The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Just updated from DDJF6 to DDJG4 via Samsung Kies. Well Kies on my PC detects the Phone almost instantly when I connect to PC via USB dont know why some here are having problem doing that. Maybe some faulty settings and Kies seems better compared to Ovi but nothing to iTunes.

Anyway there is no Froyo update available yet (contrast to what UK Samsung Galaxy S owners are claiming on the XDA)

ultra vires said:
Luckily KIES has been working for me from the beginning. I am on Windows 7 64bit.
Same here..Windows 7 64Bit. Also one could download or update the Kies software itself if its still not working for them. Latest one was released on 18th August.

One more tip for the guys who can flash their router with TOMATO firmware, the latest builds of tomato have DLNA server support.. you can directly watch your movies on phone :)

ahd said:
Just updated from DDJF6 to DDJG4 via Samsung Kies. Well Kies on my PC detects the Phone almost instantly when I connect to PC via USB dont know why some here are having problem doing that. Maybe some faulty settings and Kies seems better compared to Ovi but nothing to iTunes.

Anyway there is no Froyo update available yet (contrast to what UK Samsung Galaxy S owners are claiming on the XDA)
jus wanna know.. if u update, will the phone have previous installed apps and contacts intact or will it be wiped clean?

^^ Yes, an update will wipe off previously installed apps. BTW, DDJG4 is pretty good. it's faster than JF3 which was earlier there on my phone and battery seems to hold up much better with it. though I hate the new swipe to unlock. It requires more force now.

hatter said:
^^ Yes, an update will wipe off previously installed apps. BTW, DDJG4 is pretty good. it's faster than JF3 which was earlier there on my phone and battery seems to hold up much better with it. though I hate the new swipe to unlock. It requires more force now.
+1 to this..also after update apply ryanza's one click lag fix..it works like charm and is pretty easy to apply

aruka said:
jus wanna know.. if u update, will the phone have previous installed apps and contacts intact or will it be wiped clean?
It wiped all the data(Apps, Contacts, SMS etc) when I updated the firmware. You can backup SMS, Contacts, Music and Videos through Kies before updating the firmware and then restore it later after the update.

I've heard Titanium Backup (Can be installed only after rooting) lets you backup everything including Apps and settings.

I was reading on XDA and some say SGS has only 384MB of Ram while rest 128MB is OneDRam which is a shared memory among multiple chips while some say Froyo will unlock 512MB of Ram. Official Samsung Website shows its 512MB though. (But doesnt mention about DRAM, ONEDRAM etc)

On Normal usage my available Free Ram stays between 70-130MB anyone experiencing this too ? (Browser, Maps, 2 Apps are running and swype is enabled Plus No live wallpapers, No widgets, No task killer running)

ahd said:
I was reading on XDA and some say SGS has only 384MB of Ram while rest 128MB is OneDRam which is a shared memory among multiple chips while some say Froyo will unlock 512MB of Ram. Official Samsung Website shows its 512MB though. (But doesnt mention about DRAM, ONEDRAM etc)

On Normal usage my available Free Ram stays between 70-130MB anyone experiencing this too ? (Browser, Maps, 2 Apps are running and swype is enabled Plus No live wallpapers, No widgets, No task killer running)

I don't think even Froyo will be able to make ALL the 512 MB RAM usable. As in other android mobiles, a part of it is reserved for internal use (radio, graphics, kernel) etc and it will not be visible to the user. And the unofficial froyo ROM that leaked this week (JPC) actually reduces the amount of usable RAM to 304 from 326 in the 2.1 version. But it isn't clear whether this firmware had HIMEM enabled.

In the end, what matters is if there is any lag or not. And I too have around 100-110 MB available most of the times. I guess its normal and we will have to put up with it till something is done in Froyo.

Is the latest firmware for India still DDJG4?

I flashed my SGS to JM6, but now idea GPRS doesnt seem to work. Earlier with the JG4 firmware GPRS used to work out of the box. I guess the setting were already saved somehow. With JM6 I'm not able to configure the APN settings for GPRS. Thinking of going back to the original JG4 if it will help :(

Does anyone know the APN settings for idea GPRS? I tried all combinations I could think of, but no luck.

GPRS problems solved :) Not from the site though. After loading JG4, it somehow picked up the APN setting automatically. I've saved them for future use :)

BTW Is it worth upgrading from JM6 to JM7? Any major changes?

I am thinking to buy this phone. However, i have heard about the issue with GPS tracker in this phone. As I use the GPS most of time, it would be a deal breaker for this phone if its not good!!

Looking for inputs from the owner. How good is the GPS tracking .. also specially when if we use it in a car?? (spending 26-27K, so i expect the phone to be real good in this thing)

GPS in car is ok.. But only in unofficial firmware as of now (JM6/7).. But yeah, the update to froyo will fix everything.

@arvnd: JM7 is a bit smoother, and is giving better battery backup.

Back