The Symbian Thread

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^Yes Ovi maps are fully offline (for basic maps and not satellite ones). They work great actually with sweet lady voice guided navigation (even hindi navigation available i think). I have tried it couple of times to find my way and it always worked. But wanted to check if there are other options available.

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
How did it work?
Whenever i tried it always asks me to sign in my nokia account and Then only the maps appear :S

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
ggt said:
How did it work?

Whenever i tried it always asks me to sign in my nokia account and Then only the maps appear :S

I dont have the phone with me now else would have given you exact navigation but it is somewhat as above. I have used it without internet successfully and got lock quickly too but that was probably because i was below clear sky.

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
xtremevicky said:
Google Maps are there but they are online ? Ovi Maps are offline ? :O

Ovi Maps ARE offline. And they have excellent voice guided navigation. Main reason why I haven't moved to any other mobile (read Android) yet. I rely on it.
ggt said:
How did it work?

Strange. It has never asked me to login all these days. I have been using it for more than a year now, and I really like the accuracy of the GPS, particularly in the metros. Best part is it's offline and I don't need to take a data plan for it - I don't have one for that matter.

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
Install Ovi Suite and copy over the India maps to it... its a 200ish MB install for the entire country. Metros all covered and so are the national highways.

You also get Sygic / Map My India maps for Symbian.

W@rrier

Adept
Nov 25, 2010
Pune/Cochin
MMI official ones!! The thing's interface looks like it came from a windows 95 or something though :(

and its not as easy to use as gmaps or ovi!

and Ovi maps is good only if you are from a metro, or else we need gmaps,

that thing is the best map ever! , i search for anything under its satellite, and it shows :D

Gmaps has everything for android these days, including voice and now offline maps( not fully functional but still)

they don't give a damn for us symbi users :(

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
It is free , no turn by turn voice based nav though..

Agantuk : Personal suggestion.. wait for the N9 , mindblowing device... i'm using an N950 as my main phone right now so i'm telling you from experience.

R0H!T

Adept
Jun 28, 2008
Pune
@Dhruv

is there landscape mode for N950 like in menu and multitasking view etc

and how is the camera? is it similar to N8 in quality or totally different sensor?

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
No landscape mode in Menu / Multitasking. Its a proto so i won't comment on cameras and stuff.. suffice it to say that the N9 has a great camera. You're not going to be able to buy the N950 so why bother..

cyclops13

Disciple
Jan 22, 2009
ggt said:
I upgraded my firmware version of my C5-00.
Found out it updated to a newer stock adobe reader and a new application called chat is now visible.
So this chat does it use the internet or displays the sms in chat format :S

Yes, even I updated a few weeks back and reported it here. The phone feels a bit snappier and yes, the chat application is normal internet one, not sms based.

raksrules said:
^^Yes Ovi maps are fully offline (for basic maps and not satellite ones). They work great actually with sweet lady voice guided navigation (even hindi navigation available i think). I have tried it couple of times to find my way and it always worked. But wanted to check if there are other options available.

Yes they are pretty good offline. Try out the Surfer Dude voice navigation!

raksrules said:
I dont have the phone with me now else would have given you exact navigation but it is somewhat as above. I have used it without internet successfully and got lock quickly too but that was probably because i was below clear sky.

Here you go:

Main Menu>>Maps>>Options>>Settings>>Internet>>Connection>>Select Offline
Main Menu>>Settings>>Settings>>General>>Positioning>>Positioning Methods>>Select Integrated GPS

avinashwarrier said:
MMI official ones!! The thing's interface looks like it came from a windows 95 or something though :(
and its not as easy to use as gmaps or ovi!
and Ovi maps is good only if you are from a metro, or else we need gmaps,
that thing is the best map ever! , i search for anything under its satellite, and it shows :D
Gmaps has everything for android these days, including voice and now offline maps( not fully functional but still)
they don't give a damn for us symbi users :(

Hey even i installed Sygic with MMI maps, but I found them pretty odd. The menu is so confusing and for searching any place, you first have to select the state, then city and then the area. Pretty frustrating!

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
agantuk said:
^ Voice on Google maps? Since when? And is it free?
dhruvrock2000 said:
It is free , no turn by turn voice based nav though..

Agantuk : Personal suggestion.. wait for the N9 , mindblowing device... i'm using an N950 as my main phone right now so i'm telling you from experience.

For android, turn by turn is available and free but not available in India officially but there are workarounds to make it work in India too.

W@rrier

Adept
Nov 25, 2010
Pune/Cochin
^^ exactly, turn by turn is there for android ! and now a new offline mode was released a few weeks back where we can download just a small part of the maps, ie if we decide on the route and destination, we can download it directly! and mind it, only for android!

MMI, was really irritating , i uninstalled it after a few days of installation

I just hope Gmaps do something for us symbi users, but its unlikely that they would do anything !

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Using nokia c5-00 and observed that when I go to ovi maps, it immediately connects to internet. I have set it offline at menu - settings - connection but still it connects. ,

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk