The Fitness Thread !

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009
Re: The Fitness Thread !

:ashamed: nahi nahi. nothing like that.waise its a compliment or a taunt? :p
btw would like to add one thing. since i started doing Tabata on your advise, i feel more stronger and feel more stamina in me. I can hold for longer than i used to. The whole credit goes to you. Thanks a ton sirjee.
n I'm not the strongest, might be the heaviest. Way more to lose off me to be fit. :S

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

^ Compliment. I personally don't know any regular gym goer who DLs 150 kgs really! People are scared of squats and DLs :baby: real scared! Some fools thinks these exercises are useless... such foolishness! Hey i will also DL 150 kgs in 6 months, i can do it much faster but i don''t want any injury this time.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Then experiemnt with low carb, high protein high fat (Omega 3) diets. Take fish-oil caps, forever, i hope you are not wasting any money in creatine and NO2 etc.
Ankur said:
:ashamed: nahi nahi. nothing like that.waise its a compliment or a taunt? :p
btw would like to add one thing. since i started doing Tabata on your advise, i feel more stronger and feel more stamina in me. I can hold for longer than i used to. The whole credit goes to you. Thanks a ton sirjee.
n I'm not the strongest, might be the heaviest. Way more to lose off me to be fit. :S

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009

All the best to achieve your goal. Will upload a video of mine DL'ing soon.:D. it took me an year to reach there. My benches are still very low compared to what they should've been. I squat really light (50-60kgs).
And i'm surrounded by some fellows in the gym who DL around 240-260kg easily. :O Really!

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Hmm... i think you should lifts should be DLs>squat>Bench>OHP. U definitey go to a serious gym as ur siggy says!

Ankur said:
All the best to achieve your goal. Will upload a video of mine DL'ing soon.:D. it took me an year to reach there. My benches are still very low compared to what they should've been. I squat really light (50-60kgs).

And i'm surrounded by some fellows in the gym who DL around 240-260kg easily. :O Really!
Ok serious suggestion. The rep range is very high for power.

Drop total sets to max 3. 1-2 warm up sets with 80/100 kgs, then a power set of max weight u can lift. All sets only 5 reps, see ur DL will jump to above 200 kgs within no time :baby: Increase only 2.5 kgs (total weight) everytime you DL! Good luck!

Ankur said:
(Warmup) Dumbell 35kg each = 70kg. 1 x 12 reps
1st set - 80kg 1 x 10 reps

2nd set - 100kg 1 x 10 reps

3rd set - 120kg 1 x 8 reps

4th set - 130kg 1 x 3reps
This is what i did today. :) Have started using Lifting straps for more grip.
All on a 8 feet barbell rod. Rod weight extra.
And no more than once would be a overkill for back. I do chest/back on the same day. 4 days for power/stamina training and 3 days for Cardio/Tabata/LSC. :) Credit for Tabata=Rockfella saar :D

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007

Rockfella said:
OHP is brutal man, but in a way is superior to the bench (i know noone will believe me)
Ah.. I will do the warm too but may be after a month or so.I believe you when you say OHP is brutal.Could be the most nrutal actually.But squats make the whole body work, toe to neck.I think they are superior.

Started 5X5 yday after almost an year.Damned DOMS!!! my thighs and muscles below my biceps are jacked up.
May be some tabata burpees today and definitely some stretches.

universal

Adept
Oct 8, 2007

going to start 5x5 (stronglifts) from today...i always wanna give a try to this program...lets see how it goes...:)

just wanna know that if i can replace inverted rows with barbell rows ??

pradeep200417

Shunya
Adept
Apr 12, 2009
Mangalore

Hi Guys!!!

Just joined the Gym on Sunday. had my very first cardio session.

The trainer told me that i would not be lifting weights initially, as my body needs to be conditioned.

He said cardio for 1 week initially. The sessions lasts for 50 mins. The ellipticals are pretty nice

The part i don't like is where i need to wait for the other guy to finish his routine on the machine, so that it gets free and i can take over.

udayrulz

Adept
Jan 13, 2008
London

Ankur said:
(Warmup) Dumbell 35kg each = 70kg. 1 x 12 reps

1st set - 80kg 1 x 10 reps

2nd set - 100kg 1 x 10 reps

3rd set - 120kg 1 x 8 reps

4th set - 130kg 1 x 3reps

This is what i did today. :) Have started using Lifting straps for more grip.

All on a 8 feet barbell rod. Rod weight extra.

And no more than once would be a overkill for back. I do chest/back on the same day. 4 days for power/stamina training and 3 days for Cardio/Tabata/LSC. :) Credit for Tabata=Rockfella saar :D

What exercise did you do with those weights ? , Ok nevermind .. the Dead Lift .. What about chest press ? How much can you manage .. ?

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007

pradeep200417 said:
The part i don't like is where i need to wait for the other guy to finish his routine on the machine, so that it gets free and i can take over.
precisely why I dont go to gyms.More often than not, the spotter is usually your workout buddy.When you are done and take rest,he works out.That increases your rest period when not necessary and lowers the intensity required.And we cant afford personal trainers.

G33kgod

Adept
Jun 10, 2009

pradeep200417 said:
Hi Guys!!!

Just joined the Gym on Sunday. had my very first cardio session.

The trainer told me that i would not be lifting weights initially, as my body needs to be conditioned.

He said cardio for 1 week initially. The sessions lasts for 50 mins. The ellipticals are pretty nice

yup do some cardio n then switch to free weight excercises pushups , chinups n parallel bar etc. after that you are gud to go :)

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Squats rule thatswhy squats is 3 times a week, OHP is tough, numbers don't increase fast in OHP and it makes me nervous. I'd say do only SLs for a month along with long steady cardio post workout for only 15 minutes. Add a minute in every session. Stay away from extreme stuff like tabata initially!
raptor3624 said:
Ah.. I will do the warm too but may be after a month or so.I believe you when you say OHP is brutal.Could be the most nrutal actually.But squats make the whole body work, toe to neck.I think they are superior.
Started 5X5 yday after almost an year.Damned DOMS!!! my thighs and muscles below my biceps are jacked up. May be some tabata burpees today and definitely some stretches.
You can do anything u like, but inverted rows is suggested. If you want a yes/no answer then it will be a NO. DON'T DO BENT OVER ROWS! DO INVERTED ROWS.
universal said:
going to start 5x5 (stronglifts) from today...i always wanna give a try to this program...lets see how it goes...:) just wanna know that if i can replace inverted rows with barbell rows ??
Your trainer wants to conditioned you in a week?? Hit the weights from day 1. Use the treadmill, screw the ellipticals, don't fall for fancy "nice" things!
pradeep200417 said:
Hi Guys!!!
Just joined the Gym on Sunday. had my very first cardio session. The trainer told me that i would not be lifting weights initially, as my body needs to be conditioned. He said cardio for 1 week initially. The sessions lasts for 50 mins. The ellipticals are pretty nice. The part i don't like is where i need to wait for the other guy to finish his routine on the machine, so that it gets free and i can take over.
We are our own personal trainers because we are geeks who have access to the best info about everything as we love the world wide web ;)
raptor3624 said:
precisely why I dont go to gyms.More often than not, the spotter is usually your workout buddy.When you are done and take rest,he works out.That increases your rest period when not necessary and lowers the intensity required.And we cant afford personal trainers.
Cardio is last priority, OVER-RATED TOO!
G33kgod said:
yup do some cardio n then switch to free weight excercises pushups , chinups n parallel bar etc. after that you are gud to go :)

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009

Ok serious suggestion. The rep range is very high for power.
Drop total sets to max 3. 1-2 warm up sets with 80/100 kgs, then a power set of max weight u can lift. All sets only 5 reps, see ur DL will jump to above 200 kgs within no time :baby: Increase only 2.5 kgs (total weight) everytime you DL! Good luck!
Ok. Will surely give it a shot, and will schedule it accordingly for the next 45 days and will get back to you on this. I tend to focus more on reps rather than weights.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

For power rep range should be lower. Dude you should sriously eat carbs post workout only and focus more on cardio. No future of power lifters in India. Start having fish oils ASAP! Find some with maximum DHA. Carlson/ExtendLife/Nordic naturals are good ones. High reps won't burn your fat yaar, thats all myth! Nordic naturals Ultimate Omega will be avl in Delhi after october.
Ankur said:
Ok. Will surely give it a shot, and will schedule it accordingly for the next 45 days and will get back to you on this. I tend to focus more on reps rather than weights.

Ankur

Adept
Sep 29, 2009

udayrulz said:
What exercise did you do with those weights ? , Ok nevermind .. the Dead Lift .. What about chest press ? How much can you manage .. ?
Yes, thats for DeadLift.
Flat benches have been moderate for me in the term of weights. I dont tend to lift heavy weights, again giving more focus on reps. But once, two weeks back i tried a power set to see the max i can lift for 1 set, it was 110kgs for a single set 1 rep (rod weight extra). I normally go 70-75kgs for 10-12reps with 3or4 sets.
I seriously dont like lifting heavy weights.

Rockfella said:
For power rep range should be lower. Dude you should sriously eat carbs post workout only and focus more on cardio. No future of power lifters in India.
Hmmm, a point that makes sense. Regarding, the rep thing. I'll keep it in mind. And i'd be going on a moderate-carb P40-C35-F25 diet from Sept 1st week. This complete month, will be a dry one for me. Complete rest, will be hitting gym only twice a week for everything..

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Read about "Zone diet"
Ankur said:
Yes, thats for DeadLift. Flat benches have been moderate for me in the term of weights. I dont tend to lift heavy weights, again giving more focus on reps. But once, two weeks back i tried a power set to see the max i can lift for 1 set, it was 110kgs for a single set 1 rep (rod weight extra). I normally go 70-75kgs for 10-12reps with 3or4 sets.I seriously dont like lifting heavy weights. Hmmm, a point that makes sense. Regarding, the rep thing. I'll keep it in mind. And i'd be going on a moderate-carb P40-C35-F25 diet from Sept 1st week. This complete month, will be a dry one for me. Complete rest, will be hitting gym only twice a week for everything..

udayrulz

Adept
Jan 13, 2008
London

Ankur said:
Yes, thats for DeadLift.

Flat benches have been moderate for me in the term of weights. I dont tend to lift heavy weights, again giving more focus on reps. But once, two weeks back i tried a power set to see the max i can lift for 1 set, it was 110kgs for a single set 1 rep (rod weight extra). I normally go 70-75kgs for 10-12reps with 3or4 sets.

I seriously dont like lifting heavy weights.

Hmmm, a point that makes sense. Regarding, the rep thing. I'll keep it in mind. And i'd be going on a moderate-carb P40-C35-F25 diet from Sept 1st week. This complete month, will be a dry one for me. Complete rest, will be hitting gym only twice a week for everything..

Wow , that's mighty impressive . Max I have managed is 75KG + Rod weight for 3 reps . What's your height n weight ?

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Your bench is good too! 75 Kgs is not easy. Max i've done is 80 kgs years ago!
udayrulz said:
Wow , that's mighty impressive . Max I have managed is 75KG + Rod weight for 3 reps . What's your height n weight ?