The Last of Us - Discussion Thread

2nd That....Shooting is bad but this acually improves as you upgrade the skills.
I just love the melee attacks and melee customizations with the scissors for instant hit death:)

wholesetup is quite great....great graphics and sound. have been playing for 8 hrs stretch since morning:)...my first game in last 1 year.

Its here :D

IMG_0062.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0059.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0055.JPG

Screwed up real bad didn't pre order the game and can't get either of the special editions.
Need both editions as a friend is planning to buy 'Joel' and I was planning to get the 'Eli' edition.
He went over to Game4U & Games The Shop yesterday but it was not available. Guys at Game4U told him they were only available via pre order. They might restock it but won't be available locally. With the keyword 'might' my hopes are pinned on flipkart.
Is there any other way to source the game?

^Let it be. Its not really worth it. The poster quality is pathetic, the dual shock skin looks very cheap, the comic can be downloaded online. The only thing good about the special edition is the art book. The thing i hate most about this edition is that I cannot stack this game with the rest of my collection as there is no plastic box inside. The paper outer box it comes in will get spoiled in no time. Overall I think I kinda wasted 1000 bucks on it.

@Bluffmaster - I thought the special edition was going to include a DLC code as well. I checked the PSN store today didn't see any DLC. Was the code included or is the DLC only exclusive to special edition holders at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just completed the title! *phew*

The in-game stats show 17 hours and 11 minutes; a bit lengthier than I expected it to be because I kept roaming around searching every nuke and corner for collectibles and artifacts! And at no point did it feel repetitive or boring. Terrific game! The whole thing felt like a movie with so much emotional depth, intense action and stealth-based combat, kick-ass voice acting by Troy Baker (the same dude who voiced Booker DeWitt for Bioshock Inifinite!) and Ashley Johnson, level designs and never-before seen visuals. This also shows how Naughty Dog managed to use the same old boring zombie apocalypse based storyline and convert it into one of the epic titles of this generation. Make no mistake, this title is this year's TWD; it is going to walk away with several awards this year including the GOTY (a really hard one for Bioshock Infinite)! No two thoughts about that. And thank you Naughty Dog for one hell of a title. Loved every bit of it. Until next time!

EDIT:

Some other impressions from my playthrough I could think off from the top of my head:

- Crafting is a crucial element in the game very essential for surviving the outbreak. We can create several jugaad stuff from the day-to-day essentials such as scissors, nails, tape, rags, alcohol, sugar etc. and craft some lethal stuff like bombs and molotovs! Towards the later part of the game, bombs came in very handy (much more than the molotovs) at disposing off a bunch of infected or humans. At one point, the mighty brawler took a few shots from the hunting rifle and then the bomb laid it to rest. Melee weapons don’t last too long either. With a few hits, it breaks itself - pretty realistic actually. A piece of pipe with a bend lasts longer than a baseball bat than a piece of wood. Reminded me of Condemned 2: Bloodshot! Although these take a few shots to kill the enemy, a machete or an axe can kill them in one shot. So between a machete (which can be upgraded to two more shots making it five in total) and a pipe, it may be a good idea to choose the former.

- Some of the training manuals greatly improved the effectiveness of the molotovs, bombs and health kits. Although I tried to collect as many as I could during my playthrough, I may have missed one or two (because the trophy wasn’t unlocked!).

- Stealth plays a very crucial role in the game. Sometimes it may be a good idea to quietly sneak through a group of blind clickers rather than face them head on with very low ammo/health and die. At one point (actually towards the last part of the game), Joel and Ellie has to tread through a subway filled with runners, clickers and 2 brawlers - at least 15 of them altogether! I managed to get past this area without firing a single bullet or killing a single infected during my playthrough yesterday! There are multiple ways to get past some areas.

- Joel has access to a good arsenal throughout the game and many more weapons get unlocked during the course of the game. The hunting rifle is initially a pain to use with the crosshair swaying all across. But once the upgrades are done (scope and its upgrade, armor-piercing rounds and power) this becomes a lethal sniper rifle! Guaranteed one shot kill to the torso. I ditched the 9mm pistol once the revolver was unlocked. Although the revolver could hold only very less ammo compared to the pistol, it was much more powerful. The only downside is the reloading takes a bit longer. The flamethrower is another good weapon that unfortunately gets unlocked towards the later part of the game. It is extremely good at disposing off a bunch of infected hurling towards Joel. The sad part? It quickly runs out of napalm. And after a brief while, we no longer get access to napalm canisters. The El Diablo is another powerful assault pistol with a scope. Although it can only hold a limited number of rounds, those are essentially one shot kills. The bow and arrow is another good weapon perfect for stealth kills with the arrows being retrievable sometimes making it a survivor’s perfect weapon (Tomb Raider anyone?). The most versatile weapon of all is the assault rifle but unfortunately we get access to it at the final stage.

- Unlike the Uncharted series, health is not regenerative and Joel (and Ellie) will have to depend on chocolate bars and health kits to rejuvenate themselves. Or craft a health kit using rags and alcohol. I am glad that the developers chose not to have regenerative health in a game like this wherein survival is paramount for the game’s progression.

- The death sequences of the characters (including Joel and Ellie themselves!) are pretty violent and gory - the best I’ve seen in any title till date. And it easily betters Dead Space 2! The stalker or clicker would bite the neck and tear off the flesh with the veins and blood splattering out while Joel/Ellie cries in pain and a bloater would grab Joel by his face attempting to split the face into two halves horizontally by piercing his eyes with one of its hands and holding the lower jaw by the other! Extremely gory and brutal - this is so not the Naughty Dog we knew back from the Uncharted days!

- There are plenty of collectibles strewn around the game’s different levels - inside the dormitories of the university, restrooms, quarantine zones, abandoned villas among others. This ranges from notes left by different people (some of them are actually pretty touching and emotional!), personal diaries, random photographs, comic books of Ellie’s interest, maps of a location, Firefly pendants etc.

- The game pushes the PS3’s hardware to its limits offering some of the best eye candy! We’ve seen this in the Uncharted series before and we are treated to another eyegasm by the same developers. Sun shafts through the broken high-rise buildings and trees, lens flare, reflections in the puddle of water - Naughty Dog has left no stone unturned to ensure that the visuals remain top notch. The system takes a beating at times with the frames dropping occasionally - not a big downer though since it lasts barely a few seconds.

- The soundtracks of the game were composed and produced by Gustavo Santaolalla - the two time consecutive Academy Award winner for his compositions on Brokeback Mountain and Babel, both of which are some amazing movies. But us Indians, got a taste of his composition pretty early on when he composed for Kiran Rao’s Dhobi Ghat. He is particularly noted for the strings he plays on the Charango, a small stringed instrument just as the game’s soundtracks emphasizes this fact. This was also his first attempt at composing a game’s soundtracks and looks like we already have a winner here. Watch this video (skip to 4:54 for his Spike VGA 2012 note!):

The sound effects are also pretty amazing, more so with a proper 5.1 surround sound system in place. With the DTS effect enabled, the clicking sound emitted by the clickers can be distinctively heard from the satellite speakers - turn Joel around a bit and we can hear it from the other speaker. And with the monsoons on, what more can be a better season to play such a title!

- Just like the Uncharted series wherein Nolan North cast his voice and mo-cap. for Nathan Drake, Naughty Dog roped in the veteran voice actor Troy Baker to be cast as Joel (trivia: Baker had to juggle between this one and Bioshock Infinite amidst his hectic schedules; he is also going to be voicing Delsin Rowe, the protagonist of Infamous: Second Son due for the PS4 next year!), Ashley Johnson for Ellie (the facial rendering is exactly similar to Ellen Page although Ellen was not involved in the project at all!) and Merle Dandridge (Alyx from the Half Life 2 series) who voiced and mo-cap’ed Marlene. The mo-cap. and the facial rendering was bit perfect, at times it felt like a live-action movie! Kudos to the developers.

11926T1_mocap_0005-610x400.jpg

- The game craves attention to detail everywhere. Natural gravity ventilators atop buildings rotate slowly (in most titles, I have noticed them to be stationary), blood oozes out of the arteries from the neck of the infected when it is beheaded and after a few seconds it stops, Joel’s backpack shows what stuff he has equipped at the moment and so forth.

- This game is rated M (for Mature) for a reason. Intense violence, blood and gore, use of alcohol, strong language (the F word is used very frequently by Ellie!). It might not be a good idea to play this when young ones or parents are around. Just a headsup!

- Trophies in the title deserve a mention (LISTEN UP all ye trophy whores!). At the end of the gameplay the percentage of trophies unlocked were 5% - that's right FIVE percent! You would normally expect at least 35-40% of the trophies to be unlocked but that isn't the case here. There are a limited number of trophies (23) but I could unlock just two! It is possible to unlock 3-4 more during the first playthrough if you manage to collect all the training manuals, unlock all the shiv doors, collect all the artifacts and Firefly pendants. So @quixand, if you are eyeing the Platinum on this one, be prepared for multiple playthroughs (I am betting at least three!).

I will have to wait some more to get hold of this title. My friend in Hyd had bought a copy and i will take it from him in exchange of UC3 :))

Take your sweet time and play it dude. I am glad I took a day off today. Opened the windows of my drawing room, it was raining outside and the atmosphere was just perfect for a game like this.

Take your sweet time and play it dude. I am glad I took a day off today. Opened the windows of my drawing room, it was raining outside and the atmosphere was just perfect for a game like this.

Day off for gaming, again? Ok where do you work now I seriously want to apply there.

Jokes apart - I saw the Images you posted in the FS thread and I saw the DLC vouchers as well. @Bluffmaster is that the same voucher that you got with the Joel edition? @Gannu - Is there online Co-Op?

Those are the Sights and Sounds pack and Survival Pack DLCs @prabs. No online co-op for the story based campaign. There is some faction based MP gameplay.

Day off for gaming, again? Ok where do you work now I seriously want to apply there.

Jokes apart - I saw the Images you posted in the FS thread and I saw the DLC vouchers as well. @Bluffmaster is that the same voucher that you got with the Joel edition? @Gannu - Is there online Co-Op?

Yeah, its the same DLC. Not much to it, just some avatars and themes. I don't care much about the soundtrack either. You could have had the DLC even if you pre-ordered the normal version.

Quick question, it tried redeeming the online pass code which is on the back page of the catalogue. It gives me an option to redeem a 90 day free PS+ membership instead!

Has that happened for any of you?

Finally completed the game! All I can say is "Oh! That was intense!" ;) Took 18 hrs to complete but that is due to some bad choices. I can't say much about the game right now, because I'm still in the mood of the game, but everyone must play this game, somehow. But now I'm getting sad. Life is feeling purposeless. Next stop Beyond: Two Souls :)

This game (and before that The Walking Dead series previously) got me thinking really hard, what would happen if there was a similar occurrence in reality? Come to think of it. Say if a really bad epidemic was to break out all of a sudden and medical science has no cure for it! There would be factions all over, looting happens everywhere - banks, grocery and departmental stores, the army would have been deployed everywhere, quarantine zones. Survival of the fittest!

Initially I found solace in the idea that I was on the good side(at least a bit) and the people I was killing were bad. But I quickly realized that there is not much difference if any between them and me and all of us are just fighting for survival. We have become ruthless and cold hearted for the most part. But if such a situation arises, I think that is the only way it would pan out. I was really conflicted about what I did at the end and cannot say that what I did was right, but maybe deep deep down, that is what I really wanted to happen. I want to type more but can't do without spoilers. I will cherish this game and games like this all my life.[DOUBLEPOST=1371577402][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit: Also the voice acting really really helps and makes us really feel what the characters are feeling, especially Ashely(Ellie). It is extremely realistic. And it is also nice that the various opponents in the game get proper contextual dialogue, with even names sometimes, for insignificant opponents to make it even more realistic.

Reminds me of Walking dead TV series or Resident Evil movies. This is another emotional ride like Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain on PS3.

And it is also nice that the various opponents in the game get proper contextual dialogue, with even names sometimes, for insignificant opponents to make it even more realistic.

Exactly! I noticed that there are plenty of optional dialogues we can engage in. If we choose not to, the game would continue in the usual way. There is also a trophy that unlocks if we unlock all the optional dialogues.

Back