The Motorola Defy Thread

^^ Lemme check... "JRDNEM_U3_3.4.2_177-005_NORDIC_SIGN_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA03A.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNFRYORTNORD_P003_A001_HWp3_Service1FF.sbf"

Yes, that's the leaked Nordic one, and the base for Quarx's CM7.. I didn't know what went wrong during the process, but I flashed it like three times continuously, (because the latest nightly didn't boot) and the process screwed up on the 3rd time onwards (to another 3 times).

Finally I figured that I didn't do a factory reset from the stock recovery.. After that I tried to flash the Indian froyo and it worked.. What I understand is that, AFTER doing a flash with RSDlite, we have to do a factory reset and then proceed, especially when you are testing new ROMs again and again..

But like someone said, DEFY is very hard to brick.. :)

^^ what i understand from u is that....u tried to flash this particular nordic sbf with rsdlite & failed 3 times consecutively....after that u again flashed the phone with the official indian froyo 2.2 & did a factory reset...& therafter again flashed ur phone with the aforesaid nordic sbf & the last time was successful?.......so what this infers is for a successful flashing of the nordic sbf with rsdlite,i have to do a factory reset b4 & thearafter only begin flashing?

Also as u say the above is the leaked Nordic sbf.....is there any difference with the official nordic release?
Another question is that...the build number of the nordic sbf is older than the indian one...so does that affects the phone in anyway or gives any lesser functionalities?....in case i want to retain this nordic version without further installing of any custom roms!

Techie#1 said:
is this the file to get ,to install nordic 2.2 upon a indian official froyo 2.2 by rsdlite?
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

i got to know from xda forums that u had problems flashing this nordic froyo sbf, & the phone was not booting up properly....what happened?

Me? When was this? Must be some time back when I was a big noob to android.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Techie#1 said:
^^ what i understand from u is that....u tried to flash this particular nordic sbf with rsdlite & failed 3 times consecutively....after that u again flashed the phone with the official indian froyo 2.2 & did a factory reset...& therafter again flashed ur phone with the aforesaid nordic sbf & the last time was successful?.......so what this infers is for a successful flashing of the nordic sbf with rsdlite,i have to do a factory reset b4 & thearafter only begin flashing?

Also as u say the above is the leaked Nordic sbf.....is there any difference with the official nordic release?
Another question is that...the build number of the nordic sbf is older than the indian one...so does that affects the phone in anyway or gives any lesser functionalities?....in case i want to retain this nordic version without further installing of any custom roms!

Always flash sbf after a full wipe (data and cache in recovery) , else it will not boot. It has full functions as the Indian froyo.

@Kill : I've been screaming all over the xda forum for help, because of boot fail. He's mentioning that.. :D

It's the other way around actually. This is what I did exactly

1. I was on MIUI first and wanted to flash CM7 boot 179 nightly. I did a full wipe in recovery and flashed Nordic first

2. Since this one is a boot version, I installed it straight away after the nordic flash, but it didn't boot (got a rabbit and Moto logo)

3. I was not sure what the problem is, so I yanked the battery out and I flashed Nordic again (without wiping) and installed RC1 v2, DIDN'T wipe, installed boot 179 nightly, it again didn't boot

4. Tired of the process and now i decided to settle with RC1 v2, I again flashed Nordic (didn't wipe), but now it stuck in android bootlogo itself, the first time I encountered problem with Nordic,

5. So now, I panicked and flashed Nordic again after cooling down the batter and the phone, again it stuck in the android logo.

6. Around this time, some one suggested to do a factory reset as well as re-installing EVERYTHING, including drivers, RSDlite etc.

7. I did the same and only this time I flashed Indian froyo and voila, my phone is back.

What I learned is this, ALWAYS have updated drivers, ALWAYS do a full wipe after flashing from RSDlite, (and NEVER try a boot nightly - this one is for me)

Also I'd like to know one thing in 2nd init. Can we boot using 2nd boot instead of 2nd init?

I had a question about the India Froyo.. I got my phone with Froyo pre-installed (2.2.2 build:JEM_3.4.3-33-1)

Is this the buggy version that you guys were talking about initially? Cause I am getting really really bad battery back up (No data/bluetooth/wifi or games, just sms/ 10mins of calls) 15-16 and it's down to 20-15%..

or, do I have a bad battery?

I checked in the xda thread, and it mentions the current official froyo build to be 3.4.3-36-1.7 and the my build as "Pulled-Out Previous Release"

Could someone kindly clear up my confusion?

Thanks!

killmastern3 said:
Installing MS2Ginger 2.3.4 by Walter79. Heard that it is a ported Milestone 2 GB and that battery backup is excellent. Will post my feelings (about this rom ;)) later :)

Hw is the battery back up and stability.

Currently my MIUI 1.7.15 is giving around 30 hrs with heavy usage(2hrs calls, light SmS, 30 mins gamming, 6hrs wifi on, 6Hrs bluetooth on, 2 Hr's internet usage)
Also this build is very stable for me. Followed guide as it is. No wifi or bluetooth problems.

1 perfect noob question,...can i downgrade to official moto froyo 2.2 after upgrading to cm7 or miui w/o a nandroid backup, just by directly flashing the official indian moto froyo 2.2 sbf through rsd lite, for the warranty purpose?

Spy king said:
I had a question about the India Froyo.. I got my phone with Froyo pre-installed (2.2.2 build:JEM_3.4.3-33-1)
Is this the buggy version that you guys were talking about initially? Cause I am getting really really bad battery back up (No data/bluetooth/wifi or games, just sms/ 10mins of calls) 15-16 and it's down to 20-15%..
or, do I have a bad battery?

I checked in the xda thread, and it mentions the current official froyo build to be 3.4.3-36-1.7 and the my build as "Pulled-Out Previous Release"

Could someone kindly clear up my confusion?

Thanks!
According to Xda forum, as in here >> [SBF] OFFICIAL RE-RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA [RE-RELEASE!] - xda-developers , the latest official moto froyo 2.2 release for SEA15 including India is 3.4.3-36-1.7, but according to service flash collection here>> sbf:defy [And Developers] ,the Indian moto froyo appears to be JEM_3.4.3-33-1 only & the 3.4.3-36-1.7 is for Singapore.....So i'm confused also, though i'm on 3.4.3-36-1.7.! So which is the Correct Latest "Official" Moto Froyo ?

Bad that i didn't check which version i upgraded my defy to through MSU,until i sort of soft bricked the phone & flashed this indian mirror sbf 3.4.3-36-1.7 which i'm currently on!....Everything working perfect except battery backup is still Not Good..hardly makes much difference from 3.4.3-33-1 ,if i was on it ever!

My device came preloaded with 3.4.3-33-1 (June Manufactured) I just connected to to MSU and it downloaded the 3.4.3-36-1.7.. So I am guessing that is the latest "official" one!

I just hope the battery backup is better than the old version! The phone would freeze quite a few time too.. If this doesn't work, I will have to hurry up with the switch to Cm7.. wanted to wait at least for a few days to get familiar with android..

Don't forget to do a factory reset ( Power+ vol down during boot up, select factory reset ) after updating via MSU .. You'll get a much smoother experience.. :)

Techie#1 said:
According to Xda forum, as in here >> [SBF] OFFICIAL RE-RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA [RE-RELEASE!] - xda-developers , the latest official moto froyo 2.2 release for SEA15 including India is 3.4.3-36-1.7, but according to service flash collection here>> sbf:defy [And Developers] ,the Indian moto froyo appears to be JEM_3.4.3-33-1 only & the 3.4.3-36-1.7 is for Singapore.....So i'm confused also, though i'm on 3.4.3-36-1.7.! So which is the Correct Latest "Official" Moto Froyo ?

Bad that i didn't check which version i upgraded my defy to through MSU,until i sort of soft bricked the phone & flashed this indian mirror sbf 3.4.3-36-1.7 which i'm currently on!....Everything working perfect except battery backup is still Not Good..hardly makes much difference from 3.4.3-33-1 ,if i was on it ever!

That's correct. 3.4.3-36-1.7 is the Re-Release.. SEA includes Singapore as well. You'll get a better battery backup than the Eclair, but less than CM7. You need to undervolt your phone to get more battery. Using SetVSEL (after just rooting your official ROM) is one option or installing CM7 and setting them in the custom recovery is another. Both will get you good battery life.. Also consider calibrating the battery.. :)

Techie#1 said:
1 perfect noob question,...can i downgrade to official moto froyo 2.2 after upgrading to cm7 or miui w/o a nandroid backup, just by directly flashing the official indian moto froyo 2.2 sbf through rsd lite, for the warranty purpose?

Exactly.. You just need the full sbf and RSDlite..

I just update the phone and this sbf got created on the disk:

JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-36-1.7_CHINESE_SIGN_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B50AA03A.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNFRYORTINT15_P002_A014_HWp3_Service1FF.sbf

CRC32: E5026DFA
MD5: CBB422AF4679DB1DA7ECC38B420D17B7
SHA-1: 8060ABB9935EE70D81F6FE35FC5BD66D12DE4348
Is it useful file as in restoring phone for warranty purpose?
+LT

wolvish said:
That's correct. 3.4.3-36-1.7 is the Re-Release.. SEA includes Singapore as well. You'll get a better battery backup than the Eclair, but less than CM7. You need to undervolt your phone to get more battery. Using SetVSEL (after just rooting your official ROM) is one option or installing CM7 and setting them in the custom recovery is another. Both will get you good battery life.. Also consider calibrating the battery.. :)

Exactly.. You just need the full sbf and RSDlite..
Thanks much for the input my friend! :)

So, if, after installing cm7 or miui gingerbread ,sometimes latter, i get to know that moto officially released gingerbread for defy(which is but still a ? @ best), & i need to have stock official moto froyo 2.2 on the defy for the official "G.B" upgrade through MSU,...... then without thinking about anything else or doing any other thing...i can directly flash the FULL official Indian froyo (3.4.3-36-1.7 ) .sbf through rsdlite & downgrade directly to froyo 2.2 from cm7 or miui 2.3?...is that what u say here?

Also another thing,since u tasted both miui & cm7 by now, can u put in ur initial reactions for both of them...which u found better aesthetically as well as functionally?.....are there any bugs anywhere( or any functions NOT working) for both the latest official cm7 & official miui for the defy?. Also which one would u like to retain as ur working rom finally for now? & which is the Latest Stablest build/version of cm7/miui i should upgrade to?

Finally, as in ur case did u follow any guide "step-by-step" to upgrade ur defy to cm7or miui....if not, can u link me one which gives the EASIEST/simplest way for any idiot to follow as to install cm7/miui on the defy?

Techie#1 said:
So, if, after installing cm7 or miui gingerbread ,sometimes latter, i get to know that moto officially released gingerbread for defy(which is but still a ? @ best), & i need to have stock official moto froyo 2.2 on the defy for the official "G.B" upgrade through MSU,...... then without thinking about anything else or doing any other thing...i can directly flash the FULL official Indian froyo (3.4.3-36-1.7 ) .sbf through rsdlite & downgrade directly to froyo 2.2 from cm7 or miui 2.3?...is that what u say here?

Yes, that's correct. All you need is the full sbf of the official ROM, which is available in xda..

Also another thing,since u tasted both miui & cm7 by now, can u put in ur initial reactions for both of them...which u found better aesthetically as well as functionally?.....are there any bugs anywhere( or any functions NOT working) for both the latest official cm7 & official miui for the defy?. Also which one would u like to retain as ur working rom finally for now?

Killmastern could give you more inputs on those, because he has flashed almost every ROM out there in XDA.. :D. But I stayed with MIUI for like 2 months..

AFAIK, MIUI - Look and feel, CM7 - Performance. Although I like MIUI's music player, messaging and contacts. I also like the 'backup' feature, it's just like titanium backup..

Finally, as in ur case did u follow any guide "step-by-step" to upgrade ur defy to cm7or miui....if not, can u link me one which gives the EASIEST/simplest way for any idiot to follow as to install cm7/miui on the defy?

[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers

No worries mate, you'll become a defy expert in no time.. Follow that link and the parent DEFY xda sub forum..

P.S. - ALWAYS make sure that you don't lose power during RSDlite flash process and start with atleast 70% battery, otherwise you'll be in trouble..

That link has the guide and this one is the original Quarx thread. More discussion would be going on in here.. [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers

This one too (Read this later though).. SBF - Service Flash -files "READ THIS FIRST if you try to flash new stock sbf" - xda-developers

What would the best Cm7 version to flash? The RC1 v2? or one of the nightly builds?

Looking for something stable with good battery backup..

Back