The Motorola Defy Thread

^^ Wajk is working on porting the CM7 drivers into MIUI (Well, technically WIUI).. If that happens, I'll stop the flashing process and stay with WIUI.. Imagine a ROM with MIUI's looks and CM7's performance :tongue:.. That day would be the day where Custom ROMs screw the stock ones.. :D (like they haven't already)

I think the latest SEA nightly is perfect for DEFY with good wifi and battery.. Please do check it out.. Also the boot 179 nightly (though it didn't work for me)..

Yes please do so. Also link to the boot 179 nightly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Link found. It's here: tanguy.tk. Scroll down to the bottom.

Should I flash Boot 179 or SEA Nightly. What's the difference anyway?

Err... Cant understand why you had that problem Wolvish. I just flashed it like any other nightly and it worked like a charm.

@kvikram &sunny27, SEA nightly is pretty good. You should be able to just flash it without wiping anything (maybe cache and davlik, no data).

Btw there is a new gingerbread rom from Walter79 found HERE , looks pretty good. Gonna test it soon.

Installed SeaNightly -- Keep getting a rabbit and a motorola symbol - the phone wouldn't boot into the os -- restored the older cm7 rom

@Kill - It seems sunny27 had the same problem as mine.. :(

BTW that rabbit is the logo of epsylon, nightly builder and partner of CM7 defy port.. :)

techno_funky said:
Guys how is the screen resolution of this phone, as in clarity. Will I be able to read PDF's or PDF magazines.

Resolution - 854x480, not as smooth and bright as SAMOLED, but decent enough to watch music videos and read books..

What is a fixed sbf and how do you flash it? Do you do it through bootloader?

Is it possible to disable blur on blur-enabled ROMs?

Hey,

Driod noob here..

I just set up the phone to how I like it (apps, games. backed up texts from old phone etc)

But, having miserable battery (20hrs with no data) on the stock Indian Froyo. Thinking of shifting to Cm7.

What I wanted to ask, can I root, and use titanium backup so that I can restore all my apps/settings to the new Rom?

wolvish said:
^^ After you upgrade to official Indian 2.2 then you can't go back to 2.1. But your phone will be in warranty, So no issues there.. Just download the sbf and keep it safe, but don't flash it..

AFAIK, It'd be better to flash the Nordic froyo first to upgrade to CM7, instead of Indian froyo..

Nandroid backup is just like a disc image you take via Norton ghost.. It should be used ONLY with fixed sbf.. It's done via Custom recovery, in our case Clockwork mod recovery..

OK so I will be receiving my Defy with Foryo 2.2.2 installed. So first thing to is Flash nordic froyo and then CM7.

So let me get this straight, Titanium backup is for the phone contents like contacts, sms etc and Nandroid is the entire SBF right. NAndroid will be taken in Custom Recovery be fore I don anything nasty with the phone....and then I store it in a safe place for future reference a.k.a. warranty...

Am n00b in Android but not Linux. So now if I take out my Microsd card from the old non-android phone and put it in the android one, will it require a format. My guess is I will have to format.... what is the FS in Android? is it ext3 or some thing else?

For waranty u need to store the official full indian froyo 2.2 sbf(available in the 1st post) Nandroid is used to make sure you can downgrade, so if u want to try out 2.3.3 but want the option to go back to 2.2.2 then u need a nandroid and fixed sbf for 2.3.3 so that if ur phone has lot of force close or stuck-at-boot u can flash the full sbf and go on. Custom bootloader i.e. 2nd init should not be on ur phone to claim waranty as moto has a locked bootloader so u are not allowed to use custom roms (officialy)

kvikram said:
What is a fixed sbf and how do you flash it? Do you do it through bootloader?

Is it possible to disable blur on blur-enabled ROMs?

Nandroid + fixed sbf method is used to keep your downgrade ability. Yes, you have to do a reset in custom recovery, flash the nandroid first and then in bootloader mode you have to flash the fixed sbf.

For official blur models/ROMs, you CAN'T disable blur, you need to log into to your blur account first to use the phone itself. Only custom blur ROMs, esp. Motoginger has the option to use the ROM w/ or w/o Blur.. :)

mrnikhilsudo said:
OK so I will be receiving my Defy with Foryo 2.2.2 installed. So first thing to is Flash nordic froyo and then CM7.

Yes, you're right. It's recommended, but not absolutely necessary. You can root your stock froyo and install CM7 as well..

So let me get this straight, Titanium backup is for the phone contents like contacts, sms etc and Nandroid is the entire SBF right. NAndroid will be taken in Custom Recovery be fore I don anything nasty with the phone....and then I store it in a safe place for future reference a.k.a. warranty...

Export your phone contacts to SD card in .vcf format, so that you can import it both in MIUI/ CM7

Titanium backup is to take backup of your apps and settings, in case you flash OSes very frequently. I recommend you backup your .apk files of games and stuff and do a clean install..

AFA warranty is concerned, you just have to make sure you have the current official ROM of your country, when you present your phone in service center, which can be done by simple full sbf flash.. :)

Am n00b in Android but not Linux. So now if I take out my Microsd card from the old non-android phone and put it in the android one, will it require a format. My guess is I will have to format.... what is the FS in Android? is it ext3 or some thing else?

Well, in Android world I must say that SD card is a must for almost every operation you do, from taking photos to flashing ROMs. Your SD card FS should be FAT32 i think, which is recognized in windows. Android maybe based on Linux, but the funny thing is that all the supporting apps are for windows only.. :)

Installing MS2Ginger 2.3.4 by Walter79. Heard that it is a ported Milestone 2 GB and that battery backup is excellent. Will post my feelings (about this rom ;)) later :)

i find the official miui rom to be available in chinese language only...other English versions(us/uk etc) are unofficial releases only!....so if unofficial r they still full of bugs? & which version of miui to install "us" or "uk"...even if they have the same latest version number?

Also,...between "Beautiful" MIUI & "Stable" CM7, which do u find has the better battery efficiency?...which one retains battery power the longest? ....& which is also less buggy(least hiccups)?

* IMP- Also does cm7 or miui require a rooted phone or can i upgrade/install cm7/miui on a unrooted phone running on official stock froyo 2.2?.... further if its better to flash a nordic froyo b4 upgrading to cm7/miui,....can u guys provide the link to the official nordic froyo sbf which needs to b installed b4 doing al this experiments?

sunny27 said:
^^^^^^Link to the ROM and the installation method please.

This ROM is still in Beta. Can be found HERE. Instructions already given in the thread. Was using CM7. Just wiped everything in custom recovery and restored the Nand Backup and flashed the fixed sbf. You dont need to start the process from scratch. This ROM has motoblur and is pretty stable.
AsidXxx said:
Has anybody been able to get HD games running on their Defy?

Have played several like Medal of Honour, HD racing etc..
Techie#1 said:
i find the official miui rom to be available in chinese language only...other English versions(us/uk etc) are unofficial releases only!....so if unofficial r they still full of bugs? & which version of miui to install "us" or "uk"...even if they have the same latest version number?

Also,...between "Beautiful" MIUI & "Stable" CM7, which do u find has the better battery efficiency?...which one retains battery power the longest? ....& which is also less buggy(least hiccups)?

* IMP- Also does cm7 or miui require a rooted phone or can i upgrade/install cm7/miui on a unrooted phone running on official stock froyo 2.2?.... further if its better to flash a nordic froyo b4 upgrading to cm7/miui,....can u guys provide the link to the official nordic froyo sbf which needs to b installed b4 doing al this experiments?

The US, UK versions are only translated versions with some unneeded apps removed. No other changes. You can install the chineese version and language pack or the US version. Never tried the UK one. I found the battery efficiency to be almost similar in both roms but i felt that the latest CM7 SEA Nightly to have the best backup. Didnt test it a lot though. You will need a rooted phone with secondary bootmenu (i.e defy 2ndinit) installed to install these custom ROMS. I also feel you can flash this over the Indian froyo as i have seen several people do it and not encounter problems. You can find the Nordic ROM HERE.

Back