The Fitness Thread !

damn

Adept
Aug 23, 2008
Zürich, Switzerland
Re: The Fitness Thread !

If you are colossally fat, start with a whole month of cardio and simple weight training sessions. The cardio allows your heart to get used and accept the new stress levels you introduce your body to. The weight training at this point is less than useless for fat loss itself (because you most likely wont be able to finish simple sets) but helps to build up strength and prepares your previously relaxed muscles to sustain future stress. (I cannot stress enough on how important it is)

When you get into shape, find a routine (Rockfella posted one a few pages back) and build a decent bit of muscle. You'll notice that your cardio performance has improved a lot by now. At this point every single HIIT session that you do, helps lose fat.

Sprinting is the best cardio activity imo, but if you prefer something indoors, I'd suggest skipping. Other than that, increase water consumption, reduce carbs and fat, avoid sugars and salts, avoid potatos, fries, rice, eat lots of protein.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai

Bl^nK said:
Avoid carbs at night, idli sambhar won't be ideal choice for dinner in case you want to lose weight.
Can you suggest me some things which dont have carbs or very less carbs and can be taken as dinner option ??

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Squatting improves leg strength and helps the person to run much longer/safer = more fat burn. This is something which is not a popular in fancy gyms. This works very effectively! However someone who is fat and has low confidence/beginners/just starting gets heavily intimidated with squatting. People think squatting is like a very dangerous exercise and will break their back, and they have to squat 100 kgs the first day! they don't realise they have to start very very light 10/20 kgs OR EVEN BODY WEIGHT SQUATS. If you are not squatting then you are missing a lot! Whatever your goal is, adding muscle/loosing fat whatever, squatting helps in everything including SEX!
damn said:
If you are colossally fat, start with a whole month of cardio and simple weight training sessions. The cardio allows your heart to get used and accept the new stress levels you introduce your body to. The weight training at this point is less than useless for fat loss itself (because you most likely wont be able to finish simple sets) but helps to build up strength and prepares your previously relaxed muscles to sustain future stress. (I cannot stress enough on how important it is)
When you get into shape, find a routine (Rockfella posted one a few pages back) and build a decent bit of muscle. You'll notice that your cardio performance has improved a lot by now. At this point every single HIIT session that you do, helps lose fat.

Sprinting is the best cardio activity imo, but if you prefer something indoors, I'd suggest skipping. Other than that, increase water consumption, reduce carbs and fat, avoid sugars and salts, avoid potatos, fries, rice, eat lots of protein.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Bro i remember you had the same query months ago, have some light food, vegatable soup is good, you might have to choose from different foods, since you are in china.
raksrules said:
^^ Hey buddy check my query about dinner too :)

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai

Rockfella said:
Bro i remember you had the same query months ago, have some light food, vegatable soup is good, you might have to choose from different foods, since you are in china.
Buddy no longer in China :p

Have been back since last 6 months. For soup are the Knorr/Maggi soups healthy ?

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007

nukeu666 said:
If walking is a problem, try swimming or cycling
They are both non-impact activities
Swimming is a very good option here.Haven't lost weight with swimming myself(it's gotta do equally with diet) but you can makes thing tougher by timing yourself in the pool if you think swimming is not a good option. Learn the tougher styles like Butterfly and you will be gasping for breath, atleast I did recently.It sure as hell works on your upper body too.try swimming underwater, it's lot tougher due to water resistance and can be a killer workout.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

damn said:

COmbine HIIT with Burpees and you will be gasping for breath!

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Imo weight training is much easier than eating. If you eat more carbs you gain weight, if you eat very less, it is bad for the brain and results in lack of energy, we need a balanced combination of prots/carbs and even healthy fats. sometimes it gets very confusing and complicated and i wonder what to eat! Have to do a lot of experimentation on different diets.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

4 sets of deadlifts (overkill) :baby: 52.5 kgs for today is the living legend Arnold Schwarzenegger's birdthay. Guy turned 62 today i think.

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007

^ I thought you were taking it slow.How did you fare on the OHPs?

Deadlifts always make me happy.It's the OHP which makes me nervous and sometimes squats.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Yeah i guess! Increase in DLs is fastest and hence one easily gets over-confident = resulting in injury, that is why i will NEVER increase any weight more than 2.5Kgs (TOTAL) in any exercise. Howevere hehe like you i also love DLs hence end-up doing 3-4 sets of it instead of the suggested 1 along with 1 warm-up set. But will stop now as squats and OHP is getting tougher day by day. Since i started i was taking only 60-90 secs rest, today it was 120-180 secs in OHP and squat. Its getting exciting now! I can't wait to squat by body weight = 75 damn kgs! I am also thinking of slicing another pair of plates and make a pair of 625 grams for the dayam OHP!!!!
raptor3624 said:
^ I thought you were taking it slow.How did you fare on the OHPs?

Deadlifts always make me happy.It's the OHP which makes me nervous and sometimes squats.

OHP is complicated, i am still struggling with correct form. It is tricky to keep the bar exactly above the middle of the feet, i am doing high-bar olympic squat instead of the power squat.

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007

Wait.. warm up set in 5X5? I never came across that.so totally 2 sets dor Dls? The max over head press I did last year was 30 kgs I think.Then the injury got bad.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

The pdf workout doesnot mention the deadlift warm-up but Mehdi has talked about it previously. Kinda seems dangerous to deadlift insane weight without a warm-up set, hence i always warm up, only 1 set of 5-6 quick reps. I think i will stall on 40 kgs OHP next week. OHP is brutal man, but in a way is superior to the bench (i know noone will believe me)

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009

DL- warmup for me = 1set x12reps of a DL using dumbells. :) then 3/4 sets of proper DL depending upon the weight for the day.
As of noew, i have replaced the DL schedule for me to be 1 week DL with Dumbells and the other week with heavy weights at DL. Hope it increases the efficiency and amount of reps+weights. I'm stuck with a same weight since last 2-3months. :(

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

How many times do you DL in a week?
Ankur said:
DL- warmup for me = 1set x12reps of a DL using dumbells. :) then 3/4 sets of proper DL depending upon the weight for the day.
As of noew, i have replaced the DL schedule for me to be 1 week DL with Dumbells and the other week with heavy weights at DL. Hope it increases the efficiency and amount of reps+weights. I'm stuck with a same weight since last 2-3months. :(

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009

(Warmup) Dumbell 35kg each = 70kg. 1 x 12 reps

1st set - 80kg 1 x 10 reps
2nd set - 100kg 1 x 10 reps
3rd set - 120kg 1 x 8 reps
4th set - 130kg 1 x 3reps

This is what i did today. :) Have started using Lifting straps for more grip.

All on a 8 feet barbell rod. Rod weight extra.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And no more than once would be a overkill for back. I do chest/back on the same day. 4 days for power/stamina training and 3 days for Cardio/Tabata/LSC. :) Credit for Tabata=Rockfella saar :D