The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

@raksrules

Speed was good enough. Took some time to download from Nokia site.

@janitha

how do I run maps in N5800 with Inbuilt GPS, (Dont want GPRS)... When Map Icon is clicked its just gives white screen with diff icons but cant see any maps, roads etc

Praks said:
@raksrules

Speed was good enough. Took some time to download from Nokia site.

@janitha

how do I run maps in N5800 with Inbuilt GPS, (Dont want GPRS)... When Map Icon is clicked its just gives white screen with diff icons but cant see any maps, roads etc
If the maps got installed properly on your phone then you should ideally be able to see your location on the map. Not sure why it is not showing you. I guess you can try them method of downloading maps from alternate source and copying them manually (no PC suite involved) to memory card

Praks said:
@janitha
Not familiar with that model, but if you want GPS only, get the full map installed and disable AGPS. For getting a satellite fix (minimum 4 satellites), try outside the building where the sky is not impeded by any building or tree. May be you have to select one of the icons for traffic view, satellite view, weather etc.

my 5233 battery has got some wierd problem....after charging for half an hour it shows battery is full and remove charger but after 2 hrs or so there will be only 1 level of battery renaining....dont wats wrong...:(.cn anyone suggests

hmmm.discharge your battery completely,take it outside the phone and check if there are any bulges,does it lie flat on the ground?(if not the battery has now gone kaput)

Then recharge it,to full capacity.

also pick up the battery extender app from ovi store,comes in handy!

I am facing this issue while messaging... Suppose i am writing a message and want to delete some characters, so i tap the backspace on the screen. But sometimes it such happens that the backspace is like stuck and that thing continuously deletes everything before the cursor thus i loosing all my typed text. How to avoid or recover quickly from this when messaging ?

raksrules said:
I am facing this issue while messaging... Suppose i am writing a message and want to delete some characters, so i tap the backspace on the screen. But sometimes it such happens that the backspace is like stuck and that thing continuously deletes everything before the cursor thus i loosing all my typed text. How to avoid or recover quickly from this when messaging ?

yup im facing the same exact issue,here too.

Sometimes i just type in some random things while the backspace gets stuck,it tends to slow and stop(but this does not always happen,i also noticed it does not happen while in landscape mode)

Hi guys
as somebody pointed out I have to use the internet if I have to access GPS or google maps on my 5233..But even though I can open facebook and everything on it, when I open the downloaded google maps application, it tells me to change the connection, internet , multimedia services or wap..When i chose internet it says network unavailable.. :s WHat to do ?

karan_n8 said:
Hi guys

as somebody pointed out I have to use the internet if I have to access GPS or google maps on my 5233..But even though I can open facebook and everything on it, when I open the downloaded google maps application, it tells me to change the connection, internet , multimedia services or wap..When i chose internet it says network unavailable.. :s WHat to do ?
In order to check your case, in my 5230 i just kept the 'Network based' method as enabled for positioning method. I even turned off the integrated GPS and using Google maps and my airtel EDGE connection it was able to locate my position, not as accurately as integrated GPS but quite well. So i guess it should work in your case too.

When google maps asks you for the access point to connect to internet use the same access point as you choose for Facebook and all.

i guess this is happening to everyone then because i also face this problem and my friends are also complaining , what i do when this happens is to go back in message , it shows the message till then and i again come back then its proper and i continue typing after that :)

hiviky2212 said:
i guess this is happening to everyone then because i also face this problem and my friends are also complaining , what i do when this happens is to go back in message , it shows the message till then and i again come back then its proper and i continue typing after that :)
Means when typing if this delete thing happens you immediately tap on the green tick to go back to message. I guess in that case also it keeps on deleting things before cursor :(

raksrules said:
In order to check your case, in my 5230 i just kept the 'Network based' method as enabled for positioning method. I even turned off the integrated GPS and using Google maps and my airtel EDGE connection it was able to locate my position, not as accurately as integrated GPS but quite well. So i guess it should work in your case too.
When google maps asks you for the access point to connect to internet use the same access point as you choose for Facebook and all.
No man, facebook and all the other default bookmarks open up themselves using "Airtel live 01" as the connection point but when i use the same for google maps, it says network unavailable :S

karan_n8 said:
No man, facebook and all the other default bookmarks open up themselves using "Airtel live 01" as the connection point but when i use the same for google maps, it says network unavailable :S
I guess you will not be able to access google maps using airtel live access point and you will need a full fledged net connection for the same.

I just tried on my cell phone using Airtel Live and it does not work. Works fine when Mobile office access point is used.

raksrules said:
Means when typing if this delete thing happens you immediately tap on the green tick to go back to message. I guess in that case also it keeps on deleting things before cursor :(
no it stops deleting after that , so message remains as it was till that time , it happens to me sometimes when i am using both gtalk and messaging and it works for me , just try that things next time happens , i believe it will work :eek:hyeah:

hiviky2212 said:
no it stops deleting after that , so message remains as it was till that time , it happens to me sometimes when i am using both gtalk and messaging and it works for me , just try that things next time happens , i believe it will work :eek:hyeah:
Pressing green tick will only select what is present in the writing box at the time tick is present it is more of a "ok" rather than "undo" button. I am using the latest firmware (v20) and is not experiencing this msg issue. Does this problem happen when u r using msgin with other applications runnin ( gps , music player, office ... etc) maybe delete just hangs due to less resources.

I tried sygic maps for navigation and it also shows the Points of Interests (POIs) in between, but when i tap on the POI it takes me to sygic menu screen rather than showing information about the POI. But in browse map mode (2D view) i can get information :S

Any way to get information even when i am in navigation mode ?

Guys sorry for asking the query again but is there any SMS counter application for our nokia 5230 ? My bro has one in his 6630 and it is really good in the sense it even tells to whom how many messages have sent / received from all.

raksrules said:
I tried sygic maps for navigation and it also shows the Points of Interests (POIs) in between, but when i tap on the POI it takes me to sygic menu screen rather than showing information about the POI. But in browse map mode (2D view) i can get information :S

Any way to get information even when i am in navigation mode ?
Thats because the language file is corrupted .Check PM

I have lost the stylus of my 5230 today. Where can i get a new one ? Can i get it at the road side mobile accessories stalls (near railway stations) in Mumbai or i have to order from ebay ?

Edit: Will be buying off ebay using 100 off coupon :D

raksrules said:
I have lost the stylus of my 5230 today. Where can i get a new one ? Can i get it at the road side mobile accessories stalls (near railway stations) in Mumbai or i have to order from ebay ?

Edit: Will be buying off ebay using 100 off coupon :D
you will get it from accessories stalls near railway stations :)

Back