~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

nish_higher said:
Hey nokia X6 out ?

I need a new phone sub 25k,except iphone and wm 6 phones unless cap touch scrn.My first preference would be x6 but not sure if its out.

Don't look elsewhere, get yourself Samsung i8910 OmniaHD. One kick ass phone. Priced around 25k, Symbian 60 & Cap touch.

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD - Full phone specifications

shaibalik said:
Incase of NOKIA .. nothing stands better than 5800 at the moment ... I guess it'll be better if you get your N82 fixed .. which seems the best option as of now .. :p

Nokia N79 !!!!!!!!!! @14k.

Roxtin said:
Samsung Corby Pro around 8k in Pune

Whaaaatttt????? Are you serious?? CorbyPro @9k????

It must be CorbyPlus.

nish_higher said:
^ no flash + poor symbian app support
i think i'll wait for X6 , for the cam flash
or just grab a Hero without chin

OmniaHD has single LED flash, and come on just compare hardware of both devices. Omnia is way too powerful, even X6 cant beat it.

Who says s60v5 has poor app support??? Hundreds and thousands are available, just look around.

App support is way poor when you compare it with iphone and android.Symbian is a closed platform so most apps cost a bomb , if we purchase rather than going that forum way.

Nokia 5800XM has been in the market for an year now. Has Nokia launched any of it's successor like it does with all it's phone? They usually launch a really great phone which is a little expensive than the last one.

Actually, I currently own a Sony Ericsson 810i which has a great camera. And I use it a lot too. However, I read a lot of books on it's 2" screen and I would like a bigger screen, at least 3". I had bought my K810i for 11,500 last year and it has been serving me great. I would like an upgrade for 15-20K, primarily because really want a bigger screen. I also want my phone to be Symbian/Android. I don't know what they put in the Corby. I should be able to install 3rd party applications without too many hassles. Plus I require other Smart phone features like 3G, Wifi, GPS, etc. Can have either dedicated or virtual keyboard.

I have been looking around the internet and I realized that there is no phone other than the Nokia 5800XM. But it has a shitty camera.

So should I:

1) Wait, because there is no worthy upgrade to my current phone. Just look at it's battery and awesome camera. Lasts me 3 days. A full screen phone with Android would be yummy.

2) Buy Nokia 5800XM. I will have to live with a shitty camera but nokia might never come out with such great and VFM phone again. They haven't in the last one year.

3) Buy some other phone that you people are gonna suggest to me.

You know, I bought my last phone after asking here too.

Hey guys,

Recently my SE K850i decided to go kaput, and i am left with a dead phone.. Now i will probably get it repaired and might use it as backup cell, but i am in the market for a new phone.. :eek:hyeah: ..

What i ( might ) need:

1) A good web browser.

2) Zippy interface. ( and the sexier, the better !! :p )

3) Oodles of apps to play with.

4) Hackable firmware or ROMs. :eek:hyeah:

5) QWERTY KB preferred.

Now i have narrowed myself to either of these 2 : E72 or HTC HD2..

I know they aren't even in the same category or price range, but then these are what i thought would be good for me..

E72 for the awesomeness that is the QWERTY KB + snappy + great app support ( specially once the firmware is hacked.. :p )

HTC HD2 is a beauty.. Capacitive touchscreen should solve any complains for the WinMO + (probably) hackable ROM + loads of apps ( i guess.. :? ) + great screen ( said it again.. :p )..

But then other friends started suggesting Iphone 3GS.. and then Moto Droid and then Samsung Omnia 2.. So i am hell lotta confused..

Can anybody help me with the pros n cons of the above mentioned devices and suggest what to go for..???

Thanks a lot..

:)

Edit: Getting E72 for 19.8k .. HTC HD2 for 31k..

baccilus said:
Nokia 5800XM has been in the market for an year now. Has Nokia launched any of it's successor like it does with all it's phone? They usually launch a really great phone which is a little expensive than the last one.
Actually, I currently own a Sony Ericsson 810i which has a great camera. And I use it a lot too. However, I read a lot of books on it's 2" screen and I would like a bigger screen, at least 3". I had bought my K810i for 11,500 last year and it has been serving me great. I would like an upgrade for 15-20K, primarily because really want a bigger screen. I also want my phone to be Symbian/Android. I don't know what they put in the Corby. I should be able to install 3rd party applications without too many hassles. Plus I require other Smart phone features like 3G, Wifi, GPS, etc. Can have either dedicated or virtual keyboard.
I have been looking around the internet and I realized that there is no phone other than the Nokia 5800XM. But it has a shitty camera.
So should I:
1) Wait, because there is no worthy upgrade to my current phone. Just look at it's battery and awesome camera. Lasts me 3 days. A full screen phone with Android would be yummy.
2) Buy Nokia 5800XM. I will have to live with a shitty camera but nokia might never come out with such great and VFM phone again. They haven't in the last one year.

Help:-(. Why no reply?

1) HTC Tattoo. runs android, comes with 2.8" display and costs 16k
2) Nokia E72. Runs Symbian. solid build quality and stability. True all rounder. perfect for reading. costs 20k

if you put camera aside, nothing beats 5800XM in VFM for touch phones and E72 for qwerty phones in 10k-20k price range.

alekhkhanna said:
Hey guys,
Recently my SE K850i decided to go kaput, and i am left with a dead phone.. Now i will probably get it repaired and might use it as backup cell, but i am in the market for a new phone.. :eek:hyeah: ..
What i ( might ) need:
1) A good web browser.
5) QWERTY KB preferred.
I know they aren't even in the same category or price range, but then these are what i thought would be good for me..
E72 for the awesomeness that is the QWERTY KB + snappy + great app support ( specially once the firmware is hacked.. :p )
HTC HD2 is a beauty.. Capacitive touchscreen should solve any complains for the WinMO + (probably) hackable ROM + loads of apps ( i guess.. :? ) + great screen ( said it again.. :p )..
But then other friends started suggesting Iphone 3GS.. and then Moto Droid and then Samsung Omnia 2.. So i am hell lotta confused..
Can anybody help me with the pros n cons of the above mentioned devices and suggest what to go for..???
Thanks a lot..

If you have 35k-40k to spend on phone then look no further than iphone 3GS and Nokia X6 (coming out soon).

There is no idea when Motorola milestone is going to be released in India. And Omnia 2's audio quality is nowhere near to what iphone 3GS or Nokia 5800XM offers.

When I look at current state of windows 6.5, I feel that windows mobile is soon going to be history but then if I see articles like this one:

Hot Windows Mobile 7 insight - GSMArena.com news

I feel that winmo will be back with a bang but WHEN???

if you want to take a chance, go for winmo based phone that comes with capacitive touch screen as that would be ideal device to upgrade to windows mobile 7 when it comes out. HTC DH2 is a superb phone but 4.3" display with 65k color is umm ..... The phone is 120mm in length and that's a full cm longer than X6 or 5800XM. If you can live with the length, it will be a good experience.

hotshot05 said:
Hey TTM, what is the latest street price of the Nokia 5730XM, 5630XM, 5530XM, 5230XM, E63?

Any idea about the price of the Samsung Corby Pro & Plus?

Nokia 5730 XM ~ 14-15K (EXP)
Nokia 5630 XM ~ 12-13K (EXP)
Nokia 5530 XM ~ 12K (Approx)
Nokia 5230 XM ~ 10K (Approx)
Nokia E63 ~ 10.5K*
Samsung CorbyPro ~ 11.6K*
Samsung CorbyPlus ~ 8.7K*

desiibond said:
1) HTC Tattoo. runs android, comes with 2.8" display and costs 16k

2) Nokia E72. Runs Symbian. solid build quality and stability. True all rounder. perfect for reading. costs 20k

if you put camera aside, nothing beats 5800XM in VFM for touch phones and E72 for qwerty phones in 10k-20k price range.

If you have 35k-40k to spend on phone then look no further than iphone 3GS and Nokia X6 (coming out soon).

There is no idea when Motorola milestone is going to be released in India. And Omnia 2's audio quality is nowhere near to what iphone 3GS or Nokia 5800XM offers.

When I look at current state of windows 6.5, I feel that windows mobile is soon going to be history but then if I see articles like this one:

Hot Windows Mobile 7 insight - GSMArena.com news

I feel that winmo will be back with a bang but WHEN???

if you want to take a chance, go for winmo based phone that comes with capacitive touch screen as that would be ideal device to upgrade to windows mobile 7 when it comes out. HTC DH2 is a superb phone but 4.3" display with 65k color is umm ..... The phone is 120mm in length and that's a full cm longer than X6 or 5800XM. If you can live with the length, it will be a good experience.

Thanks for the insight.. :) ..

I have used a Nokia N97 as well as 5800.. For me, the screen is a bit too umm.. resistive.. :p .. And a plus for Samsung Omnia 2 is that the screen is pseudo - resistive ( is that a term..?? :p ) .. feels almost capacitive..

I am enchanted by the HTC Sense UI, but many reviews and personal opinions later, i get an overall negative feeling about it.. Users say the messaging system is screwed, wherein SMSs arrive late..also the issue of laggy multi-tasking capabilities.. Omnia 2 comes with a dedicated graphics chip and the AMOLED screen rocks, although the UI isnt that intuitive..

Dunno, but after all the hassles i am in right now, suddenly IPhone 3GS seems to be a robust device with solid apps support which isnt going to be kaput in long time.. Add in the jailbreak & the device opens up a lot.. The only hassle is it isnt available unlocked legally in India..

Also, rumors abound that HTC HD2 *will* definitely get the WinMo 7 upgrade.. The news actually came from the official russian tweeter account..

So, in the end, i am still perplexed.. Though i am gearing more towards Omnia 2..

Also can anybody please tell me the difference between Omnia 2 n Omnia HD..??..

Thanks a lot.. :)

Edit: Any idea when is the X6 supposed to arrive..??

baccilus said:

So should I:

1. No immediate successor to the Nokia 5800XM (which continues to cash in!), just two alternatives in the form of the 5530 and 5230.

2. Your Options:

Samsung Omnia Pro B7610 ~ 21.7K* (WinMo 6.1*, 5MP/AF/Fl, 3.5" Disp) :D

HTC Touch2 ~ 21.1K*(WinMo 6.5P, Basic 3MP Cam, 2.8" Disp)

HTC Tattoo ~ 15.7K* (Android, 3MP/AF, 2.8" Disp)

Only the above three meet most of your requirements.

~ T.T.M ~

iq6886 said:
Can anyone suggest me the phone having the best camera...

I'm not talking about megapixels or anything.. I mean quality wise.. ( even a 3.2mp will do.. )

Currently I have N82, which had the best camera when I bought it..

Anything in the budget of 15k ??

The Nokia N82 is still among the best 5MP CPhones. ;)

That apart, there's just the Moto ZN5 (15.4K*), Nokia 6700 Classic (12.2K*) and the SE C903 (15.6K*).

nish_higher said:
Hey nokia X6 out ?

I need a new phone sub 25k,except iphone and wm 6 phones unless cap touch scrn.My first preference would be x6 but not sure if its out.

1. Nope.

2. Your Options:

Samsung i8910 Omnia HD ~ 27.5K*
(Multimedia goodness)

Samsung M8910 Pixon12 ~ 25.6K* (Digicam first, phone second)

Samsung i900 Omnia ~ 25.5K* (Good all-rounder)

HTC G1 ~ 25K (Capacitive TS, Android)

HTC Magic ~ 24.5K* (Capacitive TS, Android)

LG GD900 Crystal ~ 24.2K* (Capacitive TS)

Roxtin said:
Well there is a nice deal on ebay for BB Curve 8310 (in like 9k) and am thinking about picking it up, how good is it compared to Curve 8520. I personally liked 8310 as keys of 8520 seems too cramped.

The QWERTY keypad on the BB 8520 is quite usable with enough spacing. It is also my recommendation in this case.

~ T.T.M ~

alekhkhanna said:
Thanks for the insight.. :) ..
I have used a Nokia N97 as well as 5800.. For me, the screen is a bit too umm.. resistive.. :p .. And a plus for Samsung Omnia 2 is that the screen is pseudo - resistive ( is that a term..?? :p ) .. feels almost capacitive..
I am enchanted by the HTC Sense UI, but many reviews and personal opinions later, i get an overall negative feeling about it.. Users say the messaging system is screwed, wherein SMSs arrive late..also the issue of laggy multi-tasking capabilities.. Omnia 2 comes with a dedicated graphics chip and the AMOLED screen rocks, although the UI isnt that intuitive..
Dunno, but after all the hassles i am in right now, suddenly IPhone 3GS seems to be a robust device with solid apps support which isnt going to be kaput in long time.. Add in the jailbreak & the device opens up a lot.. The only hassle is it isnt available unlocked legally in India..
Also, rumors abound that HTC HD2 *will* definitely get the WinMo 7 upgrade.. The news actually came from the official russian tweeter account..
So, in the end, i am still perplexed.. Though i am gearing more towards Omnia 2..
Also can anybody please tell me the difference between Omnia 2 n Omnia HD..??..
Thanks a lot.. :)
Edit: Any idea when is the X6 supposed to arrive..??

That is what I too think. It is the only phone that can do justice to winmo7's capabilities. And with a 1GHz processor, it certainly rocks and should be able to run Sense UI without lag. It's powerful yet low on power. SE Xperia X10 and Google Nexus One are also supposed to have the same processor.

You can also wait few more weeks as the following are coming out:

Google Nexus One (with android 2.1)
possible release of Motorola Milestone in Asia
SE Xperia X10 in Jan/Feb. (Android)

Yes. Google Nexus One launch is withing weeks.

alekhkhanna said:
Hey guys,

What i ( might ) need:

1) A good web browser.

5) QWERTY KB preferred.

Thanks a lot..

Your best bet would be the HTC Touch Pro2 ! (If you can source one at a good price :p)

The Moto Milestone (Droid) and Nokia N900 are also solid options.

Other Options: SE Xperia X2 and Nokia N97.

Now, there are other options but don't you need a physical QWERTY keyboard? :huh:

Also, is there a cap on the budget? :p

~ T.T.M ~

desiibond said:
That is what I too think. It is the only phone that can do justice to winmo7's capabilities. And with a 1GHz processor, it certainly rocks and should be able to run Sense UI without lag. It's powerful yet low on power. SE Xperia X10 and Google Nexus One are also supposed to have the same processor.

You can also wait few more weeks as the following are coming out:

Google Nexus One (with android 2.1)
possible release of Motorola Milestone in Asia
SE Xperia X10 in Jan/Feb. (Android)

Yes. Google Nexus One launch is withing weeks.

thetoxicmind said:
Your best bet would be the HTC Touch Pro2 ! (If you can source one at a good price :p)

The Moto Milestone (Droid) and Nokia N900 are also solid options.

Other Options: SE Xperia X2 and Nokia N97.

Now, there are other options but don't you need a physical QWERTY keyboard? :huh:
Also, is there a cap on the budget? :p

~ T.T.M ~

Thanks for the replies.. :) ..
I dont mind NOT having a physical QWERTY KB if the touch screen one does a good job.. :p .. I also read that HD2 doesnt support landscape KB in all the apps whereas Omnia 2 does.. :? ..
One piece of info i couldnt find was does Opera on the Omnia 2 support Flash out of the box ( as in say no seperate Youtube client or the likes needed..?? ) because the one on HD2 doesnt.. :? ..
Oh.. and Nexus is launching within week.. :O ..
But but i love to tinker around with the handset.. registry, tweaks, rom mods.. you get the drift.. but i definitely dont want to dumbed down with a slow phone..
Hmm.. no backing for Omnia 2..?? Reasons much..?? :)
Edit: And yeah.. budget cap = 30k.. :p
Edit 2: Whatever i am buying now needs to be with me for at least 2 years, maybe 3.. so kindly suggest keeping the future in mind.. :p :D
Ninja edit 3: Can you please give the reasons why to go for Touch Pro rather than HD2.. i mean i know that the HardSPL hasnt been cracked for the HD2 yet, but sooner or later, its bound to be done..:)

alekhkhanna said:
Thanks for the replies.. :) ..
I dont mind NOT having a physical QWERTY KB if the touch screen one does a good job.. :p .. I also read that HD2 doesnt support landscape KB in all the apps whereas Omnia 2 does.. :? ..
One piece of info i couldnt find was does Opera on the Omnia 2 support Flash out of the box ( as in say no seperate Youtube client or the likes needed..?? ) because the one on HD2 doesnt.. :? ..
Oh.. and Nexus is launching within week.. :O ..
But but i love to tinker around with the handset.. registry, tweaks, rom mods.. you get the drift.. but i definitely dont want to dumbed down with a slow phone..
Hmm.. no backing for Omnia 2..?? Reasons much..?? :)
Edit: And yeah.. budget cap = 30k.. :p
Edit 2: Whatever i am buying now needs to be with me for at least 2 years, maybe 3.. so kindly suggest keeping the future in mind.. :p :D
Ninja edit 3: Can you please give the reasons why to go for Touch Pro rather than HD2.. i mean i know that the HardSPL hasnt been cracked for the HD2 yet, but sooner or later, its bound to be done..:)

if winmo is the os of choice, the the choice remains between omnia 2 and hd2, reports omnia 2 touchwiz 2 b is laggay, but the beauty of winmo is u can use a ui overlay over it. like spb shell, then device feels very fast like a true 800mhz would , a very good still and video camera (720*480,30fps)by mobile phone standards,hd2 doesn't have front facinf video camera for video call, if the 3 arrives in 5-6 months time, ait certainly helps to have then not to have the facility, bigger batter, 1500 mah, amoled screen much better than hd2, capacitive screen has a negative that u cannot handwrite on them. well i'm going for omnia b7610, it also hs slide out keyboard plus all the features of omnia2 less but less internal memory never mind its girth and weith, i like carry mobile in hand anyways, keeping in pockets is noty a healthy practice anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back