User Guides Teardown and preparation of Polycab's 16A Wi-Fi Smart Plug for Tasmota

polycab_16A-01.jpg

This is a teardown and a guide about preparing a Polycab Hohm Lanre 16A Smart Wi-Fi plug model SLV1910001 for a Tasmota installation.

polycab_16A-02.jpg

A heavy vise can be used to clamp down opposing corners, the compression will cause the casing to separate.

polycab_16A-03.jpg

The tip of a box cutter can then be run around the edges to help separate the casing more.

polycab_16A-04.jpg

Further the separation by clamping down the other two opposing corners. Run the box cutter one more time and the bottom of the casing should separate cleanly.

polycab_16A-05.jpg

It takes a considerable amount of force but the bottom edge can be lifted up to separate the casing completely.

This pivoted motion is not advised for the 10A version, that model has an electrolytic capacitor along the bottom edge of the pcb that will almost certainly break away. For that model, pivot along one of longer edges.

polycab_16A-06.jpg

The next sequence of steps is to slice away at the heat-staking and desoldering the two input pins to separate the pcb from the bottom casing.

polycab_16A-07.jpg

Start with removing the earth pin receptacle which is simply unscrewed. It's very easy to overlook this step when reassembling the plug. Store the screw and receptacle in the larger housing so you remember to reattach it before sealing up the casing.

polycab_16A-08.jpg

There are four heat-staked supports, each one needs to be cut away cleanly.

polycab_16A-09.jpg

The left pin is the easier one to desolder, so it's a good place to start. A generous blob of flux helps with melting the solder. This is made easier with temperature of the soldering iron set to 350C.

polycab_16A-10.jpg

A desoldering pump (solder sucker) removes most of the solder, you'll need to do a few cycles of melting and pumping.

polycab_16A-11.jpg

The right pin area is crowded with a few components. Sometimes you can insert the soldering iron straight down, sometimes this ends up melting a nearby component like the fuse here. Bending the pin receptacle gives you a little extra working space.

Once the solder is molten, the pcb can be wriggled free. A heavy vise makes for a good third hand in this situation.

polycab_16A-12.jpg

With the pcb free, it's a good time to go in clean up the holes with the desoldering pump to make reassembly easier.

polycab_16A-13.jpg

Next up is removing the wifi module. For this, a generous amount of flux and a desoldering wick is essential. Soldering temperature should be lowered to 260C to minimize damage to the pads.

polycab_16A-14.jpg

This smart plug uses the Tuya TYWE2S module, which can be directly flashed with Tasmota using an usb serial programmer.

polycab_16A-15.jpg

Some kind of programming jig would probably make sense in the longterm but for now we can prep the pads for connecting the programmer with a little excess solder.

polycab_16A-16.jpg

It's not pretty but it works. Flashing is a simple process with Tasmota's web installer. Be sure to erase the device when asked.

Once flashing is complete, disconnect the wire from gpio0 and reconnect the programmer to usb to power up the module. Use a mobile device to connect to the ad-hoc wifi access point created by Tasmota (prefixed with the name tasmota). Your device will then prompt you to sign-in, in actuality you'll be configuring the wifi credentials for the smart plug to connect to your wifi network.

polycab_16A-17.jpg

When reinserting and soldering down the module, be certain there are no shorts between adjacent pads. Check for this using a multimeter with its continuity mode.

The plug can be then reassembled for testing without soldering the input pins or sealing the casing. Navigate to the ip address assigned to the plug and paste in the template command from below into the web console and press enter:

template {"NAME":"SLV1910001","GPIO":[0,0,0,32,2720,2656,0,0,2624,576,224,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}

Navigate to Configuration and then Configure Module and select SLV1910001 (0) which should now be at the top the list and then tap on Save. This should prompt a reboot after which your tasmotized wifi plug is ready to use.

Finish with resoldering the pins, bending back the right pin receptacle, reinstalling the earthing pin receptacle and resealing the casing with your favourite low viscosity adhesive. Flex Kwik works well, allow a few minutes to cure.

The next step now is to calibrate power monitoring.

> You need cloudcutter (https://github.com/tuya-cloudcutter/tuya-cloudcutter) and a pc with WiFi running Linux. The entire process is well documented on the repo. Make sure you don't add them to the zunpulse/tuya app, as that can push an OTA.

Yep, and do this on a VM or on a machine running Ubuntu(with the exact version specified on requirements page). It runs some commands after that and may not work properly if you are not on a supported machine.

Furthermore, During the flashing process It'll ask you for the firmware. It's a BK7231N firmware. Pick the latest version. I don't remember the exact one I used and you may have to try all of them to find the right one. (There are maybe 4-5 firmwares that fit the criteria)

After flashing, You need to setup all the pin configuration. Here is the one I use, I think almost every thing works with this. (The button and the sensors)
Hey thanks for the Pin Config screenshot... it worked perfectly on Zunpulse 10A Plug..
Its off the cloud :hearteyes:

Edit -
@ishanjain28 @rahuljawale @m0h1t

were u guys able to add the Openbeken flashed Zunpulse plug to Home Assistant?
I am unable to do so... HA is not discovering the device at all, all my configurations are correct, MQTT says its connected but still HA is not discovering the plug

Last edited:
when I say "Lan control" it doesnt mean u cant control remotely... just integrate this custom firmware flashed Tasmota/ESPhome devices with Home Assistant or HomeBridge and u can access it from anywhere... you can even add these devices to Apple Homekit if u are a iOS user for remote access.

read this link for Tuya concerns
Tuya security concerns in the news - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
How do we know tasmota is safe? What app do you use to control tasmota?.

Many smart lights can be controlled via bluetooth as well which is the equivalent of LAN control in some form.

Hey thanks for the Pin Config screenshot... it worked perfectly on Zunpulse 10A Plug..
Its off the cloud :hearteyes:

Edit -
@ishanjain28 @rahuljawale @m0h1t

were u guys able to add the Openbeken flashed Zunpulse plug to Home Assistant?
I am unable to do so... HA is not discovering the device at all, all my configurations are correct, MQTT says its connected but still HA is not discovering the plug
I’m using homebridge. The plug connects via mqtt (plugin: mqtt thing)

I’m using homebridge. The plug connects via mqtt (plugin: mqtt thing)
yes in HA I have over 20 devices integrated via MQTT
but not sure only Openbeken flashed devices are not discovering
How do we know tasmota is safe? What app do you use to control tasmota?.

Many smart lights can be controlled via bluetooth as well which is the equivalent of LAN control in some form.
Tasmota is open source

It can be controlled via web UI or it can be integrated to HomeAssistant

Which 16A smart plug do I buy to flash tasmata easily? For a 2000w geyser control so that it

-Works on a timer if the switch is kept on
-Turns off after an hour if left on by the main switch
-Auto on the device by resetting the main switch

I've used several sonoff wifi ones to control my gate lights and submersible motor and working great since 2020. One for controlling a three phase bluestar central ac(with some wiring hacks that controls the main low power controller of the ac with a l&t single phase relay) and this one I use tasmota.

Good at esp8266 home automations...with coding

Have an Amazon smart plug (6A). Can this be tasmotized?

Which 16A smart plug do I buy to flash tasmata easily? For a 2000w geyser control so that it

-Works on a timer if the switch is kept on
-Turns off after an hour if left on by the main switch
-Auto on the device by resetting the main switch

I've used several sonoff wifi ones to control my gate lights and submersible motor and working great since 2020. One for controlling a three phase bluestar central ac(with some wiring hacks that controls the main low power controller of the ac with a l&t single phase relay) and this one I use tasmota.

Good at esp8266 home automations...with coding

buy the below Wipro one and it works with Tuya convert & u can flash OpenBeken or ESPHome not Tasmota... (openbeken is very similar to Tasmota)
Wipro 16A Wi-Fi Smart Plug, Suitable for Large Appliances like Geysers, Microwave Ovens, and Air Conditioners, Energy Monitoring, Wireless Control, and Voice Control (Pack of 1, Polycarbonate, White) : Amazon.in: Home Improvement

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion. I had same model of smart plug and flashed it with ESPHome via LibreTiny. However the smart plug is toggling On and Off every second. Can you share the PIN numbers that you are using for cf_pin, cf1_pin, sel_pin, LED, Relay and the Physical Button?

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion. I had same model of smart plug and flashed it with ESPHome via LibreTiny. However the smart plug is toggling On and Off every second. Can you share the PIN numbers that you are using for cf_pin, cf1_pin, sel_pin, LED, Relay and the Physical Button?
Hi, Replying my own question. I figured it out after researching the libretiny website. cf_pin: P7, cf1_pin: P8, sel_pin: P24, LED: P6 All these should be inverted. Physical Switch: P26.

Are there any 10A smart plug with energy monitoring capabilities that can run libretiny? I am trying to search for Zunpulse 10a but mostly it’s out of stock? Can you suggest any brand and model that I can buy?

Are there any 10A smart plug with energy monitoring capabilities that can run libretiny? I am trying to search for Zunpulse 10a but mostly it’s out of stock? Can you suggest any brand and model that I can buy?
check for other companies and give it a trail & error using a standard template from Cloudcutter

meanwhile ill check for ones which are compatible
if energy monitoring is not your priority, then just buy Sonoff MiniR2 (it has very easy Tasmota flashing procedure) and place it inside a switch box which connects to power socket
so that particular power socket will fucntion as a smart plug, I have done same for couple of sockets at home

check for other companies and give it a trail & error using a standard template from Cloudcutter

meanwhile ill check for ones which are compatible
if energy monitoring is not your priority, then just buy Sonoff MiniR2 (it has very easy Tasmota flashing procedure) and place it inside a switch box which connects to power socket
so that particular power socket will fucntion as a smart plug, I have done same for couple of sockets at home
Thanks for your immediate reply on this. I have got couple of Sonoff MiniR2 which I was running with Tasmota before. Recently I have flashed them with esphome and integrated with my HA. Yes, energy monitoring is my requirement. I am trying to create automation of my washing machine related alerts using the current sensor of the plug. I am using the CT based sensor for this purpose. However a smart plug with energy monitoring is neat and compact, nicely go with washing machine's power head. No separate chips, wires and power adapters hanging around. In worst case scenario, I can use the Wipro smart plug flashed with esphome which I have confirmed above. I should replace the existing 5A socket to 15A in that case. Regarding trail & error, I already tried with the one I bought initially from Amazon. Tried to flash the Helea brand 10A plugs, manufactured by Tuya. Unfortunately they are running Realtek chips not compatible with libretiny. These chips may require a physical mod using esp8285. Since these are tightly packed smart plugs, I don't want to break the case and fix again. Thanks once again. If you or anyone come across any 10A smart plug compatible with Tasmota/esphome please share the details.

Thanks for your immediate reply on this. I have got couple of Sonoff MiniR2 which I was running with Tasmota before. Recently I have flashed them with esphome and integrated with my HA. Yes, energy monitoring is my requirement. I am trying to create automation of my washing machine related alerts using the current sensor of the plug. I am using the CT based sensor for this purpose. However a smart plug with energy monitoring is neat and compact, nicely go with washing machine's power head. No separate chips, wires and power adapters hanging around. In worst case scenario, I can use the Wipro smart plug flashed with esphome which I have confirmed above. I should replace the existing 5A socket to 15A in that case. Regarding trail & error, I already tried with the one I bought initially from Amazon. Tried to flash the Helea brand 10A plugs, manufactured by Tuya. Unfortunately they are running Realtek chips not compatible with libretiny. These chips may require a physical mod using esp8285. Since these are tightly packed smart plugs, I don't want to break the case and fix again. Thanks once again. If you or anyone come across any 10A smart plug compatible with Tasmota/esphome please share the details.
another option would be to use the Local tuya (supports energy monitoring) integration in HA
GitHub - rospogrigio/localtuya: local handling for Tuya devices

You dont have to flash any firmware... just connect to Smartlife and get the local key from Tuya IoT account.
there are guides on Youtube

another option would be to use the Local tuya (supports energy monitoring) integration in HA
GitHub - rospogrigio/localtuya: local handling for Tuya devices

You dont have to flash any firmware... just connect to Smartlife and get the local key from Tuya IoT account.
there are guides on Youtube
Thanks once again for your immediate reply on this. Earlier (before going the esphome way) I was using the localtuya option with the keys from their IOT Dev cloud. However because of the company policies, they remove the permission after few days(60 days, if I remember correctly), re-request them and configure the key again, etc. I want to run cloud free. No issues, I will keep my research on the 10A Plug, will share my findings.

Thanks once again for your immediate reply on this. Earlier (before going the esphome way) I was using the localtuya option with the keys from their IOT Dev cloud. However because of the company policies, they remove the permission after few days(60 days, if I remember correctly), re-request them and configure the key again, etc. I want to run cloud free. No issues, I will keep my research on the 10A Plug, will share my findings.
yes this was main reason I came out of LocalTuya integration which was dependent on IoT keys and went completely local cloud free smart home setup.

You can try this, looks identical to the zunpulse 10A one. It’s probably the same one, indian brands typically rebadge the same tuya devices.

You can try this, looks identical to the zunpulse 10A one. It’s probably the same one, indian brands typically rebadge the same tuya devices.

I have taken the plunge and ordered one. Awaiting the delivery. Thanks for your suggestion. As I mentioned, in worst case scenario keeping a 15A socket to replace existing 5A socket. If this model works fine (Keeping my fingers crossed) it will be good, else I will get the socket replaced and marry it with Wipro 16A plug that is already calibrated and running. :grinning:

That model doesn’t have energy monitoring feature though I have checked in one of their page showing monitoring is there. So I have returned that plug. Found another 10A plug which supports energy monitoring. Found a user comment mentioning about tasmota and Esphome. Ordered that one l, awaiting the delivery. I will keep you guys posted.

That model doesn’t have energy monitoring feature though I have checked in one of their page showing monitoring is there. So I have returned that plug. Found another 10A plug which supports energy monitoring. Found a user comment mentioning about tasmota and Esphome. Ordered that one l, awaiting the delivery. I will keep you guys posted.
link for the plug pls

link for the plug pls
I wanted to check it before sharing with you. Its from Polycab, named as Hohm Lanre Wi-Fi 10A. However the product I have received was used one by someone where I can see the wear and tear on the product, so I have returned it back without doing anything and ordered the Wipro 16A only. If its available from genuine sources you may consider This one.

Back