The Raspberry Pi Thread

got the stuff - https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/quad-sata-hat-case-for-raspberry-pi-4
Shipping to india Shipping - $60.70
But will they ship to India ? and then i have to give chai pani to babus in customs.
given the love-hate scenario , and fuel to the fire today.

Currently unavailable. :(
+ .com, dont know if ships to india.
One which Radxa sells is better and Jeff Geerling has driver code on his GitHub (not to mention ZFS guide he wrote).
Any info on India availability ?

Last edited:
got the stuff - https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/quad-sata-hat-case-for-raspberry-pi-4
Shipping to india Shipping - $60.70
But will they ship to India ? and then i have to give chai pani to babus in customs.
given the love-hate scenario , and fuel to the fire today.

Currently unavailable. :(
+ .com, dont know if ships to india.

Any info on India availability ?
Don't these make use of the existing USB 3 bus ? Are they any better compared to connecting via the normal USB 3 ports ?

Don't these make use of the existing USB 3 bus ? Are they any better compared to connecting via the normal USB 3 ports ?
i don't have much idea.. and interested to know as well.
In fact very logical concern you raised - is SATA hats really worth if they use USB itself :thinking:

It was the form factor + if we take the route of utilising usb 3 route - we max can plus 3 drives ( 1 SSD boot and one big fat drive for storage. where as that hat will allow us connect 4 drives )

-----

if i discard this idea, do we have any powered USB-hub type thing available in market, can be used to power the pie-4 itself, Plus 2x 3.5inch drive ( SATA3 to usb3 into the pi)
can this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OQ0CYFE/ power Rpi4 + 2 internall HDD ?
( source: https://www.addictedtotech.net/best-powered-usb-hub-for-raspberry-pi-4-in-2021/)

Last edited:
------------------------ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --------------------

Anyone can help me mounting the NAS drive to rpi?
default dietpi-drive_manager of diet pi not able to do it, as its asking for password.
in the network shares, I have multiple username, but all blank password. ... dietpi manager don't accept blank password hence not finishing the process.

tried to do it manually, even followed this step by step, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
as well various other combination.
im not able to mount the shared in rpi.

paging @ibose @Marcus Fenix @Titokhan @tommy_vercetti @booo @codelad

Edit:-
made one share public, and used something like this
sudo mount.cifs //10.0.0.2/Publicshare /mnt/tempshare/
Still failing ...

Ideally want to mount the root of network share like //10.0.0.2/ only (without any further directory name)
[i run totally run rpi headless, so trying to perform this via terminal ]

Last edited:
Bash:
sudo mount.cifs 'windows_blah' 'local_dir' -o domain=domain,username=username,password=password
In fstab, the column which reads ro is the options column. You specify -o options like username in that column for cifs. For password try “” empty string.

------------------------ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --------------------

Anyone can help me mounting the NAS drive to rpi?
default dietpi-drive_manager of diet pi not able to do it, as its asking for password.
in the network shares, I have multiple username, but all blank password. ... dietpi manager don't accept blank password hence not finishing the process.

tried to do it manually, even followed this step by step, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
as well various other combination.
im not able to mount the shared in rpi.

paging @ibose @Marcus Fenix @Titokhan @tommy_vercetti @booo @codelad

Edit:-
made one share public, and used something like this

Still failing ...

Ideally want to mount the root of network share like //10.0.0.2/ only (without any further directory name)
[i run totally run rpi headless, so trying to perform this via terminal ]
Pretty bad idea to have a network share without any password though.
You should set up the password as all NFS/Samba clients should work smoothly with password.

Bash:
sudo mount.cifs 'windows_blah' 'local_dir' -o domain=domain,username=username,password=password
In fstab, the column which reads ro is the options column. You specify -o options like username in that column for cifs. For password try “” empty string.
nope :(

error code:
> CIFS: VFS: Malformed UNC in devname

a simple thing on Ubuntu works like charm
sudo mount -t cifs //192.1.1.4/share /mnt/share -o username=user,password="",rw
configuring the same in pi in painful.... still unsuccessful.

do you see any error in this ? ( it in my fstab - but doesn't work.
//192.1.1.4/Media /mnt/Media cifs credentials=/root/.login,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

You should set up the password as all NFS/Samba clients should work smoothly with password.
family member -- they dont need password, plus few old devices
but thanks for suggesting this, temporarily created a new user in the server, with us/pw and used that to mount using dietpi namager.
smb cant be used to mount drive at root level. and NFS dont support user/pw.. only public shared.
for time being theis jugard has worked.

Last edited:
I think the error is because of missing domain. Try using \username instead of username for default domain. Otherwise you have to go to the windows computer and press alt+scroll-break and find domain name from details.

sure i will check that later, The solution i opted now is giving me a granular control..,
I let the drive manager do the setting, then i replicated the same command for other directories with the access right i needed. working fine as of now.

Interesting product to work around Raspberry Pi shortages in some situations - use a Pi Zero 2W in a Pi 3B form factor.

Raspberry Pi Zero 2W To 3B Adapter
https://www.waveshare.com/zero-to-pi3-adapter-b.htm

Zero-to-Pi3-Adapter-B-details-9.jpg

Hello folks,

I am running a RPI4 with OMV (Docker + Transmission). The RPI has 2 external HDD's connected (1TB + 4TB) and has a 32GB SD card on which OMV is installed. The 1TB HDD is used for torrent downloads and the other 4TB is used for media storage. The system runs 24/7.

I wanted to keep a clone of the 32GB SD card and clone it to a new SD card as a fail-safe measure so if the primary SD card fails I can always insert the cloned SD card without having to re-install OMV with all it's configurations. Which software should I use to clone one SD card to the other? I was reading that EaseUS Todo Backup does this seamlessly... has anyone used it here?

Also, if I insert the cloned new SD card will the RPI4 read it just like the old SD card and load up OMV as it does now?

Thanks!

Hello folks,

I am running a RPI4 with OMV (Docker + Transmission). The RPI has 2 external HDD's connected (1TB + 4TB) and has a 32GB SD card on which OMV is installed. The 1TB HDD is used for torrent downloads and the other 4TB is used for media storage. The system runs 24/7.

I wanted to keep a clone of the 32GB SD card and clone it to a new SD card as a fail-safe measure so if the primary SD card fails I can always insert the cloned SD card without having to re-install OMV with all it's configurations. Which software should I use to clone one SD card to the other? I was reading that EaseUS Todo Backup does this seamlessly... has anyone used it here?

Also, if I insert the cloned new SD card will the RPI4 read it just like the old SD card and load up OMV as it does now?

Thanks!
Good question. Let me also wait for answers from experienced folks!

Meanwhile, I was informed to use a SSD and load the OS from there which will reduce this panic to a great extent. So, my PI boots from SSD and I don't even have SD card installed in PI.

Hello folks,

Thanks!

Hello folks,

Thanks!
Used this guide to backup my pi sd card to a usb drive.

Followed the last section, just before conclusion.
With cron schedule, the script backs up my sd card as an .img file to a connected usb drive, every day.
Using incremental backup, so just one .img file, no history.
The img file should be usable in balena etcher, rufus, win32 disk imager or the raspberrypi image tool too.

I have yet to test the image generated by the script.
Tbh it should have been done after the first image itself. Hopefully I get some time to test it before I have an actual need for back up :)

yes win32 disk imager is what @Black_Hawk needs.
get two identical card clone both card + keep one ISO somewhere else. - every month can rotate the SD card. pull out the card form pi- clone it to ISO, dump the iso on other card & insert in the pi.

Thanks so much my friend! This is probably the best way to go about it. I'll look into Win32 disk imager and will post back on how the process went.

Also, is there any way now to transfer OMV from the SD Card onto a SSD instead and then boot the Pi from that SSD thereby negating the role of a SD Card completely? I have a few spare SSDs + Orico 2.5" enclosure cases lying with me so can put them to good use.

@ibose Thanks for posting the link to the guide. Will go through it.

Last edited:
Also, is there any way now to transfer OMV from the SD Card onto a SSD instead and then boot the Pi from that SSD thereby negating the role of a SD Card completely?
I believe the simple dd command given in the guide should work. You just need to direct the output directly to the disk instead of a file. You can then resize the partitions after booting from the SSD.

I believe the simple dd command given in the guide should work. You just need to direct the output directly to the disk instead of a file. You can then resize the partitions after booting from the SSD.

This sounds a little too complicated and I have a feeling I might just mess things up in the end. Cloning the SD Card is a safer, less hassle option for me.

As it is I don't like fiddling around with the RPI too much. For the last 2 years or so it's been running fine. I just remote restart, shutdown, access drives from my PCs and access Transmission as needed to set torrents up.

Back