The Stock Market Thread

this has been a roller coster ride for every tock market player.

I didnt knew there were so many interested souls on board TE.

I had fortunes of putting my hands on RPL, RNRL, Petronet, Powergrid, RIL, Ashok Leyland, HDFC at really attractive prices.

I partially booked profit in RIL and Ashokleyland today.

Now regarding loss :
I have my money stuck in IFCI (could not catch the momentum in crash as i was busy later and could not track it, it went up nearly 17% today), Videocon appliances and Supreme Petroleum.

IFCI was a momentum pick and rest two were recommended by my brokerage house.

Now the future.

I see good upward move on monday and if the RBI cuts rates then it will add the fuel. Then its expected wildly that US Fed is again cutting rates on 30th so banking sector will be bullish.

On Thursday it will be settlement of F and O so likely bearish weekend.

People try to get good fundamentals company at really attractive prices. Try to accumulate in small small wuantity and keep accumulating.
Looking forward to more purchase in upcoming crashes if any.

Keep posting your views and tips :p here.

has33 said:
NEYVELILIG...was 275 last week (all time high of +400)

Neyveli has never made Rs 400, its ATH was made recently and ~275

I do not know how I missed this thread, really interesting.

Neotheone said:
Well guys, have a look at this: Wall Street Crash of 1929 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I am no bear but somehow the scenario seems to be eerily similar to ours....what's more, most of the capital that's been invested isn't even domestic. So I guess we must take our lessons from history.
Our Market has to reach ~4000 to be compared to the wall street crash of 1929, I dont think we are quire ready for that yet, but its time will come too :D

Wat i suggest is keep a stock loss of 10 percent on punter stocks..simply sell if it goes that way...that way if it goes down further, we can take better stocks @lower prices...
Almost everything looks a bargain..but markets hav recovered a bit, so gotta get cautious...

By the way guys wat softwares and sites u use for trading, stock watch??? Can anyone forward me ODIN or anyother software? need some realtime updates...

For cnbc fans---Live feed----
Moneycontrol

Neotheone said:
Well guys, have a look at this: Wall Street Crash of 1929 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I am no bear but somehow the scenario seems to be eerily similar to ours....what's more, most of the capital that's been invested isn't even domestic. So I guess we must take our lessons from history.

Not happening in India, this was the time frame in US when the great depression started. One of the main reasons for the depression was the expenditure in world war 1 by the euorpean nations which more or less rendered their currency worthless, hence the old queen decided to bring back the gold standard back. This virtually defeated the purpose of a free market mechanism and the effect was reflected in the markets.

India on the other hand, is growing impressively our domestic consumption is good enough to shield us from a global recession, very unlike the Japan, or other European nations which solely depends on exports to US..

Bad news for ppl like me who made partly payment for rel power

Rel Power to wrap up allocations on Thursday

Press Trust of India / Mumbai January 30, 2008

Anil Ambani Group firm Reliance Power, which had come out with the country’s biggest ever IPO, is expected to complete the allocation of shares tomorrow and commence refund of excess application money (about Rs 1 lakh crore) on February 1, banking sources said.

After the listing of the company on the bourses, Reliance Power would have about 43 lakh shareholders.

Successful retail applications in the IPO would get about 15 shares each, merchant banking sources said. About four lakh applications for less than 225 shares of Reliance Power would not get any shares, sources added.

source::Rel Power to wrap up allocations on Thursday

A tip for you guys :p (Thank me laters).

CDi Ltd. - The Largest Animation Outsourcing Organization in South Asia...

I bot this at 70 and sold it at 120 within 10 days :D.

A very good animation outsourcing company, aggressive management and great results. EPS of around 20 and it is trading at 4.5 times EPS i.e 90 bucks.

A sure multibagger given some time.

Sept 2007 quarter results: http://www.compactdisc.co.in/PDF's/Quarterly_Results/2007/Quarter%20II%20(July%20-%20September%202007).pdf

elss suggestion needed...

want to know whts this 10 year closed end fund of sbi mean when it says 3 year lock in??

Also have they stopped sbi magnum tax gaiin fund investment???or i can still put my money in it??

3 years lockin means u need to remain invested for three years..The fund will close at the end of 10 years...
THis fund is an elss fund..That is equity linked savings scheme..U'l get a deduction on your final taxable income (subject to 1lakh limit which is shared by other like lic etc too..)

Since this is the Stock market thread, i hope some people here can clarify some doubts of mine :)

I want to open a trading/DEMAT acc. Which do you guys recommend?

Sharekhan, Indiainfoline, kotak, SBI etc.

If someone has a solid knowledge of their charges(%transaction, initial charge, yearly charge), please do tell me (for eg., i've talked to ppl from those companies, but friends are saying that charges are different from what they say :s )

Small doubt about online accounts (where they give you a software and you can buy/sell by yourself) Can i give this software to my sis who is abroad, so she can trade for me from time to time? I dont have net access in the mornings for now, so an online acc is pretty much useless for me for the next few months.

TIA! :)

IMO Indiainfoline has the best online trading platform , some of the others who have online trading platforms are, Indiabulls, sharekhan, MOSL, Prabhudas Lilladhar, Angel, ICICI, HDFC, geogit (in random order)

I will recommend u Indiabulls if u dont plan to trade a lot. First it has zero account opening charges (Corporate plan most probably) as long as u keep 500 rs min in account. Also no annual maintenance charges. As of trading

For Intraday --- 0.175% per transaction (so basically 0.35% for an intraday buy-sell trade)

For delivery --- 0.45% per transaction ( so arnd 0.9% for a bull-sell delivery)

Its expensive than Reliance Money, 5 paisa, Sharekhan. But all of them has opening charges, annual maintenance charges + min brokerage per month schedule.

Indiabulls is quite good for casual as well as intermediate trading and for applying IPOs online. If you plan to do high volume trading go for Geojit or Reliance Money(though Reliance Money terminal sucks )

Regarding Mutual Funds : What does Annualized and Absolute Returns Means?

And how should one pick them .. I mean according to the above mentioned terms which would give a clear idea about the funds performance ?

And also which funds do you suggest for long term say a period of 5 years. My can afford a fair amount of risk.

Thanks,

Deepak

Back