The Samsung Galaxy S thread

my galaxy s gets a lock on within 15 secs under clear sky.

here's what i do. first switch on the gps toggle, then run GPS test which identifies the connected satelites and then multi-task to the N-Drive app for navigation and it's working flawlessly, have been using it for a week..

i have no idea, why i don't get a lock-on if i dont run that GPS test :p

I got my galaxy s today. I must admit, I was quite apprehensive of the GPS, but was surprised to find a lock in under 15 seconds! Phew, that's a load off my mind.

ok, I found this: Switching GPS using the widget/notification bar shortcut sometimes does not work. If I go to Settings -> Location and switch GPS on, it works. Every time.

Hrithan2020 said:
Dude, it costs more than Rs 2,000 !! (I already have gprs connection and will get 3G provided there is a good airtel plan available. ) The only reason I want some offline maps is for the cases where I am roaming, or connection is not available or slow etc. (Plus it would be cool)..

So anyone using Brut Maps' online capabilities could give me a help ? Also, if possible answer some other doubts I had in the previous post ;)
I dont think i paid not even a Rupee for maps and works offline like charm .PM me i will give u the work around ,cant disclose here .

Giridegr8 said:
my galaxy s gets a lock on within 15 secs under clear sky.

here's what i do. first switch on the gps toggle, then run GPS test which identifies the connected satelites and then multi-task to the N-Drive app for navigation and it's working flawlessly, have been using it for a week..

i have no idea, why i don't get a lock-on if i dont run that GPS test :p
Could you please tell me, where you run the GPS test? How does your method work with the stock Google Maps?

Also, by locking in, you mean that GPS pin-points your location right? (ie, no small blue circle around your position?)

Hi Guys,

Am planning to buy the galaxy S, i want to buy it from ebay or any other trusted online vendor that offers interest free emi option with icici ccards.

Can anyone help me with the best option in terms of lowest price for a Galaxy S with bill and warranty ? (ebay link or any other online store link)

Wasp said:
Hi Guys,

Am planning to buy the galaxy S, i want to buy it from ebay or any other trusted online vendor that offers interest free emi option with icici ccards.

Can anyone help me with the best option in terms of lowest price for a Galaxy S with bill and warranty ? (ebay link or any other online store link)
Right now the cheapest hunt for a Galaxy S comes around 27.5K use this as a benchmark :)

Hrithan2020 said:
Could you please tell me, where you run the GPS test? How does your method work with the stock Google Maps?
Search the market for "Chartcross" and you'll get it, it's a freeware.
and i've never used it with google maps, i use it with the ****** version of nDrive or Sygic Mobile Maps India.

Also, by locking in, you mean that GPS pin-points your location right? (ie, no small blue circle around your position?)
yes

Thanks, I will give it a try. Right now, it seems, I hardly get a lock-in.

By the way, which do you find better (both in terms of UI and Street level detail)? nDrive or Sygic?

Hrithan2020 said:
Thanks, I will give it a try. Right now, it seems, I hardly get a lock-in.

By the way, which do you find better (both in terms of UI and Street level detail)? nDrive or Sygic?
Sygic's MapMyIndia maps beats any other by quite some distance. UI-wise I guess both suck.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

^ just like pat said, UI sucks in both. Ndrive doesn't have accurate maps. some roads are missing , many roads are unlabelled. MMI is much better in this term.

Guys I need your help. My friend wants to connect to internet on his Galaxy S via internet sharing through his laptop, which runs Windows XP. I have successfully enabled internet sharing on his laptop and was able to connect my Mac and iPod Touch to internet through it. But then his Galaxy S failed to even find the network.

I then tried the same through my Mac and surprisingly the phone connected to it effortlessly. Whats happening guys? Does Android have some issue sharing internet from Windows?

NOTE: He is using Reliance netconnect and the above mentioned setup and testing was doen using the same.

ive heard the galaxy s has issues connecting to ad-hoc networks, for example, when you use connectify with windows 7 to share your internet from your laptop to your phone via wifi directly. i remember reading that this issue will get sorted with froyo.

^^When would the the update be releasing?

Few more doubts:

-When I try to open Samsung Apps from Kies, it says the feature is not available for the country selected but the site shows India in the list as well. Whats this all about?

-How do I remove the email account that is currently associated with Android market on the phone?

-How do I close apps from the multitasking menu? Or does it always show minimum 6 apps?

I want to get a full body screen protector + a case for the SGS, so suggestions please :)

PS: I already know about Zagg, but it's damn costly and to get it imported in India will take lot of time :(

@harish_21_10,
Samsung Apps store is for Bada OS. That is why, it doesn't list anything for Galaxy S AFAIk.

AFAIK, you can go to settings->applications->manage application-> and wipe data of the google accounts . Then, you can re-configure your account.

The multitasking menu shows a default of 6 recently used (or automatically opened by Android) apps. (so,not necessarily active apps).

@Parv,
Regarding the case, I'm having Case-Mate's barely there case (Rs 650 , comes with a not-so-good screen protector). I really like it, it fits really well and just adds 1mm thickness to the phone. (I really like the feel of the phone, much better than the plasticky,fragile feel). But, if you are looking for more durability, you may want to try out others.. (Case-Mate's tough case being one.).

I've also heard good things about the Capdase SoftJacket 2 Xpose case (Rs 499 in ebay. Again, I don't know how durable that one is, but the fit, I heard is good).

Back