The Motorola Defy Thread

Ok, allow me sometime to flash to the CM7.

Meanwhile give me a simple method to root. Does rooting erases the contacts & other stuff?

What about custom ROM? It should be erasing all the stuff right?

Cool G5 said:

Meanwhile give me a simple method to root. Does rooting erases the contacts & other stuff?

Rooting will not erase any phone data.. It's a safe process

Installing a custom ROM requires you to wipe the internal memory, so all the data will be lost there including Apps, contacts and settings/customization..

Stick to the procedure like glue and you'll be fine..

(swoooosh)

warewolf4586 said:
nandroid backup taken before flashing finally did the trick

yippi !!!!!

but again i am on my stock ROM (i think so) but it is working as a phone atleast.

Now how shud I proceed...shud I install a fixed SBF for nordic and than install CM7

or directly CM7 RC_1V2 widout fixed SBF ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Do i need to flash SBF again?

I did flashed full SBF again and ran nandroid backup

after that I flashed with fixed one.

Till now everything was ok

just after this I installed CM7 RC1_2

Now Vodafone network is not available.....

I can't get wt's happening

Just use baseband changer..This is small app. You can get it in XDA.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Cool G5 said:

Use Superoneclick to root - easiest. Just press root and it is done.

Rooting does not erase any thing. It only provides you Admin access.

Before installing any custom rom

1) Sync contacts, calender using goole sync

2) Take backup of SMS using sms backup app

3) Take backup of Apps using App monster. You can also use titanium backup to save Apps and their data also.

Most of the time installing custom Rom erases the data or you need to erase (Clear data) and install a new rom. So better take back up time to time.

You can also take a nandroid backup. This back's up every thing like a recovery disk.

Hi,

Since past few days I have observed high traffic usage on my phone! its averages around 250 mb for the last 7-8 days.

I am using 3g data monitor and my data manager to monitor traffic. I see the "Android system" is the highest traffic user!

"Android Sytem" consists of Cynogen settings and few other google services.

This started after I switched over to the latest nightlies, before that I was in CM7 RC0.

Any clues on whats happening? I have already exceeded my 3g quota for the month!

i am also facing a problem...i am using CM7 and the phone keeps restarting itself also it have problems finding network (tried both Airtel and Vodafone) this problem was there before i rooted and doesn't seems to go away. any help would be great :)

The manufacturing date listed on the box is August 2011 and it came with Android 2.2

Use Baseband Switcher App and set your repective GSM region.

Restarting issue might be due to an improper overclock.
Are you using Setvsel ??

Hey,

Need some feedback from other CM7 users..

I was looking at my battery stats, and noticed that the phone signal wasn't constant, but was on and off in blocks. Is this normal behavior? Or could be a reason for my battery drain?

PS: My sim is about 5-6 years old (Airtel) could that be an issue?

Here are some "Must Have Apps" that i would like to recommend to my fellow Defy users :

1. Advanced Task Manager/ Advanced Task Killer - For freeing up memory

2. MX Video Player - To watch your favourite movies and videos without converting them... It plays almost all the format except 720p videos which requires some 720p patch...

3. Firefox/ Opera Mini / Opera Mobile - Install these browsers if you dont like the stock android browser... Plus Opera mobile offers a feature called "select text"... By using it you can select text on any webpage just the way you can on an iPhone/iPod Touch

4. MIUI Audio Player - Its a pretty great app for music lovers... This app has iPod Touch/iPhone like user interface

5. Catch - Its a pretty handy app for creating notes... You can also save your passwords and personal notes and you can password protect them... Plus you can use it offline unlike evernote which requires internet connection

6. Merriam Webster Dictionary - Do you like to enhance your vocabulary? And do you feel embarrassed when someone uses a new word and you dont know the meaning of it? Use this app... A pretty useful app...

7. Ringdroid - Do you like to have ringtones of new songs to impress your friends? By using this phone you can make ringtone of any song on your phone...

8. Flashlight - Pretty useful app which can turn your defy into a torch...

9. Speedtest - A pretty useful app to check speed of your Wifi / 3G connection

10. Norton Mobile Security Lite - Would keep you safe from viruses...

Guys if you know some good apps/games for defy then do let me know i would include those apps in this list :)

dexBG said:
Use Baseband Switcher App and set your repective GSM region.

Restarting issue might be due to an improper overclock.

Are you using Setvsel ??

was not able to fond that app in the market also can ya tell me which baseband to subscribe to ?

i havent overclocked it i just rooted it (page 34) with CM 7and no i am not using Setvsel

update: changed baseband to GSM only but still the restart problem is there

Punker said:
wipe cache and re-install CM 7

will do it tomorrow evening :) saw that many people around the world faced this particular problem.Some solved it by changing the sim card (i have tried both airtel and Vodafone) but it never worked for me...if everything fails will do a recovery to stock rom and will give it to the service center on saturday....sad thing is that i got it yesterday only :(

linuxtechie said:
I am kind of hooked up with WajkIUI and um nope am not going to CM7 or anything else. Best of both the worlds CM7, MIUI :)

+LT

Same here.... want to try out MotoGinger...but am hooked to WIUI .... is there anyway to edit that lockscreenn..... need to insert a silent mode icon on it.

NDragger said:
I'm on CM7 can i flash MotoGinger directly by wiping cache/data ?

Oh no .... for Motoginger .... first downgrade to Froyo stock and then Nand+fixed sbf for Motoginger

Hey guyz, you gotta help me with this now.

1)the earphone jack wont go in completely ? The voice is ok but still , looks awkward . Is this common ?

2)Phone wont go in USB mass storage mode 8 out 10 times.

3)The back panel looks not tight, from the lock side, is this common also ?

4)is it possible to re install same android (without rooting or modding anything) like reinstall same f/w in nokia phones

1 more problem. My phone is mostly on wifi, but i got GPRS activated on it also , since i was using AVG and it would help me track my phone when i dont hav wifi connection. Now the things is that , other apps keeps on using this GPRS when wifi is not enabled, i just notice , i have lost around Rs.45 from mobile balance and data usage in phone has gone up also. Kindly help and let me know if there is a way i can stop all widgets/emails/apps except AVG(so that it can track my phone) from using GPRS.

For now i had to make a fake APN(acess point name).

thank you

Hello. Does anyone know why the camera's picture quality is so bad on custom 2.3 roms as compared with the stock 2.2?

I'm currently on CM7 and i find the quality of the pictures taken when on stock 2.2 to be far better than the current pics.

Have WajkIUI too with same problem.

Hi can someone please direct me on how to restore Defy to its original ROM. I think i will need to send it to service center for its restarting problems. Please help

Back