Video Tata Sky launches HD pvr for just 3990 (Update: with Star Plus & Star Movies HD)

Re: Tata Sky launches HD pvr for just 3990

Renegade said:
Err? What has recording got to do with charging? Its your device, you record as much as you want till it gets full. Then you delete some and record more.
you never know these companies first they make you slave to their products and after that start charging you.

Renegade said:
Err? What has recording got to do with charging? Its your device, you record as much as you want till it gets full. Then you delete some and record more.
same sentiment here, but the company thinks differently. maybe they think of it as a value added service for which they want to charge us. Btw, does money really get deducted from the account if anything is recorded? Has anyone actually recorded something with the pvr and seen any charges in their accounts yet?

If they actually deduct money for recording, then I'm thinking to get the normal TataSky HD dish and buy a pci/usb tuner thru which i will record the shows.

Also saw that they've mentioned about watermarking the recorded shows. Lol.

6pack said:
Has anyone actually recorded something with the pvr and seen any charges in their accounts yet?
I record all the time. No charges.

Anyone managed to know whether the usb ports can be used? I tried attaching a usb drive with some media (like jpg, movies) and nothing happens. So its for show only? Can anything be copied off the box?

As of now it seems to be for show only. Whatever information that is available on the net says that the current firmware does not use it. So they can be enabled, when needed, later via a firmware update.

It might be for servicing the box. Helps in charging my phone though :p

Thanks @Renegade. I also noticed something else. I record in 1080i and have just about 8-10 shows (mostly Megastructures which is about 67 recorded mins each). The disc shows 87% free now. 10x70mins = 700 mins (about 6 dvd's). So that means that the 600 hour recording they mentioned is for the lowest resolution of 576i (sd resolution i think) right?

@sid, so it passes power through? great!

I am facing lot of trouble with my HD box. It invariably hangs every time i flip about 5 channels or fastforward a recoding. I guess the HDD inside has gone for a toss.

Switch said:
I am facing lot of trouble with my HD box. It invariably hangs every time i flip about 5 channels or fastforward a recoding. I guess the HDD inside has gone for a toss.

As mentioned earlier I also have similar problem of hang ups but mine is random. The engg said the wire is too thin and the box is unable to receive signal from both transponders. So whenever the signal strength is poor it hangs. Told me to get it rewired with his 'high quality' wire.

I had some issues on the first day, but after that its been working fine till now. Watching the world cup in HD and Ad-free was bliss :D

One big gripe is that they arent showing Formula One in HD though :(

Got some info on the Pace dvr's. It supposedly uses Linux as OS and uses file encryption. Also if anyone wants to know the hdd size, just turn off your pvr, disconnect all wires and turn it upside down. Near the part where you see the exhaust fan behind, there are small ventilation slits in the bottom panel. Here if you shine a torch inside, you can see the hdd capacity, sn, make etc.

Mine was WD Green 5000AVDS - 500GB drive.

The torx screws used are security torx with a pin in it. The screwdriver set itself costs 1.6K on GEB, so opening it is out of question. Seems the TDS model of Pace's dvr is encrypted. I also read that if you try to put another hdd in place of the older one, it wont work since some info is put in the boot records.

So only way to get anything off this (without opening it and voiding warranty) is to get an internal tv tuner card with component input and then press 'Play' on the dvr and 'record' on the software in your comp. :lol: double work, but its the only way to backup the programs.

Looks like only Tata Sky and Sun will be showing IPL in HD...nobody else has signed the contract because SET Max is asking for 10 crores for the HD feed..

Got the plus HD box on April 1st :) Working well... Recorded the WC final (in HD) on it !!! Got Rs 300 refunded to my account for them taking back my old STB.

^ 300 refund? Is that official? I don't see any mention on their site, and even their CC who called me up mentioned no such thing inspite of me enquiring

Star is launching 4 new true HD channels on April 18th. Apparently, all 4 will be available on TS the very same day. The channels are Star Gold HD, Star Movies HD, Star World HD and Star Plus HD (the current Star Plus HD is upscaled).

Back