The Fitness Thread !

Need Help to gain weight (total newbie)
Am 19 and my current weight is around 55kgs & Current height 5'11"
Currently Too Skinny
any advice about diet? should i join gym?

started Gym for weight loss... i am 25% excess more than my permissible limit..:(

i am doing good amount of workout in Gym, but unable to control my appetite and having more food..

My GYM coordinator told me that we have to control food intake also along with workout to get better result and he suggested Protein Shakes will help in this regard..

I include all vegetables and fruits in my diet...problem is i am having more because of more hunger...

is taking protein shake is good option before me? Have very li'l knowledge in Gym..

started Gym for weight loss... i am 25% excess more than my permissible limit..:(

i am doing good amount of workout in Gym, but unable to control my appetite and having more food..

My GYM coordinator told me that we have to control food intake also along with workout to get better result and he suggested Protein Shakes will help in this regard..

I include all vegetables and fruits in my diet...problem is i am having more because of more hunger...

is taking protein shake is good option before me? Have very li'l knowledge in Gym..

You can't lose weight without controlling what you eat. Weight loss is 70% diet control. Protein shakes aren't necessary but they do help getting your protein in your diet up. Why should you keep your protein up? If youre working at fat loss, you end up losing some muscle mass as well. If you keep your protein up you will retain a good portion of muscle.

What are you eating currently other than the fruits and veggies? Are you eating eggs? Egg whites? Skimmed milk? Lean meat? If not try incorporating some of these in youre diet. They are high and protein and will also make youre stomach feel fuller for longer.

How many kilos do you need to lose? If its something drastic I'd say limit the amount of fruits youre eating too. An apple or an orange a day is ok but don't eat more. Fruits are full of carbs and sugars. In the long term fruits are great for youre health but in the short term theyre terrible for weight loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Need Help to gain weight (total newbie)
Am 19 and my current weight is around 55kgs & Current height 5'11"
Currently Too Skinny
any advice about diet? should i join gym?

Gaining weight is much easier than losing it. Eat lots and lots of protein and a good amount of fat and go lift some heavy weights.

You can't lose weight without controlling what you eat. Weight loss is 70% diet control. Protein shakes aren't necessary but they do help getting your protein in your diet up. Why should you keep your protein up? If youre working at fat loss, you end up losing some muscle mass as well. If you keep your protein up you will retain a good portion of muscle.

What are you eating currently other than the fruits and veggies? Are you eating eggs? Egg whites? Skimmed milk? Lean meat? If not try incorporating some of these in youre diet. They are high and protein and will also make youre stomach feel fuller for longer.

How many kilos do you need to lose? If its something drastic I'd say limit the amount of fruits youre eating too. An apple or an orange a day is ok but don't eat more. Fruits are full of carbs and sugars. In the long term fruits are great for youre health but in the short term theyre terrible for weight loss.

Thanks for your suggestion..

i need to loose 15kilos..and i am vegetarian...My diet includes, roti's and Rice.

my gym fellow told me that protein shakes reduce the appetite for eating along with providing necessary protein...so, can i go ahead with his suggestion..?

Yup, they are right. Protein is quite filling. And yes whey protein shakes are ideal for vegetarians because vegetarian diets are usually a litte low in protein, Also cut down on the amount of rice and number of rotis. Eat more vegetables and daal if you can. They are far more filling

Don't get all your protein from shakes though. Try drinking some skimmed low fat milk every day. You can also add other vegetarian sources of protein to your diet, like rajma, almonds, soya chunks, tofu, low fat dahi etc.

Yup, they are right. Protein is quite filling. And yes whey protein shakes are ideal for vegetarians because vegetarian diets are usually a litte low in protein, Also cut down on the amount of rice and number of rotis. Eat more vegetables and daal if you can. They are far more filling

Don't get all your protein from shakes though. Try drinking some skimmed low fat milk every day. You can also add other vegetarian sources of protein to your diet, like rajma, almonds, soya chunks, tofu, low fat dahi etc.

Thanks a lot Nanoneo for your time..

in that case, can you pls suggest me some good whey protein ...

That gym instructor is making you a c*****ya.

You haven't even worked out well to be settled in, and here you are talking about supplements. Concentrate on the workouts for now, and get your diet in order, we can talk about supplements after a few months.

There are lots of vegetarian sources for protein. Milk/Curd being the best of the lot.

Hi Guys,
I was thinking for long to write up here, so here it is today.
I had gained weight constantly for last 7-8 years. This gradual increase has led to weigh me more than 90 KG now.
Background: I live sedentary lifestyle ans my work involves lot of table work only. I spend around 9 hours in office and 3 hours in travelling(Mumbai! phew). Not much time left for other activities as such. Around 2 years back, to lose weight, I joined gym around 3-4 months but I didnt lost more than 2-3 kg and gradually that led to losing interest and finally left it.

Diet: I eat oats/corn flakes with milk and sometimes banana. In lunch I take 3 chapatis, 1 vegetable and 1 small bowl of curd. In evening, few biscuits and in dinner 3 chapatis and 1 bowl vegetable/cereal.

I can take out around 1 hour in the morning for workout/jogging/etc.

Kindly guide me what should be the ideal way to lose weight, I am looking to lose around 2 KG per month.

@honest1

Weight training along with Cardio. First 40 minutes you can dedicate to weight training and rest 20 min to Cardio of your choice ->(walking/running/cycling/cross-trainer).

Your diet seems fine, though I would suggest to remove Corn flakes and reduce the no. of Chapatis. Oats and Milk is fine for breakfast, though have a little more milk, and have a little more curd in lunch. At night try to avoid Chapatis as much as you can, or reduce it. Instead eat a vegetable meal like salad or boiled sprouts and the likes. You can try and make them varied each day to keep it interesting. Also add in some milk/curd/egg at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear @blkrb0t

you can put this in more civilized manner...

read my query's carefully...i suggest you to learn how to put your thoughts...may be you can observe 'Nananeo' post...

after reading first line...i stopped reading...and .i felt you are the one, what my instructor is trying to make....

good luck..have patience in reading discussion completely...

Dear @blkrb0t

you can put this in more civilized manner...

read my query's carefully...i suggest you to learn how to put your thoughts...may be you can observe 'Nananeo' post...

after reading first line...i stopped reading...and .i felt you are the one, what my instructor is trying to make....

good luck..have patience in reading discussion completely...

Don't worry, you are the perfect candidate for him. You'll do well with your protein "shakes", I believe there is a popular meme around it spreading on the internet too. Enjoy your Whey.

Don't worry, you are the perfect candidate for him. You'll do well with your protein "shakes", I believe there is a popular meme around it spreading on the internet too. Enjoy your Whey.

:)

still you dont understand...i am not asking for supplements..i was asking for suggestion...
and you came here with high attitude instead of helping...i was scared to listen to that fellow and came here for genuine advice...and thanks for help.

I was just saying there is way for saying things...

If you have joined the Gym and are using weights, make sure you are doing compound exercises like Squats, DeadLifts, BenchPresses, Pullups, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows.

honest1

Weight training along with Cardio. First 40 minutes you can dedicate to weight training and rest 20 min to Cardio of your choice ->(walking/running/cycling/cross-trainer).

Your diet seems fine, though I would suggest to remove Corn flakes and reduce the no. of Chapatis. Oats and Milk is fine for breakfast, though have a little more milk, and have a little more curd in lunch. At night try to avoid Chapatis as much as you can, or reduce it. Instead eat a vegetable meal like salad or boiled sprouts and the likes. You can try and make them varied each day to keep it interesting. Also add in some milk/curd/egg at night.

I would suggest doing the cardio on non weight training days, as one would be too spent to give it all in the cardio.
Also doing cardio on non weight training days, would help you in the recovery and helps you burn some calories on those days.
Thats off course you are not lifting weights everyday.

I would suggest doing the cardio on non weight training days, as one would be too spent to give it all in the cardio.
Also doing cardio on non weight training days, would help you in the recovery and helps you burn some calories on those days.
Thats off course you are not lifting weights everyday.

It won't help with recovery, it would actually burden the recovering muscle. If he is doing it every day of the week or at least 6 days, I would suggest your idea. But if he is visiting gym around 3-4 days of the week, it is better to do Cardio after the weight-training itself. Cardio can also include HIIT.

Off days are a great morale booster and the most necessary thing if you have to keep going to the gym for months. It's better to workout hard and then rest, but it depends on the person.

Back