The Motorola Defy Thread

Need a bit of help. my defy isn't getting charged from the wall unit. I have to connect it to the pc everytime i need to charge it, and it takes alot of time to charge from pc

Has anyone else faced similar problem? how can i resolve it

Though its pretty obvious but as you haven't stated it, did you check by connecting a different charger which works on another handset ?

Has anyone upgraded to ICS from Epsylon or Quarx from XDA? How stable is the ROM for daily use? Is the Camera/Wifi/Video Recording/HD movies playback/Hardware acceleration working properly?

Btw I upgraded my memory card to this :-

This works perfectly with my Defy. The other compatible 32 Gb cards are Transcend Class 10 & 4, Sandisk Class 6 Ultra and class 4, Kingston class 4 and class 10, Samsung class 10. All these have been tested by me on my own phone and the phones of my colleagues (Motorola Defy+)

I tried both the builds by Quarks and Epsylon, not much difference feature wise. They both DON'T have working camcorder/panorama, 5Mar build by quarks had 2D acceleration but it was buggy and chrome and flash player didn't work. No other version since then has 2D HWA. Other than that the latest builds are pretty stable.

I switched back to my stable MIUI since without HWA there isn't much I'm missing in my ICS themed MIUI
<

Guys I want to switch from CM7.1 to something else. MIUI perhaps? I prefer an ICS skin if possible. Any recommendations? and tell me how
<

Thnx a bunch
<

My Defy+'s glossy coating next to the screen is peeling away without any rough use. Anyone else facing the same problem ?

The phone is hardly 5 months old.

Guys does flashing a full SBF unroot the device? I am giving it for a service.

Just remove the SuperUser application from the phone and flash the offical froyo SBF
And even that guy at the service center won't be able to tell whether its rooted or not !!

Guys. I need help; facing a peculiar issue. I have noticed that my battery shows a sudden drop.

Setup :
Defy Green Lens
CM7.1 RC0 > CM 7.2 RC1 > CM7.2 latest nightly (yesterday)

CM7.1 : No issue

CM7.2 : ( Not sure but after few weeks) Earlier it would drop from 37% -> 19% with a few seconds. Then I noticed the same 15% drop in the range of 80%.
During both such drops it didn't matter if there was high CPU usage or not, phone was hot or not? Another strange thing - battery reading in CM7.2 would differ than Power Off reading.
I tried to
1) Calibrate the battery.
2) Did a factory reset
But nothing happened

CM7.2 latest nightly : The 37%>19% is still there, although rest remained smooth.

Does this look like battery issue? Any suggestions for a replacement battery. I noticed OEM BF5X on ebay for around 1500 bucks. Is that ok to buy.

@mk76
Why do you think this a battery issue ?? I dnt think you need a replacement as of yet because everything seems fine when you are running CM7.1
Its just an issue with CM 7.2

Here is what you can do,go back to CM7.1 and test the ROM for a day,then probably install something like WIUI or MIUI which has stable versions
(I'm on WIUI with the GB stable version) You can test WIUI/MIUI for a day or two...This will help you determine whether its actually a physical battery issue or just a s/w glitch

Well as far as my observations go,its just the ROM that is acting weird
Did you try wiping cache/Dalvik cache/Battery Stats/Android_secure after the new nightly install ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehehehe....Corrupted indian minds think alike :p

Oh btw, completely forgot to update here. It worked, but buggers charged me for LCD replacement. But I got them to change the touch screen even though there was nothing majorly wrong with it. And since I upgraded to One X, I sold it to a fellow TEian

Oh btw, completely forgot to update here. It worked, but buggers charged me for LCD replacement. But I got them to change the touch screen even though there was nothing majorly wrong with it. And since I upgraded to One X, I sold it to a fellow TEian

Ohhh....bloddy idiots
Even i shifted to Galaxy Nexus but i will be using defy during monsoons....:eek:

mk76
Why do you think this a battery issue ?? I dnt think you need a replacement as of yet because everything seems fine when you are running CM7.1
Its just an issue with CM 7.2

Here is what you can do,go back to CM7.1 and test the ROM for a day,then probably install something like WIUI or MIUI which has stable versions
(I'm on WIUI with the GB stable version) You can test WIUI/MIUI for a day or two...This will help you determine whether its actually a physical battery issue or just a s/w glitch

Well as far as my observations go,its just the ROM that is acting weird
Did you try wiping cache/Dalvik cache/Battery Stats/Android_secure after the new nightly install ??

Good point. I did not wipe anything after I installed the nightly. However I assume if I do all 4 -
1) Cache
2) Dalvik
3) Battery Stats
4) Android_secure ( Not sure of this one )
then it will erase all apps/msg etc. (I have no issue with that though).

2 questions

1) How do I downgrade from C7.2( GB kernel 2.6.32.9) to CM 7.1
2) I also thought of installing CM9, but was pushed back because the ROM need froyo kernel only. Not sure how can I downgrade from GB to Froyo.

Thanks.

Good point. I did not wipe anything after I installed the nightly. However I assume if I do all 4 -
1) Cache
2) Dalvik
3) Battery Stats
4) Android_secure ( Not sure of this one )
then it will erase all apps/msg etc. (I have no issue with that though).

2 questions

1) How do I downgrade from C7.2( GB kernel 2.6.32.9) to CM 7.1
2) I also thought of installing CM9, but was pushed back because the ROM need froyo kernel only. Not sure how can I downgrade from GB to Froyo.

Thanks.
@mk76
As far as i know,CM7.1 and CM7.2 use the same kernel so you can just take a backup for your SMS's and WIPE Everything(Use SMS Backup and Restore)
Flash CM7.1 and test it
If you still have doubts about the Kernel version and its incompatibility,first flash this kernel - CM7 Kernel

Now,I have even tested CM9 from Epsylon3 for the froyo kernel(CM7 Kernel) and it just works great,can be used as a daily ROM but certain things like video recording and Panaorama don't work
Then there is Quarx's GB kernel versions as well,so in case you decide to go for CM9 with GB kernel then first flash this kernel - CM9 Kernel
And then flash CM9 GB Kernel version,make sure you wipe everything when flashing a new ROM i.e shifting between different roms

If you are just upgrading from a nightly built of CM7.1 then no need for a data wipe just the cache/Dalvik cache/Battery stats is needed
Hope this helps !!

U have Defy + Gnex, I am going for OneX + a truly rugged basic phone. LOL. Both of us are practical to say the least :)
@hahahari
Hahahah,yea pratical enough to understand what a particular situation demands...cheers mate !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Yash , for the clarification.

1) I flashed Froyo SBF (JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-36-1.7.sbf) and tried to monitor the battery drain. But to my surprise, the rom was not stable. After 2 restarts, I was stuck on 'M' logo
2) I thought of flashing CM9, so got the latest nightly(froyo kernel CM9-NIGHTLY-120613-Defy.zip ) + gapps + CM7 and CM9 kernel both. as iniitally I was not sure, which one to use.
3) Flashed SBF + CM9 + CM7 kernel + gapps to get it working ( Got the working combination in 4th time. for the remaining it was boot loop)

The sudden battery drop is still there.

As you are too on CM9, can you tell me how to get calender option in Account & Sync. I get only Mail + Contacts but no calendar.

Thanks Yash , for the clarification.

1) I flashed Froyo SBF (JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-36-1.7.sbf) and tried to monitor the battery drain. But to my surprise, the rom was not stable. After 2 restarts, I was stuck on 'M' logo
2) I thought of flashing CM9, so got the latest nightly(froyo kernel CM9-NIGHTLY-120613-Defy.zip ) + gapps + CM7 and CM9 kernel both. as iniitally I was not sure, which one to use.
3) Flashed SBF + CM9 + CM7 kernel + gapps to get it working ( Got the working combination in 4th time. for the remaining it was boot loop)

The sudden battery drop is still there.

As you are too on CM9, can you tell me how to get calender option in Account & Sync. I get only Mail + Contacts but no calendar.

Hmmmm,battery drain prob.....strange
Im actually on WIUI GB(Stable) and i have no issues whtsoever....maybe try that out
For the base ROM i used nordic's full sbf,u can try tht as well....

Back