The Raspberry Pi Thread

I guess there is no other way to fix this right? Or is my HDD a bottleneck or home Wifi (5ghz asus router)?
Realistically speaking, neither the network, nor the hard drive, nor the USB port should be the bottleneck. I guess the bottleneck is the Pi itself, since you're using Jellyfin. Have you tried playing the same content using VLC on the target device?

Realistically speaking, neither the network, nor the hard drive, nor the USB port should be the bottleneck. I guess the bottleneck is the Pi itself, since you're using Jellyfin. Have you tried playing the same content using VLC on the target device?
Actually it is playing directly only (no transcoding) since jellyfin doesn't handle the playback but I use an external player vlc on firestick. This is because the jellyfin app's default video player won't play many files.
I face buffering even on my iPad where I use Infuse to play the video. I even tried nplayer wherein I am connected to the RPI using sftp and over the network the buffers too.

I've recently used tailscale VPN to access OMV, docker containers and smb shares over the internet. Found the setup to be really easy.

Can pi be used to monitor cctv setup? Plan is to have a view only stream for monitoring. The cctv guy suggested an android box and a mi tv. I was curious if the pi could be used instead of android box or mini pc.

Can pi be used to monitor cctv setup? Plan is to have a view only stream for monitoring. The cctv guy suggested an android box and a mi tv. I was curious if the pi could be used instead of android box or mini pc.
Yes google turns up lots of options like this. Specific configuration and software needed would depend on your setup though.

nice, please let me know experience with them -bad review here for pibox i want to buy 8gig version for quite few time - its no where available , except pibox- which i am avoiding

Last edited:
please let me know experience with them
Definitely sir.

I was looking for the raspi4 for quite a while, and could not find one - except this kit. Needed a case, power supply and pi4 that's it. There are lot of things in that package which I bought though, and I would consider them 'nice-to-get's rather than necessities (like that keyboard-trackpad combo, case fan, hdmi adapters etc). Whatsapp has worked for me too, and I purchased using a credit card so chargeback might be possible. The shipment should arrive tomorrow
please let me know experience with them

So the package arrived,

Items missing that were listed:
The fan
The book

Items different from those were listed:
The SD Card was sealed Sandisk A1 120MB/s 32GB, NOOBS preinstalled was listed.

The rest of the stuff works fine. The micro SD card reader provided was so bad, I had to pry the card out after flashing, which broke the card in half (it bent into two halves during the efforts)

Had to go to the nearby store to purchase one.

Have contacted them re:this on WhatsApp, let's see.

Last edited:
I am trying to do backup of DietPi. This is something I do whenever I remember. But today I am facing this issue where it is stuck at mentioned point...

Code:
 DietPi-Backup

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Mode: Backup

[  OK  ] DietPi-Backup | mkdir -p /mnt/seagatehdd/dietpi-backup/data

[ SUB1 ] DietPi-Services > stop

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : cron

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : rpimonitor

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : bazarr

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : radarr

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : sonarr

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : jackett

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : jellyfin

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : qbittorrent

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : lighttpd

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : php7.3-fpm

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : smbd

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : nmbd

[  OK  ] DietPi-Services | stop : proftpd

[ INFO ] DietPi-Backup | Checking for required APT packages: rsync

[  OK  ] DietPi-Backup | All required APT packages are already installed.

Only option here now is to manually turn off RPi (from mains) and restart it so all services are restarted. Basically, cannot do backups.

edit: Seems it progressed but after being stuck above for a good 10-15 min, no clue why.

Last edited:
Seems like some package update took a long time.

Instead of doing the backup manually I suggest doing this in a shell script-

And then schedule the backup script to run weekly.

#!/bin/bash

TIMESTAMP=$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S")
USB_PATH=/mnt/usb1
MAX_BACKUP_DAYS=30
G_USER_UNPUT=0
G_INTERACTIVE=0 /boot/dietpi/dietpi-backup 1
rsync -r --progress "${USB_PATH}/dietpi-backup" "${USB_PATH}/system_backup_${TIMESTAMP}"
# mysqldump DOWNLOADS > "${USB_PATH}/system_backup_${TIMESTAMP}/DOWNLOADS.sql"
find ${USB_PATH} -mindepth 1 -type d -name "system_backup_*" -mtime +${MAX_BACKUP_DAYS} | while read d;
do
echo "Deleting $d"
rm -Rf $d
done

sudo -- sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -y; apt-get dist-upgrade -y; apt-get autoremove -y; apt-get autoclean -y'

I am using DietPi and I usually don't upgrade it. The version I have right now is v7.3.2. Latest is v8.x.x. So basically current version is like 1 year old. Now I recently read on DietPi blogs about shifting to "Bullseye" from "Buster". I am on buster from what I see.

I don't understand everything that is written there and what benefit I will derive if I upgrade. I don't want to do a fresh install and instead would like to do the manual upgrade as mentioned in the link but still it says there will be errors and some softwares don't provide bullseye version, one of which is sonarr which I absolutely need.

Anyone here who upgraded from buster to bullseye can explain what this is all about and whether I should proceed and what if things getting messed up? Fresh install and restore backup?

@Marcus Fenix I will need to check if I can utilize the one you are mentioning. I am using DietPi's default utility which I am not sure would be working same like yours or not but I reckon, if I use dietpi's utility and if in future things go sideways and I have to restore, it may be easier due to its own restore utility.

I want to try something. Need advice of whether it is possible..

I want to mount microsoft one drive to my RPi4 so that it is just like my regular external hdd. Then, I want to have qbittorent download torrents to this one drive rather than my physical external hdd and I setup jellyfin to access this one drive for my media files.

Is this possible to do? I read about rclone but it is confusing and I am not sure if I can do all and whether after doing that, onedrive will appear like a regular mounted hdd or so in my RPi.

Back