~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

sunny27 said:
what would you suggest?

nokia 6303i or samsung s5200?

sunny27 said:
i have decided i am going for the samsung s5350 - i like the looks i like the features--this has 3g -something nokia 6303i or the samsung s5200 does not have. the camera has better image quality if compared to the nokia 6303i if you are looking at daylight photography and then the sound quality is very good and with the 3.5mm adapter its easy to use your own headphones.

Smart choice, it sure is a looker! :cool2: Samsung devices generally have decent SQ.

So you see, these things ultimately come down to your personal preference. :)

Metalspree said:
6303i or 5310XM ??

@T.T.M How is the reliability of the 5310XM??.I had picked one for my mom about 2 years back it has some software issues and conked off with in one year,but got it replaced by Nokia thats another painfull story.Since i am not going to be there in the country till the year end .I do not want her(fiance) to face any issues with what ever phone i purchase.

One more question is the keypad of both the phones good enough to take the abuse of fast texting and about 200 to 300 texts per day.

Well, the Nokia 6303i is newer, packs in a few more features and available in a wide range of colours(take note! ;)). It offers balanced performance, as it is intended to do just that. The keypad is pretty decent for super fast typing.

The Nokia 5310 XM on the other hand, is slightly dated in comparison and essentially a music phone where others features are secondary. The slim form factor & the SQ, are the top reasons for choosing this device. Buggy software is unavoidable, as it remains unpredictable among most devices today. Sensible people usually upgrade or downgrade (Nokia Care) their phone software accordingly, the rest learn to live with it or get rid of the device eventually.

I would probably suggest the 6303i's keypad over the 5310 XM but would strongly suggest trying it in person, as hands-on experience matters in such cases.

Metalspree said:
Ok i have another requirement,I am looking for another phone with below features.I need to gift it to a friend of mine in NZ

Which would be the VFM 3G/2G phone with GPS(Garmin or any other software should work thru GPS and not thru GPRS or WIFI).If it has a KB that would be great.

Preferred brand Nokia ,next preference Samsung

QWERTY keyboard? slide out? BUDGET?

~ T.T.M ~

I am going for Nokia 6303i,after ur view on the Nokia 5310XM and what i have gone through.I would not purchase the 5310XM .I had a look at the phone(6303i) again today.The cam was pretty good and so were the rest of the features.

@T.T.M thanks once again can u suggest me another phone whose requirements i have posted above.

Cheers...

thetoxicmind said:
QWERTY keyboard? slide out? BUDGET?

~ T.T.M ~

Budget max 8~10K,lower the price is better.Slide out will do ,QWERTY will do.

^^all i can say is stay away from Sony as of now. i was a huge Sony fan but their handsets which are being made in china have serious reliability issues. my k-790i spent 6 months with Sony and 2 months with me. then they gave me the c-510 which of late has developed a mind of its own. it restarts often and i get split screen displays. flashing the firmware doesn't help. true, Sony phones are feature laden but they are unreliable.

Hey TTM ..

had a big doubt in mind .. after using my iphone for quite a long time(3 months) .. was thinking of a change now .. please suggest me whether i should buy a NOKIA N97 mini ?? i was thinking to buy that .. will it be good ?? and also suggest me some good alternatives if N97 is not that upto the mark ..!! thanks ..

egobrain.exe said:
Hey TTM ..

had a big doubt in mind .. after using my iphone for quite a long time(3 months) .. was thinking of a change now .. please suggest me whether i should buy a NOKIA N97 mini ?? i was thinking to buy that .. will it be good ?? and also suggest me some good alternatives if N97 is not that upto the mark ..!! thanks ..

if you use N97 after iphone, you will cry every minute. look for phones like moto milestone, nexus one, Nokia N900, HTC HD2

sunny27 said:
^^all i can say is stay away from Sony as of now. i was a huge Sony fan but their handsets which are being made in china have serious reliability issues.
Just curious , were the earlier SE models made elsewhere and not in China ?

yep my w200i was made in Sweeden -it still works like a charm--and then my friend's k790i was made in Sweeden and that phone belonged to first batch of the k790i's he got ir from dubai and it cost him 30k something like 5-6 years back

egobrain.exe said:
cant stretch my budget too far bro .. max. 22k . thats it ..

hmm. N97 is around 27k if I am right and Mini costs around 23k. Check HTC Hero. it's capacitive multi touch display and Android is better than N97's resistive touch. If possible wait for new HTC phones (to be released soon). Looks like HTC Legend is now available for some 23k http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/techenclave-indian-technology-community-gets-his-164710.html

qsahmed said:
Wanna buy a phone under 8k.

Brands preferred : Nokia, SE, Motorola ... No samsung or LG

please suggest a phone with decent camera and most importantly looks....

Nokia 5230 (3.2" touch screen, good music quality)

Nokia 6303i (2.2" display, 3.2mp camera)

Ok i have another requirement,I am looking for another phone with below features.I need to gift it to a friend of mine in NZ

Which would be the VFM 3G/2G phone with GPS(Garmin or any other software should work thru GPS and not thru GPRS or WIFI).If it has a KB that would be great.

Preferred brand Nokia ,next preference Samsung

Metalspree said:
Budget max 8~10K,lower the price is better.Slide out will do ,QWERTY will do.

At 10.8K, the Samsung CorbyPro B5310 will best suit his/her needs.

2.8" , 320 X240 , 16M, TFT resistive touchscreen

Slide-out QWERTY keyboard

GPS Receiver with A-GPS Support

Internal Mem:150 MB ; microSD: upto 16GB

Talk time : Upto 8h , Stand-by: Upto 560 h

3.5mm Jack

saintsinner said:
Is the SE Vivaz considered a good buy?

This should help: Viv A-to-Z :)

egobrain.exe said:
Hey TTM ..

egobrain.exe said:
cant stretch my budget too far bro .. max. 22k . thats it ..

As desiibond pointed out, the difference in fluidity of operation will be significant.

Considering you want to upgrade from an iPhone, I can only assume that you are bored with the set of features, hidden behind the excellent usability of the device.

Alternatives to the N97 Mini :

N97, Samsung B7610, HTC Hero, LG GC900, SE Vivaz, SE Aino

qsahmed said:
Wanna buy a phone under 8k.

Brands preferred : Nokia, SE, Motorola ... No samsung or LG

please suggest a phone with decent camera and most importantly looks....

That's too bad.

Your best option would be the Samsung S5620 Monte (8.8K*) !

~ T.T.M ~

Hey guys, i've been reading this thread for a while now and i've noticed many people are recommending the Samsung S5350 Shark, now the thing is i've been using nokia for a long time, i mean i've used only the nokia phones, and i am so used to the typing functionality, menu items of the nokia phones. So i wanna know if it is easy to get adjusted to smasung, after using nokia for a long time.

Regards

nj_gamer said:
Hey guys, i've been reading this thread for a while now and i've noticed many people are recommending the Samsung S5350 Shark, now the thing is i've been using nokia for a long time, i mean i've used only the nokia phones, and i am so used to the typing functionality, menu items of the nokia phones. So i wanna know if it is easy to get adjusted to smasung, after using nokia for a long time.
Regards

The look and feel may seem overwhelming at first, however, with time this may seem all too familiar. You will get accustomed to it. :)

You see the design structure for most UIs are pretty much the same, it's with the finer details that you see the differences. Some throw in a few surprises along the way and some don't.

If you could possibly find a dealer who would let you use the phone before the purchase, nothing like it!

~ T.T.M ~

i have a nokia, and now samsung along with my main phone which is a sony. there's not much of a learning curve if u plan to switch from handset to handset its just that certain functions and shortcuts are different in different phones. take 24-48 hours for me to totally get adjusted to a new handset and its functions.

VFM -3 G Phone
Samsung S5350 Shark comes to mind
guys can anybody tell if this phone has LED Flash /torch lite-this is a very essential function in Hills, where a mobile LED/torch lite can be a life saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back