The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

Your engine rusting now, do some daily stretches :) Even if you don't exercise keep on having "alsi".

raptor3624 said:
Any of you guys who ahve been strength training and are taking a break due to injury, laziness etc have lower back problems?

It's been 3 months since I stopped working out, basially lifting heavy weights with my hips.I am facing quite a bit of pain in my lower back just after standing 30 mins in a meeting.

Rockafella... buddy.. any idea?
Massage it with oil.

amitjakhar said:
Hi all

I have been facing some problem with my knee. After running like 1.5-2 Km or walking after 10kms I start having severe pain in my right knee. Got it checked doctor took x-ray and said all fine there is no problem. Have lots of water and liquid and you will be fine. But It does not seem to go away. And after sitting at a place for long time when I get up I get knocking sound too from my knees. What could be the problem any idea? Please advice.

Thanks
I think you need to do some serious stretching.

anubhav2345 said:
Amit !! Same problem here . Though i am a regular gymmer . But still after sitting for long hours , i hear that "klick" sound from right knee :(

Showed to doc , he said all fine ! Just do some leg stretchings . I did for few days , but dint worked .

Junk!

dragonball said:
My Workout Routine:

Time: 3days a week & 1.5hrs per day.

Exercise Names (AxB = A sets, B repetitions) taken from: #1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides!:

Weights used: 5kg in set1, 6.5kg in set2, 8kg in set3

Day 1:

Biceps - Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 3X15, Alternate Hammer Curl 2x5

Triceps - Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Triceps Extension 3X15

Abs - Air Bicycle 2x7, Crunches 3x10, Cross-Body Crunch 2x20

Forearms - Seated Palm-Up Dumbbell Wrist Curl 2x15

Day 2:

Chest - Dumbbell Flyes 3x10, Pushups 2x15

Day 3:

Shoulder - Arnold Dumbbell Press 3x15, Shoulder Press 3x15, Side Lateral Raise 2x15

Food: 2 eggs + 3glass milk per day, apart from it i have normal green veggies in lunch, dinner, breakfast.

I think my exercises and food are not enough to trigger muscle growth anymore. Please advice me accordingly what exercises should i include more and should i take supplements? I gym at home and i have only dumbbells to use.

dragonball said:
My Workout Routine:

Exercise Names (AxB = A sets, B repetitions) taken from: #1 Exercises Guide! Over 300+ Free Exercise Videos And Guides!:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Shoulder - Arnold Dumbbell Press 3x15, Shoulder Press 3x15, Side Lateral Raise 2x15

Food: 2 eggs + 3glass milk per day, apart from it i have normal green veggies in lunch, dinner, breakfast.

I think my exercises and food are not enough to trigger muscle growth anymore. Please advice me accordingly what exercises should i include more and should i take supplements? I gym at home and i have only dumbbells to use.
Your workout has nothing for lower body. Human body loves symmetry. You won't see any muscle growth besides initial strengths with that kind of a routine. I'd suggest joining a gym.

Also it shouldn't take 1.5 hours for those. ;~;

@damn: actually i forgot to mention, i also do back exercises twice a week and thighs/calf stretches thrice a week. What should i include to trigger muscle growth (specially for biceps, chest, shoulder areas)

@rockfella: what do you mean?

Guys, how much will a pair of dumbells cost ? 10kg ones.Not particular about the brand. Don't need any high end ones , as everything weighs the same :p

dragonball said:
My Workout Routine:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

If u want muscle ur daily protein intake shud be 125Gms - 150Gms , carbs shud be 300Gms - 450Gms & fat should be with in 80Gms in that 50Gms should be EFA- essential fatty acids !

Try to add some more weights ! If u r grown up hit the Gym !

check ur food Nutrition Data here ! Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

protein will not suffice by normal food intake , so if u need u can take PURE WHEY PROTEIN its No harm in that , for Some whey protein will work & some it wont so there are other types of protein - better try whey first !

2Glass of milk is enough & take 5 Egg whites & 2 complete eggs !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

abhaybhegde said:
Guys, how much will a pair of dumbells cost ? 10kg ones.Not particular about the brand. Don't need any high end ones , as everything weighs the same :p

get the dumbell rod separately & weight rounds separate ! will cost u less u can increase or decrease in weights wen ever u need !

You forgot to mention back and leg exercises, this proves people are ignorant of the fact that "you are as strong as your weakest link". In human body the most ignored "link" is the lower back. I also mean your regime is 100% crap. It will give you measly strength/muscle gains after long hours in the gym and the results will probably stop after some months. I can't type here much, can advice you to follow 5 x 5 for 3 months. Once you do it you will have your own opinion and would not need mine :)

dragonball said:
@damn: actually i forgot to mention, i also do back exercises twice a week and thighs/calf stretches thrice a week. What should i include to trigger muscle growth (specially for biceps, chest, shoulder areas)

@rockfella: what do you mean?
Hey Ahbay! how are you? No use buying 10kg dumbells, the concept of getting strong/muscular is "Progressive Resistance Training" which simply means that after some time your arms will get strong enough to lift 10 kg dumbells for lets say 10 times, then you would need 12kg dumbells to trigger more growth/muscle then 15kg and so on... how many pairs will you buy?

Solution: Join a gym.

Best Solution: Buy a home gym = one time investment.

abhaybhegde said:

dragonball said:
Stretches are less than useless. =p

Dips are awesome for shoulders. Push ups and Pull ups are nice too. But I doubt they'll help you a whole lot if you are not doing compound exercises. Dumbells worked for a few people I know but even then you won't see results if you don't press higher weights eventually.

Streches and warm-up help a lot bro, specially in cold weather, can't rule them out. Warm-ups/hip mobility/glute activation exercises are a must do before heavy compound lifts :). Push ups are very good for shoulder health/core/shoulders/chest/triceps/overall upper body power. No real world use doing more than 15 in one set, once one can do 15 switch to weighted ones. Keep a weight plate (Start with 2.5kgs on upper back) and increase reps. Same with all bodyweight exercises. From last workout i started weighted versions of all BW exercises. In a bag i put 5kg plate and did pull-ups 6/5,5,4. i overestimated my strength and will switch to 2.5kgs now hehe.

Dips are even better, harder and more effective, infact heavy dips help increase overheadpress. Just a month ago i was struggling with 40 kgs on ohp, 40 felt like a mountain/37.5 felt easy, now i am attempting 45 but yet to reach 5x5 for it. OHP is the most difficult exercise imo. A 2.5kg increase feels like a 10kg increase but in some ways it is superior than the bench press and i love/hate ohp.

damn said:
Stretches are less than useless.

Dips are awesome for shoulders. Push ups and Pull ups are nice too. But I doubt they'll help you a whole lot if you are not doing compound exercises. Dumbells worked for a few people I know but even then you won't see results if you don't press higher weights eventually.

Rockfella said:
I can't type here much, can advice you to follow 5 x 5 for 3 months. Once you do it you will have your own opinion and would not need mine :)

Hi, by 5x5 u mean 5sets of 5reps each with progressive weight increase? Will it work?
If my routine is 100% crap, you should give atleast some improvement suggestions. :)

5 sets and 5 reps and there are specific exercises done in a specific order in specific ways. Been ranting/chanting about it since the start of this thread, noone believes in it, but this is imaginable as fitness magazines have brainwashed entire world into doing split routines 6 days a week. I am giving you "the fitness mantra' of your life on christmas :)

Strength Training FAQ: Click Here First | StrongLifts Community

Just read each and everyword and follow it. See your strength going up rapidly, if u eat well you will pack on muscles fast, even if you eat crap you will experience rapid "newbie' gains. Just do it, don't listen to your trainer/friends/magazines/whatever.

Goodluck!

Vivek.

dragonball said:
Hi, by 5x5 u mean 5sets of 5reps each with progressive weight increase? Will it work?

If my routine is 100% crap, you should give atleast some improvement suggestions. :)

Been on 5x5 since a year, started with 3x5 Rippetoe's workout though. Follow what Rockfella suggests, you'll progress slowly, but after a few months of training you'll be addicted to it. Right now I'm off workout for over a month, have lost the motivation I had, will start off again soon hopefully with 3x5 and will move on to 5x5 after I hit a plateau :)

I am having sharp chest pain in upper central chest region after my biceps/triceps (or was it due to abs crunch) workout. Why is it happening? Am i lifting too much biceps?

I am looking for a pair of dumbells.The ones where we can change the weight disc on each side. I enquired in proline fitness shop and found out that it cost about 100rs per kg for the disc and 200rs for the rod. Is this ok ?? Should be looking at some other place for cheaper dumbells.Also I was looking for Power Tower but cudnt locate one... has anyone tried that.

You probably progressed slowly because u might be learning technique, progress with 5x5 is fastest/alsmot rapid in the first 3 montsh provided we add weight everyworkout and technique is good.

blkrb0t said:
Been on 5x5 since a year, started with 3x5 Rippetoe's workout though. Follow what Rockfella suggests, you'll progress slowly, but after a few months of training you'll be addicted to it. Right now I'm off workout for over a month, have lost the motivation I had, will start off again soon hopefully with 3x5 and will move on to 5x5 after I hit a plateau :)
You are wasting money on dumbells.

agm_105 said:
I am looking for a pair of dumbells.The ones where we can change the weight disc on each side. I enquired in proline fitness shop and found out that it cost about 100rs per kg for the disc and 200rs for the rod. Is this ok ?? Should be looking at some other place for cheaper dumbells.Also I was looking for Power Tower but cudnt locate one... has anyone tried that.

Rockfella said:
You probably progressed slowly because u might be learning technique, progress with 5x5 is fastest/alsmot rapid in the first 3 montsh provided we add weight everyworkout and technique is good.
I had rapid gains in the beginning, when I started 2 years back that is. My squat PR for 5x5 is 115kg at 70kg BW, though I have lost quite a strength the past month with not having any workouts. What is your PR is the big 3? I will start with 3x5 next month, exams this month :(

Underwent laser surgeries for my eye since November. So was out action for almost 50 days. Start hitting the gym from last week. Have lost a quite an amount of strength due to the physical inactivity and complete bed rest for 10 days. Hope to get back to the previous form in a month.

One thing very important, "newbie gains" like you had when you started 2 years ago seldom happens again when we start out after a gap, though there is something called "muscle memory" which will help you to regain the lost strength faster. for e.g.: it is easier to get back to err let’s say 100 kg squat if you stop working out after reaching a 100kg PR but going from 100 to 120 will be harder.. .. Getting "new" strength is harder. I was able to squat 100 kgs for 3 reps 15 days ago... don’t know my 1 rep max, these days I am stuck with 80 kgs for 5x5 squat, bench 57.5kg (I workout at home, no spotter, bench is a headache for me along with my deep fear of all pushing moves due to an old shoulder injury) Ohp 45kgs, DL 115 kgs ... though I DL only 95 kgs, I don't have more weights (have to buy 50kgs more) so I have to DL 95kgs which I have been doing since September. Have moved on to weighted body weight exercises as well. Started 5x5 in July this year, no workout almost entire November, below average diet.

Since you have exams do 3x5 this month and 5x5 when exams are over. I'll suggest you to milk out 5x5 as long as you can, don't switch to 3x5 just because you feel like. Switch to 3x5 on the lifts on which you stall 2-3 times and continue with 5x5 on the ones which go fine for you. Just me 10 cents.

blkrb0t said:
I had rapid gains in the beginning, when I started 2 years back that is. My squat PR for 5x5 is 115kg at 70kg BW, though I have lost quite a strength the past month with not having any workouts. What is your PR is the big 3? I will start with 3x5 next month, exams this month :(
No worries. muscle memory ftw!

Saiyan said:
Underwent laser surgeries for my eye since November. So was out action for almost 50 days. Start hitting the gym from last week. Have lost a quite an amount of strength due to the physical inactivity and complete bed rest for 10 days. Hope to get back to the previous form in a month.

It seems it is impossible for me to control hunger @ night. After 8:00 I tend to eat lot of food. I eat correctly for the whole day except during the night times, which spoils everything.

Is there any solution to this

How would one create calorie deficit effectively?If I eat food anything less than I am eating right now(which is not much.. it's about at maintenancelevel I believe), I dont think I can handle it.
For example, if I eat less food during dinner.I get hungry by 11 and cannot go to sleep.
Last night I ate only 2 chapatis with sabzi and protein shake, I woke up damn hungry at 5 in the morning.

I understand vaguely that calorie deficit is more of eating less calorie content food.say reduce by 500 cals.But it is so damn hard.

Back