The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

^^^
It was not available OTA till day before, however maybe now it is. It's pretty huge update around 125mb, so hope you have a good data plan.

The importance of post number 1 !!

This is a huge thread. Can someone please put all the usefull information on the first post itself. It's a little difficult to go through all the posts. I also have the following questions:

1) How can I get internet settings in my phone from Nokia rather than Vodafone (which is my connection)? It's a huge hassle to get anything through the customer care. It was pretty easy for the Sony Ericsson phone I had earlier. I can't find anything on their website.

2) How can I delete all the internet settings from my SIM card? They were for my last phone. So when I try to get it from Vodafone using the required code, it says my settings are already installed.

3) Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to install softwares on this phone.

4) Finally what are the must have applications for this phone. I especially need an ebook reader. I need Quick office too but it is paid. Is there any good free alternative?

5) How can I best convert videos in the Nokia 5800 supported format? I would like to have them in the native 640X360 resolution. Can't find anything useful on net. Have tried many applications since morning. The Avivo converter doesn't let me choose the output resolution.

Can anyone confirm if the update is available OTA ? My GPRS will charge me 200 bux as soon as i use it for this months activation so don't want to waste money if its not there :p

Re: The importance of post number 1 !!

Let me try to answer some of these.

baccilus said:
1) How can I get internet settings in my phone from Nokia rather than Vodafone (which is my connection)? It's a huge hassle to get anything through the customer care. It was pretty easy for the Sony Ericsson phone I had earlier. I can't find anything on their website.

Internet settings - I believe you are talking about GPRS - these settings can be got from the Vodafone website itself. Select your circle, then from the menu, select Services - Subscribe and settings. You have instructions that you want.

3) Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to install softwares on this phone.

Not aware of tutorials, but it is pretty simple. Most of the software is available as .sis files, which you can download from the net on to your computer. Then connect the phone to your computer, select the mode as "Mass storage", and copy the .sis file to the phone. You can then go to Applications -> File Manager, navigate to the folder where your .sis file was copied, and double tap on it. It would ask confirmation before installing.

4) Finally what are the must have applications for this phone. I especially need an ebook reader. I need Quick office too but it is paid. Is there any good free alternative?

QuickOffice is by far the best available. Cracks are available online, you might want to try them out.

5) How can I best convert videos in the Nokia 5800 supported format? I would like to have them in the native 640X360 resolution. Can't find anything useful on net. Have tried many applications since morning. The Avivo converter doesn't let me choose the output resolution.

Google and download freevideotoipodconverter [exact text], and install the same. It is fast and free.

jags1987 said:
Yep i did it:eek:hyeah:
How exactly did you do that? OTA or NSU?

I am not able to get an update using NSU or OTA and still stuck at v30.0.011.

RM 356 with product code 0575590 does not show up on Navifirm either and neither does it say about the upgrade on the nokia device update site.

Very, very curious how you updated without changing the product code..

PhOeNiX said:
Can anyone confirm if the update is available OTA ? My GPRS will charge me 200 bux as soon as i use it for this months activation so don't want to waste money if its not there :p

Yes i did it a OTA update yesterday thru Wifi... and it was only 20 MB of data or so... :clap:

Please suggest some awesome themes for my baby...

Do you think it's worth Hacking this phone? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of hacking the Nokia 5800.

And will i be able to install self signed apps on the latest firmware

baccilus said:
Do you think it's worth Hacking this phone? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of hacking the Nokia 5800.

The new firmware V40 can't be hacked till now;)

baccilus said:

The update doesn't require hacking the phone. You just need to change the product code, update firmware, and revert back to the original product code. Everything will continue to work as before.

ajab.ghajab said:
The update doesn't require hacking the phone. You just need to change the product code, update firmware, and revert back to the original product code. Everything will continue to work as before.

I meant if it would be possible to install self signed applications even after installing the latest update. My phone has already downloaded the latest firmware but I have not given it permission to install it awaiting the response to this query.

I am facing some issues after updating to v40, previously when i want to connect to web on my phone, i usually go to internet option and start browsing (using default web browser abnd through opera mobile) and it asks for how to connect WiFi, GPRS etc...

After the update, this doesnt work anymore.. i have to go to connectivity section to connect to internet then start browsing.. otherwise i get only no internet connection available error :(

Also nw nothing happens when i clicky on the IM application, simply nothing happens, icon gets highlighted and screen blinks nothing else happens... :(

Any one else facing the same issue? Any solution for this?

baccilus said:
I meant if it would be possible to install self signed applications even after installing the latest update. My phone has already downloaded the latest firmware but I have not given it permission to install it awaiting the response to this query.

Yes it works even after the update.

_pappu_ said:
NSU says, 126 mb for V40 :(

Going by your speed test results in your signature, I doubt that should be an issue :D

ajab.ghajab said:
Yes it works even after the update.

Going by your speed test results in your signature, I doubt that should be an issue :D

that was in college, now i have bsnl :(

EDIT:: after downloading the 126mb, it says insufficient battery lvl lol

paddydevil said:
i cant update via nsu or ota.. it says no newer software available. stuck on v30. any help?

where did you buy it from?

for indian version of the phone, it goes to v40.0.005

EDIT:: its right, have to do a hard reset for getting the 5530 homepage

and no, no translucent widgets for me, even with the 5530 theme :(

Can anyone suggest me a dictionary for this phone. One with talking pronunciation would be ideal, or atleast an easy pronunciation key.

Since installing Symbian softwares is such a hassle in this phone, what do you think about installing JAVA softwares? Can they be installed easily?

MaRKiV said:
I am facing some issues after updating to v40, previously when i want to connect to web on my phone, i usually go to internet option and start browsing (using default web browser abnd through opera mobile) and it asks for how to connect WiFi, GPRS etc...

After the update, this doesnt work anymore.. i have to go to connectivity section to connect to internet then start browsing.. otherwise i get only no internet connection available error :(

Also nw nothing happens when i clicky on the IM application, simply nothing happens, icon gets highlighted and screen blinks nothing else happens... :(

Any one else facing the same issue? Any solution for this?

Do a hard reset and then see if it's fine. It's always good to do a hard reset after an update, to rule out any issues that may arise.

Back