The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally gave a call to AT&T using Skype and registered my request. They have given me a date of 11th may for getting back on to the unlock. Lets see what cooks by then. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the phone comes out clean off the AT&T obligations. The customer care sounded decent.

Finally gave a call to AT&T using Skype and registered my request. They have given me a date of 11th may for getting back on to the unlock. Lets see what cooks by then. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the phone comes out clean off the AT&T obligations. The customer care sounded decent.

If they took your request then there is a very good chance it will be unlocked. For me they shot me down 4 times (just by checking the IMEI, then and there) citing reasons like contract not over, security reasons (???) etc etc. But finally at the 5th instance one rep gave in and unlocked the phone
happy19.gif

Nice sweet talk works.

My phone resting in the superb Otterbox Defender Glacier White. Looks amazing & the clip on holster is great to carry the phone.

Highly recommended product.

I found this written on slickdeals AT&T unlock thread...

According to AT&T, 4/28 was the last day that they will unlock iphones for people without AT&T service. A memo was sent to all reps. If you have a case that was opened before 4/28, you are still good to go and should get your unlock.

I am not sure if AT&T is unlocking devices for people not using AT&T service, now, they did before 4/28. So if someone here wants to get their iPhone unlocked, then try contacting any friend etc who has AT&T service and tell them to place the request. I would have done but i do not have AT&T service.

Otterbox cases are good to protect the phone but they look chunky and IMHO hideous and totally kills the sleekness of the iPhone. Been using a Belkin soft silicone case with a screen protector for over 1.5 years now on my iPhone 4. Works great. Also the otterboxdefender has lots of fitment problems with docks.

The friend who got me my iPhone got me a Otterbox defender with the phone. Black color though.

I found this written on slickdeals AT&T unlock thread...

According to AT&T, 4/28 was the last day that they will unlock iphones for people without AT&T service. A memo was sent to all reps. If you have a case that was opened before 4/28, you are still good to go and should get your unlock.

I am not sure if AT&T is unlocking devices for people not using AT&T service, now, they did before 4/28. So if someone here wants to get their iPhone unlocked, then try contacting any friend etc who has AT&T service and tell them to place the request. I would have done but i do not have AT&T service.

Why would one need to get the phone unlock if you are on AT&T. You need the unlock if you are not on AT&T.

Yeah they do look chunky but I needed something that offers protection. While all the functions are preserved, easy access to controls.

The holster also makes it extremely easy to carry around. Overall I've liked the look too, will post some pics. I got Glacier White color that visibly reduces the bulk & complements the look. No need for additional screen or back protectors, front screen guard is great on the defender.

Camera & other cutouts on the model for 4s preserve all the functions. I've used it without holster also & its easily pocketable. The silicone is of extremely good quality & does not attract lint. Also not sticky. Lay on the table is great, Touch input is also not affected because the cover just about covers the edges & leaves the screen as such.

Btw, mine fell a couple of times & there's no scratch, bump, dent, etc. Fall height was aprox 4 ft.

I too vote for otterbox. No doubt it hides the beauty but it protects too. Have had the iPhone fall once and i know what would have happened if there was no otterbox.

If they took your request then there is a very good chance it will be unlocked. For me they shot me down 4 times (just by checking the IMEI, then and there) citing reasons like contract not over, security reasons (???) etc etc. But finally at the 5th instance one rep gave in and unlocked the phone
happy19.gif

Nice sweet talk works.

this was my first request & they turned me down
<
any suggestions ?? :

No valid current or former mobile/account number associated with request

this was my first request & they turned me down
sad.gif
any suggestions ?? :

No valid current or former mobile/account number associated with request

They seem to have stopped entertaining requests from non AT&T account holders. So it is now sort of necessary to catch hold of someone who has AT&T account or had one and use his account details to log the request for unlock.

I have a friend who has AT&T, not sure though. So he has to place request behalf of me ? Btw his contract won't be associated with the IMEI of current phone he is using ?

i got the same reply from AT&T today. And going by the rules for eligibility i think the phone has to be on the line of the person who will place the request. The only other way is if you can provide a proof of buying the phone at the No-commitment pricing and that too through the right channels, which can surely rule out eBay or other online purchases.

I have a friend who has AT&T, not sure though. So he has to place request behalf of me ? Btw his contract won't be associated with the IMEI of current phone he is using ?

No they wont associate the phone to his account. Tell him to tell the ATT rep that he bought the phone from craigslist (so no receipt). He need not have the phone associated to his account. I know it may sound ridiculous but that is the case. No harm in trying.

I think it will be better if I if all them behalf of him. Can you tell me what are the details AT&T will be needing ?

I think it will be better if I if all them behalf of him. Can you tell me what are the details AT&T will be needing ?

They will need name of the person holding the account and AT&T account number from what i know. But ensure that they do not link that phone to the person and make it clear at the start that the phone was bought from craigslist or something (where they cannot ask you for receipt).

Has the unlock process changed ?

If you bought it off eBay or purchased of contract, just give them a call on helpline, they will ask your name and after cross checking the imei, they will give you a case number, case number means your unlock will be through in a week

Will be released within a week.
I thought they will release at the hitb conference.
My 4s is waiting.... Come to papa.
FREEDOM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back