The Motorola Defy Thread

i installed cm9 .......but its recovery doest work .....not able to install any other rom as rsd does not recognize phone while phone is in bootloader

I had installed Cm9 and now, I am back to MIUI, recovery worked flawlessly for me, try using stable instead of latest in recovery menu.

Can we install a defy+ CM9 rom on defy? I will install the 7th Dec ICS ROM and Then update to latest Defy+ rom, will this work?

My Defy is still on 2.1 as i read somewhere that the official 2.2 has some problems. So if i want to keep my warranty? Which ROM should i switch to?

Aman27deep said:
My Defy is still on 2.1 as i read somewhere that the official 2.2 has some problems. So if i want to keep my warranty? Which ROM should i switch to?

try CM7 first for warranty flash fixed sbf with RSD Lite anytime :)

Aman27deep said:

What kind of problems exactly?

I'm running the official 2.2.2 release, so I'd be happy to look it up. I've been using the device for over 2 weeks now and haven't experienced any issues (TW).

The one day battery life is kind of a downer but I can live with that.

Called Motorola today. They are open on All days except public holiday ,, great.

They said everything that comes with the phone including the phone has 1 year of warranty, battery + charges+ usb + headphones. Another Great News.

Now i just installed CM 7.1 on my defy. But i am not getting any reception.

Which setting should i choose from Defy baseBand Switcher?

SOmeone plz answer quick. My phone is without any network right now.

Thank you

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I selected International from EPAC(wtever it was).

Connection is strong. But Wifi signal is very weak. Is that because of the Baseband?

Just a few secs ago it was fine.

comp@ddict said:
^^ how old is your defy?

I say chuck and go CM7.2

May 2011.

NDragger said:
try CM7 first for warranty flash fixed sbf with RSD Lite anytime :)

You'll have to link me and tell me better cause i'm a noob!

thetoxicmind said:
What kind of problems exactly?

I'm running the official 2.2.2 release, so I'd be happy to look it up. I've been using the device for over 2 weeks now and haven't experienced any issues (TW).

The one day battery life is kind of a downer but I can live with that.

A friend has the same phone, and as he's an android developer i was taking his word for it. I dunno what problem's, but he told me stock 2.1 phone's upgraded to 2.2 have some problems.

Himanshunegi198 said:
Called Motorola today. They are open on All days except public holiday ,, great.

They said everything that comes with the phone including the phone has 1 year of warranty, battery + charges+ usb + headphones. Another Great News.

Now i just installed CM 7.1 on my defy. But i am not getting any reception.

Which setting should i choose from Defy baseBand Switcher?

SOmeone plz answer quick. My phone is without any network right now.

Thank you

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I selected International from EPAC(wtever it was).

Connection is strong. But Wifi signal is very weak. Is that because of the Baseband?

Just a few secs ago it was fine.

Install baseband switcher patch from xda

@Aman27deep No 2.2.2 doesn't have any problems as far as I know. Here's how to upgrade:

Go to stock recovery by pressing power+volume down when the phone is turned off. In the stock recovery, touch the bottom-right corner of the screen to bring up the menu. Wipe Data/Cache. Turn off the phone.

Next go here: sbf:defy [And Developers]. Here you will find all the sbf files for Defy. Under "2.2.2 Service Flashes" download either the nordic sbf, or the indian sbf. There really isn't much difference but the Nordic sbf is recommended for installing custom roms.

Flash the SBF using RSD Lite: RSDLite - download here by connecting via USB and entering bootloader mode buy pressing power and volume up button when the phone is turned off.

Done! :)

To install custom ROM like CM7:

1. First, root your phone using SuperOneClick. This tutorial should do : How To Root Motorola Defy With SuperOneClick. Note some important points such as having to turn USB debugging on. If you have any queries ask. :)
  2. Next download 2ndinit 1.4.2: [APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v2.0 [Updated: 23-November-2011] - xda-developers. Some have reported of other versions having problems so 1.4.2 should do. This is a custom recovery that can be booted when turning on the phone.
  3. Restart the phone. When the blue LED flashes, press the volume down button. Reboot it twice. Go to Recovery-->Custom Recovery. There should be some options to wipe the data and cache. Also go to Advanced--->Wipe Dalvik cache. Your phone is now wiped of everything. Make sure you take backups.
  4. Select "Install Zip from SD card" from Custom Recovery (This zip is the custom ROM which you should have already kept on your SD card. Some ROMs have multiple zips)
  5. Locate the zip and install
  6. Reboot phone

Here is the link for CM7 : [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) - xda-developers

You can claim warranty any time if you flash the Indian 2.2.2 SBF as it is official.

P.S. I think there is a way direct from Motorola that allows you to upgrade without losing your data, but I have never tried it.

EDIT: Okay slight mess up in the tutorial. You needn't root your phone and use custom recovery to wipe data and cache before flashing SBF, as the wipe can be done via the stock recovery itself. Updated the post accordingly.

Hi to fellow men and women in this forum..

I am a proud owner of defy.. and using i for like months..

here's a question for other defy"iest or techie's

Used cm7 and right now on Ofiicial indian froyo using official Sbf

1.when i connect my usb in cm7 My defy does not detect.

2.Can i switch to miui from official indian froyo.

3.Miui vs cm7 in stablity vice.

Thanks in advance

Happy defying...............................

micheal687 said:

Thanks in advance

1. Hmm. No idea why this would be. Are you on the latest version of CM7? You can also try one of the nightly builds : Listing folder
2. Yes. Just wipe Data and cache from custom recovery and flash the MIUI zip.
3. CM7 is generally more stable. You can also try WIUI, modified version of MIUI. It's quite stable with the looks of MIUI.

P.S. There are no women on TE. :p Maybe just one or two who made a few posts.

micheal687 said:

Thanks in advance

happens for me many time, try changing your theme (by theme chooser) and do it again

Hello fellow defy-ers!
After receiving my first Android yesterday I rooted and installed cm7.1 stable .
I've done a lot of reading over at xda but a few weird issues keeps plaguing me.
1. The GPS doesn't works
2. Wifi suffers from random disconnects
3. Camera performs somewhat poorly compared to stock rom
4. Had more than a dozen FCs on the past 24hrs

Although I'm finding the number of customization amazing but these issues are just a deal breaker for me. My friend has the same issues on his dell xcd 35 especially the GPS problem.
Please help, I'm beginning to think cm7.1 is grossly overrated.

Back