service sports bikes and super-bikes. The mechanic who serviced my bike was dealing at a Ducati before he took charge of my bike. Since I had 1500km on my Odometer, I decided to change to Castrol Activ Extra Engine oil (20w50) worth Rs.280 and now the bike suddenly feels more alive, more responsive that it ever was.

[4] This bike despite what people say about Pulsars has a smooth and responsive engine right from when its made and can handle very high speeds (100 kmph +) during the run in easily but I would advise you to keep those bursts of adrenaline low till you atleast clock 1500 km --as per the Bajaj service center Mechanic and the castrol bike zone mechanic.

[5] Apply very good quality chain lube every 250 KM (Gulf makes good chain lubes)

[6] Change the engine oil every 2500 KM as the oil loses its effective viscosity after every 2500km. Keep the stock engine oil till 1500 KM and then switch to xxW50 grade engine oil only. You can start using semi synthetic engine oils after 1500 KM(example- Castrol Active extra, Valvoline, Gulf, Motul,etc). Use fully synthetic engine oils only after you have clocked 5000 KM(Castrol, Gulf Shell advance 7t,etc). ALWAYS USE xxW50 grade motorcycle oil only.

[7] Keep the tyre pressures to the stated pressures in the bike user manual.

[8] The Castrol Bike zone mechanic told me - The reason why Pulsars have got a bad rep is simply because of the way their owners thrash them and expect to thrash them repeatedly without maintaining them. Any high performance vehicle needs routine maintenance to give optimum performance. Service your Pulsar every 1500 km or at least every 45 days to keep it running perfectly for as long as you want.

[9] The Pulsar 135 can be modified with both cosmetic and performance mods easily. These don't cost much and the performance mods should be done only after you have done a run in of 1500~2000 km. For more details ask me or check xbhp forums.

[10] The bike is comfortable when used for long trips. I do trips around my city every Sunday and cover a minimum of 200 km each trip. I also did a trip from Ahmedabad to Ratanpur in Rajasthan (Gujarat - Rajasthan border)and back in under 5 hours, a distance of 380 km. The bike handled and performed really well. I plan to leave for my Ahmedabad - Mumbai trip on the 24th of October.

[11] Bajaj after sales support is good and decent but may vary from dealer ship to dealership. Bajaj will offer you your stated free services anywhere in India. They also called me up to inform me about my due services and later my experience about the service and the current performance and condition of my bike (this is extremely good!!)

[12] Bajaj spare parts are way cheaper than their rivals and can be found anywhere and Pulsars can be repaired easily and extremely cheaply should you meet with an accident. The current insurance for Bajaj Pulsars now covers and offers 100 % insuarance for the fiber/plastic body panels, something their rivals don't.

If you need more information about Pulsars let me know via PM.

sunny27 said:
I bought my Pulsar on the 22nd of August and it has clocked 2000Km. These are my notes on the bike:-

[1] Getting 55-68 kmpl (depending on my riding and other conditions) consistently

[2] The first free service was at 500 km (Bajaj charged me Rs.300 for the engine oil)

[3] The second paid service was at 1500 km at Castrol Bike Zone just after the monsoons. They charged me Rs.250 for their excellent Premium Gold Service - the entire bike was taken apart, checked and re-assembled. If you have doubts about Castrol Bike Zone don't worry, they routinely service sports bikes and super-bikes. The mechanic who serviced my bike was dealing at a Ducati before he took charge of my bike. Since I had 1500km on my Odometer, I decided to change to Castrol Activ Extra Engine oil (20w50) worth Rs.280 and now the bike suddenly feels more alive, more responsive that it ever was.

[4] This bike despite what people say about Pulsars has a smooth and responsive engine right from when its made and can handle very high speeds (100 kmph +) during the run in easily but I would advise you to keep those bursts of adrenaline low till you atleast clock 1500 km --as per the Bajaj service center Mechanic and the castrol bike zone mechanic.

[5] Apply very good quality chain lube every 250 KM (Gulf makes good chain lubes)

[6] Change the engine oil every 2500 KM as the oil loses its effective viscosity after every 2500km. Keep the stock engine oil till 1500 KM and then switch to xxW50 grade engine oil only. You can start using semi synthetic engine oils after 1500 KM(example- Castrol Active extra, Valvoline, Gulf, Motul,etc). Use fully synthetic engine oils only after you have clocked 5000 KM(Castrol, Gulf Shell advance 7t,etc). ALWAYS USE xxW50 grade motorcycle oil only.

[7] Keep the tyre pressures to the stated pressures in the bike user manual.

[8] The Castrol Bike zone mechanic told me - The reason why Pulsars have got a bad rep is simply because of the way their owners thrash them and expect to thrash them repeatedly without maintaining them. Any high performance vehicle needs routine maintenance to give optimum performance. Service your Pulsar every 1500 km or at least every 45 days to keep it running perfectly for as long as you want.

[9] The Pulsar 135 can be modified with both cosmetic and performance mods easily. These don't cost much and the performance mods should be done only after you have done a run in of 1500~2000 km. For more details ask me or check xbhp forums.

[10] The bike is comfortable when used for long trips. I do trips around my city every Sunday and cover a minimum of 200 km each trip. I also did a trip from Ahmedabad to Ratanpur in Rajasthan (Gujarat - Rajasthan border)and back in under 5 hours, a distance of 380 km. The bike handled and performed really well. I plan to leave for my Ahmedabad - Mumbai trip on the 24th of October.

[11] Bajaj after sales support is good and decent but may vary from dealer ship to dealership. Bajaj will offer you your stated free services anywhere in India. They also called me up to inform me about my due services and later my experience about the service and the current performance and condition of my bike (this is extremely good!!)

[12] Bajaj spare parts are way cheaper than their rivals and can be found anywhere and Pulsars can be repaired easily and extremely cheaply should you meet with an accident. The current insurance for Bajaj Pulsars now covers and offers 100 % insuarance for the fiber/plastic body panels, something their rivals don't.

If you need more information about Pulsars let me know via PM.

Nicely elaborated sunny27. :)

me to getting attracted to pulsar 135

Sunny u shud be bajaj's marketing agent.....lolzz...
BTW i TD'ed both the bikes today....even td'ed yamaha ss125... but the problem is yamaha and bajaj are not giving away any freebies like honda is doing....
I found all three to be very good... and coulnt decide.... :(:(....

Hae to find a way before evening to book the bike..... Any brainstorming ideas guyz????? :hap5:

What freebies do you need in a bike? Honda is giving you a sh!ty over priced under performing heap of junk and you are looking at freebies? All you need is a good bike with some petrol in it and a helmet - absolutely nothing more or nothing less!

RD274 said:
You went to one showroom for each company? Omg where are you from? Call up/visit multiple showrooms and accordingly decide as some of them don't have particular bikes while others can have a 100 ~ 2k price difference in bike pricing. And you dropped the FZs just cause you didn't like the dealer wow :rofl:

Between the two -
The Twister looks great, gives excellent mileage but is extremely underpowered. Try crossing 60 and you'll understand, whats worse is that they're trying to sell that for 59k? I personally would never pay that much for a bike with ok-ok looks and a coffee cup sized engine. //although you should get your desire 50+ mileage from that :p

As for the P135. I have the older XCD135 and while I'm aware that the P135 has revised design, better engine and parts, I would NEVER EVER suggest a Bajaj again considering how badly my bike is falling apart right now. Right from the tail lights to the rear brakes to the electronics .... quality is PATHETIC. Ofcourse I love my bike as its my first one, I've made a mental note to not suggest Bajaj bikes to anyone until Bajaj introduces a new generation of bikes.
@bold +1

really shocked. Just bcoz the dealer is rude the OP have ruled out a good bike :S Surprising to say the least.

@OP Secondly, why are you looking for a 100c bike ? Don't look at freebies worth 2-3k.
Get a bike which is worth it.

As RD274 said,bajaj bikes are not reliable. Don't fall prey to pulsar just bcoz they are cheap.
Bajaj bikes vibrates at 70+, engine starts giving rattling sound after 10k+ km,i.e after 1 year.

If you have budget problems, then its good to wait for 4-6 months or get a loan.

vheezay said:
Sunny u shud be bajaj's marketing agent.....lolzz...

BTW i TD'ed both the bikes today....even td'ed yamaha ss125... but the problem is yamaha and bajaj are not giving away any freebies like honda is doing....

I found all three to be very good... and coulnt decide.... :(:(....

Hae to find a way before evening to book the bike..... Any brainstorming ideas guyz????? :hap5:

Get the pulsar 135, dont buy the underpowered junk for freebies, and there are some bajaj haters here, ignore these haters, even i own a pulsar and if you service your bike according to the bike manual then you wont face any problems.

RS4 said:
Get the pulsar 135, dont buy the underpowered junk for freebies, and there are some bajaj haters here, ignore these haters, even i own a pulsar and if you service your bike according to the bike manual then you wont face any problems.
Suppose you have work pressure and less time and the servicing gets delayed by 300-400km then problems starts. Do you mean that ? :lol:

As i mentioned it somewhere above,pulsar need frequent replacement of parts, frequent servicing. If they get delayed then problem arises. Why would someone get these el-crappo ? and take tension of servicing in time or else face problem.

Frequent servicing,replacement implies frequently getting robbed at bajaj service. Even if the parts are cheap ,it doesn't make sense to replace/service it frequently and wasting time/money.

And to add to it rattling sound after 10k kms and engine vibration at 70+ kmph.

ramanujpatro said:
Suppose you have work pressure and less time and the servicing gets delayed by 300-400km then problems starts. Do you mean that ? :lol:

As i mentioned it somewhere above,pulsar need frequent replacement of parts, frequent servicing. If they get delayed then problem arises. Why would someone get these el-crappo ? and take tension of servicing in time or else face problem.

Frequent servicing,replacement implies frequently getting robbed at bajaj service. Even if the parts are cheap ,it doesn't make sense to replace/service it frequently and wasting time/money.

Any other bike be it from TVS/Honda/Yamaha will face problems if not serviced at regular intervals...

I have P220 (FI), its been 4 years now and it has crossed 50k kms ... I never felt it had cheap quality, its running butter smooth :) ... Few things I do to maintain it are like to service it properly, use Fully Synthetic engine oil, use NGK Iridium spark Plugs, lube the chain every 500k kms or every weekend... One problem with Bajaj is their service centers suck, many time they dont to required things, that is why you need to be present at the time of servicing your vehicle and constantly keep tab on what work they are doing on your bike... Bajaj wouldn't be 2nd largest 2wheeler mfg if their products had bad quality...

I originally wanted the Unicorn dazzler but the honda dealer said company has stopped the production.....so asked abt teh unicorn.. he said ther is a waiting period of 4 mnths min....
@ramanaj :- yup,, i did go to each and very showroom to check out the models.....as all of them r in a triangle and at a distance of 0.5 kms from each other.... :p

I have a budget of max 75k....but to me mileage is of importance...
Yup, u r right that paying 59k for a 110cc bike is useless !!!....
I'd rather go for the pulsar 135ls then or the yamaha ss125 (Gladiator) ....
I like the FZ-S but it dosent give any good mileage.. max is 45 teh dealer said.. that means a mileage of 35 in real circumstances...also FZ-S is costing 81k which i think is way too high for a 150cc bike...
Still havent booked the bike as my dad wasnt approving me in booking the twister !!! :)

@ OP

Get P135 eyes closed, just take care of its proper servicing... Bajaj has improved a lot and 4 valve thing is as good as any other mfg qualitywise... And if your budget permits, FZ is good bet too ! Its handling is better but loses on fuel economy...

vheezay said:
I originally wanted the Unicorn dazzler but the honda dealer said company has stopped the production.....so asked abt teh unicorn.. he said ther is a waiting period of 4 mnths min....
@ramanaj :- yup,, i did go to each and very showroom to check out the models.....as all of them r in a triangle and at a distance of 0.5 kms from each other.... :p

I have a budget of max 75k....but to me mileage is of importance...
Yup, u r right that paying 59k for a 110cc bike is useless !!!....
I'd rather go for the pulsar 135ls then or the yamaha ss125 (Gladiator) ....
I like the FZ-S but it dosent give any good mileage.. max is 45 teh dealer said.. that means a mileage of 35 in real circumstances...also FZ-S is costing 81k which i think is way too high for a 150cc bike...
Still havent booked the bike as my dad wasnt approving me in booking the twister !!! :)
It good to check out with all showrooms. But you can't ignore a bike just bcoz dealer has an attitude. F that dealer and get it from other one.
Your original choice was great and you should have stuck to it.
If you can compromise on the style/looks department, unicorn is a great bike to own. And the wait period of 4 months would be worth.
I would wait for it.

If not Thane then i'll go to the honda showroom in pune and ask abt the Unicorn Dazzler there...

was reading the reviews and comparisions between p135 and cb twister..

seems cb twister has won the Bike of the year 2011... and ppl r getting a max speed of 105 km/hr....

will have to finalise everything and book it before diwali......

@ramanuj :- 4 mnths is too long...... a friend of mine is a friend of a dealer in Mira Road, Mumbai.. he sayd he can get the unicorn in 15 days .. i'll try talking to him...

vheezay said:
If not Thane then i'll go to the honda showroom in pune and ask abt the Unicorn Dazzler there...

was reading the reviews and comparisions between p135 and cb twister..

seems cb twister has won the Bike of the year 2011... and ppl r getting a max speed of 105 km/hr....

will have to finalise everything and book it before diwali......

@ramanuj :- 4 mnths is too long...... a friend of mine is a friend of a dealer in Mira Road, Mumbai.. he sayd he can get the unicorn in 15 days .. i'll try talking to him...

Good then, try with that dealer and good luck.:hap2:

The reason i push people not to buy pulsar is quite clear :) its not worth the pain one will get even after paying 60k+ grands.

Its better if one will pay 10k more and have pace of mind.

Bajaj is not even worth being compared to a Honda/ Yamaha. So it hurts when you have to chose between bajaj and honda/yamaha.

ramanujpatro said:

Every bike needs service at some intervals be it bajaj or yamaha or honda, i even have a yamaha Fazer here , my friend didnt service it for a long time and now its like riding a crappy 125cc bike.

That 10k kms and 70kmph thingy is your imagination, the OP should believe pulsar owners rather than honda, yamaha owners for the real facts about pulsar.

RS4 said:
Every bike needs service at some intervals be it bajaj or yamaha or honda, i even have a yamaha Fazer here , my friend didnt service it for a long time and now its like riding a crappy 125cc bike.

That 10k kms and 70kmph thingy is your imagination, the OP should believe pulsar owners rather than honda, yamaha owners for the real facts about pulsar.

Every bike needs servicing for sure , but what's the interval is matters the most.
Its fine the OP should listen to the views of Pulsar owners.
Don't you feels he should also listen to ex-Pulsar/ bajaj owners ? If i would be in his position , i would listen to those who have/had the taste of both. :)

And the 10km and 70kmph is not my imagination. This is what i have experienced after riding from my brother's P 150 and friend's P 135.

ramanujpatro said:
Every bike needs servicing for sure , but what's the interval is matters the most.

Its fine the OP should listen to the views of Pulsar owners.

Don't you feels he should also listen to ex-Pulsar/ bajaj owners ? If i would be in his position , i would listen to those who have/had the taste of both. :)

And the 10km and 70kmph is not my imagination. This is what i have experienced after riding from my brother's P 150 and friend's P 135.

Ofcourse, why not,everyone's opinion counts but absolute hate or fanboyism for/against any brand should be avoided, its not as if we have only single bike or anything, my pulsar doesnt have any of the problems you mentioned, even the karizma R in our house is in good condition coz these two bikes are serviced at only the *required* times not every two months where as the yamaha Fazer is crappy as hell due to servicing delays and my friend doesnt even feel like going to yamaha service centres due to expensive service charges they add to the bill. do ask your friends or family who own a fazer/fz about service charges after the usage of 1year :)

I know fazer service cost is high. Its something around 800 bucks.

Pulsar 135 comes around 500-550 bucks per service.

Now what matters is the frequency of servicing and how good the service is.And you know well who's reliable here :)

I have personally come across 2 pulsars and both have problems. May be yours is not having the problem.

The point is when it come to quality check bajaj is worst. So, obviously reliability on bajaj is less.

Thats is what my point is.

Back