The Symbian Thread

Re: Useful Software for your Symbian S60 Phone

to be frank i don't have any songs on the phone, the oggplay is just lying there, i just use it as a usb drive between office and home. i listen to fm whenever i want some tunes, or i am at home on my comp or at office again at the comp.

i will give fexplorer a look though.

in the list i gave above i find s60spoton to be most useful overall. :) :electricity_cuts:

kumar, can you tell me, is there any way to install walkman2 software into nokia 5700.

if you are talking about the SE walkman2, then im afraid its not possible.

is there any free media player which can perform better than nokia's (s60) default media player.

Re: Tips and tricks to Symbian phone...

I found out some more tips with which u could use ur fone to maximum....collected these tips from various blogs.:)
1)Reboot to remove Memory leaks. many fones uses around 60-70% of ram on background tasks, but when using various applications (often 3rd party freeware) some ram is lost by applications not fully releasing back the ram when they are closed, this is known as "Memory leaks". Therefore its well worth rebooting your phone from time to time, when is up to you but be sure, you will gain back valuable Ram which will speed up opening of applications and general internal processes.

2)Defrag your External Memory Card. Although it is quicker to access data from the internal memory it is obviously not possible to store everything on it especially if like me you use your phone as a MP3 Musicplayer. I store all my music on my external card. So i recommend periodically defragment your external card by putting your card into your computer and Defraging it as an external drive. Defragmenting your Drive re- allocates the file chunks in a sequential order which improves read performance, even if you can't actually notice the difference.

3)Turn off active standby. I like a clean screen so i always turn off active standby, internal n-series fones functions dont use as much Ram as larger power hungry games etc. but turning off Active standby will gain you around 400kb of Ram, its not a lot but unless you use it a lot, i would get rid. To turn off Active Standby go to Tools/ Settings/ General/ standby Mode/ Active standby and select Off

4)Battery Life!here are a few good basic tips however to get the best from your battery, Most are common sense but its worth checking you've done them,

1. The best power save is by turning of 3G network searching .To do this Tools / Settings / Phone / Network / Network mode, Set to "GSM" not Dual

2. Packet data connection set this to "when needed"Connection" To do this Tools / Settings / Connection / Packet data, Set Packet data connection to "When needed"

3. Wlan scanning, make sure your Wlan scanning is turned off, To do this Tools / Settings / Connection / Wireless Lan / Show WLAN availability , set to "Never", dont worry you can still connect to wireless routers at home, it will do it automatically when you select "web and walk" for example.
If you use Wlan a lot the its a good idea to turn down the Wlan transmit power to 10mW To do this Tools / Settings / connection / Wireless Lan / Options(top left key) / Advanced settings (Ignore the warning select yes) scroll down to TX power level and select 10mW

4. Animated Screensavers, i don't see much point in having them running when your not there anyway, and u can save a bit of battery just selecting Date and time, To do this Tools / Settings / general / Personalisation / Themes / Power saver and select "Date and Time"

5. Reduce screen display times, To do this Tools / Settings / General / Personalisation / Display / Power saver time set to 1 minute (minimum)
Reduce Light time out To do this Tools / Settings / General / Personalisation / Display / light time out, Set to your preference.

6. Turn bluetooth off , Its really easy to turn bluetooth On and Off, just use the preset voice command, just hold down top right key and say "bluetooth" when prompted repeat to turn off, to search for devices you will need to locate the application from the Menu

7. Don't leave applications running by accident, check by holding down Menu key, select the unwanted app. then from the options select exit.

8. Don't leave the camera on unless you are using it, obvious but its better to open /close than leave open.

bumping something old...........

how do u ppl protect the gallery pictures .......and the inbox messaging section please .....................................thats one place where ppl land up first incase the mobile is handed over or ends up wid them.............

Re: Tips and tricks to Symbian phone...

hi guys . i have a nokia n73 and would like to have some info/help
when i receive a call i have only the callers name displayed.
since i have multiple numbers assigned to each contact in my phone book i would like to know if it is possible to have the caller name as well as the number displayed when receiving the call
i have seen it in several s60 devices of my friends incl 7610, E-51, 6630 etc.

Remote control s/w is nice but the range of IR sucks for the remote, and it hangs the phone too :(

there are many softwares for series 60 v3 but these softwares are basic and must have

to start with :

1) x-plore
its a file manager where u can also extract .rar and .jar files
u can hide anything vids, pics etc

Attachments

• Screenshot0010.jpg
    Screenshot0010.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot0011.jpg
    Screenshot0011.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 113

2) software is core player
why i recommend core player is because it supports following format

Audio Formats
MP3, MP2, AAC, MKA, WMA, WAV, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, TTA, FLAC, MPC, AMR, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw, Midi*
Video Formats
H.264 (AVC), MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 part 2 (ASP), DivX, XviD, WMV*, MJPEG,
NRE, MSVIDEO1
*remember these software are suggested for nokia series 60 v3

Attachments

• Screenshot0012.jpg
    Screenshot0012.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 113

mr.logan said:
there are many softwares for series 60 v3 but these softwares are basic and must have

to start with :

1) x-plore
its a file manager where u can also extract .rar and .jar files
u can hide anything vids, pics etc

this is the entire features of lcg x-plore

Features:
View all drives / folders / files on phone in tree view *
Integrated text and image viewer
View file details
Edit file attriutes (hidder, read-only, etc)
Rename and delete files
Create or edit text files
Create folders
Multi-selection
Copy or move files and folders
Send files by Bluetooth or Infrared
Extract files from Zip, Rar, Jar archives
Pack files to Zip archive
View Word documents
Hardware device info
View processes and tasks **
Built-in program update
Viewing, saving files in Messaging folders
Hex viewer and editor
Search files
Folder hotkeys
Simple audio player
Simple video player ***
* Protected folders on Symbian 9.x are not accessible
** Available only on Symbian 6/7/8
*** Available on Symbian 7.0s and higher

Attachments

• 2002708217778347718_rs.jpg
    2002708217778347718_rs.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 104

3)migital smart gaurd

its a software which hides and protects your data
you can hide your messages
you can hide your pics and vids
you can also hide your contacts
and many more

Attachments

• Screenshot0013.jpg
    Screenshot0013.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 129

3) handy blacklist

this software is recommended for people who recieve too many calls and at times you want to ignore specific call

features
Add specific phone numbers to prevent them calling and even sending you an SMS! The unwanted calls and messages are blocked immediately. The only way you will notice that person called you is by observing the application call log. If you disconnected a call manually, Handy Blacklist will propose you to add that number automatically! No more talking to unwanted people, save your time and money for those you do want to hear from!

* Block not only specific phone numbers, but private and unknown numbers as well! If you want to tighten your security even further, Let only those people you do know call you, and set the rest off-limits!

Attachments

• Screenshot0014.jpg
    Screenshot0014.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 108

4) best dictaphone

this is the smallest and lightest recorder for series 60 v3 ph
you can assign hot key to start recording
you can record in wav and amr format

Attachments

• Screenshot0015.jpg
    Screenshot0015.jpg