The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copy-Paste and SMS forwarding are available by default! Not sure about games though, I don't play games on my iPhone :)

4dh1r said:
I had updated the iPhone firmware from 1.14 to 3.1.x some time back and found out the following:
  • Moving to firmware 3.1.2 is possible from 1.14 but I lost all of my SMS in the process... Didn't know how to get it back, although there are some methods to backup and restore older SMS. I think that if the firmware is upgraded from 2.x to 3.x then the SMS remains in the phone, but not from 1.14 to 3.x
  • Video recording function not present in iPhone 2G running 3.x
  • Lots of free games/apps can be obtained from Apple's App Market.
  • Copy - Paste funtion is enabled in 3.x and it is amaaazing!!! :eek:hyeah:
  • SMS fwding is very much possible in 3.x (upgraded from 1.x/2.x) and very easy / intuitive

hey.. i have been frantically searching for anyone who has updated from 1.1.4 to the latest..finally..!!
i'm still on the 1.1.4 with baseband 04.04.05_G.
I heard there are some software and battery issues on upgrading it to the 3.x versions.. have you faced any such probs..??

also if so, should I then just update to the 2.2.X version to avoid this..? will the latest enable me to just update it to 2.2.x firmwares..??

V

I'm not able to download the apps on my itunes to my iPhone.. is it cause the iPhone is Jailbroken?
and if not, then how can i use the Apps from iTunes..
TIA

You are not able to downoad apps most probabbly because most of the new apps now require atleast OS 2.0...

and update your iPhone to the latest firmware... there are some issues, but more advantages such as sms forwarding

IceFusion said:
You are not able to downoad apps most probabbly because most of the new apps now require atleast OS 2.0...
and update your iPhone to the latest firmware... there are some issues, but more advantages such as sms forwarding

Alright, but i have also heard that one of my friends said his phone had actually gone slower after updating it to 3.X firmware..
I suppose i can't update to 3.1.3, as they haven't come out with the Unlocking & JB software?
My other problem is, i don't know which BL is on my phone, like i mentioned, it is the 1.1.4 with 04.04.05_G, but then how do i confirm my BL?

Finally, just to know, Can I upgrade it to only 2.2.x version or do I have to do it to the latest?

TIA

^^ You can upgrade to 2.2.x if you need. Regarding problems with 3.x, I didn't face any except the wifi and push bug.

If you want to increase your battery life in 3.x, disable Push, Location services and notifications. You can turn it off in settings once you are at 3.x

reshadat said:
^^ You can upgrade to 2.2.x if you need. Regarding problems with 3.x, I didn't face any except the wifi and push bug.

If you want to increase your battery life in 3.x, disable Push, Location services and notifications. You can turn it off in settings once you are at 3.x

cool.. then i better get going on this.. thanks..

I wanna buy 2 iPhone 3g 8GB phones. I was given a Quote of Rs 27812 from Vodafone yesterday. Any idea how much would a Brand New iPhone 3G 8Gb cost me from the grey Market ?

Guys, not that I am against iphone. But you need to take a look at phones like HTC Hero, Palm Pre before buying iphone 3G which is very inferior to phones available in market today. If you are able to shell out 35k-38k bucks, get iphone 3G S from grey market. It's totally not worth to spend 28k on iPhone 3G.

How much does a Palm Pre CDMA cost ? Will I get a Bill ? Will There be Warranty ?

BTW, Windows Mobile is absolute crap as its nothing but a prettier Windows Mobile 5 being passed on from years & Android though promising is still in very nascent stages of development. I mean mean cmon it cant even play damn DivX files !!!

Not to mention iPhone as a brilliant interface, the multi touch is awesome, the build quality is easily the best & the apps for it make it totally excellent. as far as the resale of an iPhone is concerned it commands much more premium over other phones.

BTW, i also have a Nokia 5800XM so im not interested in a N97 mini as barring a few features its pretty much the same thing.

desiibond said:
Guys, not that I am against iphone. But you need to take a look at phones like HTC Hero, Palm Pre before buying iphone 3G which is very inferior to phones available in market today. If you are able to shell out 35k-38k bucks, get iphone 3G S from grey market. It's totally not worth to spend 28k on iPhone 3G.

Would you care to justify the additional 10k for 3Gs over 3G?

Zero cool, ther is a 3G 16GB in ebay for sale, incase you're interested in used ones. http://bit.ly/a3yVlS

Guys a question about Iphone data plana for those using iPhone bought through airtel. My one year free data plan will expire next month... And after that I'll be charged 30ps/50kb... At tht rate and my current usage it will turn out to be very expensive for me. The question I wanted to ask is whether airtel allows you to switch to any non iPhone plan or are you stuck with that one single crappy plan till you jailbreak the phone. (my phone is not jailbroken)

mathi_vadhanan said:
Would you care to justify the additional 10k for 3Gs over 3G?

Zero cool, ther is a 3G 16GB in ebay for sale, incase you're interested in used ones. eBay India: Apple iPhone 3G 16 GB Mint condition ( 4 Months Old ) (item 180477561427 end time 13-Mar-2010 07:06:50 IST)

Double the storage
Lot better CPU/GPU/RAM leads to much faster UI and better gaming experience
better camera
digital compass
Voice commands

How can you justify paying 28k for a phone with features that are mediocre when compared to phones like HTC Hero.

^^No, I wasn't comparing iphones to HTC Hero. When 3G is not work at 28K, so is 3Gs at 38K. I don't see the point of spending 40K for 3GS, when Iphone 4G is just around the corner.

Guyz, Please post any latest interesting Cydia/Rock APPS that you use.
I'm currently using,
1) iBluenova - Ironed out version of iBluetooth. I'm totally loving it.
2) PDANet - Getting good download speeds thru USB connection. Putting the Rs98/Month DataPlan to good use.
3) Pwnplayer
4) AdBblock
5) mxTube - Youtube Downloader.
and other must-have JB apps like backgrounder, terminal, SB settings, winterboard etc..

Allright guys, I got a quote for the Iphone 3GS, factory unlocked, for Rs. 27500/- from Vaishno Electronics, Karol Bagh. How is the deal?

I am looking to get either the 3GS, the HD2 or the Nexus One.

SumitB said:
Allright guys, I got a quote for the Iphone 3GS, factory unlocked, for Rs. 27500/- from Vaishno Electronics, Karol Bagh. How is the deal?

I am looking to get either the 3GS, the HD2 or the Nexus One.

Awesome price that ! Get it.

Is there any way to update (then unlock & jb) the iphone 2G to a lower version(2.2.1) than what is available on the itunes automatic update (3.1.3)?

the link below explains it, but one doubt i had was,
would i need to update the iphone to 2.2.1 from itunes, or will the
firmware i downloaded do that when i restore to it?

How to Unlock iPhone 2G 2.2.1 and Jailbreak iPhone 2G 2.2.1 with Quickpwn 2.2.5 | iPhoneHeat

Need help, i'm planning on doing it now, so wanna know if i'm missing out anything?

TIA.

^ You would not need to update from iTunes. Follow the procedure verbatim and you should be fine !

But why 2.2.1 ? Why not 3.0.x ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back