~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

Suggestions needed for a friend .What would be the best possible phone for ~25-35k ..Max even 40k. :|

Good battery life needed- ~2 / 2.5 days

Good screen for watching videos / movies

capable of editing / viewing small word/excel and power point files.

Good /average camera + music quality

UI /Apps shouldn't be sluggish .

Phone needs to be a little rough and tough *to be used by a girl*

Current options being considered -Iphone 3GS or Blackberry 9700 from Vodafone .

Google Nexus One has poor battery life ?

Is the Android UI , apps, games etc easy to use and install by a girl who is not very techie .

FaH33m said:
Suggestions needed for a friend .What would be the best possible phone for ~25-35k ..Max even 40k. :|

Is the Android UI , apps, games etc easy to use and install by a girl who is not very techie .

iPhone 3Gs doesnt have a very good battery life (1.5 days IMO) apart from that its a great statement to own one :) Another thing , the girl would have to go through iTunes to get anything onto her iPhone so keep this in mind, as it may or may not be a very user friendly experience for her .

FaH33m said:

hmm. isn't E72 should be good.

just 10mm thick means good for girls.

ARM 600MHz processor : apps won't be sluggish.

3.5mm audio jack : decent music quality

3.2mp camera : decent camera

comes with office document editor that has worked like a charm on these Nokia E series phones.

full qwerty keypad making editing easier.

for heavy office file editing and messaging, I would suggest phones that come with full qwerty. My other suggestions would be:

1) Motorola Milestone (28k) running Android 2.1, 3.7" capacitive touch and just 13.7mm even with side-slideways qwerty.

2) Samsung B7610. Hell of a performer and one the best business class phones ever made. side-slide qwerty and 3.5" AMOLED touch display. runs winmo 6.5

BB Bold is a good phone but is overshadowed by these beauties :)

Also do remember that you pay more money in data plan charges if you go for these locked devices like BB Bold or iphone.

eg:you need to pay 1099 to get unlimited data plan for Blackberry. Am using Airtel mobile office unlimited plan on 5800XM and paying 160 per week. On the other hand Airtel's offer of 500MB free data usage every month for one year with the purchase of iphone 3GS is tempting. very rarely does someone use more than 500MB on phone which means that one can save 7680 bucks (+tax) in a year when compared to the same on a 25k phone.

What is the cost of Samsung jet?

I'm confused between Samsung jet and Nokia 5800xm.
I don't need Symbian OS as much, but I'm considering 5800xmfor it's FREE navigation software.
Do we get any free navigation software with Samsung Jet?

BTW I'm from Mumbai.

EDIT : I'm looking for FREE TURN BY TURN navigation. eg wisepilot in SE (paid), OVI in Nokia (free) etc.
Samsung jet ??

geek ashish said:
What is the cost of Samsung jet?

I'm confused between Samsung jet and Nokia 5800xm.
I don't need Symbian OS as much, but I'm considering 5800xmfor it's FREE navigation software.
Do we get any free navigation software with Samsung Jet?

BTW I'm from Mumbai.

Samsung Jet now costs around 13.5k-14k. It is a great multimedia phone and if you are not much interested in OS and UI, it can be a great companion :)

Am not exactly sure but Google maps app might work with Samsung Jet.

Also found this article about GPS on Jet. Samsung Jet S8003: How To Enable GPS Navigation And Navigation Route 66 For Free | areacellphone.com

desiibond said:
5230 is 5233 without A-GPS and 3G.

manu1991 said:
Its the other way round .

@desiibond u confused me yet again 5230 has GPS and 3G.Where as 5233 does not have

Btw Is it possible to use AGPS using offline maps and GPS (something like Garmin or Tom Tom) on the Samsung CorbyPro B5310??

How is the Samsung monte S5620 compared to Samsung CorbyPro B5310.I am seriously confused now.As i posted earlier my requirements are decent phone with good colors ,with KB(not a must if the on screen KB is good enough,capacitive is preferred) ,3G,GPS is a must as you tend to get lost in NZ very fast.Budget of Max 10K.Preferred brand Nokia or Samsung.The phone should be able to use offline maps with GPS(turn by turn navigation) only and not GPRS or Wifi.

Edit: The phone should not run into problems as it will be used by an elderly person in NZ and as you know there will be no Warranty for the phones i will be taking to NZ.It should be easy to use and no fuzz.Usage will be talking,testing,may be music and GPS will be used almost everyday .This guy stays in the remotest part of NZ he had shown me the entire west coast of NZ when i was there .I will be gifting this phone to him.

other than nokia, nobody offers Free turn-by-turn navigation. Also almost all pro GPS softwares download maps on the go. Here, too, Nokia comes to your hel with OVI maps.

With nokia, you are always sure about its reliability if the phone's bit old.
Eg, E72 and e52, latest offerings form Nokia, have buggy firmwares, while older phones like E71 and 5800XM have matured through a number of Firmware upgrades.

Nokia 5230 is the only solution. Also it's not that bad, much better than E72 and E52, as 5230XM shares alot of hardware parts with 5800XM.
5230xm is not an entirely new phone. It's just a kicked down version of 5800xm.

There are better chances of 5230xm being a stable phone. It's your call.

BTW even I'm torn between 5800xm and Samsung JET

Need advice buying my first mobile within a week or so...Price range is 5K...

Specifications:

1.Good battery life

2.Decent music quality with earbuds mostly as i liked my brother's corby earbuds.If other stereo ear phones are good please suggest them also

3.Camera 2 MP

4.Should support pdf,text documents

If new mobiles with great features arrive in 3-4 months, I can wait for them.Please advice

thetoxicmind said:
Considering you want to upgrade from an iPhone, I can only assume that you are bored with the set of features, hidden behind the excellent usability of the device.

Alternatives to the N97 Mini :
N97, Samsung B7610, HTC Hero, LG GC900, SE Vivaz, SE Aino

~ T.T.M ~

Umm.. well .. i was asking if it ould be right for my to buy the mini or not ..??? s it that bad of a phone keeping its fluidity of its touch aside ..??

smAsh said:
^^Any other model? I already have one 5130 in my family and looking for something else. And no SE please.

Don't get angry, but I don't see any logic in this.

I have 3 SE K750i and 1 W810i in my home used by different family members.
K750i was (is still) ruling the category for long time. Even today many 5 MP camera phones can't match it's Image Quality and SONY Walkman has superb SQ.

I mean if the product satisfies your need and it is available as new with B&W, then why not.

I'm more than willing to buy another Fiat Palio GTX. :hap2:

No hard feelings mate. 5130 xm is really good in that price bracket.
Go for new grey-black coloured.

Guys, how's the samsung Jet on durability front? Also Is Samsung A.S.S. good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back