Video Tata Sky launches HD shatters the price barrier.

Sadly, they never give proper specs on STBs.... it says HDMI port, but doesn't say what other outputs are supported. Since I've already engaged all my three HDMI ports on LCD TV I was interested to know if it has component (RGB) out. Sigh, looks like I need to visit nearest showroom to check that thing out. That and if us poor existing customers get any discount on STB price.

But, good pricing overall and Gold HD pack free for an year is also a good deal... hopefully, more HD channels are introduced before it runs out. :p

Its very good pricing, i dont think any more discounts are possible..

anyway, my 2.5yr old stb seems to be dying...lots of minor hangups, or probably they call it jitter...

Hope we dont need a different dish...

Brilliant!!! I'm planning to go in for this.. should I wait for other providers or Tata Sky is good enough when it comes to service and features?

Sei said:
Brilliant!!! I'm planning to go in for this.. should I wait for other providers or Tata Sky is good enough when it comes to service and features?
You can very well go for this but i suggest wait for others to pop out their plans. But taking Tata sky is a good bet since its PQ and everything in normal SD content was always good i guess.

iGo said:
Sadly, they never give proper specs on STBs.... it says HDMI port, but doesn't say what other outputs are supported. Since I've already engaged all my three HDMI ports on LCD TV I was interested to know if it has component (RGB) out. Sigh, looks like I need to visit nearest showroom to check that thing out. That and if us poor existing customers get any discount on STB price.

But, good pricing overall and Gold HD pack free for an year is also a good deal... hopefully, more HD channels are introduced before it runs out. :p
HDMI Input switcher is a great device. Get the one from MOnoprice

Rahulrulez said:
Awesome, Going to purchase HD STB and will get 1 year free subscription ;)
Just so you are aware, the "FREE" subscription is only for the HD Gold Pack which has TWO channels currently. You will have to pay for the other channels as per existing rates.

Also, I would recommend you to wait, since this aggressive pricing might mean that a HD DVR might also become cheaper. A DVR is really handy to have :)

More than 2599 for sure, but it might still be cheaper than competition of the pricing of the HD STB is anything to go by. Right now the cheapest HD DVR is that of Big, at close to 8K.

iGo said:

I don't know about other STBs, but I believe they should have a component out. Even my BigTV normal STB has component out. My new HD-DVR ofcourse as an HDMI out.

BTW, I really think people who are looking for HD should wait for a little while. There are very limited HD channels right now. A few more should be coming out soon and then look for which one gives the best price and jump for it.

Contacted Tata Sky and they said that the HD STBs wud be available commercially within 48hrs and they wud inform me once its available.

Gaurish said:
Finally HD is becoming affordable and mainstream...YAY!
I don't know about affordable & mainstream but just as an option.

Did not expect HD here for a few more years still.

This will in all likelihood be 720p/1080i like with a lot of other places.

Only 1080p available is recorded content for now isn't it ? ..and i'm referring to abroad.

Back