The "Everyday" show-off thread !

Nah, not available locally. Got it from sidewinders few days back. Then realised I am running low on CF3 so placed order yesterday again. And ordered MX2 big boy for routine testing and secondary PCs and for dharmshala use ( friends, relatives, people, testing hardware, and others :p )

Got a gift

IMG_1806.jpg

Shripad said:
This is probably weirdest thing someone has ever posted in this thread.

And this is not it. 5 more tubes of CF III and 1 huge 30gm tube of MX2 on its way :p
So how are u using all this, sniffing it in a plastic bag ?
How is the high ? :D
can we expect a giveaway

psyph3r said:
So how are u using all this, sniffing it in a plastic bag ?

How is the high ? :D

can we expect a giveaway
Heh, no giveaways for sure.

Tuniq and CF3 and Deepcool thermal past are the ones I use.

MX3 is laying unused. In fact other two were bought as I hated MX3. Chill factor III is soo much better and easier to use. Spreads nicely, does not dry up quickly, not too gooey, not too runny, gives great temps. MX3 is my book is expensive pile of goop that is greatly over rated thanks to the brand name. Hell I would take MX2 over MX3. MX3 is just impossible to spread, too dry and powder like. even line and dot method does not work properly on all coolers as its too thick to spread even after you press down the heatsink on the chip. Gives horrible temps if you seriously screw up the mount and you have to do it all over again.

It does tend to spread over time, and gives very good result if everything goes perfectly fine, but thats unacceptable for someone like me who just want to plug things in and bench it right away.

Articlean was a fluke. I bought it thinking its just a niche product and we dont need it over simple water and tisshe or simple alcohol + tissue. When I used it, it became very clear how effective it was leaving behind shiny IHS and heatsink base in first try. All done in couple of minutes. Dissolves TIM very easily and makes life much easier. And after that, I stocked it up :p

And all this is really needed. That CFIII is almost going to run out. That happens when you test 3 heatsinks, 5 fermi cards and 2 ATI cards in 2 months. ATI cards need very little. But big IHS of i7 and Phenom II and Fermi are goop eaters :p

blufox said:
Got 70-200 F4L IS.

img20100930192243.jpg
Woah ! Hold the presses ! What is this thing doing in the everyday showoff thread ?

This deserves its own separate thread. :D

Congrats ! Thats one sweet lens. Wish there was something like that in the Sony lens line up. :(

@M-Jeri - Its a lot fatter than that 55-250mm IS lens coz its a constant aperture lens. The 55-250mm is a variable aperture that starts at f4 but ends up at f5.6 by around 180mm. There is one full stop of light difference between the two lenses at 200mm.

If you check out the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens you will see that its even bigger coz it has a constant f2.8 aperture.

On the other hand, the Canon 70-300mm IS is almost as sharp as the 70-200mm f4 but is much smaller since it too has a variable f4-5.6 aperture.

Also as bluefox mentioned, it uses an internal focusing system so it will necessarily be thicker than a lens that extends during zooming.

Also the gauge 'thingy' is a distance scale for manual focusing and depth of field calculation. :)

So professional guys use the distance scale to set focus when using manual focusing and determine the max DOF to decide where to focus on. But on AF lenses its pretty much useless. It was used mostly in the film days where it was very much required and lenses had precise focusing rings.

Nowadays they are an afterthought and are pretty much inaccurate anyways. :(

I use them to check whats the minimum focus distance for my lens.

And a dedicated macro lens is NOT the only way to do macro. If you use a reverse 50mm lens you can get magnification ratios greater than the 1:1 ratio that a macro lens can give you. :)

@Aces - The Tamron lens is almost as sharp and the colour and build quality is almost as good as the Canon lens.

However the AF is pretty bad on that lens and people get frustrated since it hunts a lot at low light and misses focus

I think I missed posting this -

KATA DR 467 for my 3 lenses and DSLR. Can take couple more and a tripod + a laptop. very comfortable and well built. I love it :)

img20100918230437.jpg

Back