The New Flagship: Ryzen 9 3950X

Let me know how your experience is with this. I plan to upgrade soon but waiting out till bios issues are resolved. If not, I'll chuck both the board and CPU and get an X570.

@Marcus Fenix : New CH6 bios out

Source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112279-X370-X470-AGESA-1003AB-Bioses
Which board are you looking at? I hope it ain't ASUS ROG series with the crappy software support they have given us so far with Zen 2. Whats the point of having 450Amp capable VRM if you have no stable BIOS?

People are still facing a ton of issues with this BETA BIOS pushed out by Shamino the BIOS developer. Look at the woes of people with VCore and 07 Q-Code.

I have this page opened all the time on my Chrome. :)

Hehe yea pretty pathetic honestly. This time if I change the board, its gonna be an Aorus Master. Seems to be the least fussy one right now.

Vcore is not an issue. If people try to read and understand.

The Ryzen CPU depends heavily on a low-power state called cc6 sleep. In this sleep state, core clockspeeds and voltages are basically nil as the core is sleeping and gated. It is not possible to report out the state of the core in this sleep state without waking the core, probing the status, and killing the power savings of cc6. Therefore, MOST tools can only show you the last clock and voltage of the core before the core went to cc6. So if you were at full 4.5GHz+ boost @ 1.48V, then the core went to sleep, many tools might show the core(s) stuck at that value. The tool just doesn't know any better.
However, the latest version of AMD Ryzen Master can uniquely show you clocks and voltages in a cc6 state. No other tool can do it. Neat piece of info for the people looking to understand how their core behaves!

Everyone needs to read the reddit thread by AMD about voltages and stop using other apps for voltage checks except ryzen master for now

The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen

And just yesterday my pc was flickering/refereshing weirdly for no reason. I saw game bar was using resources now. Maybe they updated it or something but disabling it fixed the issue. This was on my 4790k.

Last edited:
So I installed the R9 3900X CPU today and the system booted without a hitch at 2400 MHz on a Asus C6H with FlareX CL14 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz kit.

By default it booted at 2400 MHz RAM speed which I then changed to 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34-48.

Cinebench Run
1564297547257.png

Idle
1564298003196.png

The temps are a bit disconcerting as it idles at 64-66C and went upto 88C on a CInebench R20 run. I am running a Noctua NH-U12S with 2x NF-F12 IPCC 2000 rpm 120 mm fans in push-pull configuration.
I also got a lower score of 6829 points whereas Anandtech got a score of 7155.
Funnily enough the CPU idles at 1.45V which is an ASUS BIOS issue for sure as per ROG forums.
I am running BIOS 7201 (AGESA 1.0.0.2) as the latest BETA 7302 with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB has a ton of issues.

Nonetheless this thing is a beast. I used to top out at 33-34 fps on a HEVC Handbrake encode with my R7 1700 at almost 30% CPU usage and now its running at 120 fps on a 3900X with the same encode settings and around 30% CPU usage.
But my RTX 2080 still rules the roost with around 460 fps on HEVC NVenc and all other settings the same as CPU encoding.

Check out the cable management which I have always sucked at usually.
20190728_130232.jpg

@Chaos / @wooka since you guys know way more about the nitty gritties compared to me do you see any issues or do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Dekho,

1. Don't fret about idle voltage. Even 1.5V low amperage is fine. 1.37V high amperage is my practical limit.
2. Air coolers have issues with sustained load and temporary spikes. No way around it barring fast water (high flow AIO or custom loop)
3. Yours Temps are normal. Check LLC and any multi core boost settings in the bios.
4. TJunc is close to 100C on zen 2. Don't sweat it. If you power consumption (cpu including uncore) is over 88W for a 65W processor (apply the same ratio to a 95/105W processor) then it's cause for concern (go back to point 3) else its just point #2.

It's also a known fact that all bioses are kinda voltage happy right now, cause PBO is so damn aggressive. And rightly so. However, if you're ready to roll up your sleeves, you can tighten tolerances on your voltage regulation yourself =)

If using stock PBO or PB2, you can very will get away with lower LLC. If the Temps trouble you much, turn off PBO. Just let the default clocks run. (PBO is on by default, just like MCE on Intel. Who would want their motherboards to post lower scores in reviews. Afterall everyone with a camera phone has YouTube 'guides' today when they can barely cook an omelette IRL. =)

Vcore is not an issue. If people try to read and understand.

Everyone needs to read the reddit thread by AMD about voltages and stop using other apps for voltage checks except ryzen master for now

The final word on idle voltages for 3rd Gen ryzen

And just yesterday my pc was flickering/refereshing weirdly for no reason. I saw game bar was using resources now. Maybe they updated it or something but disabling it fixed the issue. This was on my 4790k.
Sorry to say but that guy on reddit, the AMD rep, is just that - an AMD rep. His thing about voltages is as below in one line, and this is not a problem in the least, generous overvoltage on actual loads, is. He also says if you can get a monitoring tool to not ping hardware frequently, you'll be just fine, like CPU-Z or say coretemp. Heck, coretemp is the only thing i use for actual thermal monitoring cause HWMON is whacked out.

*HW monitoring tools are spooling up the scheduler so people are seeing somewhat high voltage even in idle while they're completely ignorant of power gating and actual power consumption along with the realities of silicon Gate operations cause finfets change endurance dynamics significantly*

I was looking hard at the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum since its not an Asetek system but pulled back after taking at the look at the extra wiring and hence extra cable management I would have to do. Seems like I will have to go that route although I plan to use this PC without any upgrades for at least 3-4 years and AIOs don't usually fare as well as air coolers in the long run with zero maintenance.
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Sorry to say but that guy on reddit, the AMD rep, is just that - an AMD rep. His thing about voltages is as below in one line, and this is not a problem in the least, generous overvoltage on actual loads, is. He also says if you can get a monitoring tool to not ping hardware frequently, you'll be just fine, like CPU-Z or say coretemp. Heck, coretemp is the only thing i use for actual thermal monitoring cause HWMON is whacked out.

*HW monitoring tools are spooling up the scheduler so people are seeing somewhat high voltage even in idle while they're completely ignorant of power gating and actual power consumption along with the realities of silicon Gate operations cause finfets change endurance dynamics significantly*
Thats why I only used Ryzen Master for the stats and not CPU-Z/

@Chaos I guess you might not have to spend on a X570 board now.

Last edited:
I was a bit too fast in jumping the gun in declaring all is well.

My PC is starting and restarting with no issues if the PSU switch is on and its connected to power.
However if I turn off main power from the PSU switch,turn on the PSU switch again and then try to boot all my RGB and case fans are running but the CPU fan remains off and the Q-Code is showing up as C5 which has no entries on the manual.

I have to do a CMOS reset,boot with 2400 MHz and then restart to BIOS and switch RAM to 3200 MHz.
The only settings I changeare as follows-
1564315760292.png

Seems like a ram issue. Try a higher boot voltage like 1.40v

I managed to fix it with the BETA 7302 BIOS posted by Shamino.

But my problem is the CPU temps.
With an ambient temp of 29C it idles at around 68C with Ryzen Balanced power plan and idling for around 10 mins with 3-4% CPU usage.
With 7201 it was around 56-58C.
I am getting 6875 points on CineBench R20 and the CPU hits 93C during the render so 4.3 GHz boost is not working . Seems like my NH-U12 is about to become obsolete.
Why does AMD even include a stock cooler? They could do the Intel thing and reduce the price a bit by excluding the cooler.

With an ambient temp of 29C it idles at around 68C with Ryzen Balanced power plan and idling for around 10 mins with 3-4% CPU usage.
I am getting 6875 points on CineBench R20 and the CPU hits 93C during the render so 4.3 GHz boost is not working . Seems like my NH-U12 is about to become obsolete.
Why does AMD even include a stock cooler? They could do the Intel thing and reduce the price a bit by excluding the cooler.

Can you try the windows default power saver plan (not any of the AMD Ryzen plans) once and see if that makes any difference

Can you try the windows default power saver plan (not any of the AMD Ryzen plans) once and see if that makes any difference
I tried out Ryzen High Perf,Ryzen Balanced and Windows Balanced. Didn't see much of a difference in my short 15 mins timeframe. Currently reading up on reviews of AIOs which I never cared about till now.

I managed to fix it with the BETA 7302 BIOS posted by Shamino.

What voltages does ryzen master show you? Maybe it is a case of very high volts.

Interesting, when I bought the first gen, went for the B350 Strix and the also have the ASRock B350 Fatality mini ITX lying around, I am so tempted to plonk the 3900x replacing my 1700, but really not sure, any of you tried using the B350 Strix with 3900x?

Power plans vs Temps.... Will help only in idle and moderate browsing etc. Heavy load will not vary the voltage really regardless of power plan unless the power plan is throttling the cpu frequency. Which generally only happens if the max active state is less than 100%. Saving pcie cycles helps little (milli Watts) and USB suspend helps not at all except for a lot of USB and suspended WiFi resulting in maybe a little less pcie activity (again, milli Watts).

Also, go by TDP. If you're using a newer processor with an old board, you may loose PBO which is practically dead on the higher end SKUs right now.

Also AMD is releasing power efficient (65W) non-x 3700 and 3900 within a month. Wait?

Back