The Stock Market Thread

well election dates havent been declared yet....plus i have a feeling election will be declared such that the last month of upa will be election month so ofcourse i guess next year...9months gone their...

Btw i was quoting just what i read in article...i m a noob in stocks..

Ya i guess when us declares when have hit the worst recession that time again it will break than ill enter...but i guess right now the time has come to enter for long term players......i m playing on moneybhai and seeing my luk

medpal your list look gr8.....i too have sorted that Bhel,L& T and steel sectors are the way to go for

Neotheone said:
Prediction is not too difficult these days , is it? One just has to look at the Dow and the NASDAQ.....BSE & NSE usually follow.

Is there anyone here who is bearish enough to believe the ~ 12K bottom forecasts ????

Try your hand at prediction, a week in advance maybe? Then work your way upto a month 3 months and ultimately a couple of years. Seeing the Dow wont help much then.

As for 12k .. how about sub 10k?

thebanik said:
man i also invested again to average out, but everything is red again, and i am again in for a big loss it seems. I thought market cannot dip any further but i was big time wrong. My informer also told me that this is not the period to invest but i didnt listen to him. :(

your "informer" - what did he have to say when the mkt was 20k? was he saying exit or screaming buy? What he says now has value ONLY if he said exit - right now, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who says buy. :p

By the way I wonder why the fish is the FED doing what it is in the US? they're paying for mistakes made by their corporates ....doesn't set a great example......FED must not compensate banks for irresponsible lending because that will only encourage them to repeat their mistakes in the long run with the hope that if they can't manage it, the FED is always there.

^^ Not only the bank, but it is paying for the extravagant tendencies and irresponsibilities of the citizens, US is just learning that it cannot sit above the rest of the world.

TheIndian said:
your "informer" - what did he have to say when the mkt was 20k? was he saying exit or screaming buy? What he says now has value ONLY if he said exit - right now, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who says buy. :p

'Informer' would have been a wrong term to use, he is a big time player and adviser for some of the top Mutual funds. His advises has never gone wrong for me and thats why i was able to save some face by moving out of the market and selling all stocks when market was @ 20k. But ignoring his warnings i invested again when the market was @ around 15-16k, and market dipped further, thought i would recover some by investing now and the market dipped further down. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . Right now he is completely tight lipped and all he says is that do not invest in the stocks.

Time to BUY guys..
Wen we were at 20k they said its gonna go up 5k to 25k, wat happened?
it came down by 5k,
Now wen we are at 15k, they are sayin it'l go down further, So now is the time to buy, it will go back to 20k..

Mark my words..This is how the game is played...

^^Maybe.... but i think you rather wait and watch for a few rounds of fluctuations, up down up down up down... and see if the market crosses a particular mark or rises above it everytime it touches that mark.. so I think it is the best time to sit on cash right now and watch the markets closely.

plus if u do not have any liquidity left (like me) what can u buy)???

I wonder if investing in short term FD's will be a good ideA?

Am I the only one who thinks that the stockmarket is the biggest scam played on people? And do CNBC type financial analysts really do anything useful? Seems to me that stock market crashes (or jumps) are explained by them post facto most of the time. And that too by looking at the effect and then trying to trace the cause, rather than the opposite (which one would desire a financial analyst to do).

^ Do you think if they'd be able to predict the market they' still be doing the job they are doing right now?? No one can predict the market and its only after the market that they say "We had predicted this and that".

Darthcoder said:
^ Do you think if they'd be able to predict the market they' still be doing the job they are doing right now?? No one can predict the market and its only after the market that they say "We had predicted this and that".

exactly...they wud be the warren buffets of the world...

ppl always predict one way or other...in a bull market there were many who wanted to be cautious...but that was drowned out by over optimistism in the market....

same way today u have ppl who are bullish....and they are drowned out by ppl who are bearish....

greed and fear at play...

Darthcoder said:

Exactly why I called Financial analysis a superfluous and useless industry built up around the hype of the stock market. Who cares about post facto analysis? I mean in an ideal and transparent world, maybe it would help you 'predict' future movements, but considering the nature of our politics and economics it's supremely useless. Right?

bitsandpieces said:
greed and fear at play...

Essentially. If anything it shows how ridiculous the stock markets have become. It's like a butterfly effect. A CEO of a major American corporation can fart, and it would lead to mass fear and selling out here. It's so horrendously ridiculous.

Coincidentally, Today's Laxman cartoon in TOI sort of describes what I feel:

getimage.dll

Hacker said:
If you play your cards right, you too can make money.

Yeah, that's the bottom line. It's somewhat of a necessary evil. If you want to make good money and not let your money get devalued by inflation, you have to play this game (no matter how disgusting it is). And really, all the suits, ties and economics jargon aside - it's a game.

I strongly disagree with people who say its a game just because theyve lost money in the short term. For me and the original **INVESTORS** the ups and downs are part of the market cycles that are needed to flush out weak hands/operators.I neither have the time to play this game(as you say) and follow it everyday, actually you dont need to follow it and suffer mini heart attacks daily. Earmark 4-5 companies which you think are going to be the next best things (After lots of research) and invest in them to look at their prices after the next 5 years.

This is what I do and thankfully, the market has paid for my bike and my rig in the last 2 years. Its not the question of doubling your money in an year rather than making your money 20 times in 10 years. Nothing beats long-term Investments. Peace :D.

^ I totally agree, but most traders / investors plus the cnbc types don't. For them it's a day to day (or rather minute to minute) game. I am totally behind the original principle of shares etc. - to raise capital for industries and giving a proportionate share of the profit earned thereupon in return. But what it has become today is ridiculous.

Guys am totally new to stock market. I know the basic theories of economy and stocks, but am not into analysis and all that stuff. Can anybody tell me how to gain systematic knowledge in this field? I am too busy with my profession, so I would only be looking for long term investments. Please tell me a source from which I can learn. I also want to learn how to read the stock listings in the business papers.

chic_magnet said:
^^Maybe.... but i think you rather wait and watch for a few rounds of fluctuations, up down up down up down... and see if the market crosses a particular mark or rises above it everytime it touches that mark.. so I think it is the best time to sit on cash right now and watch the markets closely.

plus if u do not have any liquidity left (like me) what can u buy)???

I wonder if investing in short term FD's will be a good ideA?

FD's are taxed @ 30 pc or so. So for a 9% interest rate, you get something like 6.xx % net no matter how long you keep it. Try going for FMP's or debt funds for one year + which will be tax free. They are safer. If you really have appetite for risk, Equity is where the money lies. For a 3 year period, Sensex heavyweights like RIL, ITC, LNTare good

soniclarity said:
Guys am totally new to stock market. I know the basic theories of economy and stocks, but am not into analysis and all that stuff. Can anybody tell me how to gain systematic knowledge in this field? I am too busy with my profession, so I would only be looking for long term investments. Please tell me a source from which I can learn. I also want to learn how to read the stock listings in the business papers.

Watch CNBC for a start. I think Business Standard has a pretty easy way of stock price changes per day with a good explanation. Try reading that paper.

TheBroker said:
FD's are taxed @ 30 pc or so. So for a 9% interest rate, you get something like 6.xx % net no matter how long you keep it. Try going for FMP's or debt funds for one year + which will be tax free. They are safer. If you really have appetite for risk, Equity is where the money lies. For a 3 year period, Sensex heavyweights like RIL, ITC, LNTare good

Your concept for debt is wrong here.

Debt funds and even Hybrid balanced fund are taxed at the rate of your applicable incometax slab (that means 10-30 % plus applicable surcharges)

The advantage these enjoy over FD is that returns are bit higher and they are allowed benefit of Indexation. (calculation of inflation and cost index set off against gross returns)

So overall tax liability is much lower than FD so its better that way.

vebk said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the stockmarket is the biggest scam played on people? And do CNBC type financial analysts really do anything useful? Seems to me that stock market crashes (or jumps) are explained by them post facto most of the time. And that too by looking at the effect and then trying to trace the cause, rather than the opposite (which one would desire a financial analyst to do).

Wrong about the scam part.

BANG on with the analysis part - post facto

Back