Video Tata Sky launches HD shatters the price barrier.

adder

Skilled
Well guys tata sky has launched their HD stb for Rs2599 making it the cheapest.
18026195lstatasky2.gif

Tata Sky HD offering will include channels like National Geographic HD and Discovery HD. Many more channels like Star Plus HD, Star Movies HD and popular sports channels will also get added to the pack. The other unique feature will be the blockbuster movies being shown in HD. The service will be launched with the superhit movie ‘Kites’ being shown exclusively on Tata Sky in HD format.

Read more hereTata Sky launches HD service for Rs2,599 existing customers will get 1 year free HD gold pack and new customers get the same pack for 2 months free.

At 2.6k its the cheapest,rival DISH TV has priced them at 6k,Big tv at 7.5k but is HD-PVR and SUN HD at a whopping 10k.

Edit : DTH India - Tata Sky Cost

The price war has begun. Expect everyone else to lower rates soon. BTW are we expecting 720p from all of them ? Sorry for being noobiesh.

Wow , this is great news . I am sure for the existing subscribers they ll buy the old STB's at a reasonable price . Going to call them tom and get it done :D

World cup in HD :drool2:

udayrulz said:
Wow , this is great news . I am sure for the existing subscribers they ll buy the old STB's at a reasonable price . Going to call them tom and get it done :D

World cup in HD :drool2:
Well i don't think the STB will be any cheaper for existing customers,only thing is existing customers will get the HD gold pack free for a full 1 year,where as new customers get them free for only 2 months.

^ It most definitely will be , What are old customers suppose to do with their SD STB's ? Surely they ll have some sort of offer for us just like they had when they introduced the Plus service .

udayrulz said:
^ It most definitely will be , What are old customers suppose to do with their SD STB's ? Surely they ll have some sort of offer for us just like they had when they introduced the Plus service .
Well i still doubt they will give it any cheaper but imo if the STBs are the old MPEG2 type based it will mostly go to the salvage or dump yard,or it may be used for warranty replacements,the MPEG4 boxes will surely be reused for warranty replacements.

shhhhhh............couldn't they have announced it 1 week back so that I wouldn't have gone for BIG TV...

atleast one hope is the price of HD STB on BIG TV will come down.

I guess existing non tata sky subscribers will start asking their respective service providers for something good else will threaten to leave them.

man....for the first time in 1 yr I repent not being a tata sky customer

gold plan HD for a yr free to existiing tata users...foooooking awesome news

moshel said:
shhhhhh............couldn't they have announced it 1 week back so that I wouldn't have gone for BIG TV...
atleast one hope is the price of HD STB on BIG TV will come down.
I was about to buy the Big tv HD pvr,glad i waited.I have both airtel digital and big tv.If they don't cut the price soon one of them will get the boot and both if tata sky launch HD pvr.

ajab.ghajab said:
Wonder why TataSky customer care or website has no information about this.
It was the same case with other DTH HD launches big tv website and dish tv were late in updating their website.

ajab.ghajab said:
Wonder why TataSky customer care or website has no information about this.
Says who??

DTH India - Tata Sky Cost

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Faqs from the website:

What is the difference between Normal and HD Broadcast?

HD or High Definition is a term that is most often used to describe TV sets and videos that have higher resolutions compared to the standard.

With the Tata Sky HD service you can enjoy surround sound and 1080i resolution allowing you to view incredibly vivid colours and images up to 5 times sharper than what you can view today in your SD TV set.

What are the major advantages of HD Transmission?

Picture Resolution: With HDTV you will be able to enjoy clearer picture quality that is up to 5 times sharper than SD TVs. HD signals maintain its original quality throughout the broadcasting there won’t be problems of signal deterioration, interference etc. which we normally see in an analogue or old broadcasting systems.

Aspect Ratio: This means that you will have a better viewing experience with HD aspect ratio of 16:9 as compared to 4:3 on standard TVs.

What is the basic TV equipment I need to experience the Tata Sky HD service?

You will need to have either a full HD TV (supports upto 1080p) or a HD ready TV that supports 720p/1080i resolution and the Tata Sky HD digicomp to enjoy HD TV channels. All leading TV brands manufacture HD LCDs and HD Plasma TVs. You will also need a HDMI cable for connecting your TV to the set top box (which is provided with every new Tata Sky HD connection).

What if my TV is supports a lower resolution of HD like 576i, 576p, 720p, can I still enjoy the Tata Sky HD service?

Yes. You will be able to enjoy the service, however for the best viewing experience, we do recommend a HD TV that supports 1080i resolution.

Can I watch Tata Sky HD without a HD TV set?

Anyone with a TV set will be able to watch programs broadcast on Tata Sky HD – but unless you’ve got a HD TV set you won’t be able to enjoy them in high definition.

Is a home theatre system necessary for experiencing the Tata Sky HD service?

While a Home theatre system will enhance the HD experience by providing surround sound, it is not a necessary requirement to enjoy HD quality picture. As long as you have a HD TV that supports 720p or 1080i HDMI cables to connect to your TV and of course the Tata Sky HD set-top box, you will be able to see HD quality picture.

How much does the Tata Sky HD service cost?

Tata Sky HD is available at Rs 2599, which includes Dish + Digicomp + Installation & Activation. We have attractive offers for new and existing Tata Sky subscribers. For details, click here.

Tell me more about the content currently available on Tata Sky HD service?

Currently National Geographic HD and Discovery World HD are available on Tata Sky HD service. More HD channels such as Star Plus HD, Star Movies HD and other popular sports channels that’ll be added to the Gold HD pack soon. From time to time special events broadcast in HD will also be made available to the subscribers of the Tata Sky HD service.

I would like to buy an HDTV to enjoy the Tata Sky HD service. What features should I look for?

When buying an HD TV keep the following in mind:

1. The TV should be able to support 720p or 1080i resolution to get the best picture quality

2. It is HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible - HDCP is the industry-wide content protection standard that content producers use to enable you to see their programming

3. The TV should have more than one HDMI input so that you can connect your digicomp as well as other HD devices like your PS3

They are also giving the hdmi cable free!

Star Plus HD???!!! WTF?! :O And on top of that, Kites in HD??!!! Are these people out to kill us? :p

Nice pricing though. This is will start price wars among other DTH providers. Sun seriously has to reduce their price, theirs is way too high. BigTV atleast has HD and DVR.

I think Dish TV's price is also inclusive of their yearly package, and hence it looks bloated. They should learn a few things from Tata Sky about marketing. Technically, theirs might still be the cheapest HD STB around.

Back