TES V: Skyrim - Discussion Thread

LZ8XN.jpg

And there ends an EPIC adventure of a lifetime! It all began on the 16th December last year, when I began playing Skyrim amdist a lot of enthusiastic discussions on our forums. After having read at least a dozen reviews on the game, I was quite sure what was in store for me. And it took me 34 whole days (the in-game counter indicates 102 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds) to complete the game - something I am going to cherish for a long time now. Never before has any game got me hooked so much, that I've dedicated so much time to complete the side quests completing keeping aside the main quest. Call it ridiculous but the amount of content the game presents before us (and packs all this into < 6 GB of installation data!) is simply out of this world!

Be it mining some ore, smelting it into ingots, crafting armor and weaponry at random forges, improving them at a workbench, enchanting them with powers or running behind butterflies and dragonflies or salvaging something out of a shipwreck or playing tag and hide-n-seek with the children or exploring barrows, caves and taverns or a couple of rounds of brawl with NPCs or farming wheat and cabbages or recovering some ancient artifact for a mage from a Dwarven ruin or shouting 'Fus Ro Dah' a gazillion times over or discovering one of those 13 Guardian Stones strewn around the vast lands of Skyrim or wearing the amulet of Mara , getting your character hitched, move into that shiny new house with the newfound love and get rid of the loneliness forever or kicking the Dragon Priest's butt with the elite legendary Daedric swords or swing by Riften's famous inn The Bee and Barb and have a couple of bottles of the expensive and rare alcohol - Black Briar Mead or irritate those giants herding mammoths and take them for a ride or ride the Shadowmere lending that awesome Nazgul looks (with the Deadric armor set of course) or slaying some Ancient Dragons and looting them off their bones and scales or join different courses at the Bards College at Solitude or the College of Winterhold and mastering Magicka or investigating the serial killer case and hunting the bastard down only to discover that 'he' isn't the actual killer much later!
<
or become a werewolf and run around the snowy lands stalking orcs and trolls or simply stare at those aurora borealis lit skies during the night (I did that a lot of times; no kidding!) or discovering random word-walls and absorbing the shouts (and not use them at all!) or improving the heavy armor and block skill by facing them noob cave bears or exploiting the sneak upgrade bug at High Hrothgar or wait, I'd rather pause here because I am not going to stop if I begin telling you what have I been doing all this 102 hours!

There are a GAZILLION things to be done in the game and yet barely scrape the surface of the main storyline! This is exactly what addictive immersive RPGs do to oneself - they simply pull you into their worlds and before you knew the clock was ticking 3 AM, you'd want to complete that quest and the next quest and the next one. I was curious to know how Skyrim would fair when the NDA was lifted and the reviews are out. IGN perfectly summed it up in one line - Say goodbye to real life! And I think I could vouch for that, for I was talking about my adventures to my colleagues - some of them who knew zilch about things like these but were curious to know what happened next, to my boss who used to patiently listen through all the bullcrap I spewed (arrow to the knee - are you fcuking kidding me?!), to my roomie Krishnamoorthy who keenly follows Skyrim through Reddit, to my friends and so forth. Thank goodness my parents and ex were spared of this misery!

The game however, wasn't perfect (no game was and will never be!) for the numerous bugs and glitches at times were irritating but given a game that must have taken no less than mindless programming, this is a given. The impeccable mods at Skyrim Nexus for the PC was a blessing - tweaking and fine-tuning the performance and IQ - the game ultimately looked a stunner on my 40 inch display and ran butter smooth on my present system (i5 2500K + 8 gigs RAM + 6950 2GB). Absolutely no hiccups or slideshows (not even at Markarth - beat that lol!). But regardless, this was one heck of a ride, and I loved every bit of it. Those ingenious devs. at Bethesda deserve a standing ovation. The least I could do for them as a player is to buy a copy of Skyrim and donate it to someone (for a discount ofc!) and I am just going to do that.
<
Sadly the game never released in India officially till date but hey there's always eBay, Flipkart and Steam around. I am going to bid a teary goodbye to Skyrim because when the next installment of TES is released by Bethesda, I'd have probably got hitched by then with a truckload of responsibilities and quite possibly would have a toddler (or even two if I end up being super lucky!) running around my home in his/her diapers. Until then I could pray and hope, whoever my newfound partner is (fortunate or unfortunate she maybe!), she would let me play the game undisturbed until completion. A far fetched thought I know but there is no harm in trying and persuading.
<
Farewell Dovahkiin, adios TES *sob sob* and thank you so much Bethesda - we love you loads! Keep rocking and keep churning out awesome titles in the decades to come.

Arrrrgh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spoiler Tags please !!!

Extremely sorry man! I don't how I posted all those.
<

Edited the post.

Well put Gannu. The game is so ambitious and immersive that you end up ignoring all its flaws.

However, it isn't over yet right? What about playing the game again as a sneaky character or a mage who doesn't use weapons? Did you finish everything ont one playthrough?

I am going to bid a teary goodbye to Skyrim because when the next installment of TES is released by Bethesda, I'd have probably got hitched by then with a truckload of responsibilities

Marriage is not the end of gaming, if you manage to filter out the nagging and increased decibel levels
<
You'll get the hang of it, fret not...

However, it isn't over yet right? What about playing the game again as a sneaky character or a mage who doesn't use weapons? Did you finish everything ont one playthrough?

Now I do not suppose I can take this up once more since I had completed almost all the major side quests (not counting those infinite animal extermination/dragon slaying quests) and could possibly guess the outcome of each event which spoils the playthrough to some extent.

Marriage is not the end of gaming, if you manage to filter out the nagging and increased decibel levels
<
You'll get the hang of it, fret not...

Amen to that brother! I really hope it isn't and I wouldn't want to forfeit my long loved childhood passion. I hope it all goes well. I guess your consolation comes from experience yeah?
<

Amen to that brother! I really hope it isn't and I wouldn't want to forfeit my long loved childhood passion. I hope it all goes well. I guess your consolation comes from experience yeah?
<

Sadly, yes. But I know some lucky dogs who managed to convert their wives into gamers and is playing the shit out of all coop games out there. A point to consider while looking out for girls? "Should know cooking and should have a Level 50 Battlefield 3 character"
<

Getting wives into games might not be the best idea. A friend of mine got so into Ragnarok that at one point she wouldn't give her husband any food till he leveled her chars.

After 150 hours of gameplay,i have finally bid farewell to skyrim.Will come back and play again when dlcs and mods get released.I wish there is a game like skyrim released every year.

Has anybody noticed how similar the morrowind theme is to the skyrim theme:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM[/video]

Okay I have a question:

After completing 'The Golden Claw' and getting the Dragonstone I returned to Riverwood and found something weird happening:

The guards started to attack me on sight in Riverwood!! So I was like whoa and reloaded the game and this time went to Whiterun instead of Riverwood. There in Whiterun as I entered a guard ran down from his post and with his weapon drawn said I had committed crimes against the citizens of Skyrim. I was given 3 choices, to fight the guards, to go to prison or to pay a 40 gold bounty to be set free again. I paid the gold and then all was okay and I was a free man again!

Now what I couldn't figure out was, what crime had I committed against the citizens of Skyrim? I had not stolen anything till that point in the game. But yes I had killed a chicken on the farmlands in Riverwood IIRC, was that the "crime"? If so I'll be sure to stay away from those birds from now on, dang!! Hehe...

P.S.: Where's the 'Spoiler' button? I can't seem to find it on the new TE layout in the reply options.

Now what I couldn't figure out was, what crime had I committed against the citizens of Skyrim? I had not stolen anything till that point in the game. But yes I had killed a chicken on the farmlands in Riverwood IIRC, was that the "crime"? If so I'll be sure to stay away from those birds from now on, dang!! Hehe...

Yes it is
<

#Black_Hawk for placing spoilers do this

[ spoiler ] <place text here> [ / spoiler ]

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

Back