The book I am reading currently

What do you think of it? I'm almost through with the first book, and it feels more like a young adult fiction to me rather than a full fledged fantasy novel, and I'm not really a fan of YA books. Not sure if I'll end up ordering the 2nd one - but then again, I don't like leaving any series unfinished.
I have read both books in the series. I wouldn't say young adult (what will Harry Potter, Cirque du Freak, Eragon, City of Bones be?) I am no longer interested in reading the third, the whole gestation towards edits (books were completed ever before the first print) got to me.

No offense to Dan Brown fans, I feel he is kinda repetitive. Quite cliched writing, I personally call him Chetan Bhagat of English fiction :p Books are enjoyable timepass though.

Finished Inferno - and, I am disappointed.
For me in Langdon series Angels & Demon >= DaVinci Code >> Lost Symbols >>> Inferno.

Next in queue - "And Mountains Echoed".

Jeffrey Archer's False Impression
Terry Prachett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth - I haven't read any book by either before but I'm gonna hunt for more. Except Discword. Around 50 books in that series!!! *Archive Panic*

Just finished rereading Scarecrow and the army of thieves. Amazing book I should say. Anybody can recommend similar authors like Matthew Reilly, James Rollins... etc?

Finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Found it better than "Inferno". Also competed "The Krishna Key" by Ashwin Sanghi. It's cheap rip off of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.

Currently reading "To Kill A Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee.

Just finished rereading Scarecrow and the army of thieves. Amazing book I should say. Anybody can recommend similar authors like Matthew Reilly, James Rollins... etc?

Try Andy McDermott. He writes a similar genre. BUT he is nowhere close to Mat Reilly and Rollins. McDermott focuses more on the action rather than character building, and all his archeology finds just happen without any buildup.

Reilly and Rollins are the masters of this genre. Not to forget Clive Cussler with his original Dirk Pitt series.

Yeah, I concur
Lost symbol >>> Inferno

Considering The Lost Symbol was a shit-tastic book, I am going to stay the hell away from Inferno. Don't want to waste money really, otherwise I don't miss any books of authors I've once read, even if the quality of their writing has deteriorated over the years.

The Shallows by Nicolas Carr

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_G._Carr
Beautiful book explaining about the formation of Neural paths and habits, helps in understanding how the brain works, moreover the author was also nominated for pulitzer prize.

Good choice. Great book.

Try Andy McDermott. He writes a similar genre. BUT he is nowhere close to Mat Reilly and Rollins. McDermott focuses more on the action rather than character building, and all his archeology finds just happen without any buildup.

Reilly and Rollins are the masters of this genre. Not to forget Clive Cussler with his original Dirk Pitt series.

Considering The Lost Symbol was a shit-tastic book, I am going to stay the hell away from Inferno. Don't want to waste money really, otherwise I don't miss any books of authors I've once read, even if the quality of their writing has deteriorated over the years.

Good choice. Great book.

On the mark about Andy McDermott I would say. Read the Rise of Atlantis. The writing is not that great and the book seemed like a comedy. Have read all of em from Reilly and they are way better. Gonna go finish the sigma force books by Rollins.

Really liked "Wolf of the Plains". Conn Iggulden is an amazing storyteller and he has sketched the story of Genghis Khan in an interesting way. Picked up the second book in the series "Lord of the Bows".

My first deal with Amazon - bought three book
  • Not A Penny More Not A Penny Less - Jeffrey Archer
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie
  • And then There were None - Agatha Christie
(all for 485 bucks. And as others said in Amazon feedback thread, the packing was really bad).

Started with "Not A Penny More Not A Penny Less". I am big fan of Archer and I'm loving this one too.

BTW, I have never read any Agatha Christie before. But heard very good review about these two.

I gave up on Mazalan after a couple of hundred pages. Way too many characters making the story complex but there isn't enough to hold interest.
Actually after reading other fantasy novels, where this is a lot of character build up from the start, Steve Erikson has chosen something different. He pushes you head along into action, the back ground story and character buildup is slower and later. Initially I hated the style, but after completing book four I love the style. Yep the character buildup is lower because atleast for the first two books, there will be too many characters introduced, and the timeline is just too vast to concentrate on one set of characters. The key is to just take the story in as it flows without doing too much of "back thinking" on the map or character history, it will all eventually flow in.

The world build up is simply fabulous, he might not have skill of creating colorful characters as Martin, but he more than builds up in creating expansive world across long timelines.

I have just read one book of Brandon Sanderson called Elantris and I was an immediate fan. I simply loved his style of creating strong witty female characters, almost all other fantasy writers have a typical male sexist view of female characters in fantasy genre. I have earmarked all his series for a read (once I am through Malazan book of Fallen and Night Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton). I have fallen into a tick tock book mood where I will alternate between two series in fantasy and scifi respectively :)

Back