The Raspberry Pi Thread

I want to try something. Need advice of whether it is possible..

I want to mount microsoft one drive to my RPi4 so that it is just like my regular external hdd. Then, I want to have qbittorent download torrents to this one drive rather than my physical external hdd and I setup jellyfin to access this one drive for my media files.

Is this possible to do? I read about rclone but it is confusing and I am not sure if I can do all and whether after doing that, onedrive will appear like a regular mounted hdd or so in my RPi.
This can work but it's a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.
You are,

1. Downloading content from internet
2. Uploading it back to onedrive
3. Downloading it again from onedrive to watch it.
4. Add another download/upload if you are seeding it back to 1.0 ratio.

The added latency will make a lot of operations incredibly slow. You could add a local cache with rclone and that'll help with some stuff but the performance will not be great. :/

This can work but it's a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.
You are,

1. Downloading content from internet
2. Uploading it back to onedrive
3. Downloading it again from onedrive to watch it.
4. Add another download/upload if you are seeding it back to 1.0 ratio.

The added latency will make a lot of operations incredibly slow. You could add a local cache with rclone and that'll help with some stuff but the performance will not be great. :/

I wanted the onedrive to be destination without having my HDD as middle man.

I wanted the onedrive to be destination without having my HDD as middle man.
You do have something like this for Linux but I don't know if its been ported to the Rpi or something identical exists. Even then you would be limited by the memory of the system so large files will create issues. It is better to set up a sync with a local folder. If you find Rclone too complex then maybe try something like this as mentioned in this thread.
Edit : Alternatively this post details the steps for setting up a persistent mount point for Onedrive using Rclone and it does not seem all that complex. I may be wrong as I have never used it personally.

Last edited:
The DietPI software that runs my Pi is stored on a Microsd card. If i remove this Microsd card and use another card and flash say latest bullseye version of DietPI on that and load in the Pi, I will now have the newest version of DietPI in it.

Now later say I decide to just remove this new Microsd card and put back the old one, will all the things work like expected and now my Pi will be back how it was originally (in terms of OS)?

The DietPI software that runs my Pi is stored on a Microsd card. If i remove this Microsd card and use another card and flash say latest bullseye version of DietPI on that and load in the Pi, I will now have the newest version of DietPI in it.

Now later say I decide to just remove this new Microsd card and put back the old one, will all the things work like expected and now my Pi will be back how it was originally (in terms of OS)?
Yes, there is no onboard storage on the pi itself. Everything is stored on the card, you will be back to the state when the old card was put in.

Does the Raspberry Pi 4's USB 3 Port have enough power to drive a 2.5 Inch external portal HDD like WD Passport? I was using my earlier seagate external and then WD passport but since both went bad, I am having this question in my mind.
If yes then would having a powered USB Hub help? I don't want to spend on USB Hub (powered only) if it not really desired.

At the time when the HDD went bad, I did not use any other USB port on my Pi, only one USB 3.0 port was used and MicroSD card in its dedicated slot which hosts the OS.

Does the Raspberry Pi 4's USB 3 Port have enough power to drive a 2.5 Inch external portal HDD like WD Passport? I was using my earlier seagate external and then WD passport but since both went bad, I am having this question in my mind.
If yes then would having a powered USB Hub help? I don't want to spend on USB Hub (powered only) if it not really desired.

At the time when the HDD went bad, I did not use any other USB port on my Pi, only one USB 3.0 port was used and MicroSD card in its dedicated slot which hosts the OS.
Preference will be on external powered drives. You will also see disks dropping less when powered externally.

Tried running Backup+ 4TB with external power on rpi2, it worked flawlessly. Obviously USB transfer speeds on rpi2 vs rpi4 will be different. If it can work on rpi2 it will work on rpi4.

Preference will be on external powered drives. You will also see disks dropping less when powered externally.

Tried running Backup+ 4TB with external power on rpi2, it worked flawlessly. Obviously USB transfer speeds on rpi2 vs rpi4 will be different. If it can work on rpi2 it will work on rpi4.

So when it comes to someone like me using an external portable drive which is designed to derive power from USB port itself, in such cases, instead if I use powered USB Hub and attach the drive to that, I am assuming it may mean more reliable operation of the drive?

Also, I was checking powered USB hubs on amazon and seems there are far and few. The ones that are existing use a MicroUSB connector where I need to supply my own charger and cable to power the hub. Are these hubs adequate or good or I need to get one of those with round DC connector and a wall adapter?

So when it comes to someone like me using an external portable drive which is designed to derive power from USB port itself, in such cases, instead if I use powered USB Hub and attach the drive to that, I am assuming it may mean more reliable operation of the drive?
While this is true, I ran it for week or two. In your case you will be running 24x7 365 days and these portable drives have bad ventilation and thermal management which affects the drive adversely.

Additionally I printed 80mm fan exhaust to seat along with the backup+ drive to dissipate heat better. If you would like to tinker and then settle down I'll recommend this approach.

Also, I was checking powered USB hubs on amazon and seems there are far and few. The ones that are existing use a MicroUSB connector where I need to supply my own charger and cable to power the hub. Are these hubs adequate or good or I need to get one of those with round DC connector and a wall adapter?
Get one with round dc connector that will be better.

Something like this

Does the Raspberry Pi 4's USB 3 Port have enough power to drive a 2.5 Inch external portal HDD like WD Passport? I was using my earlier seagate external and then WD passport but since both went bad.
Are you using official power adaptor for the Pi? 5V 3A output to be precise.

As per official specs, "A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total." I assume some HDDs pull upto 1A current, in such cases you might see frequent disconnection issue.

Are you using official power adaptor for the Pi? 5V 3A output to be precise.

As per official specs, "A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total." I assume some HDDs pull upto 1A current, in such cases you might see frequent disconnection issue.

It is not really official one but it is 3A one which came in the Kit I got from PiBox India.

I keep reading about this "Docker" thing wherein people run the same apps like torrent client, sonarr, radarr, jellyfin etc but using docker. I got that this is kind of container for each app and it is like the apps are in their own bubble or something.
Can someone tell me what it is and is and what is benefit of using docker to install above mentioned apps as against the regular way I do?
Also, anyone here using docker on DietPi and how is it working?

I keep reading about this "Docker" thing wherein people run the same apps like torrent client, sonarr, radarr, jellyfin etc but using docker. I got that this is kind of container for each app and it is like the apps are in their own bubble or something.
Can someone tell me what it is and is and what is benefit of using docker to install above mentioned apps as against the regular way I do?
Also, anyone here using docker on DietPi and how is it working?
Docker containers are synonymous with apps and you can consider "Docker" as the app store.
If an application has a docker image, you can deploy it using Docker(Portainer in some cases), the advantage of doing it via Docker is the ability to auto-run and manage containers, which is needed if you have set up a dozen of them that "talk" to each other.

I have been running the following on my RPi 4B 4 GB version; Deluge seedbox, Pi hole server, Plex Media Server and Samba NAS. It was running from a 16 GB SD card. Now due to "Space restrictions" Plex and Pihole don't work, stuck in Login loop. Earlier I was able to fix it by deleting /var/logs and /temp folder, but that doesn't seem to work any more. I have already ordered a 128 GB SD card from Amazon and will be installing Raspbian on it. I do have SSH access to the Pi, so want to know if there's a way to copy settings/config of the aforementioned applications so that my post-install task is reduced considerably.

I have been running the following on my RPi 4B 4 GB version; Deluge seedbox, Pi hole server, Plex Media Server and Samba NAS. It was running from a 16 GB SD card. Now due to "Space restrictions" Plex and Pihole don't work, stuck in Login loop. Earlier I was able to fix it by deleting /var/logs and /temp folder, but that doesn't seem to work any more. I have already ordered a 128 GB SD card from Amazon and will be installing Raspbian on it. I do have SSH access to the Pi, so want to know if there's a way to copy settings/config of the aforementioned applications so that my post-install task is reduced considerably.
I'm not a linux expert but you can use dd command to back up the running RPI and restore it on your new card, will wait for others linux experts to chime in

Hi LaatSahab,
Regarding backing up you existing services,
1. For PiHole you need to backup both /etc/pihole & /etc/dnsmasq.d directories and once you install the new ones you can move them over.
2. For Samba get the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and you are good
Regarding deluge and Plex I have no idea.

Hope this helps

Regards

Back