The Motorola Defy Thread

Guys
I am facing a rather unique problem with my 2nd defy just 4 days old. The thing is when I am talking on phone with someone I can hear my own voice what I am speaking through the earpiece. Let me make it clear that it is not an echo problem. It is almost instantaneous. And it is very disconcerting talking to anyone. I have tried different service provider. Also I have this problem on both stock froyo and cm7 rc1. Any solution or anyone facing similar problem?

Can anyone please comment on the situation that I am facing. The phone is manufactured August 2011. I called up moto helpline.The stupid guy over there told me to do "factory reset". I obviously told him to get lost. just j/k.any solutions in sight. The 1st defy that I have is working ok.This new one is creating problems.Both on CM7 RC1

ok , i have learned how to flash and all now. Thank you soooo much everyone. But am planning to stick on stock. Now help me with this. It sync my contacts from google. Now i have about 250+ contacts. SOme contacts have numbers and other details (i need these one) and others are just email ids like supprt@xyz.com.

I want to delete these others , but i have to do them manually. Any way i can select them or some tool ?? Or do i have to do it one by one ?

Thank you

killmastern3 said:
[/COLOR]

1. Start with Froyo(any). Download the rom, unzip it and put it in sd card ---> clockworkmod---> backup. Create both the folders if it isn't there.

2. Download Defy 2nd init from Market. You need to have the latest version, hence install from market.

3. Once installed, you will directly go to the secondary bootmenu. Here, wipe cache and data. No need to set default boot and such that you do for cm7

4. Go to Backup and Restor --- > Advanced Restore --- >System (you will have 3 or 4 options uch as boot etc. Select the file you have downloaded and select YES. This will restore the system files.

5. Reboot. Immediately press Vol+ to go to the Bootmenu. Here flash the fixed sbf(it will be in the downloaded zip. the zip will contain fixed sbf and the nand backup) using RSD lite. This is just like installing froyo.

6. Now go to stock recovery (Power + Vol-) and wipe cache and data. Reboot and enjoy. :)

PS: Any clarifications please ask.

Thanks killmastern3 :hap2:
1. Start with Froyo(any)--> will Nordic do? that we flash with RSD Lite while flashing CM7 ?

2.Download Defy 2nd init from Market. You need to have the latest version, hence install from market. --> No need to Root the phone ?

3.Do we need to download Clockworkmod ?

4.fixed sbf size around 16MB right ?

my contact photo have very small and bad resolution ...............

they are not clear at all as they used to be on my iphone ! help

some help me with my contact list.

I dont want contacts with just email on them. Kya karuu ??? cant go on delting each one. 300+, Got a application. Was deleting , not it says del limit exeeced. Options

Dele

Undo Delete

Later

???

Is there any Defy owner who has owned a Nokia 5800 Xpress music before? Can someone comment on the difference in the audio and camera quality between the two. I listen to music with PL30 and take a lot of photographs. Is it anything compared to dedicated mp3 players. What about with a FiiO E3?

Am screwed , someone helpe me.

I installed CM7 Rc1. Wifi seems to be having some trouble. AM planning to go on stock 2.2 froyo.

How do i do that ?

I have taken back up of nandroid back up. Someone plesae tell me should i just ur rsdlite and flash the stock 2.2 sbf file ?

or do i need to do something else?

thnk you

baccilus said:
What about Defy's sound quality with good IEMs? Can anyone comment on that? And if FiiO E3 is used with it?

i can't comment on Defy's sound quality with a good IEM... but yes it has great stereo speakers which produces very clear sound... clearer than most cellphones available in the market... But as i own this cell phone i would like to share some pros and cons of it...

Pros :

1. It has a great responsive touchscreen just like iphone or iPod touch
2. Defy has a good stereo speaker which produces crisp and clear sound
3. Pretty rugged so its very durable...
4. The userinterface is pretty responsive

Cons :

1. It has a shittiest screen... If you have used any retina display phone or AMOLED+ phone then you would feel really disappointed after buying this phone... Plus you would notice a lot of color banding...
2. Shittiest camera... My N73 has better camera than this phone which produces pretty decent pics...
3. Sometimes you would hear your own voice while talking to some people... I haven't faced this earpiece problem very frequently but yeah i have faced it once...
4. Angry Birds game lag a little bit... But this issue can be resolved if you would overclock the defy's processor to 1GHz or upgrade to Gingerbread (CM7)

See if you can spend a little more money than i would advice you to go with Nexus S... :)

Thanks a lot hades. Repped ya. camera quality is important too for me. I will definitely think of getting a better phone then. I will also consider the new Sony Experia, unless it is too bulky (which it seems from the specs)

baccilus said:
Thanks a lot hades. Repped ya. camera quality is important too for me. I will definitely think of getting a better phone then. I will also consider the new Sony Experia, unless it is too bulky (which it seems from the specs)

I would advice you to go with Nexus S as it has Wolfson DAC (would be good for your IEM needs) and its gonna get Icecream Sandwich update... :) Plus it comes with 16GB internal memory which i think would be enough for you plus it has PowerVR SGX540 GPU which i think would be able to handle 720p movies... Yeah i forgot to mention one con of Defy that it really can't handle 720p movies/music videos.... I have heard that this issue can be resolved if one would upgrade to CM7 and would install some 720p patch... :)

baccilus said:
What about Defy's sound quality with good IEMs? Can anyone comment on that? And if FiiO E3 is used with it?

i use it with klipsch s4i and along with POWERAMP app .....it is awesome :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sunny27 said:
Install Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread CyanogenMod 7 on Motorola Defy in 20 easy steps :

Software Requires:

• RSD Lite - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

• Android froyo.sbf file - JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-33-1_CHINESE_SIGN_SIGNED.zip

• SuperOneClick v1.7 - SuperOneClickv1.7.rar

• CyanogenMod 7 ROM for Motorola Defy from XDA-Developers - [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers

• Google Apps for the CyanogenMod 7 from CyanogenMod.com - Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Step for install CyanogenMod 7 on Motorola Defy

1. [Computer], Install RSD Lite and open it.

2. [Defy] Power off your phone, then pressing power button and Volume Up keys.

3. [Computer], On the RSD Lite you should browse the .sbf file then click start.

4. Wait until the flash process completed.

5. [Defy], go to settings -> Applications -> Development -> check the USB debugging.

6. [Computer], Extract and run SuperOneClick then click Root.

7. Wait until root process completed.

8. [Defy], Go to market and install Defy 2ndinit.

9. Open Defy 2ndinit and install 2ndInit Recovery.

10. After it succeeds the top LED will green, then go to settings -> Applications -> Development -> uncheck the USB debugging.

11. Reboot your device 2 time.

12. [Computer], Copy CyanogenMod 7 for Defy and Google Apps to root of your SD card.

13. [Defy], Reboot your device, when the blue led lights at Motorola logo, press Volume Down to enter Bootmenu.

14. Go to “Set Default Bootmode†then select [2ND INIT BOOT].

15. Go to “[Custom Recovery] startâ€.

16. You should to take a backup of the existing ROM using the Backup option.

17. Select “wipe cache partition†then “wipe data/factory resetâ€.

18. Select “install zip from sdcardâ€, “choose zip from sdcardâ€, then select “cm7.1.0-RC1-jordan-signed.zipâ€

19. Select “choose zip from sdcard†then select “gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zipâ€

20. Select “+++++Go Back++++++†then “reboot your system nowâ€.

please explain second step ,,

do we have to connect it to pc during this step ...........

and power on the phone while pressing volume up key ?

^^Power+ Vol up will take you to the bootloader mode (just like a cmd prompt window of windows). In that mode, you can flash sbf files (fixed or full). And Yes you have to be connected to the PC, so that RSD lite software recognizes your phone..

Power+Vol down will take you to Motorola recovery, where you can do a factory reset, or apply any zip updates. But a custom recovery has more options and is widely used while flashing ROMs..

Just try to do both once. It won't harm your phone.. :)

talrejaheeru said:
Installed Cm7

now getting this error :(

Sometimes these FCs happen, try to flash a latest stable nightly from CM7 page of XDA developers, it should help..

Or else try to wipe cache and dalvik cache in advanced recovery. That might help as well..

Back