Swine flu : Causes / Concerns / Measures ...

l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
state government have started identifying private hospitals and laboratories that can now test and treat the Swine Flu.

After the Health Ministry took the decision to accredit private hospitals, eleven such hospitals have been identified in Bangalore on Friday, Aug 7.

That's the key word here guys :)

SidhuPunjab said:
33% Indians likely to get H1N1: Azad

That's like 400~ million victims in India, WHO says 2 Billion Infections Worldwide is Possible!

Long term side effects for taking this drug Tamiflu for month's are unknown.

US hopes to have vaccine for it by october.
Dont u think azad gives lot of oversaturated comments these days....

The guy is trying to b in news evn for wrong reason..just like our beloved punching bag rakhi sawant

i was just watching ndtv and i must say i saw the most sh***y and crapiest discussion ever!!

The Govt of Maharashtra has asked for educational institutions to be closed for 7 days and malls and multiplexes to be closed for 3 days.

And there were these idiots discussing if this is really neccessary? is this an over reaction? Suprizingly one of them was a doctor.

I dont know if they understand the meaning of the word pandemic and WHO has classified this as a level 6 pandemic.

They are now accusing the govt of creating a panic like situation!! That bloody doctor is saying that the case fatality is less than 1%, but who wants to be in that???

The flu is a communicable disease and the best way to fight it, is to prevent it! Avoid going to crowded places n stuff.

The Govt is taking proactive steps and these idiots blaming the govt. The swine flu doesnt come with a big red label which says 'Swine Flu Here'.

Now this Pralhad Kakar is saying cant the Govt handle a simple case of flu!! Sure its that simple right...

Latest from NDTV...why shld we take all such precautions when US n UK have had larger number of ppl affected? Do you want to reach or exceed those numbers??

These news channels shld be banned i say...

Do u know.....the more u panic the more u are prone as your immunity becomes weaker

And the channels and papers are creating such a havoc that i myself was roaming all around having a hanky on face(courtesy...parents)

Btw yesterday MNS went in schools to close it.....I m not against the move...but can u beleive 20 idiots carrying flag(are the children going to vote for them) in school and none of them were wearing a mask and they wants schools to shut from swine flu...even those 20 ppl creates a colony for swine flu....

The problem lies around government hospitals were plenty of people come for testing and from single infected person it passes...also there are many used mask thrown around which is enough to create havoc...

All are using stuff for their advantage and profit

ibnlive.com prints worldwide there are 1000 deaths but BBC website says official worldwide fatalities is 140... why such a difference? is the 140 number for the current pandemic but 1000 is for all known previous occurences of swine flu in history? which is the correct number? wikipedia prints nearly 2000 deaths worldwide for the current 2009 swine flu ...

I think the number that matters is recent deaths.

What good is the total from history ?!?

Nothing, its useless sensationalist news.

the more u panic the more u are prone as your immunity becomes weaker
Convincing yourself ?

clueless and stupid freaktards
really!, get a better excuse next time.

the airports is a joke, even if someone is carrying the virus, he / she is sure to pass it on to at least a dozen people....people lined around like "flock of sheep"
Why every time expect from govt. Isn't it our moral responsibility to be at home and go for a test if you identify h1n1 symptoms in yourself. I did that for myself today.

a friend has swollen eye
h1n1 is respiratory infection what a swollen eye has to do with it. If a man has malaria and cancer at same time, will you blame malaria for cancer ?

Me and my mom have a mild flu since 2 days now. today is the third
If there isn't any significant improvement in your health go for a check-up. You can undergo screening anytime.

Is it just me or are even you guys thinking twice when you cough or sneeze??
Everyone who is paranoid think like wise. If you have it you have it, sneezing or no sneezing doesn't changes anything in your health. And dude don't be scared.

I wonder where are the POLITICIANS NOW!......no awareness speeches / no public statements
schools are closed for a week, multiplex for 3 days, mumbai has 12 govt. hospitals for h1n1 treatment and adding, govt has already stated if US comes up with vaccine we'll import from them. What's the grief about ? Want any compensation to be declared for diseased ?

You guys should probably start using alcohol based sanitizers which can be carried around . The liquid dries off on your hand itself after you rub it in , since you wouldnt have the convenience of water and soap around you every time you open a door knob or hold on to a handle. Might not be as effective as the water soap combo though.

When there was a swine flu break here in San Diego, which shares border with Mexico (supposedly the epicenter of the break out) , there were a few K-12 schools that shut down , but our university was fully functional. Even after one case was identified from our university there was no panic as such. The class rooms which the student visited were quarantined and classmates were informed of possible infection. I never saw people wearing face masks on the campus , just some people using the metro had them. Also, the Health Services took samples of blood from students and sent it over to the County health center for tests and waited for them to get back with results and further instructions.

Coordination between local and central hospitals is absolutely essential for such cases.

got a forward

My dear Presidents,

I agree with you that swine flu awareness is needed, but there is no need to be panicky and join the publicity propaganda carried out by media and others which acts as a vehicle to spread misconception than to spread scientific information.

These are few facts about swine flu when discussed with the leading epidemiologists.

1) Swine flu, that is H1N1 flu is not new, first detected in 1987
2) Infective stage of flue is 5 days, 1 day before and 4 days after onset of symptoms
3) The best way to prevent it spreading is asking patient having symptoms of flu like fever cough and running nose to take rest at home for 4 days so he does not transmit it
4) Masks are of limited value if any, in this disease, it can spread through droplets on your skin, through contact etc, and I have seen that the masks in Pune are worn as fashion statement, while walking on road today morning I saw people wearing masks coming out for a morning walk with their dogs!, many wearing masks around their necks, and so on, infect these masks shall act as the vehicles to carry the virus, instead, avoiding crowded places or cinema halls or malls where air conditioners are on, is advisable, because you get recalculated air, where the virus density multiplies
5)Death after H1N1 flu is not common, infect infections like measles is taking toll of thousands more every year, and we are oblivious of the facts. Swine flu is being blown out of proportion by media trying to create hysteria among lay people.
6) Fever accompanied by respiratory distress, should be immediately notified which is likely to be a complication of H1N1 flu
7)The mortality is less than .01 percent of those affected, that means may be one in 10,000 affected is likely to suffer the life loss.
8) If you remember, 2 years ago SARS was blown out of proportion, what happened? Humans develop immunity to the virus, the same is going to happen, we develop immunity in due course of time, the virus is in the air, you can not stop it, our body is already developing the immunity so nothing to panic.
We need to take care of children and elderly who have less immunity and do not let them go to crowded places that are all.

WE MUST START THIS CAMPAIGN OF NOT TO BE AFRAID OF THIS FLU AND LET YOUR DAILY WORK CONTINUE AS NORMAL, NO MASKS FOR ORDINARY CITIZENS, HEALTH CARE WORKERS OR SPECIFIC EXPOSED TO LOT OF CROWDED ENVIRONMENTS MAY BE BENEFITTED, NOT PROVEN.

I am amazed to hear that people are selling masks of RS 20 each which are available to less than Rupee 1 in the market.
See who is getting benefited?

Please spread the scientific info, do not join the band wagon and stick to science, that should be the order of the day.

Deepak Purohit
District governor

District governor ? ...Very nice :)

Humans develop immunity to the virus, the same is going to happen, we develop immunity in due course of time, the virus is in the air, you can not stop it, our body is already developing the immunity so nothing to panic.

Hmm, i'm not sure this is true, but once a vaccine comes along to assist it will be.

Tulsi Fight Back Swine Flu :hap2:

Ayurveda, the traditional 'science of life', has a remedy for diseases when every other stream of medicine fails. Now, at a time when swine flu is spreading like wildfire across the world, Ayurveda has the remedy in the form of the miraculous herb, the basil leaves commonly known as Tulsi: Ocimum tenuiflorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tulsi, the purest and most sublime plant, has been known and worshipped in India for more than five millennia for its remarkable healing properties. Considered as an 'Elixir of Life', this wonder herb has now been claimed to keep the deadly swine flu at bay and help fast recovery in afflicted persons.

"The anti-flu property of Tulsi has been discovered by medical experts across the world quite recently. Tulsi improves the body's overall defence mechanism including its ability to fight viral diseases. It was successfully used in combating Japanese Encephalitis and the same theory applies to swine flu," Dr U K Tiwari, a herbal medicine practitioner says.

Apart from acting as a preventive medicine in case of swine flu, Tulsi can help the patient recover faster.

"Even when a person has already contracted swine flu, Tulsi can help in speeding up the recovery process and also help in strengthening the immune system of the body," he claims.

Dr Bhupesh Patel, a lecturer at Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar is also of the view that Tulsi can play an important role in controlling swine flu.

"Tulsi can control swine flu and it should be taken in fresh form. Juice or paste of at least 20-25 medium sized leaves should be consumed twice a day on an empty stomach." This increases the resistance of the body and, thereby, reduces the chances of inviting swine flu," believes Patel.

As its name suggests, Tulsi has again proved to be the 'the incomparable' medicine - this time, in the prevention and cure of swine flu.

The symptoms of the H1N1 flu virus in people are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with novel H1N1 flu virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting. The high risk groups for novel H1N1 flu are not known at this time, but it's possible that they may be the same as for seasonal influenza. However, Please consult a practitioner in case of any such symptoms. Doctors have strictly advised against self medication.
Source: Indian natural herb Tulsi to fight back swine flu - Yahoo! India News

you gotta love it when people take a news item like "herb fights back flu" and convert it to a "herb cures flu" post.... i believe there is a very small difference here, one that can mean the difference between life and death...

vishalrao said:
you gotta love it when people take a news item like "herb fights back flu" and convert it to a "herb cures flu" post.... i believe there is a very small difference here, one that can mean the difference between life and death...

Oops My Mistake.... Mods please change the title :ashamed::S:(

well it probably is good to consume healthy stuff, including tulsi... and the vast other herbs and stuff people generally : sources of vitamins (C etc) and other nutrients... there's garlic, ginger, aloe, neem, haldi/turmeric... the list is endless :)

getting back to the "concerns" part of the original thread title (why govt doesnt allow private entities)...

i just saw text flashed on cnn-ibn like: "azad says only critically ill people should be admitted to hospital"... now in my opinion (and at the risk of another overzealous moderator censor snip which i find disreputable) either cnn-ibn is the third class news agency reporting incorrect news or these govt officials are the third class incompetent ones.

oh there is also that risk of triggering a convulsive response post full of tirades and diatribes mixed with histrionics from some of the more leet TE members.

are the government still restricting people from TAKING TESTS??? an office coworker says his doctor rejected his request to take a test and "to come back in a few days especially if the symptoms persist or become severe". was it a voluntary/recommended rejection or are we not allowed to take tests just like that?

why not allow anyone and everyone to take tests anytime/anywhere (let them pay for the costs) as a means of early detection/warning so that you can curtail the spread better.

for example, an office/commercial scenario where business must go on, you can do random daily/weekly tests (no need to test everyone everyday) as a means to detect this thing early and thus for better preventive measure.

of course im no expert, just a pseudo-intellectual. i could be totally mistaken/misled because i know cnn-ibn is one of the premier shite sources of information...

Back