TES V: Skyrim - Discussion Thread

^I have to agree to all the points above but fortunately for me the good parts in the game overshadowed these and let me enjoy it.

But BEWARE, I'll probably have tons of newbie RPG queries for this games.

This game is very very noob-friendly the way I see it unlike Witcher 2. You'll get adapted to it quite easily. Give it some time.

I started the game yesterday night and I'm facing grave difficulty with navigating the on-screen directional compass to find my quest location. I can't seem to understand how to follow the tracker, so I can go in the perfect direction. I have to to keep referring to my main map to see if I'm facing the right direction. The absence of mini-map really sucks. I was able to understand the leveling up part, magika, item gathering and stuff, but the whole skill constellation tree is has boggled my mind. Will the game provide me enough tips to learn that stuff or is it "learn on your own" kind of thing?

Just give it a bit more time. I found the map in the game and the in-game directional pointer to be very useful. Just select a quest, select the objective and the pointer should appear. If multiple objectives get selected at the same time, multiple pointers appear. Just follow it and you will reach it irrespective of the terrain - snow, rock, water or air.

As for the constellation based skill tree, understand that the more you use a particular skill, the more it will evolve over time and level up accordingly. If you use a two-handed weapon all the time, the two-handed skill levels up. If you have worn a light armor and receive hits from the enemy AI, it levels up gradually. As these skills level up, your entire level increases. Each level up rewards you with a skill point which can be spent on upgrading any skill on the constellation tree. Some skills require a minimum skill level to be unlocked.

OK, so it's auto-level up for those constellation part? Do I have to assign any skill points to increase/manage them later?

As I understand, by leveling up, you can increase your Magika, Health or Stamina right. What else can be done? Weapons/armour is obtained from traders and fallen enemies. I noticed spell books being talked about, I suppose that would be to increase my magic ability. I have chosen the Imperial class. How do you separate side from the main quests?

It is something like this. Your overall level up, that light purple bar fills up automatically when other skills in the constellation tree level up. And those skills level up only when you use them frequently. If you don't, they wouldn't budge, not even a bit. So if you are a warrior specializing in combat skills, your magic skills like alteration, conjuration, destruction etc or stealth skills like alchemy, sneak, speech etc wouldn't improve and vice-versa.

Each skill in the constellation tree has its associated perks which you need to unlock as you level up. Do note that these perks when unlocked remain permanently unlocked for the rest of your progress, cannot be undone and reassigned later.

Some NPCs can help you train a particular skill (you'll come across them eventually as you explore Skyrim) but is limited to 5 levels per overall level. And they charge as you well. This charge increases phenomenally as you seek training from Master/Expert trainers. Some skill books also help you increase the skill by 1 level. Sometimes, completion of a quest rewards you with a skill level-up by that NPC who gave you the quest.

I started the game yesterday night and I'm facing grave difficulty with navigating the on-screen directional compass to find my quest location. I can't seem to understand how to follow the tracker, so I can go in the perfect direction. I have to to keep referring to my main map to see if I'm facing the right direction. The absence of mini-map really sucks.

Yes, I also miss an on-screen mini map. In fact I was surprised not to see one when I started playing the game. Constant switching to the main map while traveling in the woods is the only option I guess. The objective marker doesn't do the trick here, just doesn't feel right to follow it without toggling to the main map. Just keep at it and switching to the main map will become second nature in this game with all the traveling in-between places you'll do. It's one massive map.

Edit: Just a progress report here: I'm almost done with the Winterhold main quests. Then moving onto the Winterhold miscellaneous quests.
<

^I have to agree to all the points above but fortunately for me the good parts in the game overshadowed these and let me enjoy it.

This game is very very noob-friendly the way I see it unlike Witcher 2. You'll get adapted to it quite easily. Give it some time.

I'm not trying to stop you from enjoying it
<
Just saying, Beth missed an opportunity here to create a truly epic game which would've been playable for 250 hours like Morrowind was. They created all those minute details but failed to make a living/breathing world out of it. Hopefully, the modders will take of this
<

Until then, Skyrim's on the shelf for me!

The day I said it got boring, I am getting strange artifacts while playing. The objects are flickering and going bonkers
<

Reinstalled but to no avail
<

#dark star, could it be a problem with the crossfire setup or your GPU? Does it artifact when you run an instance of OCCT?

Quit playing Skyrim already and move on!
<

Had palyed upto level 27 and then had to go to cidhna mine jail in Markarth.Before going to the jail I had kept all my gear(all gold too about 13 k ##^%$^%$ and also my clothes and armor
<
) in the alchemy room chest in breezehome.Now after I escape form the jail and come back to breezehome all my stufff is f$%#$g gone!!!!!!!!.Have to start again from a save 4 days back.Seriously thinking of ditching the game altogether.I was thinking that I am lucky not having run into any bugs but the first one I got screwed me over royally.

^^ Dang that sucks!! This is the reason I keep saving (hard save) every few gaming minutes and also backup my save games almost after every long session.

I'm saving constantly as well. That's the first tip that IGN had provided; Save, save & save.
<

I ran into just one glitch for now. It's with the quest marker disappearing. It was during the mission where I had to deliver a letter from Faendal to Camilla. The quest marker appeared for sometime, but when I unselected it and re-selected it, the marker wouldn't appear on my map. It was only after I got another side quest, did it show up. Weird!

I just got all lost today while doing a side quest under the Winterhold College. It's the quest where you need to get Urag gro-Shrub a book he wants > the darn book is located in a winding dark cave which is massively infested with enemies and spiders!! Not to mention I ended up losing my way because the map marker was apparently making no sense to me!!

I quit the game... will try again tomorrow, have to complete the quest
<

The Frost Troll kicked my ass last night. This freak of the nature regenerates health. I just hauled ass out of there, for now. It's sad that this game doesn't have a dodge roll, but I guess that wouldn't be feasible from a first person perspective. I'm currently at level 5, with two-handed weapon being my strong suit. I can't figure out how alchemy works. Is archery important? I believe it would be useful in case of a Dragon raid, right? I haven't touched a single bow-and-arrow yet.
<

Back