The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Just installed the update and everything looking good so far.

ajab.ghajab said:
NSU says no updates available. What alternatives do I have!

I think you need to change the product code and then update. I don't quite know how's it done, wait for other replies.

can anyone post their Server profile for Over-the-Air(OTA) upgrade? its empty on my phone:(

please post the settings from here:

Menu --> Settings --> Phone --> Phone mgmt. --> Device Updates. Click Options --> Server Profiles

Please post:)

Gaurish said:
can anyone post their Server profile for Over-the-Air(OTA) upgrade? its empty on my phone:(

please post the settings from here:
Menu --> Settings --> Phone --> Phone mgmt. --> Device Updates. Click Options --> Server Profiles

Please post:)

Mine says no server profiles. The update hasn't come OTA yet, use NSU. :)

baccilus said:
Can anyone comment on the touch screen on this phone. I have never used a touch screen. Is it too resistive (insensitive) and inaccurate as some people say. Will it be difficult to type on it? I look and type. I never type without looking at the key board. Is it a could phone to buy before the the android phone prices come down to a realistic level? My current phone has started giving me problems.
And how would be the experience of reading books on it in the landscape mode?

I know everyone is excited about the firmware update, but still some one please answer my query too.

yes. I upgraded my phone's firmware yesterday.

@baccilus, It is a good phone and the touchscreen is good too. Touch accuracy is pretty good, typing is very very easy thanks to wide landscape qwerty. Reading books is not that great.

what's your budget? A 3.5" capacitive touch could be useful for your needs.

OK, meanwhile I have a very DUMB question. I think the Bluetooth transfer isn't working. This is what I did. I connected a Bluetooth dongle to my computer over USB, enabled Bluetooth on the phone, made it detectable, then from the Bluetooth on the computer, I detected the phone, on the phone gave the confirmation code, and after a small bit of struggle with finding the drivers, it finally said it's connected. Then I tried to transfer a file [right click on file, send through Bluetooth device]. Phone asked for confirmation, I said 'Yes'. And thereafter the transfer screen on the computer just showed 'sending' for ever. It was just a 1KB text file. I waited for 5 minutes, and then to confirm if the transfer actually took place, connected the phone to the computer via USB, searched for the file name, but it wasn't there. Can someone help me here? I can post screenshots if required!

baccilus said:
Can anyone comment on the touch screen on this phone. I have never used a touch screen. Is it too resistive (insensitive) and inaccurate as some people say. Will it be difficult to type on it? I look and type. I never type without looking at the key board. Is it a could phone to buy before the the android phone prices come down to a realistic level? My current phone has started giving me problems.
And how would be the experience of reading books on it in the landscape mode?

The touch screen is good. The full screen QWERTY is quite impressive, though it took a little bit of getting used to - around a day or so. Reading books is I would say 'decent'.

desiibond said:
@baccilus, It is a good phone and the touchscreen is good too. Touch accuracy is pretty good, typing is very very easy thanks to wide landscape qwerty. Reading books is not that great.

what's your budget? A 3.5" capacitive touch could be useful for your needs.

My budget is upto 20K. I would love a 3.5" capacitive screen within this budget too. But I don't want to buy a Windows mobile phone. It should either be a Symbian or an Android phone. I was suggested to go for the Samsung B7610 in the Mobile phone adviser thread but that is a WinMob. I realised that this is the best phone in my budget right now. HTC tattoo is just a 2.8" screen which is too less.
I read a lot of ebooks. I can't carry an ebook reader with me all the time. So I need a Big screen one.

baccilus said:
I know everyone is excited about the firmware update, but still some one please answer my query too.

Sorry mate, yes was really excited about the big update :p

Anyway, touch screen accuracy and sensitivity is one of the best for a resistive touch screen, is very good and you won't have any problems navigating and using the phone. This is the best VFM phone under 15k, however if you do manage to get an android phone with a big screen in your budget, that would be a great choice too. 3.2" screen 16:9 ratio looks good and decent for reading ebooks.

ajab.ghajab said:
Ovi Suite? I guess you meant NSU? I tried that and it keeps saying my current version [v30] is the latest :(

What is your product code? Its written under the battery.

Thanks for the post. I see you changed your Product Code. How safe is it?

you can change product codes, its safe but it will void your warranty. Different codes contain different languages or branding. Therefore a person with a branded phone or someone who has bought a phone and requires there native language can change product code to gain a more suitable firmware

Back