The Fitness Thread !

raptor3624

Adept
Sep 23, 2007
Re: The Fitness Thread !

even I dont have a professional trainer.The 'professional trainers' in the gyms around in my locality ask "you want to work on thighs a lot?" when I asked them for a power rack or squat rack?

pradeep200417

Shunya
Adept
Apr 12, 2009
Mangalore

raptor3624 said:
even I dont have a professional trainer.The 'professional trainers' in the gyms around in my locality ask "you want to work on thighs a lot?" when I asked them for a power rack or squat rack?
He He He. That was funny.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Rockfella said:
Reading good reputed books on PDF, referring to good online videos and starting very light.
Ok. Will try to do that. Thanks for the tip.
Could you share some PDFs please?
Wish i could rep you. :)

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

The one i met said "power lifter banna chante ho?" and also "Jab main cardio karta hu meri chest khatam ho jati hain" ROTFL!

raptor3624 said:
All here:

StrongLifts.com
pradeep200417 said:
He He He. That was funny.
Ok. Will try to do that. Thanks for the tip. Could you share some PDFs please? Wish i could rep you. :)
Laid off for a week, feeling very drained out and tired :baby: i ued to get this feeling after 3 months of high volume 6 days a week training! Rest is good, i am not afraid of lay offs :clap:

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

None at this time, i have heard good things about Syntha 6 and Dymatize whey, very negative things about ON despite its popularity in the US. I can't say anything for sure as i have never read extensively about whey brands only word of mouth. Most of the supplements are not regulated by FDA so one needs to be very sure what we buy. I remember reading about your food intake, it was very good. Add fish oils for omega 3s in your diet and don't stop having whey post workout. Bombard your body with high quality omega 3s for the next 6 months or so. TE member raptor is eating flax seeds with oats in post workout. Damn smart of him to get omega 3s cheaply as this is something that we would need forever. If you can afford fishoils forever go with it or else buy flax seeds or flax seeds oil (Called Alsi ka tel) in North india. WIki for more info.
Saiyan said:
^Which Whey protein brand are you using btw ?

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Aug 19, 2005
Texel, the Netherlands
www.techenclave.com

^I am using Myofusion atm. But not much, i prefer taking from natural source. Eating close to 4~5 eggs including the yellow. But finding hard to gain weight, but when it comes to strength i am going forward in that regards.

btw, even i decided to go with either Syntha 6 or Dymatize.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

I don't mean Myofusion is bad, i would say don't expect super results with syntha 6/dymatize either. To gain muscular weight and keep bodyfat low you have to train for strength at all costs! Don't worry about things like pump/sweat etc. If you are gaininling strength you will get bigger, how slow/fast depends on what you eat/train/sleep/genes etc :baby:
Saiyan said:
^I am using Myofusion atm. But not much, i prefer taking from natural source. Eating close to 4~5 eggs including the yellow. But finding hard to gain weight, but when it comes to strength i am going forward in that regards.

btw, even i decided to go with either Syntha 6 or Dymatize.

damn

Adept
Aug 23, 2008
Zürich, Switzerland

I have a five pound jar here, it has the logo.

I have the chocolate flavor, I've been drinking it with a looot of nescafe and no sugar. Any alternatives?

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009

m-jeri said:
@raptor..

sweet post mate... very useful.. care to expand the list???..

@rocky...

long time mate... :D...
abt the more reps.. and low eights.. today i was doing shoulder + legs.
Heavy on shoulder.. so for light leg training i did some leg extension. my usual weights are 40~45 Kg. and abt 10*2 or 3 reps if possible.
My trainer today said dont puck weight beyond 20.. just keep the rep count to 15*5 or something like that. thoughts?

and on biceps and triceps...

Same thing. For biceps use less weight and more reps. for triceps more weight and less reps. I need to get some shape on my arms. :S.
if that makes any sense. thoughts?
Makes sense

m-jeri said:
@Guy who lifts 110 for bench..
I suppose it is pounds and not free weight. if its not free weight anyone can. I remember doing bench press at 180 pounds when i was weighted 68 Kgs @height 6.1ft i.e this was when i had recently enrolled to gym with not much body strength:ashamed:
now i m 94 Kgs @6.2 ft :eek:hyeah:
Since you are high on weight the idea is to lose the fat mass of your body by doing more repetitions.
my observation for better results on fat burn do your sets of repetitions with decrementing weights with each sets.
m-jeri said:
awesome mate.... MAx i manage is 60kg + rod weight .. :S...

very awesome..

ps. i am 5' 11" and 100 kg... :S...
avoid mentioning rod weight they are negligible in front of the pay load. :bleh:

Happy Singh said:
Tried this also..but no result:(
if you are too hooked up to your workout. take a months break.
from what i've read it seems your body metabolism rate is high. try to include cheese in your diet if you want to increase your weight.
eating a small cubicle will help
also try adding soya to wheat when preparing wheat flour. it is natural source of proteins in your body which might be lacking .

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

Stickers and logos are not really trustworthy imo! Will check and get back to you on this one. Any reason why you have it with a looot of nescafe?????????????
damn said:
I have a five pound jar here, it has the logo. I have the chocolate flavor, I've been drinking it with a looot of nescafe and no sugar. Any alternatives?
The myth of loosing fat by doing loads or reps is bullcrap. Don't do 100 reps thinking you will loose fat from that area or anywhere, if might work for some time if you are lucky but is not really an effective way to loose fat. The thing you mentioned about resting for a month/15 days is good.
ggt said:
Since you are high on weight the idea is to lose the fat mass of your body by doing more repetitions. My observation for better results on fat burn do your sets of repetitions with decrementing weights with each sets. Avoid mentioning rod weight they are negligible in front of the pay load. :bleh: If you are too hooked up to your workout. take a months break.
from what i've read it seems your body metabolism rate is high. Try to include cheese in your diet if you want to increase your weight. Eating a small cubicle will help. Also try adding soya to wheat when preparing wheat flour. it is natural source of proteins in your body which might be lacking .

damn

Adept
Aug 23, 2008
Zürich, Switzerland

Rockfella said:
Any reason why you have it with a looot of nescafe post workout ??
Tastes great with coffee. Its one of the few things that is satisfying while being on a strict diet. So I was curious if anyone else takes it differently. Post workout because from whatever research I did on google and related forums, I figured that best absorption is after a brief interval(15mins) after the workout. Did I mess up? ;~;

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Mar 18, 2007
Gurgaon/NCR.

30 mins post workout cooldown is best is what i have read. My question was WHY the cofee after workout?

damn said:
Tastes great with coffee. Its one of the few things that is satisfying while being on a strict diet. So I was curious if anyone else takes it differently. Post workout because from whatever research I did on google and related forums, I figured that best absorption is after a brief interval(15mins) after the workout. Did I mess up? ;~;

Some very good tips on eating healthy. (Sorry guys the post has been copy pasted from a non-indian site. Stuff like tune etc are expensive here so people on budget like me can ignore that, will update with good things later. Please free free to add your tried and tested tips, not theories! The sentences in brackets are added by me)

Eating healthy:

Lowers disease risks!

Increases productivity!

Gives you more energy!

Makes you stronger!
You probably think eating healthy is expensive. I’ll be honest — it is. But there are tricks to keep it low cost. Here are sixteen ways to eat more healthy while keeping it cheap.
What is Healthy Food? Before we start, let’s define healthy food. It consists of:
Protein. The building blocks of muscles, needed for strength.

Fat. A balanced intake of omega 3, 6 & 9.

Veggies. All kinds, especially green fibrous veggies.

Fruit. Full of vitamins.

Water. 1 liter per 1000 calories you expend.

Whole grain food. Oats, rice, pasta, breads, …

On with the tips.
1. Switch to Water. I drank huge amounts of soda daily for more than 15 years. Then I started Strength Training and switched to water:

It’s healthier!

It’s cheaper!

Quit the soda & drink water. Take a bottle wherever you go.
2. Consume Tap Water. Check the price of water on your tap water bill. Now check the price of bottled water. Quit a difference, isn’t it? So why are you buying bottled water?

Cleaner? Not necessarily.

Better taste? No, simply a matter of Adaptation.

Bottled water companies get their supply from the same source you do: municipal water systems. It’s like selling ice to Eskimos. If you don’t trust the quality of tap water, filter it yourself. I use a Brita Pitcher. One $7 filter cleans 40 gallons water.
3. Eat Eggs. I always have eggs at breakfast:

Full of vitamins!

High in proteins!

Low in price!

Don’t believe the Eggs & Cholesterol myth. Dietary cholesterol is not bound to blood cholesterol. (I eat whole eggs ALL THE F***ING TIME! 7-12 EGGS A DAY!) Want to make it cheaper? Buy a chicken.
4. Eat Fatty Meats. Fatty meats are cheaper & more tasty than lean meats. You think it’s not healthy? Check the Fat Myths:
Fat doesn’t make you fat, excess calories do!

You need a balanced intake of fats: omega 3, 6 & 9

I’m on the Anabolic Diet, I buy beef chuck instead of sirloin.
5. Get Whey. The cheapest source of protein. 70$ for a 10lbs bag lasting 4 months. Nothing beats that. Use whey in your Post Workout Shake to help recovery. (Unfortunately in India this is not true, just like electronics everything is expensive in the dumping ground of the world: INDIA!)
6. Tuna Cans. Canned tuna is cheap & contains as much protein as meat. Alternate tuna with eggs, meat & whey. You’ll easily get to your daily amount of protein.(AFAIK canned tuna is expensive here! :()
7. Buy Frozen Veggies. I mostly buy frozen veggies:
Take less time to prepare!

You don’t waste money if not eaten in time!

Can be bought in bulk for discounts & stored in your freezer!

If you can afford fresh veggies, then do it. I go frozen!
8. Use a Multivitamin. Pesticides lower the vitamin levels of your fruits & veggies. Two solutions:

Buy organic food. Expensive.

Use a multivitamin. $10 a month. (I use supradyne, even if you double the daily dosage it will cost Rs. 80 per month!)

Choose what fits your wallet best. I take the multivitamin. (So do i with triphala/liv 52 and celinc vitamin C tabs)
9. Fish Oil. Omega-3 is found in fish oil. Benefits of omega-3 consumption include:

Lowered cholesterol levels!

Decreased body fat!

Reduced inflammation!

You need to eat fatty fish 3 times a week to get these benefits. Time consuming & expensive, I know. Try Carlson’s Liquid Fish Oil with Lemon flavor. One teaspoon daily. You’ll be ok.

(Amway fishoil is crappy with only 120 mgs of DHA in a tab. Vitamin shoppe has good one. You can buy carlson through global ebay!!! Flameout inflammation scavenger is a damn good one!!! More DHA than EPA in each capsule!! Availiblity is a problem for us Indians here :mad:)
10. Buy Generic Food. The box might be less attractive, it’s certainly more attractive to your wallet. Brand-name food will always be more expensive. You’re paying for the name. Get real. Food is food. Go generic.
11. Buy in Bulk. Think long-term. Buying in bulk is more expensive at the cashier, but cheaper in the long run:
Gets you discounts!

Saves time!

Saves car fuel!

Invest in a big freezer. Buy meats & veggies in bulk and freeze them!
12. Go to One Grocery Store. This grocery store is cheaper for meat, that grocery store is cheaper for veggies, the other grocery store is cheaper for fish… How many grocery stores are you going to, trying to find the cheapest food? Think!!
Time is money. Stop losing a day shopping!

Cars don’t run on water. Lower your fuel expenses!

I get all my food in a big grocery store near my place. It hasn’t the cheapest price for all foods, but it saves me time & fuel! (I do the same damn thing!!!!:D)
13. Make a Plan. A classic, but worth repeating. Everything starts with a plan.
Make a list of what you need!

Eat a solid meal, don’t go hungry!

Go the grocery, get what’s on your list & get out!

No need to take your partner or kids with you. This is not a recreational activity. (This is a damn good one and makes absolute sense!!! :lol:) Just get your food & get back home!
14. Take Food To Work. Ever counted how much money you throw away buying food at work daily? Start preparing your food for the day on waking up! (I carry food to work, seldom buy any shit from cafeteria, got a big tupperware one!)
Get up earlier!

Eat a solid breakfast (like Scrambled Eggs)!

Prepare your food for work in the meanwhile!

Total time 30 minutes. No stress during the day about what you’ll be eating & you get healthy food while sparing money.
15. Eat Less. This one is obvious. The less you eat, the lower your grocery bill. If you’re overweight, get on a diet. Your health & bank account will thank you!
16. Don’t Buy Junk Food. The last one. Stop buying anything that comes out of a box, it’s:

Unhealthy!

Expensive!

If you actually find junk food that is cheaper than whole food, think long-term. Health implications.
- Mehdi is author of StrongLifts.com, a blog about Strength Training, nutrition, lifestyle & attitude. His articles include the Anabolic Diet & the Beginner Strength Training Program. Join him at StrongLifts.com for the fascinating journey toward more strength, bigger muscles, low body fat & a better health.

ragzdiablo

Skilled
Sep 26, 2008

Guys need some advice on how to put on some weight...

im 6'2''..but weight only 60kgs..and very thin...

ive tried gymming, eatin loads of bananas,eggs,non-veg..nothing seems to help...

ill be honest...my appetite is more than a normal persons....but i just cant put on!..

any advice,suggestions?

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009

ragzdiablo said:
Guys need some advice on how to put on some weight...
im 6'2''..but weight only 60kgs..and very thin...
ive tried gymming, eatin loads of bananas,eggs,non-veg..nothing seems to help...
ill be honest...my appetite is more than a normal persons....but i just cant put on!..

any advice,suggestions?
Do not worry.
You are still growing up. All that you eat is and will benefit you. It is only after 20 that you may see your body develop. .:p ;-)
Just continue your workout sessions. If you feel the workout has become monotonous try changing the workout regime.
BTW how long have you been working out. Do not expect miracles in just one month or even 3 months. workout has to be a part of your routine for you to notice the difference.