The Symbian Thread

Received it yesterday evening! Feels nice.

Guys, please recommend some forums or guides for noobs for symbian hacks/tips/tricks. Specific links would be appreciated, I've seen pretty good step by step guides on XDA for androids rooting etc., anything similar for symbian?

^^What do you want to hack in this ??? I guess there is nothing pretty much or may be I am ill informed.
Btw for installing unsigned apps you need to hack the phone but there is a better way. Just go to this website, create a login and put your IMEI there and apply for a cer and key file. It should be updated in couple of days on the website. Download the signing softwares from this website and also the cer and key files. Use them to sign your apps you want to install. In case you need an additional mobile solution, download the FreeSigner.sisx file and first sign using software on PC and install that signed Freesigner.sis in your phone. Also copy those 2 files (.cer and .key) in your phone. Next time you dont need any PC to sign your sis(x) files, just do it using this free signer application on phone.

^^^ Many thanks for the quick response. As of now I am not looking for some specifiec hack, probably just unlocking the quickoffice to enable document editing! :)

But I need to generally understand the overall concepts of installing the apps etc. Symbian guide for noobs would be appreciated. This being my first symbian, I could hardly understand what you were sugesting.

^^There is nothing to get confused so dont worry. It is same like installing apps in android / iphone etc.

Symbian apps comes in sis, sisx or normal java (jar) files which are compatible with your phone. You just have the file, copy to your phone's SD card, browse to that location using phone's file manager and click the file to install it. Done.

For you the best way is to check out the OVI store (now Nokia store). There should be a Ovi store icon in your phone. Click that. You need to have a data connection for that. Go to Ovi store, create a account and browse the apps there. Download the ones that interest you. It will be self explanatory when you go there.

Symbian is a no fuss straight forward OS so navigating in the OS is not a big deal.

Yes one thing that you require now are the offline.maps. For that connect your phone to PC in PC suite mode (this is important). Now open the Nokia OVI suite (download if you haven't already, should be 60-100 MB types). Let the OVI suite detect the phone and after it is done, go to maps part in the ovi suite on PC and install INDIA maps.

Guys how long the battery lasts for Nokia C5-00?

I was expecting it to last for 3-4 days, but it barely goes on for 2 days. And that too when this is not my primary calling phone!
Is it some issue in my case or it is supposed to be like this? Please post your experience..

Just 1 day? What covers the crazy usage? Was it expected? The specs say:

Talk time (maximum):

GSM 12 h

WCDMA 4 h 54 mins

Standby time (maximum):

GSM 630 h

WCDMA 670 h

niteshkhatri said:
Guys how long the battery lasts for Nokia C5-00?

I was expecting it to last for 3-4 days, but it barely goes on for 2 days. And that too when this is not my primary calling phone!
Is it some issue in my case or it is supposed to be like this? Please post your experience..
using it in 3g mode will drain your battery.
Try using it in dual mode or best when you just want it in standby use the power saving mode.
It is the last option when you use the phone switch on/off button.

New C5 5MP is here

But was disappointed that even it was fixed focus!

My e-5 5 MP camera has worse picture quality than my old 6630(1.3MP, even that was fixed focus but it was really good )

I am happy about getting emoticons too :). Just think what kind of CFWs we will get out of this. I am already using Photon C6-03 (Biovolt) and am really really impressed. My phone feels like new now.

^ 5230 and 5235 are getting the update so most likely 5233 will too. I always see 5233 not get listed in many places. I think it's because 5233 hasn't been released in all countries and only in selected few ones.

viralbug said:
^ 5230 and 5235 are getting the update so most likely 5233 will too. I always see 5233 not get listed in many places. I think it's because 5233 hasn't been released in all countries and only in selected few ones.
Yeah its released only in selected few countries. Hope it gets the browser update too :) Would be a nice face lift from the current one.

ggt said:
using it in 3g mode will drain your battery.
Try using it in dual mode or best when you just want it in standby use the power saving mode.
It is the last option when you use the phone switch on/off button.

I am using it in dual mode only man.. How much backup are you getting?

avinashwarrier said:
New C5 5MP is here
But was disappointed that even it was fixed focus!
My e-5 5 MP camera has worse picture quality than my old 6630(1.3MP, even that was fixed focus but it was really good )

A new version! Arey yaar, I just got it 2 weeks back! What's new apart from the cam? And the rates would be jacked up right?

niteshkhatri said:
I am using it in dual mode only man.. How much backup are you getting?

the thing is i use it mainly with my PC for internet purposes.

but when i go out of city limits i can go without charging in 3g mode for about max 3 days :)

Back