The Motorola Defy Thread

cm7 installed ..........but battery life is not goood ..........

only using beautiful widgets super clock !

which rom is best for BATTERY BACKUP

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

how to install WIUI rom .........i m currently on CM7 .

^battery life in miui is better then cm7. But the performance better in cm7. Basically android has bad battery life. Just keep data switched off when ya are not using it and get 20% extra. Even the new nightly lasts 10 hours for me but with pretty heavy use.

hbksabhi said:
cm7 installed ..........but battery life is not goood ..........

only using beautiful widgets super clock !

which rom is best for BATTERY BACKUP

how to install WIUI rom .........i m currently on CM7 .

Reboot

Press Vol- when you see blue LED Light which will land you to Custom Recovery

Recovery-->Custom Recovery--->wipe data and cache then install from .zip

make sure you also flash language .zip

i think WIUI is better as Compared to MIUI

WIUI = CM7 + MIUI :eek:hyeah:

hbksabhi said:
no need to do root n froyo flash agai n.......after all this moddding and all can i go back to froyo 2.2.2 ??

no need to repeat the whole process again just wipe data and cache flash MIUI :)

yes you can go back to Froyo :)

Ughh, guys I just installed amzer anti glare (frosted) screen guard on my defy. Installation smooth with one bubble. Unfortunately I don't like the 'feel' it is giving, more papery type then say wet skins. Also the fact that near the earpiece the sp was not cut well ie it was irregular.
So in short I think 'screen ward ' is better then amzer in this respect that you don't lose touch of the glass screen.

guys I am planning to get Defy, it will be first Android+touchscreen phone for me. Should I wait for Defy+ ( 1700mAh battery,official android 2.3)...Now I am seeing that (Flipkart,letsbuy,ebay), all defy models are coming with Froyo. How bad official Froyo in compare to other similar phones like - Galaxy ace or wildfire? I will prefer to be on stock Froyo for initial couple of months. My main usage will be - google calender, games, reading pdfs, social networking ,browsing-html,youtube ( also 30+ mnts calling ). I read in this thread, it some problem in syncing facebook contact with phone contact ( due to unfinished code in 2.1 which passed to 2.2 too :( ) - can we fix it with any other 3rd party apps? Due you think Defy will support ( officially or unofficially) Android Icecream Sandwich later on ?? Thanks in advanced

//I am amazed with the support and fanbase of this phone

hi satya,

I dont think waiting for Defy+ is worth it. You can get that extra 200 MHz (stable) using root phone+setvsl or installing CM7. So you'd end up paying extra 3-4 grand just for the higher capacity battery. And battery life of defy isn't that bad anyway. You just have to be careful about your data usage. more the apps running on 3g more they suck battery out. My defy came with froyo and trust me when I say there is no lag at all. and I never go looking for how my phone performs. I just use it on a normal day to day basis and I have never observer any lag yet. I have used a wildfire and would recommend to stay away from it. Its only the sense UI that makes it any good. apart from that defy beats it in every other department. Galaxy Ace : I seriously dont like the low res screen. And also its build cheap. You can hardly make any difference between a dummy piece and a demo model. But yes defy sold in india doesnt have the motoblur account feature. And facebook sync doesnt work. Maybe the custom roms have fixed it. But if syncing facebook to contacts is the only thing that matters then there are apps out there. FYI facebook app works flawlessly on defy. I dont think we're gonna get ICS on defy but i'm damn sure its gonna meet all your requirements.

NOTE : Have any of you tried "DC Comics" app from market? It is AWSOME :)

satyanjoy said:
guys I am planning to get Defy, it will be first Android+touchscreen phone for me. Should I wait for Defy+ ( 1700mAh battery,official android 2.3)...Now I am seeing that (Flipkart,letsbuy,ebay), all defy models are coming with Froyo. How bad official Froyo in compare to other similar phones like - Galaxy ace or wildfire? I will prefer to be on stock Froyo for initial couple of months. My main usage will be - google calender, games, reading pdfs, social networking ,browsing-html,youtube ( also 30+ mnts calling ). I read in this thread, it some problem in syncing facebook contact with phone contact ( due to unfinished code in 2.1 which passed to 2.2 too :( ) - can we fix it with any other 3rd party apps? Due you think Defy will support ( officially or unofficially) Android Icecream Sandwich later on ?? Thanks in advanced

//I am amazed with the support and fanbase of this phone

Serioudly dude. I too have used an amzer. the screenguard feels really good on touch. but its kills the joy of the display. the frosty feel kinda getting on my nerves now. did you find any better screenguard?

aka911 said:
Ughh, guys I just installed amzer anti glare (frosted) screen guard on my defy. Installation smooth with one bubble. Unfortunately I don't like the 'feel' it is giving, more papery type then say wet skins. Also the fact that near the earpiece the sp was not cut well ie it was irregular.

So in short I think 'screen ward ' is better then amzer in this respect that you don't lose touch of the glass screen.

I dont think waiting for Defy+ is worth it. You can get that extra 200 MHz (stable) using root phone+setvsl or installing CM7. So you'd end up paying extra 3-4 grand just for the higher capacity battery. And battery life of defy isn't that bad anyway. Galaxy Ace : I seriously dont like the low res screen. And also its build cheap. You can hardly make any difference between a dummy piece and a demo model.

+1 on that..

Use contapps for better facebook sync..

Dual OS rom for Defy!! see here
Not very stable now and is on 2.2 but its a start :eek:hyeah:

PS: I was not able to find a dual OS post earlier or atleast Google could not, so dont come all guns blazing at me :)

Neo Anderson said:
hi satya,

I dont think waiting for Defy+ is worth it. You can get that extra 200 MHz (stable) using root phone+setvsl or installing CM7. So you'd end up paying extra 3-4 grand just for the higher capacity battery. And battery life of defy isn't that bad anyway. You just have to be careful about your data usage. more the apps running on 3g more they suck battery out. My defy came with froyo and trust me when I say there is no lag at all. and I never go looking for how my phone performs. I just use it on a normal day to day basis and I have never observer any lag yet. I have used a wildfire and would recommend to stay away from it. Its only the sense UI that makes it any good. apart from that defy beats it in every other department. Galaxy Ace : I seriously dont like the low res screen. And also its build cheap. You can hardly make any difference between a dummy piece and a demo model. But yes defy sold in india doesnt have the motoblur account feature. And facebook sync doesnt work. Maybe the custom roms have fixed it. But if syncing facebook to contacts is the only thing that matters then there are apps out there. FYI facebook app works flawlessly on defy. I dont think we're gonna get ICS on defy but i'm damn sure its gonna meet all your requirements.

NOTE : Have any of you tried "DC Comics" app from market? It is AWSOME :)

Serioudly dude. I too have used an amzer. the screenguard feels really good on touch. but its kills the joy of the display. the frosty feel kinda getting on my nerves now. did you find any better screenguard?

you hit the bulls eye dude,,DC Comics --- hell yeah,, I will also want to try cbr format to read comics- any decent decent cbr reader apps ?? One of the major reason of buying an Android phone is -- its integrate with your google account- so i can sync my calender and gmail and gtalk well. Secondly the social networking thing,,I want to upload pic,geotag them,upload vid direct from our phone without any hassle- and want to be tab on whats going on with my networking while calling someone by checking their, facebook,google+ or orkut..Also gaming is also major usage in my phone - best time killer for me. I just just the demo of contapps- seems cool, so this app can replace the default contact app of android ? BTW does the CM7 rom fixed the facebook sync problem ? I hope once the Defy+ launched, we can use the official 2.3 rom for the old defy

wolvish said:
+1 on that..

Use contapps for better facebook sync..

anyone knows which widget is this ?

screen201108132146copia.png

See DC Comics app is basically a comics hub where you can buy and download stuff. They also have a small bunch of free ones. And trust me when I say they are AWSOME. the transition between pages. the display. all are amazing. havent tried any other cbr reader so far but am pretty confident android market must have them. and about being connected to the cloud. apart from picasa there isnt any google service which doesnt work seamlessly on defy. calender, gmail, gltalk, google plus, google maps, google goggles, google reader, you name it. and talking about gaming. I'm not really up for the ubercool 3d graphics churning phones. if I plan to play a fps then i'd anyday choose a pc over a phone. phone gaming mostly means to me as small addictive games. I have angry birds, fruit ninja, paper toss, yooninja, opensudoku, pool master pro, backbreaker, blowup, cut the rope, farm frenzy, geared, paper glider. all of them run like butter and keep me pretty busy when i'm bored. have rock player installed and it can play all dvd rips or tv shows. I hvnt installed any custom roms yet. so cant really say if cm7 is gonna fix the facebook sync. I have a strong feeling that when defy+ comes out with gingerbread then we might get a gb rolledout too.

satyanjoy said:
you hit the bulls eye dude,,DC Comics --- hell yeah,, I will also want to try cbr format to read comics- any decent decent cbr reader apps ?? One of the major reason of buying an Android phone is -- its integrate with your google account- so i can sync my calender and gmail and gtalk well. Secondly the social networking thing,,I want to upload pic,geotag them,upload vid direct from our phone without any hassle- and want to be tab on whats going on with my networking while calling someone by checking their, facebook,google+ or orkut..Also gaming is also major usage in my phone - best time killer for me. I just just the demo of contapps- seems cool, so this app can replace the default contact app of android ? BTW does the CM7 rom fixed the facebook sync problem ? I hope once the Defy+ launched, we can use the official 2.3 rom for the old defy

Just went through Motoginger and MSGinger...... awesome ... both of them..... unfortunately ...for some strange reason..... Dead Space keeps fricking crashing on it.... so went back to WIUI and its working wonderfully....

ahve to say... chainfire 3d is one the most important apps to be installed if you want to play games....

just tried it...... pro version... because it gives options for MSAA 4x and 16x .... played DS with 4x MSAA and wow! it looks even better.... without OC and all it still gives good fps and no jerks.... I seem to get better performance with WIUI than CM7!

anyway now t otry jboogies rom

PS: Anyone know a good app to back up my contacts..... I separate them into groups primarily for the purpose of not letting my non-veg sms's go to veg people ;) and everytime I chagne a ROM the groups go bust :facepalm: neither WIUI backup nor GoSMS PRO store a backup of groups....

I am getting an Amzer screen protector....is it good....and that gel cover for it(black)

hbksabhi said:
i use it with klipsch s4i and along with POWERAMP app .....it is awesome

where and for how much did you buy the Klipsch s4i?

and this phone is awesome..... your sound quality will depend first on your music's quality.... use a custom rom ... the njust use .FLAC files and a good pair of IEM's :) and you are good to go.

Does anyone know about 720p recording on WIUI or CM 7?

where and for how much did you buy the Klipsch s4i?

u can buy frm ebay for 4k i guess !

best rom for battery life ???

my cm7 is sucking 50% + battery on display even on low brightness !

Neo Anderson said:
See DC Comics app is basically a comics hub where you can buy and download stuff. They also have a small bunch of free ones. And trust me when I say they are AWSOME. the transition between pages. the display. all are amazing. havent tried any other cbr reader so far but am pretty confident android market must have them. and about being connected to the cloud. apart from picasa there isnt any google service which doesnt work seamlessly on defy. calender, gmail, gltalk, google plus, google maps, google goggles, google reader, you name it. and talking about gaming. I'm not really up for the ubercool 3d graphics churning phones. if I plan to play a fps then i'd anyday choose a pc over a phone. phone gaming mostly means to me as small addictive games. I have angry birds, fruit ninja, paper toss, yooninja, opensudoku, pool master pro, backbreaker, blowup, cut the rope, farm frenzy, geared, paper glider. all of them run like butter and keep me pretty busy when i'm bored. have rock player installed and it can play all dvd rips or tv shows. I hvnt installed any custom roms yet. so cant really say if cm7 is gonna fix the facebook sync. I have a strong feeling that when defy+ comes out with gingerbread then we might get a gb rolledout too.
-- right on spot,,nice to meet like minded people here.. I am getting it in letsbuy for 14399 with jabra bluetooth headset with coupons,,I will check tomorrow locally if i get with similar kind of deal here in Bangalore..BTW what is the deal with red,green colored lens ?

Grrr. The voice quality problem on defy still irritating. It exists for me both in stock and custom rom. Also I have tried different networks. The earpiece on my end sounds screechy while the people I call report echo problem. Guess I have no option but to take it to service Centre. Any Idea about the service center in Delhi? Are they competent enough? I have a feeling I will have hard time explaining my problem to them.....

Back