The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the OTA update is nothing to do with problems in jailbreak but it was merely so that you could save the SHSH blobs (if used iTunes to update). I might be wrong.
One can jailbreak whether the device was updated using OTA update or iTunes restore, does not matter think.

You can JB either ways. But people who had updated to 6.1 via OTA than the one's who updated with iTunes [using IPSW], do not seem to have problems with weather app. Though it may not be correct.

Lets wait till they fix it !

Guys stock Weather app working after JB ?

No problem here, iPhone 5, iPad2/3. Only problem I faced was with iPad 2, but that could be cause I directly updated from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.1. Checking which of my fav tweaks are updated for iOS 6. :bleh:

Can anyone suggest any good iOS app to make VOIP calls between two iPhones ? I know one most popular app is Viber and i do have it installed. But recently i have started facing issues where i am on a decent vodafone 3G connection while my wife is on home wifi and still we keep getting poor network quality and the call always disconnects. Surprising thing here is that FaceTime which is more data intensive because of audio and video works absolutely fine, at the very same time and place, so you know the network parameters are still the same.
So any other alternate app to install on both of our phones ?

Can anyone suggest any good iOS app to make VOIP calls between two iPhones ? I know one most popular app is Viber and i do have it installed. But recently i have started facing issues where i am on a decent vodafone 3G connection while my wife is on home wifi and still we keep getting poor network quality and the call always disconnects. Surprising thing here is that FaceTime which is more data intensive because of audio and video works absolutely fine, at the very same time and place, so you know the network parameters are still the same.
So any other alternate app to install on both of our phones ?

Try Skype, I use Viber for calling my relatives in US and it works absolutely fine. Might some prob with the server. Try again?

I seem to have a problem with google calendar on my iPhone. I have set google calendar as one of the calendars to work in my iPhone with stock calendar app. I can enter events and everything fine but there is no way to set SMS as reminder for the event. But using a 3rd party app called CalenMob i can also set SMS alert, the same way we do on web as well.
Problem is that the stock calendar does not sync the new event (that i created on web or using 3rd party app) and does not show me on lockscreen (i have LockInfo installed). It only sync when i actually open the calendar app.

Is there a way i can get this thing to sync automatically ?
If not then there is any option to set SMS reminders as well using the stock calendar app (but event created under google calendar).

Guys...need a little help here.

I screwed up royally today; I did a restore to 6.1 without backing up and now all my messages and contacts are gone:(:(

I thought that all these could be recovered from my cloud backup but no luck... Guys any ideas?
I just need to the contacts and messages (even whatsapp messages lost)

I screwed up royally today; I did a restore to 6.1 without backing up and now all my messages and contacts are gone:(:(

I thought that all these could be recovered from my cloud backup but no luck... Guys any ideas?

Do you happen to have your contacts in google contact ?
If yes then you can add a new account for google and only sync contacts from them and it should all be there. For messages i have no idea how to get them.

Sorry but I dont think you can recover text messages since they are not saved in iCloud. Try loging to iCloud https://www.icloud.com/ and check if your contacts are there or not.

vercetti: Your iTunes usually makes a backup. I think you could try restoring from a backup by clicking on Preferences and seeing the backups stored.

Changing topic: Am looking for an el cheapo charger case. Any recommendations? Found these off ebay
Portable External Power Pack Extra Battery Case iPhone 4 4G 4S (2100mAh) Black | eBay

Apple iPhone 4 / 4G External Battery Cover - 1900mah Backup Charging Case (--) | eBay
(dont like this one as the charging is done by mini-usb)

External 1900mAh Emergency Battery Back Case for iPhone 4 / 4S - black | eBay

guys & @raksrules try InstallousAlive, it won't let close/kill Installous app even if internet is working on device :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems many new apps or updates are iOS 6+ only which means i might loose out on new apps/updates if i don't update my device now. As Pod2g suggested, iOS 6.1.1 does not break jailbreak, i think i will wait for iOS 6.1.1 public to be released before i make the update.
But as always i get paranoid about screwing up when trying to update the iPhone.
So few queries...

How exactly do i go ahead with the update ? Whenever i connect my phone to iTunes, it says new software 6.1 available and should i download and install and i always cancel that till now. So do i just download and install it ? Remember that my iPhone is jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 so i don't want the phone to get stuck somewhere or stay on Apple logo or something weird should not happen.

How do i ensure that my SMSes and Contacts stay as it is after the update? Before i update my iphone can i do this...
Take a backup explicitly -> Update iOS version (i guess this too will take backup ??) -> Restore from backup
Any issues i am expecting ?

Will i loose out on whatsapp stored messages ? If yes then anyway to backup ?

Will all my apps be available as they are now, even the ones downloaded from alternate sources ? I usually do the "Transfer purchases" thing.

Are there any major known issues with the new jailbreak ? Like something important is broken ?

More questions as and when i remember

- - - Updated - - -

guys & raksrules try InstallousAlive, it won't let close/kill Installous app even if internet is working on device :)

This will not be useful if i update to iOS 6 right since i won't have any way to install Installous.

Am looking for an el cheapo charger case. Any recommendations? Found these off ebay
Portable External Power Pack Extra Battery Case iPhone 4 4G 4S (2100mAh) Black | eBay

I too am looking for one and don't want to spend a fortune on those mophie and all cases. From your options, i like this one by looks.
If anyone has bought and used these cheap battery pack cases from ebay, please let us know well they fare? I am pretty sure the actual battery capacity is lower than the advertised capacity.

Follow this method :

• Take back up of Cydia, you can use PkgBackup, xBackup etc. But I just take screenshots from Manage > Packages. These backup tools are not that advanced [last time I checked] & so they might install older versions if there is no new version for 6.1.
  • Open iTunes & take back up of your phone [do not encrypt the backup]
  • I usually store lots of things in iFile. If you are of same kine, take back up of any files you have saved in iFile
  • Update to 6.1 or 6.1.1.
  • Jailbreak and Restore back up.
  • OR first you can restore the back up & JB

Restoring back up would not make it un-JB.

You can update either using iTunes or OTA. I usually download IPSW file & update it via iTunes. [shift + Update your iPhone]

When you take back up SMS, Contacts, Whatsapp messages will be saved in back up.

And yes, all your apps will be available. Provided they are supported by iOS 6 & you install AppSync.

This will not be useful if i update to iOS 6 right since i won't have any way to install Installous.
Why would I post it if I cannot install Installous on iOS 6 ? :p I have installed it in my phone & it's working :)

btw people who are all missing Hackulo/Installous, try AppCake
Metalspree

Can anyone suggest me from where I can buy screen guard pack of either 3 or more screen guards ? The last screen guard I applied went bad due to usage and mainly in the bottom right screen space because of constant finger movement on that area.
I got a new screen guard (only front) applied from a shop for 100 Rs (which I think is costly).
So can anyone suggest some good eBay listing or any website where I can buy screen guard pack so I can apply a new one when the current one goes bad.
Are there any good quality screen guard which can resist scratches on the guard as well ? Probably I am asking for more ?

can anyone tell me which cydia can help me change folder background ?? :/

Can anyone suggest me from where I can buy screen guard pack of either 3 or more screen guards ? The last screen guard I applied went bad due to usage and mainly in the bottom right screen space because of constant finger movement on that area. apply a new one when the current one goes bad............
Are there any good quality screen guard which can resist scratches on the guard as well ? Probably I am asking for more ?
Look for Spigen screen guards !! using em .. resisting scratches quite nicely !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back